Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 01-29-17, 11:04 AM
BlackHawk BlackHawk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-09
Posts: 3,829
BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Friday View Post
IMO that fact he's the #2 all time scorer in Ohio High School history should make him top 10 if this is based exclusively on high school only. But that's when people say 'he didn't play anybody' and only big school kids are going to be considered. It's a debate there's no right or wrong answer. YakYak was replying to someone who said Kennard is not that good he just lost his starting job on a bad defensive Duke team. And YakYak told him a couple days prior he will join the list of doubters. Yesterday Kennard proved another doubter wrong



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point on him being the #2 all time scorer.

People conveniently forget that Franklin scheduled and played several national powers loaded with some of the nation's best players, when Kennard was playing. He was every bit as unstoppable against them, too ... consistently dropping 30-40 points and grabbing 10+ rebounds against some of the nation's very best. Not Kennard's fault he played in the SWBL. What makes people think he couldn't have done the same against the big Ohio/Dayton-area D1 teams such as Fairmont or Springboro? Not only that, but wasn't he a well know star on the AAU circuit, playing against the nation's elite and lighting them up as well? I trust Coach K's ability to recognize talent, more than I trust internet experts.
Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 01-29-17, 11:49 AM
BlackHawk BlackHawk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-09
Posts: 3,829
BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
After doing a little internet research, here are some of Kennard's high school stats against some big name teams:

Senior year:
versus Mullins, SC 52 points, 15 rebounds
versus Lakewood St. Edward, OH 39 points, 7 rebounds
versus Hough, NC 39 points, 9 rebounds
versus Montrose Christian, MD (NATIONAL power) 47 points, 14 rebounds

Junior year:
versus Mullins, SC 45 points, 9 rebounds
versus HCYA (FTTH Tourney?) 32 points, 11 rebounds

Sophomore year:
versus Bishop Gorman, NV (NATIONAL power) 22 points, 12 rebounds
versus Myrtle Beach, SC 32 points, 14 rebounds
versus Orem, UT 43 points, 9 rebounds
versus HCYA (FTTH tourney?) 32 points, 11 rebounds

What else do people want him to do to prove he is a top ten Dayton area high school player? Score 25+ points against the D1 big boys from GWOC/Dayton/Ohio, such as Fairmont, Lebanon and Miamisburg? No doubt he would light them up too. I doubt if anybody else from the Dayton area has as impressive a high school resume, against big name schools like Kennard: 38.3 ppg, 11.1 rpg for the ten games mentioned above against top competition...and four of those games were when he was just a Sophomore.

Seventh or eighth best player on the old Dunbar/Roth teams? Delusional.

Last edited by BlackHawk; 01-29-17 at 04:13 PM. Reason: added ten game averages
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 01-31-17, 08:46 AM
Captain Awesome Captain Awesome is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-09
Posts: 1,242
Captain Awesome is on a distinguished road
Well he did tune Springboro up a time or two, Franklin was 3-1 against Springboro when he was in school.
So year he had 27 pts
Jr year he had 43 pts and 17 reb
Sr year he had 48 pts
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 01-31-17, 09:51 AM
KentuckyKlondikeBars KentuckyKlondikeBars is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-23-17
Posts: 135
KentuckyKlondikeBars is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comets111 View Post
kentucky lost to tenn? an 10-9 tenn team really and they are in a terrible and i mean terrible conference
Kentucky will beat Pukes by 10 if they played them in the tournament. Kennard is a slow guy with decent "basketball speed" (If you know what I mean)... The speed of Kentucky would destroy him
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 01-31-17, 12:40 PM
Jim Lahey Jim Lahey is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-09-16
Location: Sunnyvale
Posts: 2,338
Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
lol Kennard crapped on one of KKB's friends/family members.
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 02-22-17, 10:02 AM
eagle172 eagle172 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-17-07
Location: Eaton,Oh
Posts: 1,008
eagle172 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to eagle172
Middletown/Franklin

Here is a thought: I could name 5 players from Middletown and Franklin that could handle any 5 players from Dayton. #1 Jerry Lucas,#2Archie Aldridge,#3Butch Carter,#4 Chris Carter, # 5 Luke Kennard.
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 02-22-17, 12:49 PM
member1 member1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-19-05
Posts: 1,046
member1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle172 View Post
Here is a thought: I could name 5 players from Middletown and Franklin that could handle any 5 players from Dayton. #1 Jerry Lucas,#2Archie Aldridge,#3Butch Carter,#4 Chris Carter, # 5 Luke Kennard.
5 players from Dunbar alone that beats that team.
Mark Baker
Kurt Taylor
Lee Benson
Dequan Cook
Mike Haley Jr.

That's just Dunbar... Not to mentioning any other city leagues schools. This Dunbar group by 10!! Don't think ole Jerry Lucus could keep up with Lee Benson running the floor. Different era!
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 02-22-17, 01:23 PM
Jim Lahey Jim Lahey is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-09-16
Location: Sunnyvale
Posts: 2,338
Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
member1 bringing the derp to this thread years later
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 02-22-17, 01:38 PM
D4fan D4fan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-08-15
Location: At work
Posts: 2,686
D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by member1 View Post
5 players from Dunbar alone that beats that team.
Mark Baker
Kurt Taylor
Lee Benson
Dequan Cook
Mike Haley Jr.

That's just Dunbar... Not to mentioning any other city leagues schools. This Dunbar group by 10!! Don't think ole Jerry Lucus could keep up with Lee Benson running the floor. Different era!
You did not watch the same kid I did if you put Mike Haley Jr on the list. He was a good, intense player, better at defense than offense. Good rebounder. I thought he was stiff in his motion and was not a top level post player.

Wright State was not a positive experience for the young man either.

There are several Roth post players who would fit much higher on the Dunbar / Roth all time list IMO. Keith B running the floor, as good as it gets.

Back to Kennard, he is continuing to improve. I have been impressed with his passing and use of the right hand is so much better this year.
Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 02-22-17, 03:09 PM
yakyak yakyak is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 06-11-14
Posts: 876
yakyak is on a distinguished road
Did you really just say, an NBA Hall of Famer could not keep up with a high school kid?

You cant compare eras like that.
Reply With Quote
  #311  
Old 02-22-17, 06:45 PM
BlackHawk BlackHawk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-09
Posts: 3,829
BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle172 View Post
Here is a thought: I could name 5 players from Middletown and Franklin that could handle any 5 players from Dayton. #1 Jerry Lucas,#2Archie Aldridge,#3Butch Carter,#4 Chris Carter, # 5 Luke Kennard.
I'm a Dayton-area homer all the way, but that's a pretty solid Middletown-Franklin team.

Dayton might counter with something like:

Dwight Anderson
Don May
Daequan Cook
Jim Paxson, Jr.
John Paxson

Off the bench:
Ron Harper
Donald Smith
Frankie Sanders

Dayton is missing a really top-notch big man. Lots of guards, wings and small forwards on my list. Any ideas on the best big man from Dayton?
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 02-22-17, 07:04 PM
yakyak yakyak is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 06-11-14
Posts: 876
yakyak is on a distinguished road
Collier
Hudson

Last edited by yakyak; 02-22-17 at 07:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #313  
Old 02-22-17, 07:28 PM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 4,900
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Jerome Tillman. Probably only 6'5 or 6'6 max but a bull. A Charles Barkley type of game. Best big man I've seen out of Dayton the last 15 years or so
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 02-22-17, 07:50 PM
catscatscats catscatscats is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-08-06
Location: 2010 gwoc co-champs
Posts: 7,321
catscatscats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Jerome Tillman. Probably only 6'5 or 6'6 max but a bull. A Charles Barkley type of game. Best big man I've seen out of Dayton the last 15 years or so
Terwilliger?
Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old 02-22-17, 07:56 PM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 4,900
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by catscatscats View Post
Terwilliger?
Eh..I always thought he was a little overrated to be honest. Was the third best player on his own team. Can't mention him with the best if that's the case. Same can be said about the 7 ft towers at vandalia during that same time. A little overrated.
Reply With Quote
  #316  
Old 02-22-17, 09:25 PM
troyboy73 troyboy73 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-05
Location: springfield
Posts: 3,459
troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
Jason Collier/Springfield Catholic Central
Adriene Payne/Dayton Jefferson
Keith Waleskowski/Alter
Andre Hutson/Trotwood-Madison
Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old 02-22-17, 09:37 PM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 4,900
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Derrick Brown CJ
Aaron Pogue Dunbar
Reply With Quote
  #318  
Old 02-22-17, 09:41 PM
D4fan D4fan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-08-15
Location: At work
Posts: 2,686
D4fan is on a distinguished road
Racking my brain a bit here I hit on a name not yet mentioned, this kid was dominate at the high school level, but did not do so well at UD. Kenny Branch from Dixie. I thought of him when thinking of big men as Wes Coffee was a decent big man from the 1980's Dixie teams.
Reply With Quote
  #319  
Old 02-23-17, 06:40 AM
KentuckyKlondikeBars KentuckyKlondikeBars is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-23-17
Posts: 135
KentuckyKlondikeBars is an unknown quantity at this point
Kennard with the ultimate choke job last night. I understand he is from southern Ohio so his talking skills will be bad and hickish BUT his play last night was inexcusable. He takes a terrible shot because he can't get around anyone and then fails to be the back guard making it easy for Syracuse to get an easy look for the game winner.
Reply With Quote
  #320  
Old 02-23-17, 09:05 AM
Captain Awesome Captain Awesome is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-09
Posts: 1,242
Captain Awesome is on a distinguished road
A banked 30 footer is an easy look now? Why should he have been the guy back? He wasn't at the top of the key he shot it from the elbow. Kids going to be an all american and you're calling him a choke job.
Reply With Quote
  #321  
Old 02-23-17, 09:09 AM
ammtd34 ammtd34 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-13-05
Location: Springfield
Posts: 1,085
ammtd34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyKlondikeBars View Post
Kennard with the ultimate choke job last night. I understand he is from southern Ohio so his talking skills will be bad and hickish BUT his play last night was inexcusable. He takes a terrible shot because he can't get around anyone and then fails to be the back guard making it easy for Syracuse to get an easy look for the game winner.
I'm not sure you've seen very many choke jobs if that was the ultimate choke. He had 23/7/5 with 0 TO on the road and was 5-9 from three.
Reply With Quote
  #322  
Old 02-23-17, 09:12 AM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 4,900
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Kennard is legit. I don't know why ppl keep trying to say otherwise. A choke job? Seriously? Without him last night they lose by 20. He makes their offense go, along with Tatum.

If you go back to the old threads from last year, I always say Kennard reminds me of a Chris Mullin. What's interesting is now Vitale and other analysts are also comparing him to Mullin. By the way.. a hall of famer.
Reply With Quote
  #323  
Old 02-23-17, 09:41 AM
Zezzo! Zezzo! is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-11
Posts: 1,841
Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
You did not watch the same kid I did if you put Mike Haley Jr on the list. He was a good, intense player, better at defense than offense. Good rebounder. I thought he was stiff in his motion and was not a top level post player.

Wright State was not a positive experience for the young man either.

There are several Roth post players who would fit much higher on the Dunbar / Roth all time list IMO. Keith B running the floor, as good as it gets.

Back to Kennard, he is continuing to improve. I have been impressed with his passing and use of the right hand is so much better this year.
Byars is not an all-time basketball great he'd even tell you that. He wouldn't be on the all-time Dayton team.
Mike Haley at one time was all-time leading scorer and still in top 5 so that's not a bad choice.
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old 02-23-17, 09:44 AM
Zezzo! Zezzo! is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-11
Posts: 1,841
Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
I'm a Dayton-area homer all the way, but that's a pretty solid Middletown-Franklin team.

Dayton might counter with something like:

Dwight Anderson
Don May
Daequan Cook
Jim Paxson, Jr.
John Paxson

Off the bench:
Ron Harper
Donald Smith
Frankie Sanders

Dayton is missing a really top-notch big man. Lots of guards, wings and small forwards on my list. Any ideas on the best big man from Dayton?
In particular, how about Bill Hoskett he's a HOF'er
Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old 02-23-17, 09:46 AM
Zezzo! Zezzo! is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-11
Posts: 1,841
Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by catscatscats View Post
Terwilliger?
There's no way Terwilliger or Tillman are all-time Dayton greats......
Reply With Quote
  #326  
Old 02-23-17, 10:28 AM
Zezzo! Zezzo! is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-11
Posts: 1,841
Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
The names some of you guys are mentioning are all-time greats at their high school not Dayton greats. Most of you have not seen a lot of basketball you're underestimating the term great!.

Certainly names like Jeff Graham, Jamie Skelton, Ivan Patterson, Richard "TuTu" Brown, Ralph Jukkola, Mike Pratt and even Mark Molinsky are all-time Dayton greats.

Jeff Graham - All-State, could of played big time basketball(D1) in college obviously chose football. As good as Kirk Taylor.
Jamie Skelton - Top 5 all-time leading scorer in Dayton history. Starred 4 years at Ohio State.
Ivan Patterson - state POY 1990, arguably the best pure point guard to come out of Dayton.
Ralph Jukkola - Who do you think was the other guard with Pete Maravich at LSU and point guard for the great 1964 undefeated state champions at Belmont. Played with Don May and Bill Hoskett.
Mike Pratt - another top 10 scorer all-time in Dayton history. Played and started for Adolph Rupp at Kentucky in the late 60' early 70's.
Mark Molinsky - Top 10 all-time scorer at Alter played with Andy Myers and the Waleskowski brothers. Also starred at Boston College in the early to mid 90's.
Richard Brown - Second all-time leading scorer in Dayton history. Starred at Miami of Ohio and Nevada.
Reply With Quote
  #327  
Old 02-23-17, 10:59 AM
Yeoman Yeoman is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-25-11
Posts: 559
Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
Did you really just say, an NBA Hall of Famer could not keep up with a high school kid?
He probably couldn't. He's 76 now and I'm guessing he'd have some trouble getting up and down the floor in a high school game.
Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old 02-23-17, 11:32 AM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 17,685
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Friday View Post
IMO that fact he's the #2 all time scorer in Ohio High School history should make him top 10 if this is based exclusively on high school only. But that's when people say 'he didn't play anybody' and only big school kids are going to be considered. It's a debate there's no right or wrong answer. YakYak was replying to someone who said Kennard is not that good he just lost his starting job on a bad defensive Duke team. And YakYak told him a couple days prior he will join the list of doubters. Yesterday Kennard proved another doubter wrong



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and the fact that he has a scholarship at a perrenial player for the NC iI would think enough to put his high school career into the discussion.
Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old 02-23-17, 11:39 AM
Zezzo! Zezzo! is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-11
Posts: 1,841
Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Whoever says Luke Kennard is not an all-time great hasn't seen him play or doesn't know the game. He may be one of the top 5 to come out Dayton. IMO he is.
Reply With Quote
  #330  
Old 02-23-17, 12:34 PM
yakyak yakyak is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 06-11-14
Posts: 876
yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
He probably couldn't. He's 76 now and I'm guessing he'd have some trouble getting up and down the floor in a high school game.
I am not sure, he would find a way to trip him, elbow to the throat or somehow to haul is old bones up the court
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz