Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-07-18, 08:04 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
To be honest I view Beto losing as a giant failure by the Dems. Cruz is a weak candidate who has been utterly embarrassed dating back to the 2016 Presidential election. The guy has been made into a meme. There was a high voter turnout, the Dems spent an incredible amount on Beto's campaign and, although I disagree with him on a lot of his stances, a good candidate in Beto. And they still lost.
It can be argued that Trump saved Cruz. Without his high profile campaigning in Texas Beto may have pulled off a stunning upset.
Old 11-07-18, 08:05 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
I don’t pay much attention to politics these days, but from a cursory glance at the map of senatorial seats up for grabs last night, it looked like a very favorable GOP map. Usually means next time around will be flipped
Old 11-07-18, 08:11 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
If the GOP can snag these last 2 seats, they'd be at least somewhat insulated from the unfavorable 2020 map...depending of course on Trump's status when the time comes.
Old 11-07-18, 08:24 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
I don’t pay much attention to politics these days, but from a cursory glance at the map of senatorial seats up for grabs last night, it looked like a very favorable GOP map. Usually means next time around will be flipped
That's the current revisionist thinking to make the democrats feel better, but:

* Six months ago there was serious talk that the dems would take back the senate. This morning everyone on the MSM is conveniently forgetting that this was supposed to be a massive BLUE WAVE. Which it clearly wasn't.

* The negative Trump effect was supposed to destroy the republican party and propel the democrats to an historic landslide this election cycle. It did not. Trump can now consolidate his power within the GOP as several anti-Trump senators have been replaced by more Trump friendly folks. And the senate leadership now seems to be firmly in lock step with Trump.

* Sure the electoral map is more difficult for the GOP on paper in 2020. But like Trump was supposed to cancel out the republicans favorable map in 2018 I suspect that Trump will instead cancel out the democrats favorable map in 2020.
Old 11-07-18, 08:33 AM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
Beto ran an incredible campaign. Dems should look at what he did to try and succeed in red states going forward
He lost. Did you credit Romney with running an incredible campaign in 2012? Did you credit Clinton with running an incredible campaign in 2016?

In a statewide election, he lost. The far-left rhetoric works in a localized election, not so much statewide or nationally. The Dems need to learn the same lessons Republicans learned, their fringe candidates don't do well when they have to appeal to a non-homogeneous electorate.

Last edited by SWMCinci; 11-07-18 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-07-18, 09:28 AM
All Yappi

winbypin will become famous soon enough
Saw some talk this morning about Beto running against Trump in 2020. Cool. He couldn't beat Cruz who Trump beat up on. Might as well put Hillary on the ticket too.
Old 11-07-18, 10:12 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
So GOP will be at 54 or 55 seats instead of 51. Plus exchanged McCain, Flake and Corker types did stronger republicans. Win all around here. Even better than expected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-18, 10:14 AM
All Yappi

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
There are 1 or 2 GOP senators elected last night that I can see voting with Dems on some issues. That’s it though
Old 11-07-18, 10:15 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Saw some talk this morning about Beto running against Trump in 2020. Cool. He couldn't beat Cruz who Trump beat up on. Might as well put Hillary on the ticket too.
I think Beto might be okay for the VP on a ticket, but nothing else yet. If he’s smart, he won’t run in 2020
Old 11-07-18, 10:55 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
There are 1 or 2 GOP senators elected last night that I can see voting with Dems on some issues. That’s it though
Not. Gonna. Happen.
Old 11-07-18, 10:56 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I think Beto might be okay for the VP on a ticket, but nothing else yet. If he’s smart, he won’t run in 2020
Getting beaten by Cruz AND then Trump will mean he'd have a tough time getting elected dog-catcher afterward.
Old 11-07-18, 11:03 AM
Cooling Off

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it would be a bad idea for Beto to run for President prior to winning an election of significance. But the idea losing Texas as a Democrat somehow has any bearing on how he'd do as a general election candidate is pretty dumb.

The Dems don't need to win Texas to win the Presidency, they need to motivate their lazy voting base to get to the polls in swing states. Obama did(twice) Hillary didn't. It's a pretty simple formula for them.

I have no idea if Beto would be the guy who could accomplish that, but I'm not sure his ability to win a Texas senate seat is indicative of whether he could get minorities and young people off their a*s in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. Though as a Republican, I'd be much more worried about facing him than Warren, Biden, or Booker who seem to be the 3 front-runners currently.
Old 11-07-18, 11:06 AM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
That's the current revisionist thinking to make the democrats feel better, but:

* Six months ago there was serious talk that the dems would take back the senate. This morning everyone on the MSM is conveniently forgetting that this was supposed to be a massive BLUE WAVE. Which it clearly wasn't.

* The negative Trump effect was supposed to destroy the republican party and propel the democrats to an historic landslide this election cycle. It did not. Trump can now consolidate his power within the GOP as several anti-Trump senators have been replaced by more Trump friendly folks. And the senate leadership now seems to be firmly in lock step with Trump.

* Sure the electoral map is more difficult for the GOP on paper in 2020. But like Trump was supposed to cancel out the republicans favorable map in 2018 I suspect that Trump will instead cancel out the democrats favorable map in 2020.
Republicans can also thank the Kavanaugh hearing and the Caravans moving towards our border. I really don't think the Trump base was fired up and would not have voted if it weren't for what the Democrats did to Kavanaugh. I believe it was three Democrat Senators that voted against Kavanaugh who lost their incumbent seat last night.
Old 11-07-18, 11:08 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
I think it would be a bad idea for Beto to run for President prior to winning an election of significance. But the idea losing Texas as a Democrat somehow has any bearing on how he'd do as a general election candidate is pretty dumb.

The Dems don't need to win Texas to win the Presidency, they need to motivate their lazy voting base to get to the polls in swing states. Obama did(twice) Hillary didn't. It's a pretty simple formula for them.

I have no idea if Beto would be the guy who could accomplish that, but I'm not sure his ability to win a Texas senate seat is indicative of whether he could get minorities and young people off their a*s in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. Though as a Republican, I'd be much more worried about facing him than Warren, Biden, or Booker who seem to be the 3 front-runners currently.
Agreed 100%. I think it's a failure for the Dems/Beto that they didn't beat Cruz but I think he would do much better in a national election.
Old 11-07-18, 11:12 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMCinci View Post
Not. Gonna. Happen.
Romney is the one that came to mind, especially with his own personal distaste of Trump and his slight shift to the middle lately
Old 11-07-18, 11:18 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
Republicans can also thank the Kavanaugh hearing and the Caravans moving towards our border. I really don't think the Trump base was fired up and would not have voted if it weren't for what the Democrats did to Kavanaugh. I believe it was three Democrat Senators that voted against Kavanaugh who lost their incumbent seat last night.
Brown, Baldwin, Casey, and Stabenow — Running for re-election in a state Trump won in 2016, voted against Kavanaugh. Won re-election.

Heller — Republican running for re-election in a state Clinton won by 2 points, voted for Kavanaugh. Lost re-election.

Bredesen — Ran For Senate in a deep red state, said he would have voted for Kavanaugh. Lost by 10.

There’s as much evidence against a “Kavanaugh bump” as there is for it. One can’t really say either way
Old 11-07-18, 11:24 AM
All Yappi

Looks like Tester is gonna hold on
Old 11-07-18, 11:29 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Quote:
Brown, Baldwin, Casey, and Stabenow — Running for re-election in a state Trump won in 2016, voted against Kavanaugh. Won re-election.

Heller — Republican running for re-election in a state Clinton won by 2 points, voted for Kavanaugh. Lost re-election.

Bredesen — Ran For Senate in a deep red state, said he would have voted for Kavanaugh. Lost by 10.

There’s as much evidence against a “Kavanaugh bump” as there is for it. One can’t really say either way

Nice try at spin but that's pretty bad ..

All republicans except the Alaska looney voted for kavanaugh. There is no big bump for doing what is expected

Tennessee was going republican regardless.

Meanwhile all the dems with reelection aspirations in red states who voted against kavanaugh lost ..

That had a direct impact. Along with trump campaigning hard for those seats along with governor races in Florida and Ohio among others.

The media said trump referendum was what this was about If anything it showed a positive impact in places he targeted. Definitely overhyped the blue wave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-18, 12:00 PM
All American

Qcity is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
He got an incredible amount of money. I thought the left was against that.

I am exceedingly happy that the Steyer/Soros/Zuckerberg triumvirate pissed away tens of millions of dollars on a Texas race they could not win, even against a relatively polarizing figure. LOFL. Bricks for brains.
Old 11-07-18, 12:25 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Soros/Zuckerberg is the new boogeyman. Too daft to think for yourself? Blame Soros and Zuckerberg.
Old 11-07-18, 02:32 PM
All American

Blame them? What are you talking about? I am thanking them for pissing away tens of millions of dollars that they cannot use for future elections out of sheer arrogance and stupidity. They need to go fix their own disaster of a state before meddling with the others.
Old 11-07-18, 02:59 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
It'll be 7-10 days before I find out who my new senator in Arizona will be.
Old 11-07-18, 03:07 PM
Cooling Off

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Imagine actually being scared of a nerd like Mark Zuckerberg
Old 11-07-18, 03:22 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Imagine actually being scared of a nerd like Mark Zuckerberg
He has political aspirations himself.
Old 11-07-18, 04:34 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
It'll be 7-10 days before I find out who my new senator in Arizona will be.
Fixers need to fix
Old 11-08-18, 03:19 PM
All Yappi

Nelson still (barely) clinging to life
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/st...15070890086400
Old 11-08-18, 05:27 PM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hopefully they will all vote with the Dems. Perfect unity MAGA!
Old 11-08-18, 07:11 PM
All Yappi

Sinema back up in AZ by 0.11%
Old 11-08-18, 07:19 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Romney is the one that came to mind, especially with his own personal distaste of Trump and his slight shift to the middle lately
Not the worst take ever, TBH.
Old 11-08-18, 08:44 PM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sinema back up in AZ by 0.11%
I’m actually ok with that, she is a milf. Do you think she is a lesbian?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: