Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-07-19, 08:24 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
A small snippet from the FC Cincy stadium deal: Cincinnati Police will move the Investigative Unit from District 1 HQ to District 3. Says in the article they'll move it to the Ferguson building but maybe they'll consider the old D3 HQ on Warsaw?

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...nd/2792614002/
Old 02-11-19, 10:12 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
You are correct, the school districts are all on the decline. Oak Hills, Colerain, Harrison, and Taylor all used to be rated "Excellent." Now the highest rated high schools are a "C" and those are Harrison, Oak Hills, and Northwest. Every other high school on the west side is a D or F. East side high schools are much better rated, numerous high schools that are A or B by the state. Plus those areas don't have completely dilapidated and empty business districts.

Throwing money at the situation isn't working as every municipality and neighborhood on the West Side have had rapidly increasing property taxes and the problem is getting worse. People wouldn't have an issue paying high taxes if there was something to show for it. Every county outside of Hamilton has lower taxes and more to show with regards to overall basic services. Something is drastically wrong with Hamilton County and the West Side communities in particular, and it is beyond sad to see.
The state rankings are a joke. They are nothing more than a ranking of the socioeconomic makeup of the respective communities. There are no diverse districts anywhere near the top and there are no upper class districts near the bottom. Big surprise. People can use them as an excuse to justify whatever prejudice they harbor but doesn't mean a quality education isn't available in most public school systems outside the large urban districts.
Old 02-11-19, 01:33 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
The state rankings are a joke. They are nothing more than a ranking of the socioeconomic makeup of the respective communities. There are no diverse districts anywhere near the top and there are no upper class districts near the bottom. Big surprise. People can use them as an excuse to justify whatever prejudice they harbor but doesn't mean a quality education isn't available in most public school systems outside the large urban districts.
You can get a great education at West High but it is a lot harder to do so and you have to overcome more obstacles than you would at Elder or Seton. I would not send a child there, or Oak Hills for that matter.
Old 02-11-19, 01:40 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
You can get a great education at West High but it is a lot harder to do so and you have to overcome more obstacles than you would at Elder or Seton. I would not send a child there, or Oak Hills for that matter.
I'm sure you wouldn't. I doubt there's anyone in this forum besides me that would. That's beside my point about the state rankings. Who is surprised that Indian Hill, Madeira, Wyoming and Mariemont are the highest ranked districts in the county? The state is doing us a great service by providing that list, right?
Old 02-11-19, 03:35 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Rybolt and Harrison is a disaster every time a different government agency decides to do any work in the area, but it should get a little better (at least temporarily): http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts...bolt-Road.aspx
Old 02-11-19, 07:56 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
Rybolt and Harrison is a disaster every time a different government agency decides to do any work in the area, but it should get a little better (at least temporarily): http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts...bolt-Road.aspx
People that didnít realize they took away the turn on red option were losing their minds when someone in front actually followed directions and waited for the green light.
Old 02-12-19, 12:07 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Just noticed that tonight on my way home. Thought I was going crazy as I was sure they eliminated the left turn on red sign awhile ago. I will continue to turn left on red as long as there is no cop present; I didn't understand why they removed it in the first place. It's a perfectly safe maneuver unless you're a moron
Old 02-12-19, 10:14 AM
All Ohio

epanther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Closing Rybolt again for 6 weeks buggers everything up. I think they need a light at the other end of Wesselman on Harrison so it does not back up in the morning from people trying to turn left. This would give people in the new subdivision a way to go instead of towards Rybolt.
Old 02-12-19, 11:18 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by epanther View Post
Closing Rybolt again for 6 weeks buggers everything up. I think they need a light at the other end of Wesselman on Harrison so it does not back up in the morning from people trying to turn left. This would give people in the new subdivision a way to go instead of towards Rybolt.
A light there is much needed. Probably won't happen until a fatal accident happens.
Old 02-12-19, 11:47 AM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
I'm sure you wouldn't. I doubt there's anyone in this forum besides me that would.
I disagree. Many would and some do. The top 20+% of athletes and students at Taylor and Oak Hills are very similar to those at Elder.
Old 02-12-19, 04:29 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
I disagree. Many would and some do. The top 20+% of athletes and students at Taylor and Oak Hills are very similar to those at Elder.
Not a clue what you mean by that. But that's OK. I'm not trying to compare public schools to Elder. I simply made a comment on the state report cards.
Old 02-14-19, 02:24 PM
All World

It looks like the Price Hill Press, as well as the other westside neighborhood "newspapers" is dead. For weeks it has had nothing relevant to Price Hill within its pages and the front page has been dominated by FC Cincinnati's new stadium. It really has not represented the westside since Backshider stopped writing for them and the Enquire got more directly involved in running it. While it included westside real estate transfers it was still of interest to me, but those listings have been absent the past two weeks. The clincher is that they don't even answer the phone number listed on their front page as their contact number.

I feel bad for the little papergirl who brings me The Press but I am going to ask her to stop delivering. I know that newspapers are not a big deal to younger people but The Press was always a good way to catch up on neighborhood news and that seems to have now come to an end.
Old 02-14-19, 03:20 PM
Freshman

SC10EHS15 is on a distinguished road
A shame to see. My sisters and I delivered for a long time when we were younger. I really never see paperboys/girls out anywhere anymore.
Old 02-14-19, 03:29 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
The death nail was when the Enquirer basically took over it. No surprise the end of the neighborhood news coincided with that.

Also, does anyone know what is going in at the old Miami Heights Elementary location? It looks like they are finally pouring foundation. I know it was mentioned in the past that LaRosas was relocating across the street to that site. Is that all that is expected to go in there or will there be more businesses as well?
Old 02-14-19, 06:04 PM
All American

polar panther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
It looks like the Price Hill Press, as well as the other westside neighborhood "newspapers" is dead. For weeks it has had nothing relevant to Price Hill within its pages and the front page has been dominated by FC Cincinnati's new stadium. It really has not represented the westside since Backshider stopped writing for them and the Enquire got more directly involved in running it. While it included westside real estate transfers it was still of interest to me, but those listings have been absent the past two weeks. The clincher is that they don't even answer the phone number listed on their front page as their contact number.

I feel bad for the little papergirl who brings me The Press but I am going to ask her to stop delivering. I know that newspapers are not a big deal to younger people but The Press was always a good way to catch up on neighborhood news and that seems to have now come to an end.
Sad but true. In the last few years, our Delhi Press Sports section has too many stories about kids from Moeller and other eastside schools. I wouldnít mind so much if it were StX and StUrsula, because a lot of westsiders go there.

The Press papers were a great thing many years ago, basically all local stories in each neighborhood. Also lots of pics of local teams for winning tournaments. Forty years ago the Press was the big sponsor for the Best of the West track meet. They had an eight page section with color pics previewing the meet. Then the following week another eight pages covering the meet. Iím really dating myself here, lol. Ahh, the good olí days.

For what itís worth I will continue to pay our local paper carrier. Even though the Enquirer has ruined the Press, our carrier does a great job, and if sheís out there in the heat and cold trying to make some money at such a young age, I want to encourage that.
Old 02-14-19, 06:48 PM
All American

Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC10EHS15 View Post
A shame to see. My sisters and I delivered for a long time when we were younger. I really never see paperboys/girls out anywhere anymore.
Newspapers in general arenít around anymore. Itís a digital world and thatís not exclusive to the Westside or Cincinnati.
Old 02-15-19, 08:11 AM
Freshman

SC10EHS15 is on a distinguished road
I'm young enough to be fully aware of that. I should've clarified that it's a shame because it's a good first job for really young kids to have.
Old 02-15-19, 10:20 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Newspapers in general arenít around anymore. Itís a digital world and thatís not exclusive to the Westside or Cincinnati.
Good point, especially for papers like the Enquier, but itís a real shame from r the Press papers.
Old 02-15-19, 10:43 AM
All District

natihsfan is on a distinguished road
Any idea of what is going in at the old gas station at the corner of Anderson Ferry and Delhi?
Old 02-15-19, 12:15 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar panther View Post
The Press papers were a great thing many years ago, basically all local stories in each neighborhood. Also lots of pics of local teams for winning tournaments. Forty years ago the Press was the big sponsor for the Best of the West track meet. They had an eight page section with color pics previewing the meet. Then the following week another eight pages covering the meet. I’m really dating myself here, lol. Ahh, the good ol’ days.
Remember "Big Bill" Staubizt on the local sports beat? It was great to see local youth sports featured. I have clipped many pictures of our own kids' championship pictures from the Press.

The younger folks may not understand but it was a big deal and unlike digital, it went out to everybody for the whole community to celebrate or acknowledge. With digital you almost have to know what to look for in order to look it up. Your niece's softball championship may not have been on your radar screen but there it would be in the sports section of the Press.

Last edited by Purplemojo; 02-16-19 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-15-19, 08:59 PM
Freshman

Virgil is on a distinguished road
Community Press

Most distressing about the Enquirer/Press situation is there is much going on, but you wouldn't know it by reading the Price Hill/Delhi/Western Hills Press. There's very little actual newsgathering going on. You'll see entire stories lifted from the Enquirer, printed word-for-word in the community papers (like we aren't noticing). I feel sorry for the delivery kids, too. What a way to teach responsibility -- lifting articles from the daily like somebody cheating on a school test.
Old 02-15-19, 09:10 PM
Freshman

Virgil is on a distinguished road
By the way, has anybody heard the rumor that Meijer is moving into the property formerly occupied by the Delhi Remke's? We need some healthy competition on the Pike.
Old 02-16-19, 02:11 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
Most distressing about the Enquirer/Press situation is there is much going on, but you wouldn't know it by reading the Price Hill/Delhi/Western Hills Press. There's very little actual newsgathering going on. You'll see entire stories lifted from the Enquirer, printed word-for-word in the community papers (like we aren't noticing). I feel sorry for the delivery kids, too. What a way to teach responsibility -- lifting articles from the daily like somebody cheating on a school test.
Very valid point. I stopped the Enquirer about six months ago. I got tired of having to wait two days then read about a Redís game, or a Bearcat game. Also they have basically eliminated high school sports coverage. They used to cover HS sports like no other big city. Yes, we were spoiled, but it was fantastic. Now they barely lift a finger. I also knew if the Enquier did a story about an Elder kid or a grad, it would also be in the press, for example, Jake McQuiade being in the Super Bowl.
Old 02-16-19, 05:05 PM
All District

vanman396 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by natihsfan View Post
Any idea of what is going in at the old gas station at the corner of Anderson Ferry and Delhi?
I spoke to the people across the street at White Castle and they informed me that the EPA made them take out the gas tanks, the building will come down next week and the empty lot will be put on the market for sale.
Old 02-16-19, 07:44 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
By the way, has anybody heard the rumor that Meijer is moving into the property formerly occupied by the Delhi Remke's? We need some healthy competition on the Pike.
Iíll repeat what I posted a few months ago when someone mentioned a Meijer store in Delhi:

http://yappi.com/forums/showpost.php...postcount=4277

Quote:
It would be great for Delhi, but Meijer isn't going to build a store there.

Think about where Meijer stores in the Cincinnati area are located:
  • Dent - Right off I-74
  • Colerain - Right off I-275
  • Forest Park - Right off I-275
  • Florence - Right off I-71/75
  • Oakley/Norwood - Right off I-71
  • West Chester - Right off I-75
  • Eastgate - Right off I-275 and OH-32

There are stores in Loveland/Deerfield/Sycamore Township and Milford that aren't as close to the highway, but they're still closer than a store in downtown Delhi would be.
Old 02-16-19, 11:10 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman396 View Post
I spoke to the people across the street at White Castle and they informed me that the EPA made them take out the gas tanks, the building will come down next week and the empty lot will be put on the market for sale.
Iím not sure what the timeline is but when gas stations close at some point the tanks must come out. Probably a good thing. I canít remember where, tanks were taken out. Then a few years later another gas station opened in the same spot, and they had to put new tanks back in. Like I said before, itís a good thing