Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-02-18, 08:38 AM
All Region

runohio is on a distinguished road
OATCCC Track & Field Clinic

The Ohio Association of Track and Cross Country Coaches annual track and field clinic will be held at the Columbus' Hilton Easton from January 25-27. - The pre-registration deadline is January 10, 2018 to be eligible for banquet tickets. - http://www.oatccc.com/clinics/track-...ld-clinic.aspx

www.runohio.com
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-18, 06:46 PM
All Region

runohio is on a distinguished road
Schedule of speakers announced today -
https://wm.ee.net/?_task=mail&_actio...me=1&_extwin=1
Old 01-08-18, 07:32 PM
All World

SOTT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by runohio View Post
Schedule of speakers announced today -
https://wm.ee.net/?_task=mail&_actio...me=1&_extwin=1
The above link seems to be password protected: unless it’s just a mobile platform issue since I’m trying to access it from my iPhone.
Old 01-11-18, 02:03 PM
All Region

gatornation is on a distinguished road
Why is it that some of the big names, Khadevis Robinson and Jack Hazen, come Thursday night only and only speak once? It seems to happen yearly.
Old 01-11-18, 02:22 PM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
^^^^A lot of college meets are friday travel days. they cant be at the clinic.
Old 01-11-18, 10:14 PM
All Ohio

Run4Life is on a distinguished road
If I get topic changes in time, I will make them in the list above and BOLD, Italicize to let you know. You can look back accasionally for updates.

Bob
Old 01-12-18, 07:34 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Would love to see some relevant speakers come to the clinic.

It seems that we stick with the status quo every year.

The recycling of previous speakers gets very dull.

I'd love to see some people outside of Ohio speak- high school or college.

Michigan, Indiana, Illinois all have different ideas that spur debate and discussion among the Ohio coaches.
Old 01-12-18, 09:02 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatornation View Post
Why is it that some of the big names, Khadevis Robinson and Jack Hazen, come Thursday night only and only speak once? It seems to happen yearly.
With the way OSU's running programs get taken to task on here, I would think nobody wants to hear Robinson speak anyway.
Old 01-12-18, 10:19 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
With the way OSU's running programs get taken to task on here, I would think nobody wants to hear Robinson speak anyway.
2018 Top 800 Runner Indoors
800 Hayden, Peter FR-1 2:06.44

Great qualifications coming from OSU.
Old 01-13-18, 08:17 PM
All District

badger1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post

Michigan, Indiana, Illinois all have different ideas that spur debate and discussion among the Ohio coaches.
Every year there are evaluation forms for attendees to fill out and turn in. If you have suggestions for some new presenters, write them down. In lieu of that, shoot an email with the information to your district rep.

The OAT&CCC is committed to putting on the best clinic possible and speakers are not limited to those coaches from Ohio. Many of the “biggest names” each year have come from across the country. The planning and acquisition of presenters isn’t an easy task. Suggestions and contact info for future speakers would be appreciated.
Old 01-14-18, 03:24 PM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
With their connection to Ohio and recent incredible success at NXN, I think bringing in Marc and Joan Hunter along with Tom Schwartz could make for a very interesting set of sessions for distance coaches.

While I think it is a danger to assume that the most successful program must have the best ideas, many of the things I've read about their program seem to be based on newer concepts that may not be familiar to everyone. I think it could create some good discussions in between and after sessions.

I do not have contact info for them. However, Drew has been at Ted Rupe's Northeast Ohio Running Camp in the summer and I believe Ted and Marc ran together at CSU back in the day, so Ted probably has current contact info.
Old 01-14-18, 10:58 PM
All World

SOTT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
With their connection to Ohio and recent incredible success at NXN, I think bringing in Marc and Joan Hunter along with Tom Schwartz could make for a very interesting set of sessions for distance coaches.

While I think it is a danger to assume that the most successful program must have the best ideas, many of the things I've read about their program seem to be based on newer concepts that may not be familiar to everyone. I think it could create some good discussions in between and after sessions.

I do not have contact info for them. However, Drew has been at Ted Rupe's Northeast Ohio Running Camp in the summer and I believe Ted and Marc ran together at CSU back in the day, so Ted probably has current contact info.
Kerry Hunter is Marc's brother and the head cross country coach (boys and girls) at Brunswick High School. I am sure he would be a good one to reach out to in order to try and procure Marc and Joan for future clinics.
Old 01-15-18, 07:50 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I've been going to the Throws sessions for 4 years and have only had two repeat speakers. (The OSU coach and Kent Coach) Had plenty from small colleges and other HS programs from other states. Wanted to see Kent coach again as I learn something every year and he gave a completely different presentation from the one before. Have to go into it with an open mind and there will be something in there you can pull out of a speaker even if you've heard them before. That AAAH HAAAH moment when you get it.
Old 01-16-18, 08:35 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
I've been going to the Throws sessions for 4 years and have only had two repeat speakers. (The OSU coach and Kent Coach) Had plenty from small colleges and other HS programs from other states. Wanted to see Kent coach again as I learn something every year and he gave a completely different presentation from the one before. Have to go into it with an open mind and there will be something in there you can pull out of a speaker even if you've heard them before. That AAAH HAAAH moment when you get it.
Hmm, i'm curious now, what does Woodridge have in throwing this year? If I remember correctly, I think in prior years, Woody was weaker in the throws, compared with the other events. But i certainly wouldnt put it past Woody to seek to improve even there.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 01-16-18 at 11:15 PM..
Old 01-17-18, 09:24 AM
All World

Quote:
2018 Top 800 Runner Indoors
800 Hayden, Peter FR-1 2:06.44

Great qualifications coming from OSU.
Ouch!!
Old 01-17-18, 12:22 PM
All World

I guarantee that for most HS coaches that have had girls run sub 5:10, they have had more that don't break 6:00 and have more boys that don't break 5:00 than those that go sub 4:20. Not so sure times necessarily prove qualifications. I'm sure none of us want to be judged by our worst athlete. There are a lot more kids that do not qualify to state than those that do. I know I've learned things from coaches that know little to nothing compared to me. Sometimes they look at things in a different way that I have never thought of and I can use that.

Our School record holder in the pole vault went two years going off the wrong foot at take off. He finally got it as a Junior. I had a girl that was having the same problem and I told her she had to go off the proper take off leg or she couldn't do it anymore. I told her to tell herself she had to go off her left foot...over and over....The boy told her to maybe try telling herself. Don't go off your right foot!!! That's what finally worked for him. Are you kidding me? So, now, I tell them both. Never know how someone's mind works.
Old 01-28-18, 10:43 AM
All Ohio

I had other things that were higher priority this year and didn't go to the conference, so I am interested in knowing who the best presenters were and the best nugget you took away from the conference if you went.

Spill the beans...
Old 01-28-18, 02:47 PM
All World

^^^^run like a kangaroo
Old 01-29-18, 12:56 PM
All Ohio

K. Robinson was pretty good from OSU middle distance.

He seems like a no-nonsense type of guy that will get it done.

Dale Gabor the OHSAA representative was out of touch with reality. This guy is a moron and needs to be kicked out of this organization. He seems to have dementia or another another mental illness.

(1) He raved about the middle school meet being a success with seeding. At the same time said it could not be done at the high school level.
(2) He raved how the middle school meet could handle 24 vaulters because of ties, but at the same time said it could not be done at the high school level.
(3) He said that running events passed this year for the +2 but said asking for field events was asking too much.
(4) He did not answer the question from the "Coach" that seemed out of his mind, but was in reality saying what everyone was thinking.
(5) He did not answer the questions about paying for coaches into the state meet just to attend to watch their athletes.
(6) He said that 'different trim' was allowed in jerseys. But at the same time said that piping on the shorts had to be the same.

Every year he gets flustered by questions that are simple to answer. He should not be in a position of authority or a position to deal with the public.

One coach asked if we were ever going to talk about the kids and the actual sport instead all of this 'rule interpretation." I thought that was a good comment.
And then he ended his speech with an example of a disqualification that should not happened last year. And then he said that the goal of OHSAA was to be lenient to what was best for the kids.

I have never heard an organization talk through their arse more than OHSAA.

This guy and the other 70+ year old officials that support OHSAA are out of touch with the sport, reality, kids, coaches and the sport. I felt like I was being talked down to the entire time. Like my great grand-pappy was scolding me smiling. This guy is a loser and needs to leave office or be pushed out.

**on a side note** no one cares enough to get rid of this guy. It is only track as any AD would say.
Old 01-29-18, 03:55 PM
All Ohio

I won't dispute any of your claims regarding Gabor, but I believe the reason there are so many 70+ year old officials is that there aren't enough of 50- year olds willing to do it.
Old 01-29-18, 09:07 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
I won't dispute any of your claims regarding Gabor, but I believe the reason there are so many 70+ year old officials is that there aren't enough of 50- year olds willing to do it.
Agreed. There aren't many "younger" folks out there that have a work schedule and a home life that enables them to be available to work weekday meets that generally start no later than 5pm or Saturday meets where they might have to report for duty as early as 8am (or even earlier in some cases) and be there until 4 or 5pm. The folks with that kind of a work schedule are generally teachers, and many of those who are willing and able to spend that much time at the track are doing it as coaches.

Like it or not, we have to take what we can get from the officiating pool.
Old 01-29-18, 11:09 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Ive liked the officials weve gotten in the PTC. Assuming the meet starts at 4-4:30 on a weekday evening with the field events, the officials can usually get a meet done between 6:30-7:00 PM. And that is with us running a lot of tri meets. And in one case, a quad meet. Quick, down to business, and efficient. That is how you bring back the dual meet.
Old 01-30-18, 09:49 AM
Varsity

ENA2 is on a distinguished road
Contrary to some,
I apprieciated Dale Gabor being at all 3 rules interpretation meetings and facing the fire that was sure to come from misguided coaches. He has to mediate between the National Federation, the OHSAA, the OATCCC, and the Advisery Board of Control.... along with parents, coaches, AD's and Principals.
His communication may be subpar, but he is a supporter of Track and Field.
What he has been responsible for and has supported....without his support these things would not have happened.
1. - improving the uniform rules to where "under garments" above the knee does not matter.
2. - using lane 9 at Jesse Ownes for the finals
3. - advancing to the finals by time and place for all events
4. - Having 2 "at large" quaifiers to the State Meet in running events. and IS pushing for the same in field events.
5. - getting rid of the "jewelry" rule
.... and other positive advancement for both Track & Field and cross country.

the National Federation, the OHSAA, Officials and District boards should be on the same page and often are not. We are lucky to have Mr. Gabor on our side to try to get them there. I know I could not do any better. If anyone can, I nominate YOU to do it.
Old 01-30-18, 09:56 AM
Varsity

BTW
The Clinic was also improved IMO as Tony Veney was sharp (as usual) alng with Wineberg, Dwight Phillips and all others that I attended. The HOF banquet and the Saturday morning sessions were very good as well. Still, I get just as much from talking to various high school coaches about what they do after one of the speakers stimulates ideas and questions to ask. I love "picking the brains" of ohter coaches who have been in the trenches.
Old 01-30-18, 10:13 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENA2 View Post
Contrary to some,
I apprieciated Dale Gabor being at all 3 rules interpretation meetings and facing the fire that was sure to come from misguided coaches. He has to mediate between the National Federation, the OHSAA, the OATCCC, and the Advisery Board of Control.... along with parents, coaches, AD's and Principals.
What he has been responsible for and has supported....without his support these things would not have happened.
1. - improving the uniform rules to where "under garments" above the knee does not matter.
4. - Having 2 "at large" quaifiers to the State Meet in running events. and IS pushing for the same in field events.

the National Federation, the OHSAA, Officials and District boards should be on the same page and often are not. We are lucky to have Mr. Gabor on our side to try to get them there. I know I could not do any better. If anyone can, I nominate YOU to do it.
But in the same breathe he sends an email to districts that the 4x8 should be events 4 and 5 and that this schedule "mirrors" what they see at regionals and state.

I have said for years that the OHSAA is about a decade behind technology and trends in the sport. THeir rules that limit participation and their inability to run meets that make $ is ridiculous ($ is the driving force for all their decisions.).
Old 01-30-18, 11:19 AM
Varsity

Red face

Agree,
I have been fighting the order of events at the District Meet since we went away from prelims. Some districts were still doing prelims and the confusion, I think, was due to this. Again, the problem is that all of these organizations (District Boards - 6 of them, the OATCCC, OHSAA, NFHS, Rules Advisiory Board, and Board of Control) all need to work together for the good of the sport and the student/athletes. And I don't doubt that making money is a priority, and all are happy that The State Meet makes a profit.
I just think that sport is doing much better since Mr. Gabor has been in charge of Track and Field. He does, however, get his paycheck from the OHSAA and works for them just like maost of us are at the mercy of the ODE and our local school when it comes to testing, curriculum, budgets (both teaching and coaching) and yearly schedulling.... and about 100 ohter things.

Note... this should probably be on anohter thread and I did not mean to inturupt discussion about a mostly positive clinic. I just did not want to start a new thread.
Old 01-30-18, 12:36 PM
All Ohio

I would say you are contrary to many. He is an overpaid and sub-par secretary.

Do you realize that #1, #3 and #5 are all National Federation Rules and he just passes them down to us. A secretary can do that.

#2 and #4 are the same thing. As for filling the lanes on the track. Any non-track person could tell you to put a person in a lane. Fill it up. My 4 year old son asked at the state meet-why isn't someone in lane 9 in the 800? And why is there only 1 person in lane 4? Why not fill lane 4 in the events where someone doesn't declare? Ahh that takes a brain and forethought, organization, and ideas Mrs. Scarecrow.

He is NOT doing what a 4 year old can do in my opinion. Basic questions that parents, family members ask of about WHY in track are not being answered.

Oh he raved about how he can send emails back for medical devices and religious head-wear. Again, why can't a secretary do that?

What about the National Rule where Numbers are mandated on the back of jerseys? I seem to not find that anywhere in the national rule book. But for some reason Ohio is the only state that mandates that dumb 3 digit number that costs an extra $3-4 per uniform. Again where is the forethought? Where is the proactive approach versus the reactive approach?

Let's make track simple and easy for athletes, coaches, family members and spectators. Right now OHSAA is not doing that.

They are only after the $$$$$$ sign in front of them. In reality they would make a lot more $$$$ if they had some forethought and ideas outside of the box.

Let's listen to coaches instead of yelling at them and shutting them up when they ask questions about why are we doing this. Why? That is the basic educational question that should be enforced by the ODE and OHSSA but for some reason if you ask an OHSAA official why you are shunned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENA2 View Post
Contrary to some,

Old 01-30-18, 02:39 PM
Varsity

I guess I have just had different experences with most officials, as I have had the same questions. they have just been answered... not that I agree with the answers. Calling someone a "Moron" or not understanding or agreeing with an explanation probably will not help the student/athletes, officials or anyone else very much.

I will start another thread with the answers that I have heard as this thread is for Positive Thoughts about the Clinic.....Which was good.... I thought the speakers were solid and the set-up was better with some concentration on middle school and beginning coaches.
Old 01-31-18, 04:23 PM
All World

I have had some pretty poor experiences with Mr. Gabor, but to call him a Moron is out of line and just classless. The OHSAA has done some very good things here the past few years for CC and Track&Field. Some of the ideas I have seen on here are idiotic in my opinion, but some people agree they are good, so there are no absolute rights and wrongs.

As far as 70 + year old officials go, If coaches do their jobs and teach their athletes correctly, the sport is easy and barely needs officiating. I have had as many problems with young officials as I have old ones. Those same old officials are doing major college meets. They are who we have and no one is getting rich off high school CC and T&F. I have been around the sport my entire life and those old farts eventually pass away and that sucks. Even the ornery ones are missed.
Old 02-05-18, 10:51 AM
All District

badger1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would say you are contrary to many. He is an overpaid and sub-par secretary.

Do you realize that #1, #3 and #5 are all National Federation Rules and he just passes them down to us. A secretary can do that.

#2 and #4 are the same thing. As for filling the lanes on the track. Any non-track person could tell you to put a person in a lane. Fill it up. My 4 year old son asked at the state meet-why isn't someone in lane 9 in the 800? And why is there only 1 person in lane 4? Why not fill lane 4 in the events where someone doesn't declare? Ahh that takes a brain and forethought, organization, and ideas Mrs. Scarecrow.

He is NOT doing what a 4 year old can do in my opinion. Basic questions that parents, family members ask of about WHY in track are not being answered.

Oh he raved about how he can send emails back for medical devices and religious head-wear. Again, why can't a secretary do that?

What about the National Rule where Numbers are mandated on the back of jerseys? I seem to not find that anywhere in the national rule book. But for some reason Ohio is the only state that mandates that dumb 3 digit number that costs an extra $3-4 per uniform. Again where is the forethought? Where is the proactive approach versus the reactive approach?

Let's make track simple and easy for athletes, coaches, family members and spectators. Right now OHSAA is not doing that.

They are only after the $$$$$$ sign in front of them. In reality they would make a lot more $$$$ if they had some forethought and ideas outside of the box.

Let's listen to coaches instead of yelling at them and shutting them up when they ask questions about why are we doing this. Why? That is the basic educational question that should be enforced by the ODE and OHSSA but for some reason if you ask an OHSAA official why you are shunned.
Wow. Just wow. In case it hasn't been made clear, the rules interpretation meetings (led by Mr. Gabor or others at various places around the state) are not an open forum and not the place to bring up concerns about individual rules.

As ENA has pointed out, there are several organizations that are involved with administering our sports at various levels and nothing is as simple as making and acting on a decision without much research and delving into the effect on all involved. I suggest that rather than bashing anyone on a forum, EuclidandViren, you step up and become involved with one of those organizations to bring about change.