Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-01-18, 11:29 PM
Junior Varsity

Shaky is on a distinguished road
Hamilton Big Blue. . .Who Should On Short List?

Who should be on Hamilton Big Blue's short list?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-18, 03:25 AM
All Region

Man Up is on a distinguished road
My first thought is, it’s probably going to be an experienced coach that comes from a winning and somewhat successful program. I know there are probably some young hungry ambitious assistant coaches out there associated with a winning program, however, if you know the fan base in Hamilton, it’s going to take more than that.

My guess is they go possibly out of big blue candidates and will be state wide maybe even out of state. With Hamilton facilities and The resources you will find a really good candidate.

They need to find someone who will demand and instantly command the respect of the players and

You could throw in a guy like Pullen, ex Dunbar coach , been successful, knows how to coach, has had really good teams, putting guys through college, has coached NBA players and will probably get the most out of the players. Just a thought
Old 04-03-18, 06:50 PM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Pullen is an interesting thought. What about Kerr from Purcell? He was the Middletown coach for 48 hours, he is a Middie alum so that played into that situation. Does he want to make a move to a bigger school? I saw them when they should have beat the Park, they are loaded next season.
Old 04-04-18, 02:33 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
Pullen is an interesting thought. What about Kerr from Purcell? He was the Middletown coach for 48 hours, he is a Middie alum so that played into that situation. Does he want to make a move to a bigger school? I saw them when they should have beat the Park, they are loaded next season.
I actually thought of Kerr also, but he backed out of the middie job, which he has every right, and he does know landscape of the GMC and itís expectations. Just wonder if heís comfortable at small school purcell and the ability to compete for district and regional titles. They make their free throws and they win versus deer park, nevertheless, once we all find out who have applied, Iím almost certain theyíre be some interesting names.
Old 04-04-18, 08:40 AM
All Ohio

chlnewbie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Up View Post
I actually thought of Kerr also, but he backed out of the middie job, which he has every right, and he does know landscape of the GMC and itís expectations. Just wonder if heís comfortable at small school purcell and the ability to compete for district and regional titles. They make their free throws and they win versus deer park, nevertheless, once we all find out who have applied, Iím almost certain theyíre be some interesting names.
I think he would be a good fit here also, but he didn't exactly "back out" of the middie job... Which I hope if he goes for this those same issues don't jump up and bite him again.
Old 04-04-18, 10:03 AM
All World

My understanding is Kerr was the AD's choice but some others weren't on board so they found a way to make it uncomfortable. Then he backed out on his own. Like many things this is second hand information.
Old 04-04-18, 10:18 AM
All World

Rooks at West and Neal at Bacon have applied the X and LaSalle positions. Can't imagine Rooks being a candidate here but what about Neal? Do those guys only want the private school jobs and the benefits of open borders or haven't been happy in current position?
Old 04-04-18, 11:14 AM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
The big question initially is whether Hamilton has an in-school position available to bring a coach in or will they create a position for the person they want. Some schools are limited to say an open social studies job or English job--other schools will create a position to have that "best" person step into--not sure what Hamilton's financial position is at this point.

Pretty sure with Kerr's high number years as a teacher at Live Oaks and his returning team at Purcell that he is unlikely to be interested, unless it would be a real sweetheart deal. I'm fairly certain that Hamilton is definitely going to want a coach to be on campus at the high school--who has the experience as a head coach or assistant coach, GMC knowledge, and not too many years at a school that requires a big paycheck to match years of education experience to make the move--big questions!
Old 04-04-18, 11:30 AM
All American

cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Rooks at West and Neal at Bacon have applied the X and LaSalle positions. Can't imagine Rooks being a candidate here but what about Neal? Do those guys only want the private school jobs and the benefits of open borders or haven't been happy in current position?
Can't see Rooks going to Hamilton after his experience at West so far. Can't see Neal wanting the Hamilton job. I think he has a son that is going to be in HS soon, I doubt he would move his family to Hamilton for his son to attend. I echo what CometCountry said about Kerr... Hamilton turned him down once and he has a very good team coming back at Purcell... especially if they remain DIII.
Old 04-04-18, 12:25 PM
Freshman

RetiredCoach is on a distinguished road
I heard there is some interest across the river. Young coach with head coaching experience in Louisville. But haven't confirmed with this person so no names yet.
Old 04-04-18, 02:10 PM
All Ohio

Youknow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Neal is an interesting thought. Hes applied for X, Lasalle, and springboro in the last 3 year. Kerr i doubt Purcell will be stacked next year. Gentry? Hamilton is an open district, all those kids could follow. Maybe Mahaffey i know hes been trying to land another head coaching job. Leon Ellison?
Old 04-04-18, 05:10 PM
Varsity

MUOhio is on a distinguished road
You can have back this year's Talawanda coaches.....please! Community might pitch in incentive.
Old 04-05-18, 07:28 AM
Junior Varsity

Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youknow View Post
Neal is an interesting thought. Hes applied for X, Lasalle, and springboro in the last 3 year. Kerr i doubt Purcell will be stacked next year. Gentry? Hamilton is an open district, all those kids could follow. Maybe Mahaffey i know hes been trying to land another head coaching job. Leon Ellison?
Maybe there's a reason Neal isn't getting any of these jobs.
Old 04-05-18, 08:19 AM
All World

GCPRO
Muohio-sure because the Braves were so very good before Coach Reed got there. Good lord.
How about Argentati from Northwest. Has won the league each year he’s coached there. Had some decent teams at Badin. I think Badin has had two gcl titles in their 25 plus years in the league and he coached one of them. I believe he may have applied when they gave the job coach wooden.
I thought I read on here that coach Rooks was leaving the coaching profession.
Old 04-07-18, 02:51 PM
All World

Argentati could be a candidate, think he has also applied elsewhere. Knows Hamilton and has experience.
Old 04-07-18, 06:53 PM
Varsity

GMCLegend is on a distinguished road
Those over the hiring would be idiots to pick anyone currently on staff....I also think it should be someone that knows hamilton and what goes along with being the coach. Here is my short list no order
Larry Allen- We know his history but I have heard those running things may not like him
Nick Argentati-former Badin coach, current northwest coach..applied last go round
Norm Grevey-interesting and most intriguing to me if he were to have interest. was an assistant at middletown with josh andrews a while
Scott Kerr- Always a hot name..wondering when he will get the big gig. I like his style and his teams win
Tyrice walker- former player, MUH coach, inquired last go around and was told that they werent accepting anymore applications per my source..jersey hangs at the blue

I hate to go backwards but Hamilton really got screwed up when Brandon Lampley got into his ordeal. I was told my multiple people that he was to be coach when Robinson left..Would have been some stability for a long time..I know first hand my son played for him in summer ball. Just my tidbits
Old 04-07-18, 09:42 PM
All World

Legend, Grevey and Walker are HHS legends but don't coach.
Is Allen interested in coaching again?
Old 04-08-18, 07:02 AM
Varsity

Both grevey and walker have coaching experience like I said HHS was an assistant at Middletown with josh Andrews and walker coached at Miami Hamilton
Old 04-08-18, 08:51 AM
Moderated User

BigBlue1982 is on a distinguished road
As a long time Big Blue and graduate myself we need young energy. Coach Allen is getting older and would just be 1-2yr gap fill in. They need someone to keep the program growing. The last 2 coaches (Robinson & VW) both left much to be desired from the fan base Hamilton. VW was terrible in all phases and was hired because of his name. Hamilton needs someone who can come in and excite fans about Hamilton Basketball.
Old 04-08-18, 08:58 AM
All World

Yes, really don't think that experience is much and qualifies as enough. Probably any coach would want them on staff, but these are two guys who have jobs outside of education. Also, Grevey's son is at Springboro and Walker's at Wyoming, that is probably the biggest factor that would prevent.
Old 04-08-18, 11:35 AM
All Region

Both grevey and walker are big blue legends and rightfully so, however, not quite sure that would be the answer.

