Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-15-18, 01:29 AM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Do you ever see . . .

anyone hitchhiking any more? I was just watching an old movie on an HBO channel and one of the main forms of transportaton was hitchhiking. I don't think I've seen anyone hitching in the last 20 years. When I was at Ignatius in the 60's, in my junior and senior years I would hitch a ride home two or three times a week. I would have some Ignatius gear on, and 80% of the time an Ignatius or Ed's grad would pick me up and drop me within walking distance of home. When I went to college in Boston, I used to hitch back and forth from Cleveland in the autumn and in spring (never in winter) and I lived to tell about it. You would see kids hitching on all the ramps to the interstates. Now no one does it. Is it because everyone thinks its too dangerous? I admit that in college I knew one kid who was killed by the driver and another who was killed by the two hitchers he picked up. Is it against the law in some states? Just something I was curious about after watching the movie.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-18, 06:14 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Was thinking the same thing the other day while watching Perry Mason. Told the wife I remember seeing William Talman (Hamilton Burger) in a film where he played a hitchhiker killer, and how scary the expression on his face was.
Old 08-15-18, 06:32 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
I hitched as a teen. I also carried a knife. Only had to pull it once. Hitched two months around Japan. Gaijin standing by the road with a sign in Kanji? I never waited more that 15 minutes. Had people park a half mile up the road in a turn off and wait for me to walk to them. Picked up to entertain kids, dogs, teach English. One limo, I'm POSITIVE were Yakuza. They certainly had that stereotype look. Plastic suit, curly haired guy. Big burly guy. Boss with the comb over. Put me up in a Karaoke suite outside Fuji. Hilarious watching these "thugs" moving couches around to make me a bed.

Hitched rides in ambulance, military vehicle, a massive logging truck, cargo ship (ok, I paid for that), Semis ... it's the only way to go. Such a loss that it cannot be done in the US anymore. No better way to connect.
Old 08-15-18, 07:42 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Hitching was pretty common when I was a teenager in the 1970's. In fact as a new driver in the mid 70's it was considered almost an obligation among my group to pick up a hitcher.

When you think about it what happened to hitch hiking is a perfect example of how a small number of scum bags can ruin something for everyone.
Old 08-15-18, 08:00 AM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
I didn't stick my thumb out or anything but an old couple gave me a free ride across the GW Bridge from NJ to NY several years ago after I gave up on trying to find a bus to take me.
Old 08-15-18, 08:31 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
A friend's Father-in-law was killed by 2 hitchhikers many years ago.
They found the car in Kentucky, they eventually caught the perps and
as far as I know they are still incarcerated.

I haven't seen a hitchhiker for several months, usually I see them on
or near Interstate on-ramps, duffle -bag and a destination sign in hand.

~ ~ ~

:>---

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the
filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of
animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
~ Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

SF
Old 08-15-18, 09:44 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
My older brother used to hitch (he called it "thumb") to and from football practice most days (about 10 miles). No one had a second thought about it that I can remember.
Old 08-15-18, 07:22 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
I haven't seen a hitchhiker in many years. Back in the seventies, I hitched the 50 miles from Oxford to Dayton, on a fairly regular basis. No worries back then. Nowadays might be different.

I always just assumed it's illegal in most states now.
Old 08-15-18, 07:30 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
I haven't seen a hitchhiker in many years. Back in the seventies, I hitched the 50 miles from Oxford to Dayton, on a fairly regular basis. No worries back then. Nowadays might be different.

I always just assumed it's illegal in most states now.

I seem to recall, it was illegal back then too.
Old 08-15-18, 07:52 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
I don't think you can hitch on the interstates, and pretty sure not on the Ohio Turnpike, but other than that I don't think it is illegal now or then. Why would it be?
Old 08-15-18, 10:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
I don't think you can hitch on the interstates, and pretty sure not on the Ohio Turnpike, but other than that I don't think it is illegal now or then. Why would it be?

because someone is always trying to remove the fun? Road Hazard? I'm pretty sure, at least by local law it was illegal to hitchhike. I do recall being concerned I'd get caught. So for sure, I THOUGHT it was illegal, as I was doing it, if I was in fact doing it. What's the statute of limitations on that?
Old 08-15-18, 10:09 PM
All Yappi

Oh, forgot a few. I got a hitch from a police car (to a border passed a LONG line of cars) an Army truck and a donkey wagon. I've never ridden a helicoptor. I'd like to do that someday. Soon.
Old 08-16-18, 06:15 AM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
In ten years of driving back and forth to Florida I've never seen a hitchhiker.
Old 08-16-18, 03:23 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
If picking up a couple of guys who ran out of gas counts as thumbing (they were headed to the next gas station and planned to bum money all the way to the beach) , I did that a few years ago. Looking back, I wouldn't do it again. Every so often I see someone who is hitching, but it is pretty rare compared to years ago.

Story: Dad and his friend (later a Purdue football running back) would run from one telephone pole to the next and then walk to the next one - from Rootstown to Akron to catch the train to Cleveland to watch the Indians. The same thing on the way back. They did get a ride home from the county sheriff one time after they explained to him what they were doing out so late. That was a different time...

Which states is it illegal to hitchhike?

It's illegal to stand directly on the road (for obvious safety reasons), but standing on the side of the road, the shoulder, or a sidewalk is fine. Each state also has its own laws, though, and a few specifically ban hitchhiking. These include New York, Nevada, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Utah, and Wyoming.

14 Ways to Safely Hitchhike Across the United States - Nomadic Matt
https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-b...united-states/

or (take your pick) -

Is Hitchhiking Illegal? Yes and no. It's illegal to stand on the side of a major highway and solicit rides, because this is a danger to other drivers on the road. However standing at the on-ramp entrance before a highway is legal in most states.

Jan 23, 2017
Hitchhiking Across America: One Ride At A Time Expert Vagabond
https://expertvagabond.com/hitchhiking-america/

Maybe both are correct.
Old 08-17-18, 04:18 PM
All World

WykidWytch
I just saw two folks with their thumb out on the I-70 on ramp at Rt 37 last Monday.
Old 08-17-18, 09:56 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Late 60s, early 70's we hitched a ride some where every day. A lot less traffic on the streets and plenty of times the same cars would pick us up going on the same routes we were.

It was a different world. Safely hitch a ride to school and then practice our duck and cover drills under the desk. Had to prepare for the atomic bomb blast from Putin's great grandfather.
Old 08-17-18, 10:18 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
I guess the 60's were not just the decade of love, but also the decade of hitchin'.
Old 08-18-18, 07:55 PM
All Region

Salesman is on a distinguished road
We see hitchhikers occasionally in Findlay--usually on the on-ramp to I-75 @ St. Rte. 12. I would never pick one up.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: