Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-05-18, 11:58 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Anyone else think Marcus Freeman could be heading to a Power 5 DC gig at the end of the season? Heck, he could be next in line in Columbus if things do not turn around there quickly. He is only making $275.0K at UC, a DC job at a tOSU type program is a $1.0 million plus gig and a spring board to the big seat.
I fully expect Freeman to be gone next year. Linebacker was a concern going into the year. They moved former DE Wright to MLB due to desperate need. And now they might be the best unit on defense.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-18, 12:59 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Im sure Fick has a huge hand in the success of the defense so Marcus is certainly benefitting from that, but things are looking up for him
Old 11-05-18, 01:04 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Went to the game Saturday and saw that butt whooping. Wanted to watch Navy play but too bad they stuck this year.

Thought it was great there was a jump into the stadium in the pregame...pretty cool!
Old 11-05-18, 09:40 PM
All American

Pope Francis 1 is on a distinguished road
I’m one of the rare birds who’s a huge fan of both UC & OSU.
And having said that, I often wonder if Fickell will one day replace Urban...
Old 11-05-18, 09:45 PM
All Region

Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Thats great but why would he come to UC? He has no ties to the state, no ties to the coaching staff, sub par conference, sub par facilities. He was just at a P5 school why would he go the a middle of the road G5 school? The reason Arkansas has a shot is bc Chad Morris and him have a connection. He has no connection to the school. To compare the Burrow situation to this is laughable at best. To think UC would have any shot at landing him is worse than laughable. Dreams are free i guess.
Why?! To play. To win. To showcase himself for The League. Why else?

Yes, he can do that elsewhere. I NEVER SAID HE COULDN'T. The whole point was UC would do well to go after him! If he doesn't accept, too bad. But it does NO GOOD to just assume he would have no interest!
Old 11-05-18, 09:53 PM
All Region

Quote:
I fail to see how a few qbs have been drafted from unheralded schools makes UC standout amongst those other "unheralded" schools and other p5 schools.... has UC had one of those qbs? No. So what does UC have to do with any of it? That doesnt make UC stand out in the crowd.

Like it or not he has a better shot at improving his draft at Arkansas than he does at UC. A bottom feeding SEC school is still more attractive than a school like UC
stand out?! Would you show where I've said UC is the standout program? I didn't, so YOU CAN'T! FAKE NEWS!

Getting pummeled by 3 scores every week at Arkansas is NOT going to help him more than shining at UC and competing for the AAC title!
Old 11-05-18, 09:56 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
No, you just don't like my reasons. I can give you a list of reasons why and you would try to refute them with your red and black glasses on.
Try me.
Old 11-06-18, 07:36 AM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
14red had multiple accounts i guess
Old 11-06-18, 08:28 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
14red had multiple accounts i guess
Old 11-06-18, 08:31 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Grumbleman View Post
Try me.
Arkansas:
-best conference in college football
-better facilities
-better exposure
-better competition

UNC:
-better conference
-better facilities
-better exposure
-better competition
-Mitch Trubisky
Old 11-06-18, 10:08 AM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Ridder has not been impressive. I know he is a freshman. I suppose to some that grants him a lot of leeway, but I'm not so forgiving. His decisions and accuracy leave a lot to be desired. If he does not improve in those areas by mid-season 2019, Fickle and Co. must move on from him. In fact, I think they should be going hard after Kelly Bryant (he's courting programs like Arkansas and North Carolina, so why not UC?). Ridder would learn a lot sitting behind him for a year.
Your 2nd to last sentence implies to me that you think UC has a shot

Maybe I am reading into it wrong. I often do that on message boards
Old 11-06-18, 11:31 AM
All Region

Saint Columban is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I fully expect Freeman to be gone next year. Linebacker was a concern going into the year. They moved former DE Wright to MLB due to desperate need. And now they might be the best unit on defense.
Couldnt blame him a bit for heading to osu. hes done a great job for us. would love to keep him a while longer to give us a full recruiting/rebuilding cycle with him, but its a business. gotta trust fickell to be able to replace him, and the job is certainly more attractive now than when he arrived.
Old 11-06-18, 11:46 AM
All Region

Saint Columban is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope Francis 1 View Post
Im one of the rare birds whos a huge fan of both UC & OSU.
And having said that, I often wonder if Fickell will one day replace Urban...
i personally dont see it. i dont think the timing will line up, as urbans health seems to be declining and his days may be numbered (i could be wrong). while fickell has done well in his second season, his overall resume still isnt very good. escpecially considering his interim season at osu was miserable but sandwiched between two spectacular seasons. osu is on a level where they can pick almost anybody they want. unless meyer hangs in there for at least 5 more years, i just dont see fickells resume even having a chance at building enough.

i just really hope fickell waits for a great job. it would be extremely disappointing to see him jump in a year or two to a middle of the pack p5 job with a low ceiling.
Old 11-07-18, 06:07 PM
All Region

Quote:
Your 2nd to last sentence implies to me that you think UC has a shot

Maybe I am reading into it wrong. I often do that on message boards
My point was that UC would do well to TRY luring Bryant there! Would they be the frontrunner? WHO KNOWS?! The only thing that's certain is UC doesn't have a shot if they never make a call!
Old 11-07-18, 06:25 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Arkansas:
-best conference in college football
-better facilities
-better competition

UNC:
-better conference
-better facilities
-better competition
You need to explain why these are important to a player with NFL aspirations and one year of eligibility remaining. One would assume a player in that position would be primarily concerned about their draft stock, wouldn't you agree? If so, how would it help getting depantsed weekly playing for Arkansas?! The likelihood is very small that he would be able to perform well in the SEC on a bad team!

For Bryant specifically, because he's a player who transferred from Clemson after losing his job to a FRESHMAN QB(!!!), going to a program where he's likely to play on a BAD TEAM seems unlikely to help his cause!

Quote:
-better exposure
??? Arkansas and North Carolina are not talked about by ESPN 24/7, like Alabama or Ohio State! UC's games on largely on ESPN, just like North Carolina and Arkansas!

Quote:
-Mitch Trubisky
This being valuable is contingent on whether one believes UNC created Trubisky or Trubisky was Trubisky in spite of the program! Given Larry Fedora's record is barely .500, the former is highly debatable!
Old 11-08-18, 08:04 AM
All Yappi

Like I said - there's my list and you just don't want to hear it. Your red and black glasses show you something that no one else sees.
Old 11-08-18, 08:27 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
You need to explain why these are important to a player with NFL aspirations and one year of eligibility remaining. One would assume a player in that position would be primarily concerned about their draft stock, wouldn't you agree? If so, how would it help getting depantsed weekly playing for Arkansas?! The likelihood is very small that he would be able to perform well in the SEC on a bad team!

For Bryant specifically, because he's a player who transferred from Clemson after losing his job to a FRESHMAN QB(!!!), going to a program where he's likely to play on a BAD TEAM seems unlikely to help his cause!

??? Arkansas and North Carolina are not talked about by ESPN 24/7, like Alabama or Ohio State! UC's games on largely on ESPN, just like North Carolina and Arkansas!

This being valuable is contingent on whether one believes UNC created Trubisky or Trubisky was Trubisky in spite of the program! Given Larry Fedora's record is barely .500, the former is highly debatable!
-You're right he's coming from Clemson, he's going to want to play against similar competition he saw at Clemson, in similar facilities and with as many eyeballs on him as possible - regardless if the team is awful. All three are more possible at an SEC/ACC school than an AAC.

-I'll look it up but Arkansas has played on ESPN, ESPN2, SEC Network and CBS. UNC has played on ESPN, ESPN2, ACC Network and ABC. Meanwhile UC has played on ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNews, CBS Sports Network and on the local Fox affiliate against Miami (OH). Pretty easy to see which programs get the preferential treatment when it comes to TV.

-Regardless if Mitch made the program/himself, he was still drafted #2 out of North Carolina. Something went right for him there in order to do so.
Old 11-08-18, 08:44 AM
All World

Players drafted by the NFL since Kelly has been in college (2016 draft being the first):
North Carolina - 9. Highest round selected - 1st.
Arkansas - 10. Highest round Selected - 1st.
Cincinnati - 4. Highest round selected - 4th.

QBs drafted in that time frame:
North Carolina - 1. Highest round selected - 1st.
Arkansas - 1. Highest round selected - 6th.
Cincinnati - 0. Highest round selected - N/A.
Old 11-10-18, 07:52 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Nice drive by UC. Clearly crossed the goalline
Old 11-10-18, 08:28 PM
All Yappi

Can't be muffing punts. Come on
Old 11-10-18, 09:31 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Offense looking damn good tonight. Ridder is throwing some fantastic balls.
Old 11-10-18, 10:06 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Yep. Good job Cats.
Old 11-11-18, 04:01 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Fun game. Two teams with a lot of locals on the roster.
Old 11-11-18, 10:00 PM
All Yappi

Gameday travelling to Orlando next week. Just unbelievable. From 4-8 to this.
Old 11-11-18, 10:05 PM
All Yappi

TBF it's a pretty bad week of college football
Old 11-11-18, 10:09 PM
All Yappi

True, but it still doesn't take away from how great this turnaround has been in such little time.
Old 11-12-18, 08:00 AM
All World

I'm considering flying down to FL for this game. Can't imagine when the next time Gameday will feature UC. Did they do any UC games back when Kelly was here?
Old 11-12-18, 08:19 AM
All Yappi

This will be the first one according to Wikipedia. They had some chances but it just never worked out.

2009:

#8 Cincinnati @ #21 USF, instead went to #20 OU/#3 Texas
#23 WVU @ #5 Cincinnati, instead went to #16 Utah @ #4 TCU
#5 Cincinnati @ #15 Pittsburgh, instead went to the SEC Championship game #2 Alabama/#1 Florida

2008 there really weren't any games that were Gameday material.

2007 had #25 Cincinnati @ #5 WVU, but they went to #2 Texas Texh @ #5 Oklahoma instead.
Old 11-12-18, 09:31 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Kick off for the USF game is now set at 7:00. Love evening games at Nippert; will be in Clifton Saturday so need to talk the wife into taking this one in but that may be a challenge because... The weather is looking to be in the 20s Saturday evening. I'm guessing the Bulls players will not be too happy either to be playing in freezing temps, if UC gets up on them early they could fold and be more worried about getting into the warmth of the locker room then the game at hand.
So I went to my 1st UC game this year and here are a few observations on the current Gameday experience:

- Nice crowd even though as called out it was frigid. The bowl sitting down in the ground helped keep the wind from making it worse but the crowd, especially the student section, had enough after the first half. That's a shame because it was a good game and the 3rd quarter was exciting.

- Pre-gaming in Clifton is a hit or miss type proposition. There were nice pockets of fans partying but no sense of mass that makes it feel like a exciting event to be at.

- The folks running the in game media stink. Too much rap music playing while there is action on the field and not enough replays of crucial plays. That 1st USF TD was crazy and we never got to see at least one reply of it.

- Hopefully they can build on the great season and sell some season tickets for next year to help bring more $s into the program. UCLA comes to Nippert to open the season, if that is not a sellout then UC will never truly be a football school.

Quote:
8-1 heading into UCF will not stink. With cupcake Saturday in the SEC and most conferences setting up for rivalry games the following Saturday the only other game with a pair of ranked teams will be ND vs Syracuse at Yankee Stadium. Gameday will probably set up shop in Times Sq but maybe they head to Orlando and give the AAC some love?
Looks like ESPN Gameday will be in Orlando for the game against UCF, it appears that the ESPN took warmth on the set over sleeping in their own beds. I fully expect the AAC marketing folks to commandeer the event and make this a Power 6 marketing event more than anything else. In the long run that will be fine but I'm sure a lot of folks at UC will be hoping for some Bearcat specific love to help with future recruiting efforts for all sports. At a 13 hour drive a few students should make the roadie to Orlando too, that's the kind of stuff you should do while in college.
Old 11-12-18, 01:00 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
TBF it's a pretty bad week of college football
Alabama/Citadel doesn't do it for you?