Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-24-17, 08:38 AM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
You realize they didn't know this back in the 80s? At first they thought it was just a disease that ONLY infected gay men. Virtually nothing was known other than it breaks down the immune system and was 100% fatal
Maybe might dates are off a little but I graduated high school in the late 80's. I knew early on about AIDS and the importance of practicing safe sex in the mid-80's through school because there wasn't much known about this disease. And the education was all sex, not just gay sex. When I got to college I remember hearing this speech early in my freshmen year complete with the condom & banana demonstration. I think Eddie Murphy even had something about it in one of his stand-up comedy movies.

I'd say mid-to late 80's, it was clear it wasn't just a gay problem.
Old 04-24-17, 05:48 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Maybe might dates are off a little but I graduated high school in the late 80's. I knew early on about AIDS and the importance of practicing safe sex in the mid-80's through school because there wasn't much known about this disease. And the education was all sex, not just gay sex. When I got to college I remember hearing this speech early in my freshmen year complete with the condom & banana demonstration. I think Eddie Murphy even had something about it in one of his stand-up comedy movies.

and sharing needles. It became a "gay" problem because of cultural reasons (many partners), not genetic ones. Maybe in "church" they got different lessons but yeah, I don't know if people weren't taught this as part of their school lessons or they presume to forget those parts of the lessons because they do not fit their narractive?
Old 04-24-17, 06:18 PM
Cooling Off

Possessed is on a distinguished road
https://www.facebook.com/TheRebelPat...8423293760434/

Just sayin...
Old 04-24-17, 06:22 PM
Cooling Off

Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2011/06/99...eline-epidemic

Almost two years into Reagans term, only a couple thousand people died. Not until 1983 did the number of AIDS identified in the US even reached over 5000.
Old 04-25-17, 08:31 AM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
and sharing needles. It became a "gay" problem because of cultural reasons (many partners), not genetic ones. Maybe in "church" they got different lessons but yeah, I don't know if people weren't taught this as part of their school lessons or they presume to forget those parts of the lessons because they do not fit their narractive?
Well, sharing needles wasn't going to be a problem of mine. So I guess that is why I didn't mention it. LOL.

BJF is like 25. He wasn't even alive in the 80's so he is getting his info of his usual sources which we all know are suspect. Even if my age estimation is off its not by much. Maybe he was born in the late 80's but he wouldn't have been aware of the education that was going on.
Old 04-25-17, 03:20 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well, sharing needles wasn't going to be a problem of mine. So I guess that is why I didn't mention it. LOL.

BJF is like 25. He wasn't even alive in the 80's so he is getting his info of his usual sources which we all know are suspect. Even if my age estimation is off its not by much. Maybe he was born in the late 80's but he wouldn't have been aware of the education that was going on.
I'm not above a little patronizing, patting the guy/girl on the head with reassuring words that the world will make better sense when he/she's grown, but even his comment seemed contradictory. I'm just debating whether it was done ignorantly or intentionally.

Quote:
You realize they didn't know this back in the 80s? At first they thought it was just a disease that ONLY infected gay men. Virtually nothing was known other than it breaks down the immune system and was 100% fatal
Does he really believe, was he really taught that there was a virus that could identify someone as "gay" (genetically? culturally? wardrobe?) before attacking that person's immune system? lol. Of course he doesn't, nor was he taught that.

He either made it up whole cloth or just thought to throw it out there thinking it wouldn't be challenged. We've a couple posters like to try that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: