Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-17-18, 08:04 AM
Junior Varsity

sportjunkie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Raider2009 View Post
Here is the top 20 division I schools, excluding the private schools. Do any of these schools have open enrollment?

2. Brecksville-Broad. Hts.
3. Wadsworth
5. Elyria
6. Cin. Elder
7. Massillon Perry
8. Powell Olen. Liberty
9. Marysville
10. Fairfield
Mason
13. Hilliard Darby
14. N. Canton Hoover
15. Massillon Jackson
16. Gr. City Central Crossing
17. Austintown-Fitch
18. Harrison
Medina
20. Lancaster
Elder is private
Old 05-17-18, 08:21 AM
All District

tantal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Here is the top 20 division I schools, excluding the private schools. Do any of these schools have open enrollment?

3. Wadsworth
5. Elyria
6. Cin. Elder
7. Massillon Perry
8. Powell Olen. Liberty
9. Marysville
10. Fairfield
Mason
13. Hilliard Darby
14. N. Canton Hoover
15. Massillon Jackson
17. Austintown-Fitch
18. Harrison
Medina
20. Lancaster
Perry, Fitch, Lancaster, and Elyria.
Old 05-17-18, 08:22 AM
Junior Varsity

TheRealWjjsj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportjunkie View Post
Elder is private
Did you miss the word EXCLUDING in their sentence? You wouldn't cut it as a man of Moeller or any parochial for that matter.

Old 05-17-18, 09:22 AM
Varsity

WGTJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWjjsj View Post
Did you miss the word EXCLUDING in their sentence? You wouldn't cut it as a man of Moeller or any parochial for that matter.

He said he was excluding them from his list. Do you see Eds in it?

indeed
Old 05-17-18, 09:34 AM
All District

pugluv is on a distinguished road
Olentangy Liberty does NOT have open enrollment
Old 05-17-18, 09:49 AM
All District

ozzie8383 is on a distinguished road
Hilliard Darby is not open enrollment. Also, there is no inner-district transfers allowed either.
Old 05-17-18, 10:06 AM
All Ohio

wrestlfan is on a distinguished road
have to admire eds. Start there or they dont accept you. They truely develop their guys. Now, I get it that they bring in great kids to start, but they also develop their own and not rely on cherry picking to fill em up
Old 05-17-18, 11:05 AM
All Region

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Division II top 10. I think the majority of these schools have open enrollment but not 100% sure.

St. Paris Graham Local 231.0
2. Canfield 77.0
4. Steubenville 65.0
6. Wauseon 58.5
7. Circleville 49.5
8. Uhrichsville Claymont 49.0
9. Carrollton
St. Paris is a private Catholic school.
Old 05-17-18, 11:15 AM
All District

Smoke Screen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
St. Paris is a private Catholic school.
Everybody knows that
Old 05-17-18, 12:57 PM
Junior Varsity

getridofspam1 is on a distinguished road
So time to fix the age issue right now as well. Might as well get it all right! Lets put that in affect for next year as well.
Old 05-17-18, 01:50 PM
Junior Varsity

spladle89 is on a distinguished road
Marysville is open enrollment due to their STEM building using state money
Old 05-17-18, 02:02 PM
All Region

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by getridofspam1 View Post
So time to fix the age issue right now as well. Might as well get it all right! Lets put that in affect for next year as well.
That would be great! The tears of psycho dad’s holding their kids back two years could stem the flow of Hawaiian lava.
Old 05-17-18, 02:42 PM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Here is the top 20 division I schools, excluding the private schools. Do any of these schools have open enrollment? I removed Elder- I forgot they were a private school.

3. Wadsworth
5. Elyria - open enrollment
7. Massillon Perry - open enrollment
8. Powell Olen. Liberty - inner district?
9. Marysville - open enrollment
10. Fairfield
Mason
13. Hilliard Darby - closed enrollment
14. N. Canton Hoover
15. Massillon Jackson
17. Austintown-Fitch - open enrollment
18. Harrison
Medina
20. Lancaster - open enrollment
Fairfield is open enrollment
Old 05-17-18, 03:10 PM
All Ohio

Groundhog is on a distinguished road
The rule that's being replaced only been in place a few years (4?). Seems like the new rule is effectively going back to where we were prior to that, where you had to sit out 1 year. Having to sit out the second half of the season and the post season doesn't make any sense to me, might as well go back to sitting out a full season.
Old 05-17-18, 03:57 PM
All Ohio

miketyson is on a distinguished road
Thats great so someone

Is gonna transfer go undefeated beat everyone and he cant wrestle at states. It really is a shame and the abusers of the rules will still find a loophole.
Old 05-17-18, 04:02 PM
All American

Dionysus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
Is gonna transfer go undefeated beat everyone and he cant wrestle at states. It really is a shame and the abusers of the rules will still find a loophole.
There are several exceptions where you can transfer without having to sit out at all. The most common one being moving from one school district to another.

This was voted on 450-224 by member schools. Not a close vote. The OHSAA goal is to limit the number of transfers. The reason being is they feel "a high number of transfers is not good for education-based athletics".

Dan Ross, “Much of the feedback we have received from the membership indicates that the current consequence – sitting out the first half of the regular-season – is not a significant deterrent,” Dan Ross, OHSAA Executive Director, said. “If a student knows that the end of the regular-season and the tournament will still be available, they are more likely to transfer. We don’t believe that a high number of transfers is good for education-based athletics.”
Old 05-17-18, 07:45 PM
All District

stall it out is on a distinguished road
It won't hurt Legacy Christian... they keep plugging away to recruit all that they can. Right up until they get turned in.
Old 05-18-18, 02:15 AM
All American

simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Division II top 10. I think the majority of these schools have open enrollment but not 100% sure.
St. Paris Graham Local 231.0
2. Canfield 77.0
4. Steubenville 65.0
6. Wauseon 58.5
7. Circleville 49.5
8. Uhrichsville Claymont 49.0
9. Carrollton
Canfield is not open enrollment.
Old 05-18-18, 06:15 AM
All District

LowCrotch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlfan View Post
have to admire eds. Start there or they dont accept you. They truely develop their guys. Now, I get it that they bring in great kids to start, but they also develop their own and not rely on cherry picking to fill em up

Yes, recruiting them in 7th and 8th grade is much more ethical. Then again, if they are old enough to drive I suppose they are old enough to decide.

I kid, I kid.
Old 05-18-18, 08:36 AM
All American

Coach McCoy is on a distinguished road
I believe Harrison is open enrollment but I am not positive.
Old 05-18-18, 11:26 AM
All District

bulldowg_Wrestling19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Issue View Post
I have watched this sport grow into its own monster over the last 50 years. I can attest to the growing persistence of recruiting. However, I cannot see a simple rule like this having any bearing on the finality of a families decision that aims to be a part of greatness. As stated, most will simply make their decision earlier. Those that decide to move after their freshman year will simply move. Many will roll their eyes, but wrestling with one of the elite programs in the state of Ohio can yield a huge savings in the cost of higher education, not to mention the shear exposure that it brings the athletes. College expenses have sky rocketed in the last 40 years. The parents that view the sport as a priority in the family will seek the best rooms, coaches, and schedules. It will not change. One could argue that a student can get a good education at a number of schools in any given area. The same cannot be said about a wrestling 'education' however. The best all seem to find themselves wrestling in one room. Who are we to judge families looking to "better" their own situation by relocating to a better wrestling school if the education is the same. After high school ends these young men are off to college. The "community" you are speaking about isn't going to take care of them. It really becomes a dog eat dog world. So, I am of the opinion that families should do whats best for them. Relocating for a better situation is a wise decision. The incoming freshman class should choose wisely. Education is important but with all things being equal, their is little reason to go it alone. Seek the best room you can. If you look at the leaders of Ohio {Saint Edwards}, it's not hard to see that iron sharpens iron. The best continue to be drawn to that room because they know that the staff, the schedule, and the practice partners will help them reach the top of the podium. I don't see this rule being a deterrent, It shouldn't be. Families that want the best have always traveled, nothing should change with this rule.

If parents put half the effort you're talking about into educating their kids, getting them tutoring them for their ACT/SAT, pushing them to take AP courses, using the College Credit program the state has, their kids would have a much better chance at scholarships than the 9.9 that are available for wrestlers.

If it were just about saving money so their kids didn't have to go into debt, transferring schools because of a wrestling program would not be their motive, getting their kids prepared for college in the best manner possible would be.
Old 05-18-18, 12:23 PM
Varsity

WGTJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldowg_Wrestling19 View Post
If parents put half the effort you're talking about into educating their kids, getting them tutoring them for their ACT/SAT, pushing them to take AP courses, using the College Credit program the state has, their kids would have a much better chance at scholarships than the 9.9 that are available for wrestlers.

If it were just about saving money so their kids didn't have to go into debt, transferring schools because of a wrestling program would not be their motive, getting their kids prepared for college in the best manner possible would be.
Rack it!
Old 05-18-18, 01:24 PM
All District

LowCrotch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldowg_Wrestling19 View Post

Most of the parents I know in this situation are doing both.
Old 05-18-18, 03:38 PM
All Ohio

roughedge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCrotch View Post
Most of the parents I know in this situation are doing both.
Rack it