Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-13-18, 09:21 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ?????? View Post
You and your holier than now, judgemental, old fashioned attitude who resents anyone living in a cookie cutter houseoutside the bus line.
Very helpful in deed. No problem in this person's view. Let's just continue the poor recruitment and who cares about the bad PR. Everything is awesome!
Old 06-13-18, 10:54 PM
All District

?????? is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Very helpful in deed. No problem in this person's view. Let's just continue the poor recruitment and who cares about the bad PR. Everything is awesome!
More helpful than your 3 yr campaign against suburban families. They are the ones keeping elder going, not you. Your type is distancing young families Like I suggested 2 yrs ago. Your the one with your head in the sand, singing your national anthem proudly
Old 06-14-18, 06:32 AM
All World

Quote:
More helpful than your 3 yr campaign against suburban families. They are the ones keeping elder going, not you. Your type is distancing young families Like I suggested 2 yrs ago. Your the one with your head in the sand, singing your national anthem proudly
You are a nut, with a marginal command of the English language. With your sense of superiority you are Elder's problem personified. You have only been around for 14 months. Years ago? You are delusional.
Old 06-14-18, 07:17 AM
All District

Quote:
You are a nut, with a marginal command of the English language. With your sense of superiority you are Elder's problem personified. You have only been around for 14 months. Years ago? You are delusional.
You are correct, hard to believe it's been only 14 months, seems like 14 yrs, you are correct, your writing skills crush mine, you are correct, I'm a bit nutty. What you fail to realize is that myself and surely many people see through your command of the language. You act so saintly and are so judgemental that your writing skills can't hide it. Your judging and throwing stones at the Elder administration after the fact. When I questioned( which is rare) Elders behavior at basketball games,you mocked me, called me soft. Then the X game came along and now your a judgemebtal,Monday morning QB.
Old 06-14-18, 07:24 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I was and I did. They were underwhelmed by the open house (this is going back to five years ago, until last year) and LaSalle offered more money. My boosting this could not overcome Elder's shabby open house effort and the money thrown at them by LaSalle.
Heard last year's Open House was one of the best in years, very good turnout and those that came left impressed. Sounds like your neighbor/friend already had their mind made up that Elder wasn't for them. Not saying Elder shouldn't try to flip these types of families but when your mind is made up it's more difficult to get someone to flip.

I like how you use ElderHS02 as "exhibit A" when all he did was ask questions. Way to alienate someone from the discussion - but then, that's your specialty.
Old 06-14-18, 07:59 AM
All District

foreword is on a distinguished road
Hopefully, no one considering Elder as an educational option for their son(s) comes on here and reads this drivel.......I have to say based on what I read here, I might have reconsidered sending my sons there...........

Quit attacking each other and be more of a voice for positive change!
Old 06-14-18, 08:18 AM
All World

Quote:
You are correct, hard to believe it's been only 14 months, seems like 14 yrs, you are correct, your writing skills crush mine, you are correct, I'm a bit nutty. What you fail to realize is that myself and surely many people see through your command of the language. You act so saintly and are so judgemental that your writing skills can't hide it. Your judging and throwing stones at the Elder administration after the fact. When I questioned( which is rare) Elders behavior at basketball games,you mocked me, called me soft. Then the X game came along and now your a judgemebtal,Monday morning QB.
Wrong. I have been complaining about Elder's neglect of and a large part of the Elder community's running down of the neighborhoods and the people living around Elder for years. That and some unfair press and demagoguery on the part of politicos and "community leaders" back in 2001 are the cause of Elder's predicament today.

It can be fixed, but it will take drastic actions on the part of the administration and an acceptance by the community at large that there is a problem and that they will be part of the solution.

I don't mind being a spear catcher on this. As far as the dirty laundry issue is concerned, the best way to stop that is for those concerned to see some definitive and very public action on the part of the administration. I hope and pray that the survey is the first step in that direction and that it will be followed up very quickly with some type of action. Something should have been in place months ago.

Open houses: I have heard last years was better, but that LaSalle still blew Elder away with advanced IT (which Elder has in spades) being utilized to actually put the attendees into LaSalle's action. They took pictures of the kids as they came in and then flashed pictures of the kids in LaSalle uniforms and in school activities on CCTV throughout the school during the visit. A pretty slick trick and very superficial but I would think somewhat effective with 14 year old boys.

I hope that description of the LaSalle open house is accurate. I got it third hand.
Old 06-14-18, 08:22 AM
All American

CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There is no doubt suburban families are keeping Elder going. However, based off enrollment numbers its clear to see that they are not keeping Elder going, as well as Elder should be going. That is the difference. Elder needs to continue to pull from the western suburbs, however they should also be pulling more kids from its own neighborhood. As has been mentioned, Price Hill parishes are rebounding in their enrollment right now. Some schools are bigger than they were two decades ago, enrollment wise. Yet there is no correlation with Elder's enrollment. That is the big issue.

Not to mention EHS 2001 pointed out Elder clearly is missing in the suburbs as well if they are not even targeting St. Bernard.
Old 06-14-18, 10:16 AM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
To be fair, we have no idea what type of conversations the Archdiocese has had with Elder. Maybe they don't want to see Elder grow at this time. Maybe there are other considerations that prevent them from completely opening up recruitment. Maybe the school has made a decision that its purpose is strictly for the Catholic westside feeders, and they've come to grips with what that means for the athletic program.

But if that is their strategy, tell people that is the strategy so they quit expecting this phenomenal athletic program that can compete with the elite teams of the state and country. There seems to be a massive gap between what fans expect and what Elder is delivering.

Are the fans delusional or the administrators? Or neither...and it's just a case of setting and communicating expectations of what the school has decided? You understand their strategy, make a decision based on it, and move on with life. Problem is, everyone is in the dark on what direction they are heading in. It's all guesswork and unmet expectations, even if those expectations are unrealistic based on their strategic path.

GIVE PEOPLE YOUR PLAN!!!
Old 06-14-18, 10:22 AM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Can you post links to the other GCL-South schools recruiting plans?
Old 06-14-18, 10:57 AM
All American

If a prospective student/family has NO IDEA what the plan is for the next 4-5 years in terms of infrastructure, education investment, athletic investment, recruiting reach, new programs (both educational and athletic), marketing, leadership, community, etc - what do they base their decision on?

And recruiting is a subset of strategy. There's ways to communicate a vision without giving away the house. It's called marketing.

Your post, as usual, is extremely short-sighted.

Last edited by trey2k; 06-14-18 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-14-18, 03:48 PM
All World

Some suggestions I thought of since answering the suurvey:

1) Have Christopher Smitherman speak at the opening Mass this year and make a big deal about it in the press. (I believe he was one of Elder's critics at one time, but he has matured and I believe he might be an ally now)

2) Get in touch with the pastor at St. Joes of the West End and make three scholarships available to three of their kids. If they have a good experience more will follow.

3) Have the Spanish club work with Su Casa as mentors for young Spanish speaking kids and encourage their involvement in Elder activities.

4) Hire a minority adviser/recruiter.

5) Enlist a prominent minority figure like Ken Blackwell to help promote Elder.

6) Start a strong outreach program in the Price Hill parishes to recruit kids of all ethnicities.

7) Invest a whole lot of money in advertising and recruitment (act like we are funding a new stadium or something like that).

8) Create a real PR and marketing strategy and hire the right people to execute it.

9) Enlist contacts in local news media to place positive and flattering stories featuring kids of every ethnicity faving fun and getting along at Elder.

10) Find or develop some decent athletes (and/or coaches) so that Elder can compete in the GCL South.
Old 06-14-18, 08:31 PM
All American

Vincent and Regina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I was and I did. They were underwhelmed by the open house (this is going back to five years ago, until last year) and LaSalle offered more money. My boosting this could not overcome Elder's shabby open house effort and the money thrown at them by LaSalle.
You didn't compete for these kids. You did a shabby job of representing Elder.

Say LaSalle offered this kid 5000 bucks. What if Elder used that 5000 to give to 5 kids 1000 bucks?

If I remember correct Elder has a surplus and LaSalle owes.
Old 06-15-18, 05:25 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent and Regina View Post
You didn't compete for these kids. You did a shabby job of representing Elder.

Say LaSalle offered this kid 5000 bucks. What if Elder used that 5000 to give to 5 kids 1000 bucks?

If I remember correct Elder has a surplus and LaSalle owes.
Gosh, I guess you are right. There's no problem. Everything is awesome.

Exhibit B

Last edited by Purplemojo; 06-15-18 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-15-18, 01:38 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Some suggestions I thought of since answering the suurvey:

1) Have Christopher Smitherman speak at the opening Mass this year and make a big deal about it in the press. (I believe he was one of Elder's critics at one time, but he has matured and I believe he might be an ally now)

2) Get in touch with the pastor at St. Joes of the West End and make three scholarships available to three of their kids. If they have a good experience more will follow.

3) Have the Spanish club work with Su Casa as mentors for young Spanish speaking kids and encourage their involvement in Elder activities.

4) Hire a minority adviser/recruiter.

5) Enlist a prominent minority figure like Ken Blackwell to help promote Elder.

6) Start a strong outreach program in the Price Hill parishes to recruit kids of all ethnicities.

7) Invest a whole lot of money in advertising and recruitment (act like we are funding a new stadium or something like that).

