Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-30-17, 07:45 AM
All Region

M86 is on a distinguished road
2017 Middies and Xavier Peters

I've been on here a long time and I've never not seen a thread this close to summer about the Middies upcoming season. Guess last year blew it for everyone with the worst record in school history. Sad. Hope we as fans don't give up on them.

I was talking to my brother who is a 2006 football alumni. He brought up a good point about Xavier Peters, former Middie, who is now at West getting offers from Bama, USC, Michigan, Clemson and so on. He said this was typical of Middletown to lose great players to other schools. Middletown had him a wideout in the Wing T offense and he never saw a ball. Goes to West and Cox puts him at LB and he is a five star recruit. Kind of like Sorrell when he was here, great offensive lineman but had him at TE in the triple option. Wasted talent. Why here can't we have coaches adjust to what he's got as opposed to having great players out of position to adjust to their system?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-17, 07:08 AM
Varsity

New to Dayton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by M86 View Post
I've been on here a long time and I've never not seen a thread this close to summer about the Middies upcoming season. Guess last year blew it for everyone with the worst record in school history. Sad. Hope we as fans don't give up on them.

I was talking to my brother who is a 2006 football alumni. He brought up a good point about Xavier Peters, former Middie, who is now at West getting offers from Bama, USC, Michigan, Clemson and so on. He said this was typical of Middletown to lose great players to other schools. Middletown had him a wideout in the Wing T offense and he never saw a ball. Goes to West and Cox puts him at LB and he is a five star recruit. Kind of like Sorrell when he was here, great offensive lineman but had him at TE in the triple option. Wasted talent. Why here can't we have coaches adjust to what he's got as opposed to having great players out of position to adjust to their system?

Was Peters that good here at anything? I am not talking freshmen or JV stuff...I am talking under the lights? People talk about how great he was but what kind of PERSON was he. The kind that was here early, stayed late? On time? Now I have no clue but sometimes you got to look at the kid and not the system. The coaches put the best players they can out there, maybe he didnt know his plays or where to line up? Who knows...but I agree, I hope people do not give up on the Middies, they are working hard I am sure!
Old 05-01-17, 08:24 AM
All District

2020Dad is on a distinguished road
Peters is an athlete, any dummy should be able to figure that out and use him where he could make a difference. Dont give Cox too much credit, he had him at WR orignally and it took him all summer practice and 3 or 4 games to finally figure out that he couldnt catch. In this day and age of open enrollment if you dont put together a coaching staff that is productive the kids with talent will leave and go elsewhere.
Old 05-01-17, 10:03 AM
All Yappi

FBGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Do you think it is possible that he just wanted to get out of Middletown?

LW had him at wide receiver and then moved him to linebacker after he grew. He wasn't nearly as big while at Middletown so it makes sense as to why he was not a linebacker there.
Old 05-01-17, 11:36 AM
All Region

Comet Dad is on a distinguished road
First, I wouldn't be too hard on Middletown for letting him get away. Xavier hasn't changed his stripes, just his location. I know a number of parents and teachers at LW high school. The off field issues he had at Middletown, he still has at West. West just has different resources to deal with them. Second, colleges recruit mainly on potential and little on high school production. Peters has the long body and athleticism colleges love. At 6'4" they see him fitting into a variety of positions. He definitely was not among the elite LB's in the SW Ohio area. For as much as time as the West defense spent on the field last year, Peters never emerged as a dominant presence against good teams. He may have 40+ tackles when he should have been in the 90-100 range. He'll probably go to a big program based on his potential. Whether he has the heart and work ethic to be more than a sideline ornament is what he's always struggled with.
Old 05-01-17, 04:27 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet Dad View Post
First, I wouldn't be too hard on Middletown for letting him get away. Xavier hasn't changed his stripes, just his location. I know a number of parents and teachers at LW high school. The off field issues he had at Middletown, he still has at West. West just has different resources to deal with them. Second, colleges recruit mainly on potential and little on high school production. Peters has the long body and athleticism colleges love. At 6'4" they see him fitting into a variety of positions. He definitely was not among the elite LB's in the SW Ohio area. For as much as time as the West defense spent on the field last year, Peters never emerged as a dominant presence against good teams. He may have 40+ tackles when he should have been in the 90-100 range. He'll probably go to a big program based on his potential. Whether he has the heart and work ethic to be more than a sideline ornament is what he's always struggled with.

Helpful Hint of the Day:

For the Real Truth on what's going on, always turn first to a Mason parent. Always.

I'm kidding. Don't do that.
Old 05-04-17, 07:26 PM
GO MIDDIES

Middie 85 Alum is on a distinguished road
86 you are right about the interest. I hope they improve from last year which should be easier considering last season they didn't win a game. I think the expectations of even of having a 500 season is very dim. It seems we may have to look for overall improvements vs wins. I sure hope I am wrong.
Old 05-05-17, 02:35 PM
All Ohio

markc is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I am not giving up on them. Just really hard to watch last year. I thought the talent in the classes of 2015 and 2016 was exceptional (just not well coached) and the fact they sent maybe 15 kids out of those classes to play college ball proves me right. But I watched last years team and just thought wow. They played really hard and they gave effort but the talent is just not there. I didnt see anything that would make me think they would compete this year either. I hope I am dead wrong. I love my Middies but I feel bad for Coach Englekay. The cupboard is just bear right now. Another factor is the GMC is so darn tough this year. Potentially four playoff teams in Ciolerain, Fairfield, Mason and East.

As far as Peters goes, I have to agree there were a lot of Middies out of position the last few years. I just hope we finally gave up on the Blake Marshall is a QB experiement.