Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-24-18, 09:36 PM
All World

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spo...k16w1rii0ps41e

What is "a surprising amount of trade interest"?
What would the the Reds need to make the trade?
Who replaces him if he is traded?
is another outfielder a better trade candidate?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-18, 09:37 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Definitely got to be buyers now instead of sellers
Old 06-24-18, 09:55 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
Definitely got to be buyers now instead of sellers
it's been a fun week at least.
Old 06-24-18, 11:33 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
it's been a fun week at least.
It has outside the Senzel injury. I think some guys have raised their trade value while others have at least maintained. I'd have to think the Dodgers may make a push for Scooter in the next few weeks. The other team with a real need at 2b is the Cards but I'm not sure if the Reds would trade him within the division. Seattle can be thrown out there as a possibility too. I really think there may be an issue with his arm that's keeping the Reds from playing him at different positions (prior to Senzel's injury). Think it'd add to his value if they showed he could play other positions. Not a huge market for 2B at this time.

Riggleman's earned the right to have the interim tag pulled in my opinion. Team's played above their talent level since he took over. And by that I mean, I don't really see this as a .500 team.
Old 06-25-18, 06:50 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Can't believe they swept the Cubs, glad to see the spark on the team. We all know the W-L record is not the issue this year, but at least it's a little more fun when you win. Especially when the stadium is 50% blue shirts.

I was talking with my son yesterday, he noted that if the Reds can tie the 20 game winning streak record of the Moneyball A's they would be exactly at .500.
Old 06-25-18, 07:07 AM
All District

Fizz is on a distinguished road
Why does everyone want to make trades every year,at some point you have to stop rebuilding and try to win.You have Scooter for at least another year.
It is fun to go to ballpark and watch some players instead of minors leaguers
Old 06-25-18, 07:07 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
Can't believe they swept the Cubs, glad to see the spark on the team. We all know the W-L record is not the issue this year, but at least it's a little more fun when you win. Especially when the stadium is 50% blue shirts.

I was talking with my son yesterday, he noted that if the Reds can tie the 20 game winning streak record of the Moneyball A's they would be exactly at .500.
The focus should still be on developing the rebuild.

The Reds FO (can't remember if it was DW or Krall) said they know which players they have are available for the right price and which are going to be kept. While they aren't telling the public who that is yet, I'd assume because of contract negotiations, it's good to see they aren't deviating from the rebuild because of a win streak.
They did say they are moving into the phase of adding Big League talent and not necessarily prospects for the right price.
Old 06-25-18, 07:17 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
Why does everyone want to make trades every year,at some point you have to stop rebuilding and try to win.You have Scooter for at least another year.
Some people want something better than bad or average game play. Weird, right?
Old 06-25-18, 08:19 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
It has outside the Senzel injury. I think some guys have raised their trade value while others have at least maintained. I'd have to think the Dodgers may make a push for Scooter in the next few weeks. The other team with a real need at 2b is the Cards but I'm not sure if the Reds would trade him within the division. Seattle can be thrown out there as a possibility too. I really think there may be an issue with his arm that's keeping the Reds from playing him at different positions (prior to Senzel's injury). Think it'd add to his value if they showed he could play other positions. Not a huge market for 2B at this time.

Riggleman's earned the right to have the interim tag pulled in my opinion. Team's played above their talent level since he took over. And by that I mean, I don't really see this as a .500 team.
I just don't know what teams are going to be willing to give up for Scooter. Teams just don't put much into 2nd basemen anymore.
I think the Indians should look at him too, Kipness is terrible.
Old 06-25-18, 08:24 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:

