Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-09-18, 11:53 PM
All District

closer617 is on a distinguished road
The Semi Finals ...NIGHT OF THE UPSETS

I think the semi finals will go down in history as one of the best nights in high school wrestling. #upsets
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-18, 02:36 PM
All American

wildcat71 is on a distinguished road
And one of the greatest travisties in OHSAA wrestling tournament history. Shame on the OHSAA for allowing the referee to continue after admitting making a " mistake and wrong call denying Mogadore's Paul Skye a chance at being champion. Terrible raising the hand of Paul declaring him the winner...then taking it back. Absolutely terrible.
Old 03-10-18, 02:38 PM
All American

Dad4Sports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat71 View Post
And one of the greatest travisties in OHSAA wrestling tournament history. Shame on the OHSAA for allowing the referee to continue after admitting making a " mistake and wrong call denying Mogadore's Paul Skye a chance at being champion. Terrible raising the hand of Paul declaring him the winner...then taking it back. Absolutely terrible.
details?
Old 03-10-18, 03:53 PM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
http://www.record-courier.com/news/2...unty-wrestlers

COLUMBUS — Mogadore’s Paul Skye thought he was headed to the state finals.

In his 220-pound Division III state semifinal against Sandusky St. Mary Central Catholic’s Chris Kuhn on Friday, Skye looked to have rallied from an early deficit with two takedowns in the final period to win 6-5 and reach the finals.

However, SMCC coaches protested Skye’s last takedown, saying Kuhn had not turned around after escaping from Skye. After a long discussion, the referees wiped off the takedown and put 24 seconds back on the clock.

Skye drew a stalling call and shot on Kuhn twice in the last 24 seconds, but could not secure the decisive takedown, giving Kuhn a 5-4 win in controversial fashion.

A furious Skye called it “the worst officiating he ever saw.” Mogadore coach Duane Funk was incredulous after the match.

“He said (Skye) let him go and because he never turned around, it wasn’t a takedown,” Funk said. “He made the call the first time. He should have stuck with it. Who has ever experienced anything like this?”

Skye’s crazy finish was emblematic of the semifinal round for local wrestlers at Friday, as Portage County wrestlers went 0-8 in semifinal matches.

Last edited by FirestoneFan; 03-10-18 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-10-18, 04:19 PM
All American

wildcat71 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestoneFan View Post
http://www.record-courier.com/news/2...unty-wrestlers

COLUMBUS — Mogadore’s Paul Skye thought he was headed to the state finals.

In his 220-pound Division III state semifinal against Sandusky St. Mary Central Catholic’s Chris Kuhn on Friday, Skye looked to have rallied from an early deficit with two takedowns in the final period to win 6-5 and reach the finals.

However, SMCC coaches protested Skye’s last takedown, saying Kuhn had not turned around after escaping from Skye. After a long discussion, the referees wiped off the takedown and put 24 seconds back on the clock.

Skye drew a stalling call and shot on Kuhn twice in the last 24 seconds, but could not secure the decisive takedown, giving Kuhn a 5-4 win in controversial fashion.

A furious Skye called it “the worst officiating he ever saw.” Mogadore coach Duane Funk was incredulous after the match.

“He said (Skye) let him go and because he never turned around, it wasn’t a takedown,” Funk said. “He made the call the first time. He should have stuck with it. Who has ever experienced anything like this?”

Skye’s crazy finish was emblematic of the semifinal round for local wrestlers at Friday, as Portage County wrestlers went 0-8 in semifinal matches.
And there it is...TERRIBLE, SKYE IS THE REAL WINNER.
Old 03-10-18, 04:29 PM
All American

CincyCoach is on a distinguished road
I'd have to see it unfold to make an informed opinion. The defensive wrestler must face you for an escape to be awarded. Even more precisely, the offensive wrestler is under the obligation of circling out front when he turns a kid loose. I'm not saying the right call was or wasn't made. But is there video of the final :30 of the match?
Old 03-10-18, 04:46 PM
All Region

350zjk is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=CincyCoach;7006744]I'd have to see it unfold to make an informed opinion. The defensive wrestler must face you for an escape to be awarded.

Incorrect? The defensive wrestler does NOT need to face the offensive wrestler to earn an escape, or loss of control.
Old 03-10-18, 04:57 PM
All American

[QUOTE=350zjk;7006754]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyCoach View Post
I'd have to see it unfold to make an informed opinion. The defensive wrestler must face you for an escape to be awarded.

Incorrect? The defensive wrestler does NOT need to face the offensive wrestler to earn an escape, or loss of control.
It depends on the situation, actually. If they're going out of bounds, it could be awarded as a loss of control. But if the top man kicks him out and the bottom move does not turn to face him, it's not an escape until the top man circles to the front.
Old 03-10-18, 04:58 PM
All American

And regardless, my point was I'd have to see the situation in question to make an informed judgment on the way it was scored or not scored.
Old 03-10-18, 05:00 PM
All World

diniclaus is on a distinguished road
Life most assuredly will go on without a OHSAA D3 wrestling title for this young man.

