Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-15-18, 06:16 PM
All Ohio

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
In the SE corner of our county, the once-proud and successful Minerva Lions have lost 34 straight games.
Think you, I, and everyone else picked Indian Valley over Minerva in the T-County Week 3 Pick-Em. Glad to see you were one of the sensible ones who picked Dover over Akron East this week, too!

Think we’re both going to go 12-3 this week, but looks like Power house (another of the Dover faithful) will go 13-2. Bummer ... I even had 70 as my tie breaker!

Your game against New Phila on Friday should be a good one. Phila’s struggling lately, while you guys are coming off a rivalry win. Even with Harbins at stake, still just feels unnatural to root for Phila.

I'll just be a few miles up the road, at the Brickhouse, watching Dover beat Tallmadge!

Good luck this Friday, and hope everyone stays healthy!

Last edited by FootballFan1795; 09-15-18 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-15-18, 07:59 PM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
Wow, I just looked at this site apparently just before the quiz was posted! I've totally missed it.
Old 09-15-18, 08:04 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
coldshoulder arrives with number 5. The great overwrought (not overweight anymore) and mind blowing Meatloaf. Everyone has sung at some time , "I want you, I need you but there ain't no way." Sing it loud and it sounds great!

24. And perhaps the artist most deserving of the Rock Hall Warren Zevon with Werewolves of London. Well worth your time to check out his albums.

That leaves: 1, 4, 10, 11, 12, 17, 19, 25, 27, 30 and 31, I believe.

Three new guess for everyone at 11:00 tonight.
Old 09-15-18, 08:09 PM
All Region

Ok 27. Muskrat Love by Captain and Tennille
Old 09-15-18, 08:20 PM
All Region

And just a fun aside: I found out last week from my brother that my late father helped write the BYU fight song that is still used today. He would mention it every single time they played it, my brother said. I was quite surprised I'd never heard that before, but my dad didn't talk about his life much. He was close to my brother and watched all the games with him.
Old 09-15-18, 08:59 PM
All American

Very cool about the fight song; copyright?

27. Yes, it sounds like all that nibbling and rubbing might lead to more than snack.

You say Captain and Tennille and I say America and we are both right.
Old 09-15-18, 11:56 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post

Your Irish got a big win last night over Cardinal Mooney with their big rivalry game against Hoban coming up next weekend. I wish the Irish all the luck in the world for that game. They're probably gonna need it.
Yes, Hoban is really strong and probably is in a class by themselves. They are odds-on favorites to win their fourth straight state championship.

In other Akron football news, the Akron Zips (a 21-point underdog) upset Northwestern, 39-34, in Evanston. This was the first time since 1894 that Akron defeated a Big Ten team:
https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/un...ime-since-1894

ROCK ON!
Old 09-16-18, 01:20 AM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
coldshoulder arrives with number 5. The great overwrought (not overweight anymore) and mind blowing Meatloaf. Everyone has sung at some time , "I want you, I need you but there ain't no way." Sing it loud and it sounds great!

24. And perhaps the artist most deserving of the Rock Hall Warren Zevon with Werewolves of London. Well worth your time to check out his albums.

That leaves: 1, 4, 10, 11, 12, 17, 19, 25, 27, 30 and 31, I believe.

Three new guess for everyone at 11:00 tonight.
Bevo,
I've already answered 11, 12, and 30.
Old 09-16-18, 07:00 AM
All American

Wouldn't be right if I was right.

That leaves 1, 4, 10, 17, 19, 25, 27 and 31.

Three new ones today and we will give Diva three new ones also just because.

Go Bucks! Go Browns! Go Tribe! Go Zips!!
Old 09-16-18, 07:24 AM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Mrs. M weighs in to help clean up:

31. "The Unicorn Song" -- The Irish Rovers
Old 09-16-18, 08:28 AM
All Region

Bevo, regarding the copyright, he does not own it. I have no idea how much he contributed as he never spoke of it to me.
Old 09-16-18, 08:51 AM
All American

31. Mrs. M knows her stuff - it is The Irish Rovers with The Unicorn Song.

What's left 1, 4, 10, 17, 19, 25, and 27. It's a beautiful day so I'll let it ride until evening.

I always catch Breakfast with The Beatles with Dennis Mitchell on Sunday morning. great show. One of today's songs was It's All Too Much. So musical!
Old 09-16-18, 09:57 AM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
25. "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd (Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd)

To me, the song meant more as a dedication to the memory of Duane Allman (and also Berry Oakley), than a breakup song.
Old 09-16-18, 10:16 AM
All Ohio

BlackHawk beat me to the Skynyrd one, so I’ll go with:

4. “Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)” – The Beatles

10. “Blackbird” – The Beatles

17. “Karma Chameleon” – Culture Club
Old 09-16-18, 10:39 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
... This was the first time since 1894 that Akron defeated a Big Ten team:...
It was Buchtel College back then...

Just ribbing you.

:>---

MOS 0311 ~ What every Marine is!

SF
Old 09-16-18, 10:55 AM
All American

25. Blackhawk is correct with Free Bird by Skynard. I am sure you are correct about the genesis of the song. My reflection was that at that time I was teaching in high school and every break up seemed to have this song as back ground music.

That's what's great about music - it gets us all in a different way based on age, situation, etc. Mr Slippery found the song Horse With No Name somewhat uplifting. I was married, broke,working part-time at things I hated and going to college. It was the tune I most associate with those times in the early 70's. To me it was a good song but reminds me of the struggle.

As for Freebird I love the song but I also see some group of girls consoling a mate over a break up at a dance as Freebird begins.

F.F - with a great run here!

4. Isn't it good, Norwegian Wood? As a frosh./soph. much of the references and meaning was lost on me but I sure liked how it sounded. I believe Lennon said this was the band trying to do Dylan. (This Bird Has Flown.)

10. Saw something where McCartney was at Rollins' College for a music speech of some sort (seems like he had a step daughter there) and he did Blackbird and mentioned the civil rights' part.

17. When I first saw Alice Copper I was amazed that he called himself "Alice" and that the band was so "out there". Boy George and Culture Club did the same thing to me. Now, nothing amazes me or really even surprises me. Love Karma Chameleon!

That leaves: 1 and 19. Usually, at least one of the songs left tells me a lot about myself because the one(s) left are usually by my guy.

That clue pertains to 1. The clue for No. 19 is that was done by a group whose main song was about a surfer named Joe.

Last edited by Bevo; 09-16-18 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-16-18, 03:53 PM
All Region

When I was young and doing Christmas shows with my six sisters, we did the Christmas Song by the Chipmunks. Not in their voices but our own. We did have the record. I was always so curious to know how they got the singers' voices to sound like that!
Old 09-16-18, 04:06 PM
All Yappi

#1...

Are you sure it was God and not Homo Sapiens - ALA Bob?

SF
Old 09-16-18, 05:25 PM
All American

1. ohiop. - you are correct it was Bob AND it was Man Gave Names To All The Animals. the album is called Saved and it was Zimmy's Christian period - if you believe the critics. It is a decent album. I bought it in about 78-80.

When you are talking Dylan and the Beatles as much as we (I) do, it's pretty easy to slip over to the answer to No. 19. I know OWK, in his endless Doo Wop and Surf loop that plays in his head has talked about The Trashmen on here and their beautiful song, Surfer Bird. They also did the eponymous Surfer Joe.

So, with a "little help from my friends" we have completed Part One of Rock and Roll Animals. I will get part Two on soon - tomorrow or Tuesday.

Good job, per usual.
Old 09-16-18, 07:29 PM
All American

Something to smile about: McCartney's new album Egypt Station debuts at NUMBER ONE - 36 years after he last had an album that did the same thing

Rock on - Paulie!
Old 09-17-18, 05:36 AM
All Region

I'm so glad he's still out there making music. Where's Ringo?
Old 09-17-18, 07:19 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
I'm so glad he's still out there making music. Where's Ringo?
Making 'woopee' with Barb

MOS 0311 ~ What every Marine is!

SF
Old 09-17-18, 08:48 AM
All American

I saw that Dan Rather's hard to find talk show will have Ringo on in the next week or so.

Dave Grohl, drummer and other instrument player for Foo Fighters says admiringly that Ringo plays "sloppy" drums and laid down the perfect back beat for the three genuises in front of him.
Ringo's all-star band use to be out every year. I believe "Rings" turned 78 this past July.

Yesterday's Breakfast With The Beatles was about the movie, Yellow Submarine, and the Beatles' cartoons, which played for a couple of years.

Stay clear of the Blue Meanies today if you see any!

Another sign of our small town, I saw high school art students painting downtown windows yesterday with fall sports and halloween pictures.

Fifty years ago each period of art class would leave the school and drive the three blocks to the downtown area and do the same. Only, students drove each other! This would go on all week. Can you imagine? There would be a 12-page form for this today.

Also, other than homecoming, there are now no dances at the school. I believe the middle school has a halloween and spring dance - each of several hours.

When I was a kid we had several throughout the year, plus after every home football and basketball game they played records in the cafeteria and we did our version of dancing in the dark. Not today. Liability. I think kids would love this stuff!

Way out of season but Upper's prom is about the arrival, the chatting on the lawn, a quick look at decorations and then music is played until around 12:00 and then everyone leaves and goes somewhere.

Known by perhaps only me (maybe Diva as a transplant) Upper Sandusky High School was the first school in America to have an all night prom. This was a featured story in Look Magazine in the late 40's. It even included, weather permitting, swimming in the town pool.

When I was in school in the late 60's, it was still all night but we stayed in the building for a meal and two dances - a formal one and of course, a rock one. One of the rock bands that played at one of my proms was a group I have mentioned often from Findlay, The Nite Watchmen.

Now, about Ringo... .
Old 09-17-18, 08:59 AM
All Region

I didn't know that!

I miss having the prom entrances televised. Everyone finds the best car/truck/tractor/firetruck and shows off their spicy duds before going in to the building. Couples were announced. I don't know if they still have the parade, but it was a huge deal when my girls were there in the early 2000s.
Old 09-17-18, 09:00 AM
All Region

Check out the radar. I was hoping to get caught in hurricane rain this morning, but I did my miles before any rain threatened.
Old 09-17-18, 09:35 AM
All American

I am told the first all -night prom in America was held in Upper Sandusky in the spring of 1948.

Diva - the prom is the same today as it was when your girlies went through, as it was for my kiddos.
Old 09-17-18, 10:50 AM
All Region

I have to clear up the story that my father helped write the fight song of BYU. Upon further investigation from siblings, we have come to the conclusion that it wasn't that song he helped write. I don't want anyone to think he did when he didn't. Sorry, I spoke too soon.
Old 09-17-18, 11:05 AM
All Region

He would have been very proud of the Cougars Saturday though!
Old 09-17-18, 12:06 PM
All Ohio

Bevo, how could you forget to mention that, before Foo Fighters, Dave Grohl was also the drummer for the iconic punk/grunge band, Nirvana?!

Regarding your other topics, our small city has about twice the population of Upper Sandusky, but regardless, the high school is still big on tradition. So, many of the activities of the past that you mentioned still go on there today.

Every day after school for a week, the art club kids here walk the two blocks from the high school to the downtown area (no permission slips required!) and compete in creating either the best humorous Halloween paintings or the best traditional fall ones on the windows of the downtown businesses. The completed works are judged, and the winners are announced at our city’s annual Halloween parade. Multiple local high school marching bands show up to play (with their band members dressed in costumes) and draw a huge crowd.

Also, I know there are several dances at the high school throughout the school year, besides Homecoming and Prom. Remember Sadie Hawkins dances? They still do those, along with several other themed dances.

Here, one of the busiest months for students is October in that the kids get super-involved in our big rivalry week activities (it’s the 3rd oldest football rivalry in Ohio, but ohiopup’s alma mater has us beat!). The kids dress up in daily themed costumes for the week and are judged; each grade level competes in plastering one of the main hallways with over-the-top themed decorations; there is a Rotary Club sportsmanship banquet which both teams attend; there is a community spaghetti dinner; we have a huge bonfire and community pep rally at the stadium the night before the big game (and there’s talk of bringing back the snake dance that begins at the high school and ends at the stadium, which is about a half mile away); there is a student pep rally at school the day of the game; and most importantly, there are always the late-night Senior rivalry week pranks, which sometimes get the kids into hot water!

Now, that’s a fire!

Best. Prank. Ever.

As far as the Prom goes, it’s crazy here. Until recently, you could drive past the high school in the morning and see people’s lawn chairs set up along the walkway to the front entrance, for the late afternoon ‘walk-ins.’ The last few years, spectators do the same thing at a nearby college branch campus, where the dinner and DJ’d dance are now held. But first, the couples must meet at a special location, such as a scenic park, and have their parents take photos.

Like Diva’s daughters, the couples here also try to outdo each other in who can make the most dramatic/ridiculous prom entrance, and there is an announcer who introduces each couple. At the dance, formal photos are still taken of the couples, and the kids enter their names into a drawing for prizes, such as iPads, TVs, and tickets to the zoo. I will say that post-prom does not go on all night anymore, as it did in the past (now it’s over at 2 AM), and the kids are usually instructed to meet at someplace like Sky Zone (about a half-hour drive up I-77) for their post-prom activity.

Back in my day, the whole thing was never this intense. Our parents took a picture or two back at the house, couples went to dinner together at their choice of (fancy) restaurant, the DJ’d dance was held back at the high school gym or cafeteria, and the planned post-prom activities were usually at two venues that you drove yourself to, such as a nearby bowling alley and a roller-skating rink. Technically over by 4 AM, but of course, there were also the after-hours parties held in cheap motel rooms, where somebody invariably got sick drinking Mad Dog 20/20, lol.

Ahh, those were the days …
Old 09-17-18, 02:30 PM
All American

Ahhhhh.....cheap hotels.........

I have seen a reproduction (copy) of the picture Look used in '48 of the prom goers swimming at the pool. It's either been in the Daily Chief Union or in one of the year books over the years. I am pretty sure the superintendent who I believe had the last name of Davis came up with the idea. I note the 70th. anniversary of the event was this past May.

Ringo and Rather - Oct. 2.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: