Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-16-18, 07:05 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
Norwayne is Waynedale's big brother, sort of like Daryl and Daryl.
Old 02-16-18, 07:25 PM
All District

carpmentor is on a distinguished road
All of transfer rules are confusing with the exemptions. If you meet an exemption does the athlete still forfeit 50%? For example: You build a house in the same school district but different high school zoning. Does that athlete lose 50% of all sports they compete in?
Old 02-16-18, 07:27 PM
All District

Mr.wrsln2 is on a distinguished road
Do the smitihes have a wrestling squad?
Old 02-16-18, 07:44 PM
All American

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Myth View Post
Interscholastic sports should be about the community and the school. If they don't want to play a sport for that school because the school they live by isn't on their level then just participate in AAU or off-season events. Nothing is keeping kids from year round training. This may dilute the talent in high school sports but at least we can get some type of honest community based athletics again.
High school athletics are not for the community. They are for the kids. It is great if the community rallyís but it is not the purpose.
Old 02-16-18, 08:05 PM
All District

grapeape is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1 View Post
High school athletics are not for the community. They are for the kids. It is great if the community rallyís but it is not the purpose.
We rely pretty heavily on the community to support us! Spirit, fundraising,etc. I'm not sure where you get your support.
Old 02-16-18, 08:31 PM
All World

The Myth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Then why not just get rid of the high school teams and let everyone just play AAU year round? Elite wrestlers can just travel to their own specific schedules that their parents can afford while new wrestlers wrestle new events. Teams can get sponsors from brands. We can just make it about the kids then. Schools would be able to save a decent amount of money I bet. I personally think that would be a disaster to sports but lets be honest, that is where we are headed. Participation numbers are crashing at a pretty scary rate.
Old 02-16-18, 09:25 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeape View Post
We rely pretty heavily on the community to support us! Spirit, fundraising,etc. I'm not sure where you get your support.
Again. High school athletics are not for the community. They are for the kids. It is great if the community supports the programs, but that is not their purpose.
Old 02-16-18, 09:33 PM
All American

Quote:
Then why not just get rid of the high school teams and let everyone just play AAU year round? Elite wrestlers can just travel to their own specific schedules that their parents can afford while new wrestlers wrestle new events. Teams can get sponsors from brands. We can just make it about the kids then. Schools would be able to save a decent amount of money I bet. I personally think that would be a disaster to sports but lets be honest, that is where we are headed. Participation numbers are crashing at a pretty scary rate.
Because it is important for the development of kids that high schools offer extra curricular activities. AAU sport is not available or appropriate for all high school students. Iím not sure which high schools you follow, but I donít see a lack of participation in high school athletics.
Old 02-16-18, 09:55 PM
All World

The Myth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Because it is important for the development of kids that high schools offer extra curricular activities. AAU sport is not available or appropriate for all high school students. Iím not sure which high schools you follow, but I donít see a lack of participation in high school athletics.
There were D1 sectionals last year with only 5 wrestlers at some weights. You have schools combining Freshman and JV baseball, soccer, softball, and even basketball at some D1 schools even. Some junior high football teams have to combine 7th and 8th grade to field a team. These are all in D1 school districts too.
Old 02-16-18, 10:16 PM
All American

Quote:
There were D1 sectionals last year with only 5 wrestlers at some weights. You have schools combining Freshman and JV baseball, soccer, softball, and even basketball at some D1 schools even. Some junior high football teams have to combine 7th and 8th grade to field a team. These are all in D1 school districts too.
According to the the OHSAA, 2016/17 had the highest rate of high school participation in the last 10 years. It was up something like 13,000 over the previous year.
Old 02-16-18, 10:24 PM
All Ohio

roughedge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
According to the the OHSAA, 2016/17 had the highest rate of high school participation in the last 10 years. It was up something like 13,000 over the previous year.
Must have been talk of the 2 piece singlets. I think opening more avenues for girls will spike numbers even more.
Old 02-16-18, 10:32 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos07 View Post
I just read through the list of exceptions; they range from bullying to academics, etc.... I really do not see this rule being a deterrent. Simply a headache and a little more paperwork. If a kid really wants to change schools, I think it will still happen without the forfeit of a postseason......
The bullying one is hilarious to me. Iím a wrestler but I canít defend myself.
Old 02-16-18, 10:36 PM
All District

mos07 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
The bullying one is hilarious to me. Iím a wrestler but I canít defend myself.
I am a 106 pacifist. That might work.
Old 02-17-18, 10:43 AM
All Ohio

Groundhog is on a distinguished road
I may have missed it as I read through this thread, but isn't the proposed change effectively undoing the rule change made a couple of years ago? You used to have to sit out a year, now it's 1/2 season, proposal is 1 whole season again.
Old 02-17-18, 10:55 AM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
I thought the proposal was to still sit out 1/2 season? Just the back half.
Old 02-17-18, 11:52 AM
All District

Smoke Screen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
I thought the proposal was to still sit out 1/2 season? Just the back half.
That is how I read it as well
Old 02-17-18, 12:08 PM
All Ohio

cosh wrestling dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos07 View Post
I am a 106 pacifist. That might work.
It's worked with alot heavier kids!
Old 02-17-18, 02:06 PM
All Ohio

Groundhog is on a distinguished road
I see that now. That's just weird.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-18, 05:00 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Quote:
There were D1 sectionals last year with only 5 wrestlers at some weights.
That was before they ditched the dreaded singlet. I've been assured that all weight classes and brackets will be full now that all of the self-conscious wrestling hammers roaming the halls of schools are Ohio can wear compression shirts and unleash their pent up furry!
Old 02-18-18, 08:46 AM
All Ohio

dman is on a distinguished road
This rule will affect “the handler” ie the parent. Much like the handlers of circus acts in the early 1900’s. Because of the organizational structure of the OHSAA and schools, really the only move “the handler” can make is to move his asset. Not to worry, usually “the handler” is highly creative, has a special set of skills, and legal connections to beat the OHSAA. I do not see this rule changing anything. Let’s move on ............
Old 02-18-18, 09:29 AM
All District

Crimsonblooded is on a distinguished road
I agree, it has to pass first and in the end it won't change anything. Let's move on!
Old 02-18-18, 12:18 PM
All District

Smoke Screen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsonblooded View Post
I agree, it has to pass first and in the end it won't change anything. Let's move on!
Seems like they have been consistently enforcing sitting out the first half after transferring
Old 02-18-18, 01:06 PM
All American

Coach Root is on a distinguished road
I've been in the public sector coaching my entire career up until this season... My view has never changed: families are going to do what they feel gives them a competitive advantage in regards to earning a scholarship if their son is at that level. Be it transferring to another public school, a private school, or staying with their community team and getting extra work in the off-season. I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, I'm saying that it's a families decision in my opinion.

If I had to bet, I would bet that most of the kids that transfer based on what we'll call athletic reason, are more likely to play that sport in college. In other words, the families that are willing to do whatever it takes to improve their chances usually have a career path that lasts beyond high school. By no means am I saying that individuals can't get it done at their home/community school... I'm simply saying, that if a family is willing to move for the sport, then that sport is pretty important to them and the likelihood of competing after high school is probably high based on that built in belief and desire. It's not any higher than a similarly committed wrestler who stays at their community school, but the families willingness to do in their opinion "whatever it takes" is a strong indicator.

The reality is that those that want to change schools will make it work. It would be nice to appreciate the wrestler for their skill set and not based on whether they are part of a select community. It's even more sad to watch people root against a wrestler that left for their own reasons.

Coach Root
Old 02-18-18, 02:08 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Root View Post
I've been in the public sector coaching my entire career up until this season... My view has never changed: families are going to do what they feel gives them a competitive advantage in regards to earning a scholarship if their son is at that level. Be it transferring to another public school, a private school, or staying with their community team and getting extra work in the off-season. I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, I'm saying that it's a families decision in my opinion.

If I had to bet, I would bet that most of the kids that transfer based on what we'll call athletic reason, are more likely to play that sport in college. In other words, the families that are willing to do whatever it takes to improve their chances usually have a career path that lasts beyond high school. By no means am I saying that individuals can't get it done at their home/community school... I'm simply saying, that if a family is willing to move for the sport, then that sport is pretty important to them and the likelihood of competing after high school is probably high based on that built in belief and desire. It's not any higher than a similarly committed wrestler who stays at their community school, but the families willingness to do in their opinion "whatever it takes" is a strong indicator.

The reality is that those that want to change schools will make it work. It would be nice to appreciate the wrestler for their skill set and not based on whether they are part of a select community. It's even more sad to watch people root against a wrestler that left for their own reasons.

Coach Root
Same things I've said for a long time, but never as well. Thanks, coach.
Old 02-18-18, 03:20 PM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
I'm a fan of the endangered species known as "the 18 year old senior wrestler competing for his native school". Anything that moves us more in that direction gets my support.
I bet you're still upset Betamax lost to VHS.
Old 02-18-18, 03:44 PM
All Ohio

And really just go the bullying route and your exonerated.
Old 02-18-18, 04:05 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
And really just go the bullying route and your exonerated.
Not that simple. Incidents have to be reported to the school and documented. And schools are required to keep records and report on this. Unless of course your advocating for making false accusations against innocent people.
Old 02-18-18, 05:41 PM
All Ohio

cosh wrestling dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
Not that simple. Incidents have to be reported to the school and documented. And schools are required to keep records and report on this. Unless of course your advocating for making false accusations against innocent people.
i. Would have to say this is incorrect sir kids move to one school and then move back the very next year...maybe the "bullier" graduated. Still seems the easy way to go!
Old 02-18-18, 09:32 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosh wrestling dad View Post
i. Would have to say this is incorrect sir kids move to one school and then move back the very next year...maybe the "bullier" graduated. Still seems the easy way to go!
Saying I'm incorrect doesn't make it so. Read transfer by law 4-7-2, them come back and post again. Many parents have thought it would be the "easy way to go" and found out otherwise. It requires an appeal and exhaustive documentation to be granted this exception.
Old 02-19-18, 08:36 AM
All Ohio

Not to discredit kids who actually get bullied, but it’s and open book - wrestling itself is bullying - “the handlers” know this - easy way out.