Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-24-17, 11:39 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
It was like a mashup of Training Day and Game of Thrones.
good description.
Old 12-27-17, 12:29 PM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
I watched Bright last night. I liked it. It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good. I like the soundtrack a lot.
Old 12-27-17, 10:39 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
The Bishop's Wife (1947) - Fine Christmas film. Cary Grant was never more debonair as he was here as a angel. David Niven, one of my favorite actors who happened to be a real world commando during WWII did a great job as an uptight bishop.

6/8
Old 12-27-17, 11:45 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
The Bishop's Wife (1947) - Fine Christmas film. Cary Grant was never more debonair as he was here as a angel. David Niven, one of my favorite actors who happened to be a real world commando during WWII did a great job as an uptight bishop.

6/8
My better half and I watched this (thanks to OhioPup's recommendation) and we agree with you. The Bishop's wife (Loretta Young) was the big winner! Goblet of port wine, anyone?

Holiday Affair (1949) - Robert Mitchum, Janet Leigh, and Wendell Corey. Could take or leave Mitchum, but Janet Leigh was nice to look at. A love versus security story. Per IMDb:

Just before Christmas, department store clerk Steve Mason meets big spending customer Connie Ennis, really a commercial spy. He unmasks her but lets her go, which gets him fired. They end up on a date, which doesn't sit well with Connie's steady suitor, Carl, but delights her son Timmy, who doesn't want Carl for a step-dad. Standard (if sweet) romantic complications follow. 5.5/8

Last edited by EagleGuy; 12-28-17 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-28-17, 06:54 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
The Darkest Hour

If you aren't much of a history buff and just want to see a movie my yappi grade is: 6/8

If you are a history buff and can't get enough of the History Channel's various WW2 specials then my yappi grade is: 8/8

Gary Oldman is absolutely brilliant in channeling Winston Churchill in this fascinating study of the period in which Churchill becomes prime minister of Great Britain. The movie has a tight narrative as it covers the critical days in May as France neared defeat and Britain appeared on the verge of losing it's army at Dunkirk.

Focusing mostly on the political intrigue that dominated those perilous few weeks the movie gives lay folks a look at WW2 history that they probably weren't aware of. While those expert in the history of the time will revel in the details and masterful performances.

Oldman has to be considered the lead for a best male Actor Oscar as his performance is amazing.
Old 12-29-17, 10:49 AM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
The Big Sick- 5/8

Pretty good movie based on a true story. It's a good movie to watch when there's not really much else on.
Old 12-29-17, 11:26 PM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Disaster Artists- 6/8. Franco was hilarious
Old 12-30-17, 09:39 PM
All Yappi

3 Billboards outside Ebbing, Mo- 7/8. Outstanding
Old 12-30-17, 10:51 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
An Alfred Hitchcock mini-binge, thanks to TCM:

Rear Window (1954) - James Stewart, Grace Kelly (Need I Say More?), Thelma Ritter, Wendell Corey, Raymond Burr

A magazine photographer, housebound on account of a broken leg, becomes voyeur to the apartment building facing his rear window for lack of anything to do. Soon, he draws his visiting girlfriend in on the thrill and eventually they witness a murder in progress that gets them into hot water. Bing Summary

Loved the glimpse into big-city living with neighbors within seeing and hearing distance, dime-size gardens and ultra narrow alley-way. (Greenwich Village?) No, I won't take Manhattan - at least not this neighborhood. 7/8. Rotten Tomatoes = 100%.

North By Northwest (1959) - Cary Grant, Eve Marie Saint, James Mason

Cary Grant stars as an innocent man mistaken for a spy in one of director Alfred Hitchcock's greatest thrillers. While leaving New York's Plaza Hotel, advertising executive Roger Thornhill (Grant) has the misfortune of standing just as the name "George Kaplan" is paged, starting a lethal case of mistaken identity and a nonstop game of cat and mouse as he is pursued across North America by espionage agents trying to kill him--and by police who suspect him of murder. Bing

NYC to Mount Rushmore. I had seen bits of this movie before, but not alpha to omega. Movie is a bit long for me at ~2 1/4 hours, but the action, especially the last scene, makes it bearable. 6.5/8. Rotten Tomatoes = 100%.

Dial M For Murder (1954) - Ray Milland, Grace Kelly (again!), Robert Cummings

After learning that his wife Margot had a brief affair with mystery writer Mark Halliday, Tony Wendice decides he's going to kill her. He wants to provide himself with an ironclad alibi and so blackmail a one-time schoolmate with a shady past, Charles Swann, to do the killing for him. Bing

A good mystery, but a bit tedious - even for a mystery. If you watch, stay on your toes following the movement of the "latch key." The villain would have made a good pol., having the quickest devious mind I have seen on screen. 6/8. Rotten Tomatoes = 88%.

Last edited by EagleGuy; 12-30-17 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-31-17, 04:50 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Jumanji, Welcome To The Jungle: 5.5/8

Solid comedy a little better than I expected. Cast had incredible chemistry. 1-2 dick jokes but other than that mostly family friendly. A handful of sh!ts and , but overall content isn't too bad. First time one of my daughters have ever commented on the language though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-17, 05:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
Jumanji, Welcome To The Jungle: 5.5/8

Solid comedy a little better than I expected. Cast had incredible chemistry. 1-2 dick jokes but other than that mostly family friendly. A handful of sh!ts and , but overall content isn't too bad. First time one of my daughters have ever commented on the language though.

This whole post reeks of softness.
Old 12-31-17, 06:04 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
This whole post reeks of softness.

Sure.

Old 12-31-17, 08:31 PM
All Yappi

The Florida Project- 7/8. Might be my top movie for 2017.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: