Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-21-18, 07:06 PM
All Region

Cavman96 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Few years ago when the AD put it out there in the paper I called him out when they brought up the extra income from hosting playoff games, and he threw out a number how much it would add to the local economy for hosting more playoff games.

I call that bunk and still call it bunk. For one, the only time we can host is the off nights that CW does not have a playoff game...assuming we continue to make it more times than not.
Also, its not like CW is a thoroughfare where it would be in the middle to be able to host a lot of games.

Would it be nice? Sure it would. I asked the question at the time and never got an answer....would the track and field still be open and unlocked for the public to use at any time. I know some places lock it up like Ft Knox. The track and field gets used often by the community.

I still want to see numbers how a turf field would save money over the long run. That is one thing I also dont believe.

but with that said....if we can raise funds to do so and it is still open to the public and they use legit reasons why instead of pumping tens of thousands in the community in hosting playoff agmes then I am all for it
I agree with everything you've stated. With that said, I just checked out the link that StateChamp posted. This is the first time I've seen this. Whoever wrote this is obviously trying to promote the idea. It sounds like it could cost between 500 and 600 thousand dollars to put in and approx. 300 thousand dollars to replace after 10-15 years. Which in annual savings that could actually pay for itself. I agree though, I don't see it dumping all of these thousands of dollars into the community for hosting playoff games. With that said, if that presentation gets out, I can see us doing this just because of having to play soccer on the football field now. It sounds like everybody who has it is happy with it.

And StateChamp makes a point, too. It doesn't stop there. I'm all for moving the discus. But you have to update the bleachers (especially the visitors), they HAVE to fix the home concessions, that was a horrible idea to have one on the opposite side of where the kids are. Do you add a video scoreboard like Versailles. It just goes on and on. I'm not so much against the idea as I was, though.

Last edited by Cavman96; 08-21-18 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-21-18, 07:21 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavman96 View Post
I agree with everything you've stated. With that said, I just checked out the link that StateChamp posted. This is the first time I've seen this. Whoever wrote this is obviously trying to promote the idea. It sounds like it could cost between 500 and 600 thousand dollars to put in and approx. 300 thousand dollars to replace after 10-15 years. Which in annual savings that could actually pay for itself. I agree though, I don't see it dumping all of these thousands of dollars into the community for hosting playoff games. With that said, if that presentation gets out, I can see us doing this just because of having to play soccer on the football field now. It sounds like everybody who has it is happy with it.
It was linked to the school website. Not sure if it still is but yes Eric was really trying to sell the idea. The idea that it'll pump money into our economy by visiting towns spending money at our businesses when they play a playoff game here is pretty funny and only thinking of a best case scenario but we wont get barely any playoff games and that shouldn't be the focus of our turf initiative. The deterioration of our grass should be. I do think it would benefit us greatly though.
Old 08-21-18, 07:41 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
It was linked to the school website. Not sure if it still is but yes Eric was really trying to sell the idea. The idea that it'll pump money into our economy by visiting towns spending money at our businesses when they play a playoff game here is pretty funny and only thinking of a best case scenario but we wont get barely any playoff games and that shouldn't be the focus of our turf initiative. The deterioration of our grass should be. I do think it would benefit us greatly though.
I've been watching these football games for years now. Rarely do I see visiting towns at our local businesses before our home football games. Obviously, Marion Local is a different animal all together. You might see some St. Henry people at McSobers, but that's just because they all know Trent.

I don't see Parkway people at South Side. I don't see Ft. Recovery people at the bowling alley. I also don't see our businesses throwing pre-game parties like they used to do in other towns like Anna for an example. It's sad really. We even have a beer garden that probably won't get used this year. But you're right, the field issue quality itself is another subject.
Old 08-21-18, 07:44 PM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
I've been watching these football games for years now. Rarely do I see visiting towns at our local businesses before our home football games. Obviously, Marion Local is a different animal all together. You might see some St. Henry people at McSobers, but that's just because they all know Trent.

I don't see Parkway people at South Side. I don't see Ft. Recovery people at the bowling alley. I also don't see our businesses throwing pre-game parties like they used to do in other towns like Anna for an example. It's sad really. We even have a beer garden that probably won't get used this year. But you're right, the field issue quality itself is another subject.
Uh, how about Sheriff Andy,Barney, Gomer,Opie,Aunt Bee, and Floyd the barber?
Old 08-21-18, 08:06 PM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
I always thought that the Cavs had one of the BEST fields in the MAC....why don't they just find a place to put the girls soccer field instead of playing on the football field
Old 08-21-18, 08:08 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh, how about Sheriff Andy,Barney, Gomer,Opie,Aunt Bee, and Floyd the barber?
look what the cat dragged in..... really not sure what your post means, but then it is from HOZER....
Old 08-21-18, 08:11 PM
All World

Quote:

hit the Tailspin every chance I can get.....
Old 08-21-18, 08:20 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
I always thought that the Cavs had one of the BEST fields in the MAC....why don't they just find a place to put the girls soccer field instead of playing on the football field
They did when we started the program in 2009 but the field just became inadequate. It was literally in a spot that used to be a water treatment plant at one time I think and all the field did was collect water when it rained and just was unsafe. To be honest, there really isn't many other places they could go besides Cavalier Stadium. I always thought we had good quality grass but the pictures from the survey showed how it has seemed to go downhill and I don't think its soccer's fault.
Old 08-21-18, 08:25 PM
All Region

Quote:
They had one. But it sits so low into the ground (kind of like old Hole Field before the updates), plus it lacks restroom facilities. So they moved their games to the football field because of the facilities. The whole turf idea kind of makes more sense when you find out details like that. A lot of us just didn't see why we wanted to put something in that we weren't sure was really needed. And no one was buying playoff hosting as the only reason.

But the addition of soccer does put more strain on the field. I can kind of see it now. Now they just have to fund it. That slideshow that StateChamp posted is kind of interesting if you keep an open mind to it.
Old 08-21-18, 08:32 PM
All American

Quote:
They had one. But it sits so low into the ground (kind of like old Hole Field before the updates), plus it lacks restroom facilities. So they moved their games to the football field because of the facilities. The whole turf idea kind of makes more sense when you find out details like that. A lot of us just didn't see why we wanted to put something in that we weren't sure was really needed. And no one was buying playoff hosting as the only reason.

But the addition of soccer does put more strain on the field. I can kind of see it now. Now they just have to fund it. That slideshow that StateChamp posted is kind of interesting if you keep an open mind to it.
I think if people can see past the price tag and see all the positives it will have, it will get done.

Chip's first coaches corner weekly preview is up.
www.cavfootball.com

Last edited by StateChampion2012; 08-21-18 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Coaches Corner
Old 08-21-18, 11:00 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:

And StateChamp makes a point, too. It doesn't stop there. I'm all for moving the discus. But you have to update the bleachers (especially the visitors), they HAVE to fix the home concessions, that was a horrible idea to have one on the opposite side of where the kids are. Do you add a video scoreboard like Versailles. It just goes on and on. I'm not so much against the idea as I was, though.
I have always questioned the 25K per year to maintain the field, but assuming that is a legit figure.... I still wont buy in that it pays for itself because remember it needs maintenance and replaced in 10-15.

They throw out these type of figures to try and justify it but in reality the reason to get it does NOT lay in the financial aspect. It just doesn't. That is the only problem I have with it as they try to make it as a sound fiscal decision. Its like when someone who really wants a new car and uses better gas mileage to justify it but in reality that 15-20K they pay for the new car wont be made up in that better gas mileage, it just a way to try and convince themselves.

but I digress. I think we should go for it. Do it now while the program is still on a good run because when it ends no one will be wanting to pony up the cash. It will be a great addition to the school, the community and the future.I am all for it but not for the financial reasons they are trying to state.

with that said.....I think the mac goes .500 this Friday.
Old 08-22-18, 09:26 AM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Here is an article about New Bremen's scrimmage vs. Lima Shawnee : https://www.theeveningleader.com/con...gainst-shawnee
Old 08-22-18, 09:29 AM
All World

[QUOTE=thavoice;7089025]

Quote:
I agree with that.
Old 08-22-18, 12:09 PM
All Region

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
For the heck of it, went through and counted roster numbers for MAC football teams:

Coldwater - 74
Marion Local - 72
St. Henry - 58
Versailles - 58
New Bremen - 57
Minster - 56
Delphos St. John's - 49
Parkway - 43
Fort Recovery - 43
Anna - 42

A couple of surprising numbers, especially how high New Bremen is and how low Anna is.
Old 08-22-18, 01:25 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
For the heck of it, went through and counted roster numbers for MAC football teams:

Coldwater - 74
Marion Local - 72
St. Henry - 58
Versailles - 58
New Bremen - 57
Minster - 56
Delphos St. John's - 49
Parkway - 43
Fort Recovery - 43
Anna - 42

A couple of surprising numbers, especially how high New Bremen is and how low Anna is.

where did you get this info from?
Old 08-22-18, 01:55 PM
All Region

Gary Rasberry (Presumably for the football preview issue).
Old 08-22-18, 02:02 PM
All World

Quote:
Gary Rasberry (Presumably for the football preview issue).
do they all come out on Thursday? st marys , Celina, and lima
Old 08-22-18, 07:37 PM
All Region

Quote:
I have always questioned the 25K per year to maintain the field, but assuming that is a legit figure...…. I still wont buy in that it pays for itself because remember it needs maintenance and replaced in 10-15.

They throw out these type of figures to try and justify it but in reality the reason to get it does NOT lay in the financial aspect. It just doesn't. That is the only problem I have with it as they try to make it as a sound fiscal decision. Its like when someone who really wants a new car and uses better gas mileage to justify it but in reality that 15-20K they pay for the new car wont be made up in that better gas mileage, it just a way to try and convince themselves.

but I digress. I think we should go for it. Do it now while the program is still on a good run because when it ends no one will be wanting to pony up the cash. It will be a great addition to the school, the community and the future.I am all for it but not for the financial reasons they are trying to state.

Awesome post. I agree. Do it and see what happens. If anything, the soccer program (girls) will thank you.

Don't count the MAC out yet. 6-4, 7-3.
Old 08-22-18, 07:44 PM
All American

SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Fenwick-Anna Preview

Fessler grateful to be running again for Fenwick

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...FYN8d53v61DsN/
Old 08-22-18, 08:49 PM
All American

https://pressprosmagazine.com/my-dar...p-every-night/
Old 08-23-18, 08:56 AM
All World

Quote:
do they all come out on Thursday? st marys , Celina, and lima
The Lima News must not consider the MAC to be part of the Lima News area as their was no preview of MAC teams in their football preview not in their internet article anyways. Except for DSJ.
Old 08-23-18, 09:37 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
The Lima News must not consider the MAC to be part of the Lima News area as their was no preview of MAC teams in their football preview not in their internet article anyways. Except for DSJ.
they usually have a extra section for teams outside of Allen county....it is one of the better previews around
Old 08-23-18, 10:55 AM
All World

Preview of several games that MAC teams will play this Friday : https://www.sidneydailynews.com/spor...iliar-opponent
Old 08-23-18, 01:45 PM
All World

Will Brown be able to play for Minster this week ?
Old 08-23-18, 04:14 PM
All Region

Quote:
Will Brown be able to play for Minster this week ?
Not sure about Brown, but I heard you guys are getting a free-be this week from Woodlan. I guess they are not charging admission this week. Something about an appreciation for their new turf or something? Not sure.

I'm wondering if you would ever see that in Ohio (OHSAA).
Old 08-23-18, 04:28 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Lima News is pretty much pathetic in covering the MAC area.
DDN as well, except come playoff time when they hop on the bandwagon and start talking about the MAC being in the Miami Valley to get more buyers.

I fall for it.

Season is about here. Will we see any surprises tomorrow?

I was surprised to see the roster sizes. Anna...what is happening? Many in MACLand believed that when their original coach (in joining the MAC) left that they would really start to flourish. Did I read 42? HOnda not bringing in the workers with athletic kids anymore? I know they struggle to maintain employees at times. I had through by now, and maybe this is the year, that Anna would be dominating the league.

Goodliuck to all the MAC teams this weekend. Get those OCC wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-18, 04:52 PM
All Region

I heard today Anna has 30+ eighth graders playing football, so those numbers should come back up soon.
Old 08-23-18, 10:05 PM
All American

Quote:

Coldwater - 74
Marion Local - 72
St. Henry - 58
Versailles - 58
New Bremen - 57
Minster - 56
Delphos St. John's - 49
Parkway - 43
Fort Recovery - 43
Anna - 42

New Bremen's #'s don't surprise me because I think they had 50 last year. Anna though is pretty surprising if that number is accurate. Biggest school - smallest roster doesn't make much sense.
Old 08-24-18, 07:04 AM
All World

Quote:
I heard today Anna has 30+ eighth graders playing football, so those numbers should come back up soon.
they have always had 30 plus kids playing in JH....
Old 08-24-18, 07:05 AM
All World

Quote:

Coldwater - 74
Marion Local - 72
St. Henry - 58
Versailles - 58
New Bremen - 57
Minster - 56
Delphos St. John's - 49
Parkway - 43
Fort Recovery - 43
Anna - 42

the FORTS numbers surprise me to