Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-29-17, 11:04 AM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Friday View Post
IMO that fact he's the #2 all time scorer in Ohio High School history should make him top 10 if this is based exclusively on high school only. But that's when people say 'he didn't play anybody' and only big school kids are going to be considered. It's a debate there's no right or wrong answer. YakYak was replying to someone who said Kennard is not that good he just lost his starting job on a bad defensive Duke team. And YakYak told him a couple days prior he will join the list of doubters. Yesterday Kennard proved another doubter wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point on him being the #2 all time scorer.

People conveniently forget that Franklin scheduled and played several national powers loaded with some of the nation's best players, when Kennard was playing. He was every bit as unstoppable against them, too ... consistently dropping 30-40 points and grabbing 10+ rebounds against some of the nation's very best. Not Kennard's fault he played in the SWBL. What makes people think he couldn't have done the same against the big Ohio/Dayton-area D1 teams such as Fairmont or Springboro? Not only that, but wasn't he a well know star on the AAU circuit, playing against the nation's elite and lighting them up as well? I trust Coach K's ability to recognize talent, more than I trust internet experts.
Old 01-29-17, 11:49 AM
All World

After doing a little internet research, here are some of Kennard's high school stats against some big name teams:

Senior year:
versus Mullins, SC 52 points, 15 rebounds
versus Lakewood St. Edward, OH 39 points, 7 rebounds
versus Hough, NC 39 points, 9 rebounds
versus Montrose Christian, MD (NATIONAL power) 47 points, 14 rebounds

Junior year:
versus Mullins, SC 45 points, 9 rebounds
versus HCYA (FTTH Tourney?) 32 points, 11 rebounds

Sophomore year:
versus Bishop Gorman, NV (NATIONAL power) 22 points, 12 rebounds
versus Myrtle Beach, SC 32 points, 14 rebounds
versus Orem, UT 43 points, 9 rebounds
versus HCYA (FTTH tourney?) 32 points, 11 rebounds

What else do people want him to do to prove he is a top ten Dayton area high school player? Score 25+ points against the D1 big boys from GWOC/Dayton/Ohio, such as Fairmont, Lebanon and Miamisburg? No doubt he would light them up too. I doubt if anybody else from the Dayton area has as impressive a high school resume, against big name schools like Kennard: 38.3 ppg, 11.1 rpg for the ten games mentioned above against top competition...and four of those games were when he was just a Sophomore.

Seventh or eighth best player on the old Dunbar/Roth teams? Delusional.

Last edited by BlackHawk; 01-29-17 at 04:13 PM. Reason: added ten game averages
Old 01-31-17, 08:46 AM
All American

Captain Awesome is on a distinguished road
Well he did tune Springboro up a time or two, Franklin was 3-1 against Springboro when he was in school.
So year he had 27 pts
Jr year he had 43 pts and 17 reb
Sr year he had 48 pts
Old 01-31-17, 09:51 AM
All District

KentuckyKlondikeBars is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comets111 View Post
kentucky lost to tenn? an 10-9 tenn team really and they are in a terrible and i mean terrible conference
Kentucky will beat Pukes by 10 if they played them in the tournament. Kennard is a slow guy with decent "basketball speed" (If you know what I mean)... The speed of Kentucky would destroy him
Old 01-31-17, 12:40 PM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
lol Kennard crapped on one of KKB's friends/family members.
Old 02-22-17, 10:02 AM
All American

eagle172 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to eagle172
Middletown/Franklin

Here is a thought: I could name 5 players from Middletown and Franklin that could handle any 5 players from Dayton. #1 Jerry Lucas,#2Archie Aldridge,#3Butch Carter,#4 Chris Carter, # 5 Luke Kennard.
Old 02-22-17, 12:49 PM
All American

member1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle172 View Post
Here is a thought: I could name 5 players from Middletown and Franklin that could handle any 5 players from Dayton. #1 Jerry Lucas,#2Archie Aldridge,#3Butch Carter,#4 Chris Carter, # 5 Luke Kennard.
5 players from Dunbar alone that beats that team.
Mark Baker
Kurt Taylor
Lee Benson
Dequan Cook
Mike Haley Jr.

That's just Dunbar... Not to mentioning any other city leagues schools. This Dunbar group by 10!! Don't think ole Jerry Lucus could keep up with Lee Benson running the floor. Different era!
Old 02-22-17, 01:23 PM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
member1 bringing the derp to this thread years later
Old 02-22-17, 01:38 PM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by member1 View Post
5 players from Dunbar alone that beats that team.
Mark Baker
Kurt Taylor
Lee Benson
Dequan Cook
Mike Haley Jr.

That's just Dunbar... Not to mentioning any other city leagues schools. This Dunbar group by 10!! Don't think ole Jerry Lucus could keep up with Lee Benson running the floor. Different era!
You did not watch the same kid I did if you put Mike Haley Jr on the list. He was a good, intense player, better at defense than offense. Good rebounder. I thought he was stiff in his motion and was not a top level post player.

Wright State was not a positive experience for the young man either.

There are several Roth post players who would fit much higher on the Dunbar / Roth all time list IMO. Keith B running the floor, as good as it gets.

Back to Kennard, he is continuing to improve. I have been impressed with his passing and use of the right hand is so much better this year.
Old 02-22-17, 03:09 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Did you really just say, an NBA Hall of Famer could not keep up with a high school kid?

You cant compare eras like that.
Old 02-22-17, 06:45 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle172 View Post
I'm a Dayton-area homer all the way, but that's a pretty solid Middletown-Franklin team.

Dayton might counter with something like:

Dwight Anderson
Don May
Daequan Cook
Jim Paxson, Jr.
John Paxson

Off the bench:
Ron Harper
Donald Smith
Frankie Sanders

Dayton is missing a really top-notch big man. Lots of guards, wings and small forwards on my list. Any ideas on the best big man from Dayton?
Old 02-22-17, 07:04 PM
All Ohio

Collier
Hudson

Last edited by yakyak; 02-22-17 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-22-17, 07:28 PM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Jerome Tillman. Probably only 6'5 or 6'6 max but a bull. A Charles Barkley type of game. Best big man I've seen out of Dayton the last 15 years or so
Old 02-22-17, 07:50 PM
All Yappi

catscatscats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Jerome Tillman. Probably only 6'5 or 6'6 max but a bull. A Charles Barkley type of game. Best big man I've seen out of Dayton the last 15 years or so
Terwilliger?
Old 02-22-17, 07:56 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by catscatscats View Post
Terwilliger?
Eh..I always thought he was a little overrated to be honest. Was the third best player on his own team. Can't mention him with the best if that's the case. Same can be said about the 7 ft towers at vandalia during that same time. A little overrated.
Old 02-22-17, 09:25 PM
All World

troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
Jason Collier/Springfield Catholic Central
Adriene Payne/Dayton Jefferson
Keith Waleskowski/Alter
Andre Hutson/Trotwood-Madison
Old 02-22-17, 09:37 PM
All World

Derrick Brown CJ
Aaron Pogue Dunbar
Old 02-22-17, 09:41 PM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Racking my brain a bit here I hit on a name not yet mentioned, this kid was dominate at the high school level, but did not do so well at UD. Kenny Branch from Dixie. I thought of him when thinking of big men as Wes Coffee was a decent big man from the 1980's Dixie teams.
Old 02-23-17, 06:40 AM
All District

KentuckyKlondikeBars is an unknown quantity at this point
Kennard with the ultimate choke job last night. I understand he is from southern Ohio so his talking skills will be bad and hickish BUT his play last night was inexcusable. He takes a terrible shot because he can't get around anyone and then fails to be the back guard making it easy for Syracuse to get an easy look for the game winner.
Old 02-23-17, 09:05 AM
All American

Captain Awesome is on a distinguished road
A banked 30 footer is an easy look now? Why should he have been the guy back? He wasn't at the top of the key he shot it from the elbow. Kids going to be an all american and you're calling him a choke job.
Old 02-23-17, 09:09 AM
All American

ammtd34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyKlondikeBars View Post
Kennard with the ultimate choke job last night. I understand he is from southern Ohio so his talking skills will be bad and hickish BUT his play last night was inexcusable. He takes a terrible shot because he can't get around anyone and then fails to be the back guard making it easy for Syracuse to get an easy look for the game winner.
I'm not sure you've seen very many choke jobs if that was the ultimate choke. He had 23/7/5 with 0 TO on the road and was 5-9 from three.
Old 02-23-17, 09:12 AM
All World

Kennard is legit. I don't know why ppl keep trying to say otherwise. A choke job? Seriously? Without him last night they lose by 20. He makes their offense go, along with Tatum.

If you go back to the old threads from last year, I always say Kennard reminds me of a Chris Mullin. What's interesting is now Vitale and other analysts are also comparing him to Mullin. By the way.. a hall of famer.
Old 02-23-17, 09:41 AM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
You did not watch the same kid I did if you put Mike Haley Jr on the list. He was a good, intense player, better at defense than offense. Good rebounder. I thought he was stiff in his motion and was not a top level post player.

Wright State was not a positive experience for the young man either.

There are several Roth post players who would fit much higher on the Dunbar / Roth all time list IMO. Keith B running the floor, as good as it gets.

Back to Kennard, he is continuing to improve. I have been impressed with his passing and use of the right hand is so much better this year.
Byars is not an all-time basketball great he'd even tell you that. He wouldn't be on the all-time Dayton team.
Mike Haley at one time was all-time leading scorer and still in top 5 so that's not a bad choice.
Old 02-23-17, 09:44 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
I'm a Dayton-area homer all the way, but that's a pretty solid Middletown-Franklin team.

Dayton might counter with something like:

Dwight Anderson
Don May
Daequan Cook
Jim Paxson, Jr.
John Paxson

Off the bench:
Ron Harper
Donald Smith
Frankie Sanders

Dayton is missing a really top-notch big man. Lots of guards, wings and small forwards on my list. Any ideas on the best big man from Dayton?
In particular, how about Bill Hoskett he's a HOF'er
Old 02-23-17, 09:46 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by catscatscats View Post
Terwilliger?
There's no way Terwilliger or Tillman are all-time Dayton greats......
Old 02-23-17, 10:28 AM
All American

The names some of you guys are mentioning are all-time greats at their high school not Dayton greats. Most of you have not seen a lot of basketball you're underestimating the term great!.

Certainly names like Jeff Graham, Jamie Skelton, Ivan Patterson, Richard "TuTu" Brown, Ralph Jukkola, Mike Pratt and even Mark Molinsky are all-time Dayton greats.

Jeff Graham - All-State, could of played big time basketball(D1) in college obviously chose football. As good as Kirk Taylor.
Jamie Skelton - Top 5 all-time leading scorer in Dayton history. Starred 4 years at Ohio State.
Ivan Patterson - state POY 1990, arguably the best pure point guard to come out of Dayton.
Ralph Jukkola - Who do you think was the other guard with Pete Maravich at LSU and point guard for the great 1964 undefeated state champions at Belmont. Played with Don May and Bill Hoskett.
Mike Pratt - another top 10 scorer all-time in Dayton history. Played and started for Adolph Rupp at Kentucky in the late 60' early 70's.
Mark Molinsky - Top 10 all-time scorer at Alter played with Andy Myers and the Waleskowski brothers. Also starred at Boston College in the early to mid 90's.
Richard Brown - Second all-time leading scorer in Dayton history. Starred at Miami of Ohio and Nevada.
Old 02-23-17, 10:59 AM
All Ohio

Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
Did you really just say, an NBA Hall of Famer could not keep up with a high school kid?
He probably couldn't. He's 76 now and I'm guessing he'd have some trouble getting up and down the floor in a high school game.
Old 02-23-17, 11:32 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Friday View Post
IMO that fact he's the #2 all time scorer in Ohio High School history should make him top 10 if this is based exclusively on high school only. But that's when people say 'he didn't play anybody' and only big school kids are going to be considered. It's a debate there's no right or wrong answer. YakYak was replying to someone who said Kennard is not that good he just lost his starting job on a bad defensive Duke team. And YakYak told him a couple days prior he will join the list of doubters. Yesterday Kennard proved another doubter wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and the fact that he has a scholarship at a perrenial player for the NC iI would think enough to put his high school career into the discussion.
Old 02-23-17, 11:39 AM
All American

Whoever says Luke Kennard is not an all-time great hasn't seen him play or doesn't know the game. He may be one of the top 5 to come out Dayton. IMO he is.
Old 02-23-17, 12:34 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
He probably couldn't. He's 76 now and I'm guessing he'd have some trouble getting up and down the floor in a high school game.
I am not sure, he would find a way to trip him, elbow to the throat or somehow to haul is old bones up the court