The Reds FO (can't remember if it was DW or Krall) said they know which players they have are available for the right price and which are going to be kept. While they aren't telling the public who that is yet, I'd assume because of contract negotiations, it's good to see they aren't deviating from the rebuild because of a win streak.
They did say they are moving into the phase of adding Big League talent and not necessarily prospects for the right price.
So they are buyers and going to take on payroll?
Old 06-25-18, 08:24 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
The Reds don't HAVE to trade, but when you hit a hot player like Scooter, which we got for nothing, if you can turn that into future assets, you do it.
Scooter isn't going to be part of the future. But if we don't get much of anything for him, then keep him and try him in left field next season.
Old 06-25-18, 08:26 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
The Reds don't HAVE to trade, but when you hit a hot player like Scooter, which we got for nothing, if you can turn that into future assets, you do it.
Scooter isn't going to be part of the future. But if we don't get much of anything for him, then keep him and try him in left field next season.
You just claimed teams would undervalue a trade for scooter due to his position.
Old 06-25-18, 08:43 AM
All World

What a great week of Reds baseball...Always good to beat up on the Cubs...just some random thoughts...

-I'm not sure what's happened to the Cubs starting pitching...I know Darvish is on the DL, but they were running out non-starters alot this weekend. That said, they'd been playing good baseball, and we turned the tables on them. With a stadium full of Cub fans, it was good to see.
-Duvall and Hamilton are both now finally over .200 and contributed heavily the past week. Hopefully this is the start of continued success for them. I guess there are some teams asking about Duvall?
-Romano aside yesterday, starting pitching has been much better. I've said all along, offensively, defensively and bullpen, this team is sound. The starting pitching has been our Achilles heel the past few seasons.
- How about the Amir Garrett/ Anthony Rizzo matchup...wow that's good. I know many of you think Garrett should be a starter, but I really like his role as a specific role, multiple inning high leverage pitcher. When you look at our pen now, it's Hughes, Hernandez, Garrett, Lorenzen and Iglesias all taking turns in the 7th/ 8th/ 9th inning. We are starting to shorten games, if we can have the lead in the 6th/ 7th inning, we can now close games out, and over multiple days with the depth. Good sign!

There is no chance we get back into this, but we just need to keep plugging away, winning series, making progress. Good things are happening!!
Old 06-25-18, 11:25 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No sh__. I've said the same thing 100 times on this thread. Go back and read if you can't remember. I simply made the comment that it was nice to see some wins. Know your audience.
Old 06-25-18, 11:43 AM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Great comeback yesterday. When the pitchers fall apart, they really fall apart, eh? Next up: Braves.
Old 06-25-18, 02:49 PM
All World

Rebuilding doesn't mean we have to lose and play the youngest players we have. It's nearly impossibly to do a complete rebuild. Joey Votto is with this team until 2025, so he's going to be part of any winning we do in the next half decade.
And it's certainly ok to win while we are rebuilding, actually it would probably be called tweaking as we move forward. Votto at first, Suarez at 3rd and Barnhart behind the plate will form 1/3rd of our lineup the next few seasons. Winker is playing his way into a possibly corner outfield spot moving forward. At this point Gennett and Peraza, the jury is still out on, although Gennett may have to become an outfielder to continue with this team. Very likely Hamilton and Duvall's days in Cincy are numbered and they won't be with the club next season. Romano, Castillo and Mahle contintue to hold starting spots the moving forward. Harvey will likely be dealt and Bailey certainly won't be here after 2019.
Old 06-25-18, 04:37 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
No sh__. I've said the same thing 100 times on this thread. Go back and read if you can't remember. I simply made the comment that it was nice to see some wins. Know your audience.
I do know my audience. You're not the only person to read my post and had I not stated the Reds should stay focused on the rebuild there would have been no shortage of people criticizing me saying that I'm declaring the Reds are in "win now" mode or some other BS. So take your panties out of the wad you've got them in and relax a bit.

That being said, I fully agree it is nice to see this team win some.
Old 06-25-18, 04:38 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
So they are buyers and going to take on payroll?
I have no idea if DW is looking to expand payroll.
Old 06-25-18, 04:45 PM
All World

Quote:
Rebuilding doesn't mean we have to lose and play the youngest players we have. It's nearly impossibly to do a complete rebuild. Joey Votto is with this team until 2025, so he's going to be part of any winning we do in the next half decade.
And it's certainly ok to win while we are rebuilding, actually it would probably be called tweaking as we move forward. Votto at first, Suarez at 3rd and Barnhart behind the plate will form 1/3rd of our lineup the next few seasons. Winker is playing his way into a possibly corner outfield spot moving forward. At this point Gennett and Peraza, the jury is still out on, although Gennett may have to become an outfielder to continue with this team. Very likely Hamilton and Duvall's days in Cincy are numbered and they won't be with the club next season. Romano, Castillo and Mahle contintue to hold starting spots the moving forward. Harvey will likely be dealt and Bailey certainly won't be here after 2019.
A pitcher with a 5.40 ERA and a WHIP of 1.471 in 90 innings should not be viewed as a long term piece. It does show how bad the other young guys are stinking it up in the minors that you and the Reds think he should be in the rotation moving forward.
Old 06-25-18, 04:49 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Great comeback yesterday. When the pitchers fall apart, they really fall apart, eh? Next up: Braves.
Yep. This 7 game win streak is squarely the result of the offense. They have scored no less than 5 runs during that span and 53 runs total. The pitching has given up 5 runs once and 6 runs twice, the other 4 wins the pitching has been good.
Old 06-25-18, 08:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
A pitcher with a 5.40 ERA and a WHIP of 1.471 in 90 innings should not be viewed as a long term piece. It does show how bad the other young guys are stinking it up in the minors that you and the Reds think he should be in the rotation moving forward.
But one with a 5.70 era and a 1.40 whip deserves a $30m/7-yr deal?
Old 06-25-18, 08:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I have no idea if DW is looking to expand payroll.
Acquiring major league players vs high level prospects would expand payroll.
Old 06-25-18, 10:58 PM
All World

Quote:
Acquiring major league players vs high level prospects would expand payroll.
Not necessarily.
Old 06-25-18, 11:00 PM
All World

Quote:
But one with a 5.70 era and a 1.40 whip deserves a $30m/7-yr deal?
Given that Castillo has shown that he has far more upside then Romano ever has, yes.

Castillo would be signing now while his price is low.

Romano has never shown that he has the ability to pitch at a high level. Castillo has.
Old 06-25-18, 11:47 PM
All American

If I find out any of you guys are friends or even know the Reds fans that started this WOOO crap, I'll be very urinated off. That being said, I really think Scooter's defense and questions about his health, along with the chance he'd only be able to play 2B for at least this year will drive his value down.

Looks like a certain yappi poster will be back on this thread tomorrow after Votto had a huge error. Won't mention when they had bases loaded with 1 out and didn't do anything with it.
Old 06-26-18, 06:59 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Given that Castillo has shown that he has far more upside then Romano ever has, yes.

Castillo would be signing now while his price is low.

Romano has never shown that he has the ability to pitch at a high level. Castillo has.
You literally have zero sense of humor.
Old 06-26-18, 09:38 AM
All World

Quote:
Did you ever see Johnny Cueto's first 3 years with the Reds? Not good.
Old 06-26-18, 09:53 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Did you ever see Johnny Cueto's first 3 years with the Reds? Not good.
Cueto's first 3 years with the Reds, at ages 22, 23 and 24, averaged a 4.27 ERA and 1.348 WHIP in 531 total innings. He lowered his ERA and WHIP significantly each year. Hell, by his 3rd year his ERA was 3.64 and WHIP at 1.276. At 24, that's not good?!
Old 06-26-18, 10:31 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Cueto's first 3 years with the Reds, at ages 22, 23 and 24, averaged a 4.27 ERA and 1.348 WHIP in 531 total innings. He lowered his ERA and WHIP significantly each year. Hell, by his 3rd year his ERA was 3.64 and WHIP at 1.276. At 24, that's not good?!
Mahle is ahead of that curve in his progression. Maybe he regresses but if he doesn't he will become an incredibly expensive pitcher. He has thrown strikes at every level and dominated at every level. If ever there was a young pitcher worth taking a chance on a cheap, long term contract he is the one. Nothing is ever a sure thing but there are certain things you should look for as indicators of future success. He checks them all off.
Old 06-26-18, 10:59 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Yeah, it was pretty obvious cueto was special very early.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: