Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-07-18, 05:57 AM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
I think a lot of people in the state want Massillon to knock off Hoban. Im pulling for Massillon, because it is for the good of the sport. I don't like to see any one team dominate. I like to see close good games, and I doubt im in the minority. So don't think this is some vendetta against private schools, Im always an underdog supporter.

In fact, last year, I rooted against SVSM in Basketball, but this year, now that SVSM is in its rightful place in d1, Im actually leaning towards rooting for them. Because while they will be very good, they are no favorite. I cant help but pull for a team that has been in d2 since for ever, but now gets bumped up to d1, and now has a far more grueling postseason ahead of them. Fascinating storyline, im pulling for them. Plus, my father and my sister went to SVSM, so all the more reason to support the Irish.

Anyways, back to football, indeed, I don't particularly care for anyone school over the other. I don't especially want to see Massillon or anybody beat hoban anymore then the next guy. Im just rooting for some good games, and for the underdogs to triumph in those good games. Hoban just currently happens to be one of my favorite potential antagonists in a potential underdog story.

Anyways, apologies for my little billboard jape, I didn't consider that it would turn into a big discussion where I would have to defend an educational institution. My bad.
I get it. Everyone roots for the underdog and against who is on top. I admit the 3 peat state championships were beyond anything that a Hoban supporter could have wished for. That they have a chance to win a 4th straight this year is unbelievable. Most of the players, coaches and fans do not fully realize or appreciate just how special this is. They will look back all of their life and remember this run. I have been on both sides of the public and private debate and I do understand some of the advantages and criticisms that come from both sides. But I will savor this remarkable run, itís Players, coaches and fans for a lot by time. Go Knights!
Old 09-07-18, 07:04 AM
All Ohio

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, its a pick your poison in D2 this year, how in the health do you root for Hoban or Massillon, I'm hoping a sleeping giant comes along and wins it.
Old 09-07-18, 09:41 AM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
I get it. Everyone roots for the underdog and against who is on top. I admit the 3 peat state championships were beyond anything that a Hoban supporter could have wished for. That they have a chance to win a 4th straight this year is unbelievable. Most of the players, coaches and fans do not fully realize or appreciate just how special this is. They will look back all of their life and remember this run. I have been on both sides of the public and private debate and I do understand some of the advantages and criticisms that come from both sides. But I will savor this remarkable run, itís Players, coaches and fans for a lot by time. Go Knights!
And indeed, I respect your support of Hoban. You have probably supported Hoban years, decades perhaps before Hoban went on their run. I certainly respect that, and respect that now you are enjoying the good times for being a hoban supporter. My rooting for the underdogs does not make me blind to respecting the greatness that is this Hoban run. From the coaching, to the weightroom to everything, there is a lot many of us could learn from Hoban going forward. Whether we support Hoban or not, we are all witnesses to greatness here.

For my part however, while I will support the underdogs against Hoban, I will say that if it were flipped around and Hoban was the decided underdog, I would just as easily root for Hoban. However at the end of the day, no matter who wins, don't people come gloating for me. it doesn't matter that much to me who wins or loses of the top teams. I am just a fan of the game. And ultimately loyal to, and a fan of Coventry, and will support all of the other PTC schools (yes, even Woodridge).
Old 09-07-18, 12:24 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
That's my position on 98% of games. I am so far removed from high school and from having kid in school that I have no attachment to any school, so I am almost always rooting for the underdog or cinderella school. Schools like Barberton last year or
East the last couple of years is what gets me rooting for a school, or I just pull for the underdog. At the end of the day, you should never root against a kid playing his hardest.
Old 09-07-18, 03:59 PM
All Region

fromthe3 is on a distinguished road
As much as I was on the Barberton band wagon last year, they had 4 amazing seniors. QB, WR/DB, LB/RB, DB/RB. As much as I wish they are a program, they arent. They had 4 players that they wont ever see again. They dont belong in the top 10.

They are Barberton not as many athletes as Buchtel or East and not the money of the burbs. Hoban and St V will get there studs
Old 09-07-18, 09:34 PM
All Region

linebacker05 is on a distinguished road
With Clarkgriz comment on this. I always root for the local underdogs. I played in the city and love to see the city teams make some noise. East is no longer a surprise. A turn around program. Love to see those kids play hard every week. Beating two good teams so far , Hoover and Jackson. No offense to Springfield. East may surprise a few folks this year.
Old 09-07-18, 10:29 PM
All World

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
1. Hoban 2. STVM 3. East 4. Barberton 5. Revere 6. Nordonia 7. Hudson 8. Tallmadge 9. Copley 10. CVCA
Old 09-09-18, 12:58 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
OK, now that we're clear on who's one and that it's a down year in Summit County, who's the worst? The North- Kenmore/Garfield stinkfest the last week of the regular season may answer that question.

I don't see how things change at North, unless they can teach the Nepali kids how to play American football. I remain perplexed at the awful brand of football Kenmore/Garfield continues to play. Springfield has been pretty bad for some time, yet dispatched K/G easily. Cuyahoga Falls can't seem to find their *** with both hands. Walsh continues its slide into obscurity but could probably beat the teams listed above. While not a Summit County team, Field is genuinely awful.

Last edited by clarkgriswold; 09-09-18 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-10-18, 03:48 AM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Hoban
SVSM
East
Revere
Barberton
Nordonia
Stow
Hudson
Buchtel
Manchester
also Mogadore

worst-North
Old 09-12-18, 02:52 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
OK, now that we're clear on who's one and that it's a down year in Summit County, who's the worst? The North- Kenmore/Garfield stinkfest the last week of the regular season may answer that question.

I don't see how things change at North, unless they can teach the Nepali kids how to play American football. I remain perplexed at the awful brand of football Kenmore/Garfield continues to play. Springfield has been pretty bad for some time, yet dispatched K/G easily. Cuyahoga Falls can't seem to find their *** with both hands. Walsh continues its slide into obscurity but could probably beat the teams listed above. While not a Summit County team, Field is genuinely awful.
Field is a curious matter indeed. They had some halfway decent teams up to just 3 years ago. But im not entirely sure what happened. Surely graduation losses. But how do they go from halfway decent to 0-10 losing every game by a running clock in just two years? How are their cupboards allowed to be that empty like that? Suddenly low numbers? I suppose thats possible, xc and soccer are popular in Field. Did something happen to their youth programs at some point. Whatever it is, i sincerely hope they find a way to recover.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-18, 03:08 PM
All Yappi

Walsh as won 6 games since the start of the 2015 season. 3 of them were in 2015. 3 of the 6 wins in those 3 plus seasons have been against St. Francis of New York. All the while, they revamped the football facilities. What an awful program Walsh has become.
Old 09-12-18, 03:25 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Field is a curious matter indeed. They had some halfway decent teams up to just 3 years ago. But im not entirely sure what happened. Surely graduation losses. But how do they go from halfway decent to 0-10 losing every game by a running clock in just two years? How are their cupboards allowed to be that empty like that? Suddenly low numbers? I suppose thats possible, xc and soccer are popular in Field. Did something happen to their youth programs at some point. Whatever it is, i sincerely hope they find a way to recover.

Donít blame Hoban. 1 player from there 4 years ago and he quit football after sophomore year. Must be St V stealing all of their talent.
Old 09-12-18, 03:51 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Donít blame Hoban. 1 player from there 4 years ago and he quit football after sophomore year. Must be St V stealing all of their talent.
As much as you would like to accredit Fields woes to Hoban, I dont think I can oblige you. It doesnt look like Field has much talent worth stealing atm tbh, but if Hoban can find anything, be my guest. At this point I really cant blame a Field kid if hes looking to bolt. But no, id blame Fields soccer and xc teams first for stealing all the athletes.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 09-12-18 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-12-18, 03:56 PM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Walsh as won 6 games since the start of the 2015 season. 3 of them were in 2015. 3 of the 6 wins in those 3 plus seasons have been against St. Francis of New York. All the while, they revamped the football facilities. What an awful program Walsh has become.
I am so thankful they made the choice they did a few years ago. We got the right guy.
Old 09-12-18, 06:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by the123kidz View Post
I am so thankful they made the choice they did a few years ago. We got the right guy.
Looks like it. Larlham was the presumptive successor for years that the job came open, they conducted the search and fell in love with the present coach. Everybody I have spoken to likes him, but the program is obviously suffering. I understand the administration is not supportive of football as previous administrations were, but darn, they can barely win a game.
Old 09-12-18, 07:12 PM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Looks like it. Larlham was the presumptive successor for years that the job came open, they conducted the search and fell in love with the present coach. Everybody I have spoken to likes him, but the program is obviously suffering. I understand the administration is not supportive of football as previous administrations were, but darn, they can barely win a game.
There is talent on the west side of Wyoga Lake Rd. Whether the adminstration supports it or not. They have the players. The QB over there came to the CVCA camp every summer for years as a kid and is the real deal.
Old 09-12-18, 07:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by the123kidz View Post
There is talent on the west side of Wyoga Lake Rd. Whether the adminstration supports it or not. They have the players. The QB over there came to the CVCA camp every summer for years as a kid and is the real deal.
With their geographic reach and campus, they should attract some kids. I understood they were undersized last year but had some more size this year.
Old 09-12-18, 10:39 PM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
I still lived in Stow when Walsh opened. At that time, tuition was quite a bit higher than it was at Hoban and St.V. Is this still the case ? If so, could economics be part of the problem ? Also as stated above, if the administration doesn’t support the football program, attitudes will reflect this. Booster support, equipment ( weight room, uniform quality, nutrition programs, etc,) and school spirit all suffer. I saw a Catholic high school in SoCal go from a state power to a cellar dweller almost immediately with the hiring of an anti sports principle. After 3 years, she was removed, and within 3-4 years they were back on top. Parents and kids alike seldom want to play if they are unappreciated, and once the downturn starts, it’s tough to get the train back on the tracks, especially with 2 other fine programs vying for the same student athletes. I hope they can get things right, because Walsh has to much tradition, to continue this present course.
Old 09-13-18, 05:28 AM
All Region

fromthe3 is on a distinguished road
1. Archbishop Hoban
2. St. V
3. East

4. Stow (lost to Hilliard Bradley by 1 and Solon by 14). Solon beat Aurora by 25 and Twinsburg by 38
5. Nordonia (Not real impressed with their wins) Beat Mayfield by 9 who only beat Walsh by 3 and lost to Jackson by 11
6. Buchtel (Played Avon tough and took it to Woodridge)
7. Hudson (3 tough losses to Fitch, Strongsville, and Springield)
8. Revere (Dominated Buckeye 43-6) We will see how they do against Barberton.
9. CVCA (only lost to Aurora by . Aurora beat Twinsburg by 14)
10. Barberton (Lost 4 All State seniors last year. Only beat Norton by 1)
Old 09-13-18, 07:45 AM
Junior Varsity

ELKSTWO is on a distinguished road
Summit county?? LOL what a joke. Come down to greene county and you'll meet the dirtiest, meanest, and toughest young whipper snapper by the name trevor smith. He's got one of the biggest guts but he can move and hell he can hit too. I'm taking trevor in the board drill over anyone from summit county. All hail greene county
Old 09-13-18, 07:52 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELKSTWO View Post
Summit county?? LOL what a joke. Come down to greene county and you'll meet the dirtiest, meanest, and toughest young whipper snapper by the name trevor smith. He's got one of the biggest guts but he can move and hell he can hit too. I'm taking trevor in the board drill over anyone from summit county. All hail greene county
Inbreeding can result in some real physical specimens.
Old 09-13-18, 08:21 AM
All Ohio

JimmyOhio75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Inbreeding can result in some real physical specimens.
Old 09-13-18, 09:44 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Iíll take Rumler from Hoban on the board drill against anyone. Ever see the movie Blindside?
Old 09-13-18, 11:02 AM
Junior Varsity

ELKSTWO is on a distinguished road
Yeah I seen it. Trevor smith aint like that scrawny little country boy gettin drivin into the stands though. He's like an aggressive porcupine gettin ready to attack on his prey, he doesn't use his spikes though. Just hard nosed brute force with great pad level
Old 09-13-18, 11:51 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Yeah I seen it. Trevor smith aint like that scrawny little country boy gettin drivin into the stands though. He's like an aggressive porcupine gettin ready to attack on his prey, he doesn't use his spikes though. Just hard nosed brute force with great pad level
An aggressive porcupine!?! You know, it's just a hunch, but I'm feeling this thread is about to take a disturbing turn...
Old 09-13-18, 12:12 PM
All Ohio

JimmyOhio75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

I would love to see this Smith kid straight up against Rumler. Would be very entertaining I bet. I know nothing about Smith but Rumler is probably the most dominating high school lineman I have ever seen. And that includes 4 years of playing and 15 years of coaching football at various levels, including high school.
Old 09-13-18, 12:20 PM
All Region

Paydirt is on a distinguished road
Rumler would crucify him.
Old 09-13-18, 12:30 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paydirt View Post
Rumler would crucify him.
Now you've done it! Just when we had the conversation centered on nocturnal rodents, you had to go and bring religion into it!
Old 09-13-18, 01:10 PM
All Yappi

Results of Rumler vs. The Porcupine.
Old 09-13-18, 02:48 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Nordonia out gained mayfield by 300 yards, .should won by 30. Bad punt for td, qb tried o much and fumbler returned for td.End of half nordonia cb in wrong coverage, 70 yars td, qb miised wide open wr for td. So 9 point win could been 36, nordonia is a playoff lock, this Friday see how good.