Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-18-18, 10:31 AM
All Region

Finishtiming is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
Wow. So you're saying that if I hire Finishtiming to time my meet that you will only allow me to access the results through your site or a paper copy at the meet? In essence, the school doesn't own the rights to our meet results?

If Finishtiming and it's website were to cease to exist, then there were be no historical record of the meet unless someone held on to a paper copy they received at the meet?

Seriously?
The pdf file we would give you for your records would be exactly the same as the printout. What I am saying is that we provide LIVE results at the meet and print them if needed for your announcer. If host wants a pdf copy we send to them but we do not provide them to milesplit or anyone else for that matter.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-18, 11:02 AM
All Ohio

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
When Altor mentioned FERPA my first thought was that he is correct, these probably don't fall under that. Then I stopped and looked at our guidelines (those online trainings we have to do at the start of every school year are coming in handy). I still don't think these would constitute educational records, but we have procedures in place to make sure that kids names are not associated online with the school if the parents don't want them to be. So maybe FERPA might apply.
My dealings with FERPA are with higher ed, not high school. But, my understanding is that there isn't much difference.

There are a couple of parts to FERPA. One regards "directory information" and what may or may not be disseminated to outside resources. The student's name and the fact that they are on a sports team would generally be considered directory information and could be published unless the student or parents requested that it not be. I know for a fact that both the OHSAA and NCAA have a procedure for schools to request that an athlete be allowed to participate under an assumed name so that results from athletic contests that are published in newspapers and on the web do not contain the athlete's real name when this is requested.

The other part of FERPA deals with "educational records" and basically says that any such records are "owned" by the student and not the educational institution. The student may request these records and the school cannot withhold them. The school also may not give these records to other organizations without the consent of the student (or parent in case of minors). I can't imagine any reasonable court or jury would determine that athletic results are educational records.
Old 04-18-18, 12:11 PM
All District

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percidae View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, which I don't think I am because I just tried it, but the raw results are free content on Milesplit. It is only the value added capabilities and some content that has nothing to do with meet results that are exclusive to paying members.
You are correct to view results is free. There was way to much inaccurate data (duplicate names, runner assigned to schools they didn't run for and could even be an out of state school and even CC times being entered as hammer throw distances) for me to justify paying for the site.

Overall I don't see why Milesplit having two sources of revenue now with one being a pay site makes a difference because they were for profit before but only making money off selling advertisements the same way Finishtimming is.
Old 04-18-18, 12:28 PM
All Ohio

Run4Life is on a distinguished road
Back in the day (1978-the 2000's) I subscribbed to Ohio Track and Field, published several times per year listing best performances by division by event, and a few major meet rightups. Along with this, I went into Coulumbus every Sunday morning to pick up copies of the Cleaveland Plain Dealer, Akron Beacon Journal, Toledo Blade, Dayton Daily News and Cincinnati Enquirer to glean information about any potential athletes my kids might be seeing in the district, regional or state meets (I am sure I was not alone doing this btw). I spent more money doing this than it cost for my subscription to Milesplit, and I get much more for my money.

I don't know what it cost per meet for finishtiming to provide their services, when I had baumspage host my meets I was billed by roster, but I would gladly have paid a little more to guarentee the results of my meets be posted on milesplit so others could see them.
Old 04-18-18, 12:56 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
My dealings with FERPA are with higher ed, not high school. But, my understanding is that there isn't much difference.

There are a couple of parts to FERPA. One regards "directory information" and what may or may not be disseminated to outside resources. The student's name and the fact that they are on a sports team would generally be considered directory information and could be published unless the student or parents requested that it not be. I know for a fact that both the OHSAA and NCAA have a procedure for schools to request that an athlete be allowed to participate under an assumed name so that results from athletic contests that are published in newspapers and on the web do not contain the athlete's real name when this is requested.