8) Create a real PR and marketing strategy and hire the right people to execute it.

9) Enlist contacts in local news media to place positive and flattering stories featuring kids of every ethnicity faving fun and getting along at Elder.
These are some solid suggestions. Easier said than done, but I do appreciate the genuine thought.

Also, these kids nowadays do not read a newspaper, watch the local news, etc. Elder needs to identify the right formats (Instagram, snap-chat, etc.) and leverage applicable technology to appeal to 7th and 8th graders.
Old 06-15-18, 02:04 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
These are some solid suggestions. Easier said than done, but I do appreciate the genuine thought.

Also, these kids nowadays do not read a newspaper, watch the local news, etc. Elder needs to identify the right formats (Instagram, snap-chat, etc.) and leverage applicable technology to appeal to 7th and 8th graders.
That's half of it...the other half is PROVING to parents that there is value in the $12k price tag. Nobody is forking over $12k for the "mystique and tradition" anymore. It's too expensive for that.

The Athletic Center is a great selling point for athletics. What other tangible improvements can they sell to parents to make them feel like the price tag is worth it?
Old 06-15-18, 08:22 PM
All American

Vincent and Regina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Gosh, I guess you are right. There's no problem. Everything is awesome.

Exhibit B
I know I have given you proof you that you like to point fingers, but don't realize you have four pointing back at you.
Old 06-16-18, 08:24 AM
All World

Here is another simple and potentially powerful suggestion:

Have St. Joe's choir perform with the Elder Glee Club at one of its many evening concerts and then have the Elder Glee Club sing with the St. Joe's choir at one of their Sunday Masses.

St. Joe has an outstanding and very soulful choir. The experience would be potentially life changing for some of our kids from some of the more insular communities and would expose a whole Catholic community to the fine young men we have at Elder.

As I recall we had five or six minorities in the Glee Club last year and their presence may open a lot of eyes in that community as to Elder's tolerance and inclusion.

Personally, I would buy a ticket to hear them sing together. I have attended Mass at St. Joe's half a dozen times and have always been very moved by the wonderful welcoming community, the Catholic fellowship and outstanding music ministry.

Now that I have thought of it, I think I would put this suggestion at the top of my list.
Old 06-18-18, 07:54 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
PurpleMojo has my vote for Elder's Community Outreach Director.
Old 06-18-18, 06:13 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
PurpleMojo has my vote for Elder's Community Outreach Director.
Thanks. I've already got a paying gig but I would certainly be happy to help.
Old 06-19-18, 06:19 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Thanks. I've already got a paying gig but I would certainly be happy to help.
I know we've had our differences in the past (basically every interaction we've had) so I hope you know I was being serious. Maybe take up the position as a part time job in retirement when that day comes. Every idea you've brought to the thread has been great and is fairly easy to implement. You certainly have an knack for it. Hopefully Elder is reading on here and the e-mails, survey responses, etc.
Old 06-19-18, 05:15 PM
All District

Quote:
Here is another simple and potentially powerful suggestion:

Have St. Joe's choir perform with the Elder Glee Club at one of its many evening concerts and then have the Elder Glee Club sing with the St. Joe's choir at one of their Sunday Masses.

St. Joe has an outstanding and very soulful choir. The experience would be potentially life changing for some of our kids from some of the more insular communities and would expose a whole Catholic community to the fine young men we have at Elder.

As I recall we had five or six minorities in the Glee Club last year and their presence may open a lot of eyes in that community as to Elder's tolerance and inclusion.

Personally, I would buy a ticket to hear them sing together. I have attended Mass at St. Joe's half a dozen times and have always been very moved by the wonderful welcoming community, the Catholic fellowship and outstanding music ministry.

Now that I have thought of it, I think I would put this suggestion at the top of my list.
Good ideas, great way to create unity. Maybe even to some outreach events outside the city limits. Maybe even reach out to other places of worship outside the catholic church so that kids from traditional xenophobic communities are more tolerant to change
Old 06-30-18, 06:36 PM
All Region

Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
I like this. I hope people respond with honesty and maturity, and I hope the school listens, and acts upon the results.

I would have kept it anonymous and targeted it specifically to alumni, but it's a start.
What a surprise the off-brand Marv Marinovich is afraid to put his name behind his response.

Side note, I was glad they made Athletics a topic in the survey. I like what’s been going on the past 2 months w/ the Fitness Center and new Admissions Director.

Last edited by Dale Cooper; 06-30-18 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-02-18, 06:52 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
What a surprise the off-brand Marv Marinovich is afraid to put his name behind his response.

Side note, I was glad they made Athletics a topic in the survey. I like what’s been going on the past 2 months w/ the Fitness Center and new Admissions Director.
I have responded.

I'm saying they'd get 100% honestly if it was anonymous.