Grevey- as was mentioned has kid at springboro, does he play basketball there? If so would he really want to put in the time it takes.

Walker- has some coaching experience as does grevey, but not sure that would be enough, as mentioned also, son plays for Wyoming and from what I hear is going to be a good one, so I don’t see walker giving that up unless of course his son came with him. But that would a long stretch.

Both grevey and walker know Hamilton and gmc and might do well understanding the expectations

Lampley- almost certain he would/ should have been a head coach right now and probably been pretty successful, how many ppl know Hamilton basketball and gmc, Home grown, bleeds big blue, played there, won state, played college etc. would have been nice.but we all know his situation.

Allen- not this past year, but last yr he was assistant at winton woods for one year, why? Was he just helping out? Was he testing the waters to get his feet back in the game, getting the juices flowing again. My personal opinion is yes he would bring instant demand and respect , knowledgeable about Hamilton, gmc, southwest Ohio, etc. but is he really able to put in the time and energy it takes. These players today are not like the players of his heyday.

Unless it’s a unique situation, I’m thinking Hamilton needs to go outside the big blue family

Last edited by Man Up; 04-08-18 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Add
Old 04-08-18, 12:28 PM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Two young coaches that would not cost Hamilton a big salary to bring in--Look for Ryan Fleming (Ex-LaSalle HC Dan Fleming's son) Oak Hills JV coach to be in the mix for the Hamilton job--excellent coach and pedigree in the GCL and 2 years experience in the GMC. Also Shaun O'Connell at Withrow has been a HC at Ponitz in Dayton and for 3-4 years at Withrow--his teams play very hard and under control and the players love him. Both are worth an interview!
Old 04-08-18, 07:39 PM
All World

Shaun O'Connell and Ryan Fleming are both interesting candidates.
Old 04-09-18, 07:33 AM
All Ohio

Youknow is on a distinguished road
I think if they interview O'connell he gets it. His guys do play extremely hard.
Old 04-09-18, 12:10 PM
Junior Varsity

NWoodIndians is on a distinguished road
Do we know anything yet? Interviews? Candidates? Seems like a lot of speculation.
Old 04-09-18, 12:33 PM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Shaun O'Connell and Ryan Fleming are both interesting candidates.
Fleming is an interesting name but that's a pretty big jump IMO. He's only been the head coach for 1 year and it was JV. I think he should interview for the practice of it but he needs a few more years of seasoning. Or to take a smaller school job.

O'Connell would be a great hire but I can see him being hated by the family of players. He doesn't take any grief and would shut mom and dad down in a heartbeat. Personally that's the kind of guy Hamilton needs but there would be problems in the beginning.
Old 04-09-18, 12:46 PM
All Ohio

93 red ls is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCLegend View Post
Those over the hiring would be idiots to pick anyone currently on staff....I also think it should be someone that knows hamilton and what goes along with being the coach. Here is my short list no order
Why do you say that??

I know turner the JV head coach VERY well. Dude eats , breathes ,sleeps Hamilton basketball!!!

young guy , mid-late 20's lives close to the school (not sure if he is actually in the district or not) BUT he has been in the system for awhile. I would LOVE to see a young, energetic guy get his chance!
Old 04-09-18, 06:14 PM
Varsity

That is just my opinion Iím sure those guys are great people but are very not so great in coaching. Turner seems like a good guy like I said but I just donít see it In him. Head frosh to head jv to head varsity ?? Donít see it
Old 04-09-18, 07:49 PM
All World

Is Turner a teacher?
Old 04-09-18, 08:54 PM
Junior Varsity

NWoodIndians is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JElder View Post
Fleming is an interesting name but that's a pretty big jump IMO. He's only been the head coach for 1 year and it was JV. I think he should interview for the practice of it but he needs a few more years of seasoning. Or to take a smaller school job.

O'Connell would be a great hire but I can see him being hated by the family of players. He doesn't take any grief and would shut mom and dad down in a heartbeat. Personally that's the kind of guy Hamilton needs but there would be problems in the beginning.
Are these two being interviewed? Are they the front runners?