Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-11-18, 02:49 PM
Junior Varsity

Grinder79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Video Use in High School Wrestling

Recently, we asked a few hundred teams to tell us about their use of match video. Summary results are here.

We'd love to hear from more Ohio teams. Please tell us about your team's use of match video by clicking here.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-18, 12:32 AM
Junior Varsity

Here's what we've found so far:

https://www.levelchanger.com/blog/20...0/video-survey
Old 06-04-18, 07:03 PM
Junior Varsity

More on video recording and playback of wrestling matches.

https://www.levelchanger.com/blog/2018/6/3/record-video
Old 06-04-18, 07:46 PM
All World

cruiser_96 is on a distinguished road
Personally, I’ve found the best use to be recording opponents and using the footage for scouting purposes.

But your list is just as impressive. #DigtIt

Lastly, I record with camera and then upload to YouTube. Allows kids to watch AND send link to family and friends who missed.
Old 06-04-18, 08:00 PM
Junior Varsity

Good idea, uploading to Youtube and sharing from there.

Do you create a separate video for each bout and use playlists or...something else? Love to see how you organize your video.
Old 06-04-18, 08:42 PM
Varsity

pburg is on a distinguished road
When i was in high school 86-88, we had mandatory film watching 3 days a week during lunches. It was used to scout top talent to be faced that year. It was extremely useful. I have always thought that this is a missing tool at most programs today.
Old 06-04-18, 10:22 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Most schools now have numerous lunch periods and I can't imagine what the narrative would be if you made it mandatory for kids to attend during their lunch break. You know dang well that it'd turn into that the coaches weren't allowing them to eat.
Old 06-05-18, 05:28 AM
All District

SCORE2WIN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
Most schools now have numerous lunch periods and I can't imagine what the narrative would be if you made it mandatory for kids to attend during their lunch break. You know dang well that it'd turn into that the coaches weren't allowing them to eat.
EAT? who does that during wrestling season? How long does it take to eat a cracker and 1/4 bottle of water
Old 06-05-18, 07:25 AM
All World

Grinder: separate file for each match. When uploading, I usually label by weight class and then which match. Ex.: 113.1, 113.2, 113.3. Simple, effective, and not overly time consuming.

Kids get the text that videos have been uploaded and they are free to watch.

Basic outline for film watching...
Neutral
Offense
Did you attack?
No - why not
Yes - did you use a set-up
Set-up
No - that’s unfortunate
Yes - which one; did you score

Defense
Did your opponent attack
No
Yes

What was your response?

What breakdown did you attempt?
Is there evidence of an attempted turn?
Which turn?

Bottom
What did you do when the whistle was blown?

Blah, blah, blah...

My biggest thing is that now the kids see what the coaches see. (My favorite piece is from neutral - set-ups. Diving at the legs is not a set-up. Nor is it an effective attack.)
Old 06-05-18, 07:57 AM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_96 View Post

My biggest thing is that now the kids see what the coaches see. (My favorite piece is from neutral - set-ups. Diving at the legs is not a set-up. Nor is it an effective attack.)
Wait, you mean to tell me that diving into the bottom position of a front headlock is NOT a setup?

Crap, I have to get my son to work on another setup before HS next year.
Old 06-05-18, 05:28 PM
All Region

scbuckeye99 is on a distinguished road
The South Carolina High School League does not allow 3rd party videoing. So if I go to a dual of two of our upcoming opponents I can not film. Now if one of my parents went and filmed that's a different story. Although if recognized by the two opposing coaches they might be able to contact the league office and get us in hot water (happened this past year. Volunteer dad went to do such a thing without telling us. Both opposing coaches recognized him, called league office, he got a 100 dollar fine and our AD had to sit there and watch him delete the video from his iPAD).

We had a mother 2 years ago who would video pretty much every match for the intent of uploading those matches to youtube so relatives and parents who could not attend duals and tournaments could watch their kid compete. WELLLL we quickly found out that it was a great way for opposing coaches to scout us. Didn't help them much as we beat those teams anyways but they would always come up to us pre-match and say "thanks for the scouting report". After we beat em we'd say "you're welcome"

We don't do video anymore (the kid of the mom who use to video for us graduated and no one stepped up to replace her) and while it kinda stinks its been kinda nice too.
Old 06-05-18, 07:54 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
Wait, you mean to tell me that diving into the bottom position of a front headlock is NOT a setup?

Crap, I have to get my son to work on another setup before HS next year.
I can only wish you the best in your pursuits, jmog.
Old 06-06-18, 07:24 AM
All Ohio

keithcarter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbuckeye99 View Post
The South Carolina High School League does not allow 3rd party videoing. So if I go to a dual of two of our upcoming opponents I can not film. Now if one of my parents went and filmed that's a different story. Although if recognized by the two opposing coaches they might be able to contact the league office and get us in hot water (happened this past year. Volunteer dad went to do such a thing without telling us. Both opposing coaches recognized him, called league office, he got a 100 dollar fine and our AD had to sit there and watch him delete the video from his iPAD).

We had a mother 2 years ago who would video pretty much every match for the intent of uploading those matches to youtube so relatives and parents who could not attend duals and tournaments could watch their kid compete. WELLLL we quickly found out that it was a great way for opposing coaches to scout us. Didn't help them much as we beat those teams anyways but they would always come up to us pre-match and say "thanks for the scouting report". After we beat em we'd say "you're welcome"

We don't do video anymore (the kid of the mom who use to video for us graduated and no one stepped up to replace her) and while it kinda stinks its been kinda nice too.

Just an idea you can now password lock all youtube videos and send the passcode out to only those that you want to have it. My wife owns a dance studio and we did this so that only those who we want to see the videos can. We did it mainly for creepers and weirdos but i guess it stops people from stealing choreography
Old 06-15-18, 05:41 PM
Junior Varsity

Recording match video and score the match simultaneously

For you wrestling videophiles, we're adding video recording, playback and cloud sharing to Takedown. More information here:

Questions, answers about Takedown integrated video recording and playback.
Old 06-15-18, 06:55 PM
All Ohio

cosh wrestling dad is on a distinguished road
If someone's videotaping a kid it just means he's that good!! Enjoy it and wave at the camera