Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-06-18, 11:40 AM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Todd Fraizer Hidden ball trick.

What do folks think about this:
1) Fun player having fun
2) Disgrace to the game

What is different here is the trick was to fool an umpire. Hidden ball tricks are fooling a player which is different than trying to trick an ump.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-18, 12:42 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
What do folks think about this:
1) Fun player having fun
2) Disgrace to the game

What is different here is the trick was to fool an umpire. Hidden ball tricks are fooling a player which is different than trying to trick an ump.
Didn't see it.

I see teams attempt it, saw it twice this summer both in balk scenarios.
Old 09-06-18, 03:45 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Didn't see it.

I see teams attempt it, saw it twice this summer both in balk scenarios.
This is rather funny. Todd went for a foul ball reaching into the stands, but did not catch it. But, he did see a smaller rubber ball (autograph ball?) just laying in the stands. He picks that up, shows the umps then quickly tosses the ball back in the stands. The real baseball some guy is holding.
http://digg.com/video/todd-frazier-foul-ball-catch

While comical, you dont see many times in baseball to just flat out lie to the ump. But you could argue its the same as a flop in basketball, diving in soccer, or exaggerating PI in football (framing a pitch??). I wonder if Todd is going to get a lot of called thirds the new few weeks :-)
Old 09-07-18, 08:59 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
The guy cheated......

Way to set the example
Old 09-07-18, 09:09 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
This is rather funny. Todd went for a foul ball reaching into the stands, but did not catch it. But, he did see a smaller rubber ball (autograph ball?) just laying in the stands. He picks that up, shows the umps then quickly tosses the ball back in the stands. The real baseball some guy is holding.
http://digg.com/video/todd-frazier-foul-ball-catch

While comical, you dont see many times in baseball to just flat out lie to the ump. But you could argue its the same as a flop in basketball, diving in soccer, or exaggerating PI in football (framing a pitch??). I wonder if Todd is going to get a lot of called thirds the new few weeks :-)
Yeah, not a fan of this. If it was just a real quick try as a joke then OK.

I remember on a blooper video 30 plus years ago a CF made a great catch to rob a HR. He ran into the INF with everyone celebrating and the umpire kept insisting to see the ball............and then realized he didn't have it and was ruled a HR!
Old 09-13-18, 02:31 PM
All American

OCEagle is on a distinguished road
If you ever went through the history of some of the things that were done in baseball before replay was available - you would be shocked at the amount of "cheating" going on. I have no problem with this play. But I do blame the ump for making the out call. These little things make for great baseball lore - and leaves a lot of baseball tales to be told. Since the ump did not see the catch or know if he scooped it off the floor of the stands (or in this case, the unlikely happenstance of another ball being right there) he should not have signaled the out. What about a trapped catch? Is the player supposed to tell the ump - sorry, I actually caught it off the ground but I held it up as if I caught it clean - so you should change your call and award the batter a hit. I suppose it could happen some day. Replays can't catch everything and players seek to deceive the umpires every chance they can. Umps should use as much discretion as possible in making the call. They won't always be right - and they can count on the fact players will be trying to fool them.
Old 09-14-18, 10:24 AM
All Yappi

I don't have a problem with a player holding his glove up as to say he caught it even when he knowingly didn't.

There is a fine line between cheating and gamesmanship.
Old 09-14-18, 11:35 PM
All Ohio

Integrity means something. Even though I found it amusing, I would want an example to be set.
Old 09-17-18, 02:59 PM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
I don't have a problem with a player holding his glove up as to say he caught it even when he knowingly didn't.

There is a fine line between cheating and gamesmanship.
Agree.

One time I was playing center field and a ball went sailing over the center field fence. I threw my arms up, and the umpire gave the kid a ground rule double. I'm such a bad person.