Any summary of actual upsets like the title of the thread described?
Old 03-10-18, 08:22 PM
All Ohio

Jim Behrens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyCoach View Post

It depends on the situation, actually. If they're going out of bounds, it could be awarded as a loss of control. But if the top man kicks him out and the bottom move does not turn to face him, it's not an escape until the top man circles to the front.
Actually not correct on either point.
The first depends on what the offensive man does. Did he follow the defensive man OOB's or not?
The second statement is so far from reality that I am not sure how to address it. The offensive man has zero obligation to circle to the front to the defensive man.
Old 03-10-18, 08:24 PM
Freshman

Field-judge is on a distinguished road
If they awarded the escape, then they should've awarded the takedown. Otherwise is should've been 4-4. OT. Terrible call, this kid got screwed and those officials involved should be suspended, or terminated.
Old 03-10-18, 09:20 PM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
Thread fail. Change title.
Old 03-10-18, 09:32 PM
All Ohio

nooks is on a distinguished road
Actually...In very many ways, life will not go on. I can assure this young man from experience that while yes...life will go on...he will never be the same. This will haunt him forever. You never get a second chance to be the state champion. He'll survive...but he'll be forever different.
Old 03-10-18, 10:47 PM
Junior Varsity

whippet175 is on a distinguished road
I hope that by forever different you mean that he'll be able to take this disappoint and be able to grow from it. I hope you mean that this can be a teachable moment for that young man that will allow him to handle even greater disappointments than this as he grows older.
Old 03-11-18, 12:22 AM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooks View Post
Actually...In very many ways, life will not go on. I can assure this young man from experience that while yes...life will go on...he will never be the same. This will haunt him forever. You never get a second chance to be the state champion. He'll survive...but he'll be forever different.
You don’t know this young man’s demeanor. He could be wrestling in college next year instead has chosen to join the marines to defend our freedoms. He is one of the humblest 18 year old two sport all Ohioans you will ever know.

He threw no fit at the end of the match. He shook the other kids hand and walked over to shake the coaches hands. He then just walked out of the arena. No antics, no tantrum, etc like we saw a couple other times when someone lost this weekend.

This will not change his life in anyway other than he won’t be the first state champ since 1997 at the school he grew up loving (his family has been going to Mogadore for like 4 generations, both mom and dad side).
Old 03-11-18, 12:52 AM
All District

sucker drag is on a distinguished road
just watched the skye match on flo that was horrible. worst case senario 4-4 but that was clearly an escape and a take down . wow
Old 03-11-18, 08:23 AM
Varsity

Lost Octopus is on a distinguished road
He more than likely wasn't beating Gaige Willis
Old 03-11-18, 08:31 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooks View Post
If that's true of anyone, sports have failed.
Old 03-11-18, 04:46 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Octopus View Post
He more than likely wasn't beating Gaige Willis
Maybe maybe not. District finals Gage caught him in a 4 pt TD in first period but then Skye dominated the rest of the match losing 6-5 with the other two points by Willis being let ups.

It would have been a great match.
Old 03-11-18, 05:50 PM
All District

grapeape is on a distinguished road
Skye would have won the rematch. Aside from the first 30 sec at districts, he dominated the match and Willis was spent.
Old 03-11-18, 06:22 PM
All District

Rob_Jennings is on a distinguished road
There has been A LOT of talk about officials this week to say the least. I was actually watching this match, know the official and talked to him after. He made a call, he talked to his assistant AND got an opinion from one of the SRI sitting mat side watching also, both saw it different than he did. He then made it correct by rule. This was officiating at its best. We are also talking about the same official that called the Mattin/Hoskins match perfectly earlier in the round. There has been a lot of talk of officials being better, being biased purposely, etc... If we could clone this official not just as a referee but as a person, we would all be in a better place. If we could all swallow our pride a little bit like he did and do the right thing wouldn't life be grand. I'm sure others will see this differently, which is fine, but suspended & terminated? Come on...
Old 03-11-18, 06:26 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Jennings View Post
There has been A LOT of talk about officials this week to say the least. I was actually watching this match, know the official and talked to him after. He made a call, he talked to his assistant AND got an opinion from one of the SRI sitting mat side watching also, both saw it different than he did. He then made it correct by rule. This was officiating at its best. We are also talking about the same official that called the Mattin/Hoskins match perfectly earlier in the round. There has been a lot of talk of officials being better, being biased purposely, etc... If we could clone this official not just as a referee but as a person, we would all be in a better place. If we could all swallow our pride a little bit like he did and do the right thing wouldn't life be grand. I'm sure others will see this differently, which is fine, but suspended & terminated? Come on...
Great post .
Old 03-11-18, 06:40 PM
All World

Quote:
Calling for him to be suspended/terminated is way too far, I agree.

But to say it was the right call is dumb when OSHAA and the head table/head referee later told the Mogadore coach with the local paper reporter right there that the call was botched. It was admitted later it was botched. So calling it “correct” here is wrong.
Old 03-11-18, 06:57 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
Calling for him to be suspended/terminated is way too far, I agree.

But to say it was the right call is dumb when OSHAA and the head table/head referee later told the Mogadore coach with the local paper reporter right there that the call was botched. It was admitted later it was botched. So calling it “correct” here is wrong.
Well you can disagree w/ the process all you want, however, the process was handled textbook. I'll take the official at his word over a possible conversation with someone who wasn't involved and a newspaper reporter that I'm sure has an unbiased, informed opinion from all sides.
Old 03-11-18, 07:08 PM
All World

Quote:
Well you can disagree w/ the process all you want, however, the process was handled textbook. I'll take the official at his word over a possible conversation with someone who wasn't involved and a newspaper reporter that I'm sure has an unbiased, informed opinion from all sides.
The actual official is not happy about it either. Won’t go into details but he has been asked about it and was not happy with the outcome.

The fact is that OHSAA and the head official later admitted it was botched. It wasn’t “text book”. Most veteran officials will tell you when the defensive wrestler jogs 8-10 feet away from the offensive wrestler he had plenty of time to turn around on his own and chose not too.

At that point since he chose not to turn around he is no longer defenseless.

On top of that, if he was still defenseless then they should have taken the escape away and started them 4-4 with Skye on top with 24 sec left.
Old 03-11-18, 07:12 PM
All World

Quote:
Ref that was the head official for the match disagrees with you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F73B11DD-8557-4A02-9D23-95104DE2EAA8.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	2184  
Old 03-11-18, 07:26 PM
Varsity

asylum55 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeape View Post
Skye would have won the rematch. Aside from the first 30 sec at districts, he dominated the match and Willis was spent.
First 30 seconds??? Gaige had a nice counter shot and got the takedown... then rode him out of bounds. Then a restart and rode him into a stalemate.... Then turned him for two back points as the whistle blew... Second period Gaige chose down and Paul stood him up. Paul shoots and Gaige fends him off with a quarter Nelson, then Gaige shoots and they get a stalemate again.... Gaige shoots again and another stalemate is called and then Gaige had blood time because he was bleeding from the bridge of his nose. He was dazed and thought his nose was broken. He took himself out of the match and Skye turned the pressure on.

Gaige controlled the whole first period and part of the second until he got his bell rung. I am in no way taking anything from Skye, I think he’s a hell of a wrestler but for you to sit here and say he dominated after the first 30 seconds just isn’t true and for you to say he WOULD have won the rematch is just pure conjecture. No one knows what would happen. Personally, I think it would have been a great rematch and a fun finals to watch. It was the finals match Gaige was hoping for and really wanted. Unfortunately it didn’t work out that way. I got a chance to speak with Skye and he seems like a great young man and I wish him all the best serving our country.
Old 03-11-18, 07:32 PM
All District

Obviously not everyone is going to be happy with the outcome. There are a lot of people at the head table. I'm not sure who said it was the wrong call. The official followed proper procedure and changed his original call after talking to his asst and the SRI mat side. That is one of the things everyone on here bashing the officials for the past week has wanted. Calls to be corrected or the "head" official to change calls based on other people's opinions they respect in a matter of seconds and make EVERY call right. Mistakes are made and everyone walks away from the situation seeing things differently sometimes. Unfortunately for the kid who lost it was a terrible call. I'm pretty sure EVERYONE rooting for SMCC would tell you the exact opposite. Nothing agregious here. Move on...
Old 03-11-18, 07:39 PM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by asylum55 View Post
First 30 seconds??? Gaige had a nice counter shot and got the takedown... then rode him out of bounds. Then a restart and rode him into a stalemate.... Then turned him for two back points as the whistle blew... Second period Gaige chose down and Paul stood him up. Paul shoots and Gaige fends him off with a quarter Nelson, then Gaige shoots and they get a stalemate again.... Gaige shoots again and another stalemate is called and then Gaige had blood time because he was bleeding from the bridge of his nose. He was dazed and thought his nose was broken. He took himself out of the match and Skye turned the pressure on.

Gaige controlled the whole first period and part of the second until he got his bell rung. I am in no way taking anything from Skye, I think he’s a hell of a wrestler but for you to sit here and say he dominated after the first 30 seconds just isn’t true and for you to say he WOULD have won the rematch is just pure conjecture. No one knows what would happen. Personally, I think it would have been a great rematch and a fun finals to watch. It was the finals match Gaige was hoping for and really wanted. Unfortunately it didn’t work out that way. I got a chance to speak with Skye and he seems like a great young man and I wish him all the best serving our country.
Congratulations asylum55. PM me when you can. It is a shame that Skye and Willis didn't meet on Saturday evening but I think both kids will make us proud.!

Good Luck to all wrestlers!!