The other part of FERPA deals with "educational records" and basically says that any such records are "owned" by the student and not the educational institution. The student may request these records and the school cannot withhold them. The school also may not give these records to other organizations without the consent of the student (or parent in case of minors). I can't imagine any reasonable court or jury would determine that athletic results are educational records.
I completely agree that the names on results are directory information, my question is that as the regulations are implemented in Ohio, you need affirmative permission to publish them. Schools almost always have forms to sign to allow that, and we have procedures for competing under a different name. The question I have is in the hazy area of publishing their names. For example, there are restrictions on what the myriad for-profit honor societies can publish until they get affirmative permission. Even if the school district publishes the names. News organizations have some specific exemptions.
Old 04-18-18, 02:57 PM
All Ohio

LoveCrossCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENA2 View Post
there are many purposes of milesplit.
I NEVER thought that a primary purpose was to "pouch the times from timing companies" or off of baumspage for that matter.
I always thought that the main purpose was to promote the sport and the athletes/teams and to give some information about to parents/fans/coaches.
The virtual meets and rankings give people things to look at and to discuss, but is NEVER going to be the gospel... Neither will finishtiming, deltatiming, baumspage or any other site. Still, better than driving across the State to find newspapers that are not reliable either. Although, I did enjoy eating at some small-town diners on Sunday mornings.
Many of the marks have always been suspect at least to downright bogus at times.... this is due to hand-held times being recorded as FAT, mismeasuring in the field event, metric marks listed as english and even college marks in the HS rankings. No matter where you find results, will it help your athltes jump or throw higher/further, run faster or improve their technique? Also, If a kid is listed in 5 individual events and in 3 relays, they probably will not be in all those events at a conference or district meet.
and... if a kid is listed as running 10.49 in the 100 at a tri-meet after school (along with sub 11 by 3 others) in 40 degree weather, and 12.11 a month later at the conference meet, then you might not want to accept that they are a 10.5 100 meter runner.

Milesplit is only Obsolete if you think that it is supposed give you all results AND results before a meet takes place.
Now, I wish milesplit was free as well, but I would never do what they do without being compensated. Personally, I could take it or leave it, but that was true when it was free as well.

I still get most of my results from baumspage, but realize they are only as good as those entering marks or timing.
I am grateful for Milesplit for a couple of reasons:

* Both of my kids were recruited athletes, and all of the coaches who recruited them got initial information about them from Milesplit. This makes it super easy for an athlete to get exposure.

* It has helped raise exposure for our sport. It is a great resource for athletes to go to to see who ran what and how high the bar is.
Old 04-18-18, 05:09 PM
Varsity

ENA2 is on a distinguished road
AMEN...
I always thought that the main purpose was to promote the sport and the athletes/teams and to give some of that information to parents/fans/coaches.

and Run4Life, I still sometimes go out on Sunday mornings to get newpapers to read articles about some top meets... if I know the papers cover the meets well. I still like a well written track article.
Old 04-18-18, 06:53 PM
All Ohio

Run4Life is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENA2 View Post
AMEN...
I always thought that the main purpose was to promote the sport and the athletes/teams and to give some of that information to parents/fans/coaches.

and Run4Life, I still sometimes go out on Sunday mornings to get newpapers to read articles about some top meets... if I know the papers cover the meets well. I still like a well written track article.
Agreed, but track coverage is scarce now. I liked looking at the box score listing scorers in each event and team scores. That is part of the reason I want to keep Milesplit alive and kicking. I don't see another site that does this for our sport, and like I said earlier, if I was still a meet director I would be willing to drop more money to the timing system to make sure the results are added to the Milesplit list.
Old 04-18-18, 07:48 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
I subscribe to mile split and just checked the rankings. The rankings I looked had results from a meet only run yesterday where the results appear on finishtiming's web site, so I'm not sure what you guys are talking about that the results from timing companies aren't getting on the mile split rankings.
Old 04-19-18, 10:05 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Here is an example of one event--the 100m dash. The #5 mark of Amir Willis appears therein and that meet was timed by finishtiming.
Old 04-19-18, 11:02 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Here is an example of one event--the 100m dash. The #5 mark of Amir Willis appears therein and that meet was timed by finishtiming.
And there in displays my point of stealing results. There are a number of meets on milesplit that do not reference us or the timing company that timed it in those results. They say they give us (timing companies) credit for our results but quick glance I see 5 have nothing mentioning us. I know they are ours as they have all the html text from where they grab them in the complete results part. They know exactly where they are getting them from but no mention of it.
Old 04-19-18, 11:31 AM
Lancers lead the way!

I don't get it. The host school pays you to perform a service. Doesn't the host school then own the results of the service performed that they paid for? Why do you see the service as belonging to finishtiming. You sold that service to whomever sponsored the event.
Old 04-19-18, 11:58 AM
All Region

Quote:
I don't get it. The host school pays you to perform a service. Doesn't the host school then own the results of the service performed that they paid for? Why do you see the service as belonging to finishtiming. You sold that service to whomever sponsored the event.
The host school pays us to time and score a meet for them. They have access to our live results and we give them whatever results they need after the meet. I have never said that the host does not own the results I said milesplit is taking them. We do not owe milesplit anything so why should I create the file they need to put into their system to charge you to see. We do 5-6 meets every night and we have enough to do without trying to create a file for someone that is going to use it to have people pay them to see and not even give us credit for creating those for them.

Lets say you create a spreadsheet/web page with all the best times from the southwest ohio area and spend hours doing so. A web company then sees this and decides it would help them out for their site if they just grab that info and put it in a different format and post as their own with no credit to you. And then each time you update it they then do it again and then theirs is up to date also. Now to go even further, lets say a local running company was excited about what you created and said let me give you $500 a year to keep this thing up to date and all I want is my name showing on your site. Now this web company has the same info but a bigger audience and now no one will come to your site and give your local company exposure because the web company is getting all the traffic. All the web company has done is spend a few minutes getting your info and reposting and you and your sponsor no longer get anything out of it and still spend hours getting the info.
Old 04-19-18, 12:23 PM
All Region

Here is an example of what I am talking about. This took me 5 minutes and I could very easily make it look even nicer.

http://www.finishtiming.com/test.html

I used this site to "Steal" the data.

http://www.swotccca.com/Documents/Ci...%20Girls22.pdf

Now Company XYZ has new rankings site and have bypassed southwest ohio track coaches and their sponsors.
Old 04-19-18, 01:09 PM
Lancers lead the way!

I update an all time top 25 ranking for swotccca each year. In effect, I've been "stealing" results from finishtiming for years and not giving them credit. My question is this: Does my "theft" of results from finishtiming for years make me just as despicable in your eyes as milesplit.

http://www.swotccca.com/Documents/Ra...d%20Events.pdf
Old 04-19-18, 01:20 PM
Freshman

JOSP is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finishtiming View Post
The host school pays us to time and score a meet for them. They have access to our live results and we give them whatever results they need after the meet. I have never said that the host does not own the results I said milesplit is taking them. We do not owe milesplit anything so why should I create the file they need to put into their system to charge you to see. We do 5-6 meets every night and we have enough to do without trying to create a file for someone that is going to use it to have people pay them to see and not even give us credit for creating those for them.

Lets say you create a spreadsheet/web page with all the best times from the southwest ohio area and spend hours doing so. A web company then sees this and decides it would help them out for their site if they just grab that info and put it in a different format and post as their own with no credit to you. And then each time you update it they then do it again and then theirs is up to date also. Now to go even further, lets say a local running company was excited about what you created and said let me give you $500 a year to keep this thing up to date and all I want is my name showing on your site. Now this web company has the same info but a bigger audience and now no one will come to your site and give your local company exposure because the web company is getting all the traffic. All the web company has done is spend a few minutes getting your info and reposting and you and your sponsor no longer get anything out of it and still spend hours getting the info.
If the host school is paying you, I don't understand where the problem lies.. Milesplit is posting the result for free (no account needed), I just checked. Milesplit does charge to read the articles, and the rankings, which they compile from all of the results from the timing companies to get a better evaluation for ALL of Ohio, not just regional areas.

I guess my point is, you've said you get no credit, which I agree is wrong on their part, but I'd hardly call it stealing b/c the results can be found in newspapers, online, etc. So anyone who doesn't visit the finishtiming site or gets results from this meet a different way, via word of mouth/etc., is now stealing?

I am a head coach, I am in charge of running the meets (entries, heat sheets, etc.). I make sure all the results are recorded properly at the finish line, and I send the results to opposing teams, local papers, etc. So I can appreciate the time it takes to do what people pay you to do. I don't, however, have any problem posting these results, that I've collected, to milesplit so they can rank the athletes who competed for others around the state to see. I'd much rather have all the results in one place, rather than go to a million places (websites, newspapers, etc) to find results for area teams. When I'm planning a line-up for an invitational I'd much rather visit milesplit and compare times and who might enter who in what event, rather than search the local papers and compile the data myself. This is all on a coaches salary (which isn't a lot).

Last edited by JOSP; 04-19-18 at 01:31 PM..
Old 04-19-18, 01:25 PM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I update an all time top 25 ranking for swotccca each year. In effect, I've been "stealing" results from finishtiming for years and not giving them credit. My question is this: Does my "theft" of results from finishtiming for years make me just as despicable in your eyes as milesplit.

The Catholic Church always turns a blind eye.
Old 04-19-18, 01:34 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
So now, it's a religious issue. It's ok for me to "steal" the results because I'm Catholic and cheer for a Catholic school, i.e., La Salle, but it's not ok for milesplit because their web master is not Catholic.
Old 04-19-18, 07:59 PM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finishtiming View Post
Coaches, Athletes, Parents, and Fans

This is to explain why our results are not formatted to Milesplits site. First of all Finishtiming is not associated with Milesplit. It is not our responsibility to provide results to them for their use. They are a pay site and have people pay them to see their rankings and they use (steal) results from timers. They figure putting our logo on the results is enough compensation for our work and then if we do not they tell all the coaches and parents to call and email us to ask why (thinking this will make us give them what they want).

We used to provide them with our results as a courtesy until we started getting calls and coaches coming to us (at the meet) saying our results were not right. They were already posted to milesplit before we were even done with the meet.

We have sponsors also that need to have traffic driven to them, so if everyone was going straight to milesplit then we were missing those people. We worked a deal (twice) with milesplit that they were to hold results for 48 hours and we would provide them with all results. They were told as soon as a result was posted before the 48 hour period it was over. It took approximately 1 week for them to break this agreement. We spent a lot of money to make our live results system work the way it does and it is a very easy system to use with mobile device or computer and is very fast. All meets that use our online entry system and use hytek to score their meet can see a complete rankings list at www.trackstatsohio.com . Our rankings site is free and coaches can add their athletes times even if they were not timed by us, by simply logging in and entering a leader entry.

We are a business and we have tried to add more and more experiences to the meets to make them more exciting for the fans and athletes alike. We have more items available to you than most do and have always added these things without raising prices for 15 years. We have started to get sponsors to help with our rising costs and if we give our results to another company this defeats our sponsorship.

Sincerely

Mike Chatfield

Finishtiming (Owner)

Excellent reply & explanation.

What HS & JHS needs is the implementation of the TFRRS system that REQUIRES the submission of results by the colleges to the national database. Takes additional work, but it is an excellent system. Would also help to adjust for the hand-timing vs. auto-timing issues by requiring, under penalty, the correct timing methodology. Any results submitted incorrectly would result in a penalty to the host school. That would force the issue of correct reporting of timing.
Old 04-19-18, 09:04 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
Cmon, man, im catholic. No need to bring religion into this.
Old 04-19-18, 10:00 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Cmon, man, im catholic. No need to bring religion into this.
The big three in this world are religion, politics, and money. We've seen all of them on this thread.
Old 04-19-18, 10:08 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
The big three in this world are religion, politics, and money. We've seen all of them on this thread.
Yeah, its one thing to bring up religion. But attacking someones religion, I mean, cmon. That is just not cool.
Old 04-19-18, 11:04 PM
All Region

Quote:

Again, do you "CHARGE" people to see your rankings?
Old 04-20-18, 12:12 AM
Lancers lead the way!

No. but looking at the link I provided for the all time top 25, I see it is not an updated link. This one should be more current to those looking at it. It is through the 2017 season not the 2014 season as the above link shows, not sure where that one came from.

Old 04-20-18, 07:43 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
I have some questions for Lancer about his all time SW Ohio list so this is off topic. Sorry about that up front.

Do you have a current list for the gals? If so you can link it in a different thread.

I'm sure most avid track fans will remember Winton Woods' Maurice Norman. He was at Winton Woods in the late 00s and he had incredible range as a sprinter. I followed him closely. I know that he went to UC and ran there with moderate success but I didn't follow him as closely as when he was in high school.

I believe Maurice had PRs of around 10.7x in the 100, 200 22.13, 400 47.5x, 800 1:57ish. I think if he put more into the 800 he could have gotten into the low 1:50s - into the 1:51 to 1:52 range. He was also a relay workhorse and was on Winton Woods' SW Ohio record setting 4x4 team. The guy was a scoring machine and quite a talent.

My questions about him are about his 100 & 400 times. From what I saw, unless I overlooked it, you only have with a 10.5 MT. I am almost certain that he ran FAT around 10.7low100ths. In the 400 you have him marked at 47.61. I believe he was ~ 47.54.

Again, sorry about the thread drift. Everyone can get back to kvetching about Milesplit.

addendum: I found Winton Woods' school records. They have Norman listed with school records in the 100 of 10.41, 200 of 21.94, 400 47.30, Sprint medley of 1:33.98, and 4x4 of 3:15.42. The times are all listed in 100s so I am assuming that they're FAT. There is no wind info. If the 100 time is accurate that would be better than Princeton's Mario Allmon's 10.48. His 200 time would put him in the top 25. The 400 time would put Norman tied for 2nd all time. I don't know the accuracy of these records but here is a link to the list: http://www.wintonwoods.org/userfiles...cords-Boys.pdf

Last edited by Rohbino; 04-20-18 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: Addition
Old 04-20-18, 09:58 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No. but looking at the link I provided for the all time top 25, I see it is not an updated link. This one should be more current to those looking at it. It is through the 2017 season not the 2014 season as the above link shows, not sure where that one came from.

Middletown and Lebanon not included?

Are they considered part of Southwest Ohio?
Old 04-20-18, 10:14 AM
Lancers lead the way!

According to the Southwest Ohio Track and Cross Country Coaches Association to be included in their rankings, you have to participate in the district meets designated for Cincinnati area teams: Mason, Winton Woods, New Richmond. Middletown and Lebanon go to Dayton area meets.
Old 04-20-18, 10:17 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Rohbino, I found Norman's 47.30 time. It was a hand held time at Mason's Rod Russel Invitation. Check the times from that meet. Every one ends in 0 which was done by Hy-Tek's Meet Manager which they used. Thanks to mile split, I was able to find the time. Also he ran his 10.5 MT at Winton Woods Inv. Once again mile split converts that to 10.74 FAT. I don't use that time for two reasons. It is converted from a MT and they didn't use a wind gauge at Winton Woods. Norman never broke 11 seconds in meets where FAT was used.

The interesting thing here is that mile split shows the time as 47.54 as Winton Woods school record. This is a standard conversion rate (0.24) which is used by some people to convert MT to FAT. I don't convert times that I use from yards to meters or from manual to FAT. Norman's state meet time of 47.61 stays on the list.

Last edited by Lancermania; 04-20-18 at 11:14 AM..
Old 04-20-18, 10:55 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Rohbino, as requested, here is the girls all time top 25 list in meters for the schools that go to district meets in the Cincinnati area (Mason, Winton Woods, New Richmond). I have a separate top 25 list for yards.

Last edited by Lancermania; 04-20-18 at 11:15 AM..