Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-01-15, 10:39 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakethesnake14 View Post
Is there a time limit on how long infield/outfield can be or is it a courtesy? What if: home team just gets done before umps come into field? can umps limit the amount of time?
During tournament time I believe there is a clock on it.

For regular season games most just go about their routine and take longer.

The home team, especially during the week, should have the courtesy to start earlier if they want a little extra time.

Last edited by thavoice; 05-01-15 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-01-15, 11:37 AM
Junior Varsity

Jakethesnake14 is on a distinguished road
umps come into confines and tell visiting coach they only have 2 minutes for infield. Thoughts/ Yes, a Varsity game
Old 05-01-15, 11:49 AM
All Yappi

That sounds like BS. 2 minutes?
Sounds like umps on a power trip.

Sounds like the home team really hosed ya.
Old 05-01-15, 03:55 PM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I referenced rule 8-4k to both PU and BU for which I was relegated to the bench
I think you meant to type 8-4-2k......

Regardless, if the ball was touched, then the only way interference can be ruled is if intent was involved..... if the ball was not touched and another fielder had an opportunity to make a play, then the runner is guilty of interference.
Old 05-01-15, 04:03 PM
All World

Quote:
umps come into confines and tell visiting coach they only have 2 minutes for infield. Thoughts/ Yes, a Varsity game
Jake, we'll be happy to answer rules questions in this forum, however, I ask that you keep your criticism of your umpires to yourself or take it up with your league assigners. They can address any problems that you have encountered.

Thanks....

AS12
Old 05-04-15, 09:08 AM
Junior Varsity

Jakethesnake14 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the post. Not trying to criticize. Calls/emails to assigner from AD have not been answered yet.
Trying to obtain a ruling on rules infraction(s). Is there a time limit rule for taking infield/outfield before the game outside of tourney? i haven't been able to find one. If so, where may I find it? I'd be grateful.
Old 05-04-15, 10:16 AM
All World

There is no rule regarding pre-game warm-ups. Typically, this is a league issue that is worked out long before the season starts. Non-league game logistics generally are worked out prior to the game. The start times for baseball are so early that logistical problems are common.

Umpires that don't allow the teams to adequately (and reasonably.....as there are teams that tend to stretch things out) warm up are generally ones that want to get in and get out...... Yes, we have them amongst us and it aggravates me to say that...... Issues with umpires insisting on starting without adequate warm-ups are generally addressed within the league and/or the assigner.
Old 05-04-15, 10:24 AM
All Yappi

ALLsports, what about tournament games? I know regular season games they dont usually have any sort of time limit.

I know in the summer our area has a league that typically follows the OHSAA rules for pretty much everything and for the tournament they go with 8 minutes per team for warmups. It get announced over the PA and timed by those up in the press box.
Old 05-04-15, 10:25 AM
All Yappi

I have a question regarding the camo digital sleeves, and sleeves in general I guess, for pitchers.

I know they are not allowed to wear white long sleeve and such like that ontheir pitcher arm. What about these digital sleeves that many kids are wearing these days?
Old 05-04-15, 10:37 AM
All Yappi

Only thing I can find is this....
Rule 1-4-2

ART. 2 . . . For individual players, uniform sleeve lengths may vary. However, sleeves of each individual player shall be approximately the same length and shall not be ragged, frayed or slit. If the pitcher's undershirt sleeves are exposed, they shall not be white or gray. A pitcher shall not wear any item on his hands, wrists or arms which may be distracting to the batter. A pitcher shall not wear white or gray exposed undershirt sleeves or any white or gray sleeve that extends below the elbow. A vest and coordinating shirt that is worn underneath is viewed as a type of uniform top
Old 05-04-15, 11:12 AM
All District

Voice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Only thing I can find is this....
Rule 1-4-2

ART. 2 . . . For individual players, uniform sleeve lengths may vary. However, sleeves of each individual player shall be approximately the same length and shall not be ragged, frayed or slit. If the pitcher's undershirt sleeves are exposed, they shall not be white or gray. A pitcher shall not wear any item on his hands, wrists or arms which may be distracting to the batter. A pitcher shall not wear white or gray exposed undershirt sleeves or any white or gray sleeve that extends below the elbow. A vest and coordinating shirt that is worn underneath is viewed as a type of uniform top
Voice, you would make an excellent umpire and most likely be working state finals in no time with all your contacts. Ever consider umpiring? Umpires are getting scarcer and scarcer around these parts.
Old 05-04-15, 11:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice View Post
Voice, you would make an excellent umpire and most likely be working state finals in no time with all your contacts. Ever consider umpiring? Umpires are getting scarcer and scarcer around these parts.
Have I thought about it? Sure, can make some good jack but if I have the time to do it I would rather get back into coaching.

Not sure why ya have to make a smart comment about working in a state finals.

Just asking a question. Notice more and more arm sleeves and just was wondering what the rule is.
Was at a game this weekend between two very poor teams and one brought in their best, or second best, at the end and he wears an arm sleeve that doent match the team colors. I know you cannot wear white or grey and the other things on the arm/hands for pitchers.

I may not be much, but what I try to do is make sure I am clear on the rules and I am not afraid to reach out to umpires and ask.
Old 05-04-15, 02:42 PM
All World

Quote:
ALLsports, what about tournament games? I know regular season games they dont usually have any sort of time limit.

I know in the summer our area has a league that typically follows the OHSAA rules for pretty much everything and for the tournament they go with 8 minutes per team for warmups. It get announced over the PA and timed by those up in the press box.
There is no specified warm up period mentioned anywhere in the tournament regulations. All that information is communicated to the teams via the tournament manager and facilitated by the each specific site manager. The umpires generally arrive about 10 minutes before the scheduled start of the game and have nothing to do with this.

When you get to the state tournament, there is a specific itinerary provided to the teams and the site manager sees that it is followed...... The umpires do not make their way from their right field corner entry point until the visiting team has completed their session.
Old 05-04-15, 02:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
There is no specified warm up period mentioned anywhere in the tournament regulations. All that information is communicated to the teams via the tournament manager and facilitated by the each specific site manager. The umpires generally arrive about 10 minutes before the scheduled start of the game and have nothing to do with this.

When you get to the state tournament, there is a specific itinerary provided to the teams and the site manager sees that it is followed...... The umpires do not make their way from their right field corner entry point until the visiting team has completed their session.
Good to know.

I just had found that the league I was referencing had the 8 minutes in their handbook. I can see that being a site rule instead of an actual OHSAA/NFHS rule.

Wonder what would happen if a team just blatantly doesnt abide? I would imagine nothing!
Old 05-04-15, 02:46 PM
All World

The camo sleeve would be illegal, due to the white or grey in it. An umpire can also rule anything he deems distracting as illegal and order the pitcher to remove it, such as optic green. (don't laugh, I had that one tried on me once...almost had to dump an assistant coach over that one)
Old 05-04-15, 02:49 PM
All World

Quote:

Wonder what would happen if a team just blatantly doesnt abide? I would imagine nothing!
One would hope that commons courtesy and sportsmanship would kick in somewhere here..... if it doesn't the umpire can encourage the team to wrap it up... if they refuse, I would suggest a game report be sent to Columbus advising them of what took place.....

These issues should be few and far between....
Old 05-04-15, 02:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The camo sleeve would be illegal, due to the white or grey in it. An umpire can also rule anything he deems distracting as illegal and order the pitcher to remove it. (optic green --- don't laugh, I had that one tried on me once...almost had to dump an assistant coach over that one)
Figured as much. I have seen this kid wear it a couple of times already this year and thought it probably wasnt within regs. Other team never said anything...I presume they didnt know/care enough.

The rule I referenced....so both sleeves should be about the same length correct? So if someone wore a solid color within regs they would need something on the other arm as well?
Old 05-04-15, 03:18 PM
All World

Quote:
Figured as much. I have seen this kid wear it a couple of times already this year and thought it probably wasnt within regs. Other team never said anything...I presume they didnt know/care enough.
Add a couple of umpires to the list as well.... all it takes is one kid to suffer a serious injury as in being hit in the head by a pitcher wearing such an illegal sleeve and the umpire will soon understand (he should already) why the rule was written.....

Quote:
The rule I referenced....so both sleeves should be about the same length correct? So if someone wore a solid color within regs they would need something on the other arm as well?
The length of sleeves rule refers only to uniform sleeves, including undershirt sleeves.

You can have a compression sleeve on the pitching arm, and still have a short sleeve (uniform) on the other.

Last edited by AllSports12; 05-04-15 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-07-15, 11:48 AM
All District

jasrccw is on a distinguished road
Runner at second, field umpire standing mid infield shaded towards 3rd base. Ground ball hit to the short stop and he and the runner at second bump into each other just as the shortstop is fielding the ball. Runner did not go out of baseline but may have slowed a little. Runner proceeds to third and SS makes the throw to first but the runner beats the throw. Umpire says safe at all bases and no interference by the base runner. Field ump says he was looking at 1st base and did not see the interference and the plate umpire says it was not his call. Is this the correct call?
Old 05-07-15, 07:01 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasrccw View Post
Runner at second, field umpire standing mid infield shaded towards 3rd base. Ground ball hit to the short stop and he and the runner at second bump into each other just as the shortstop is fielding the ball. Runner did not go out of baseline but may have slowed a little. Runner proceeds to third and SS makes the throw to first but the runner beats the throw. Umpire says safe at all bases and no interference by the base runner. Field ump says he was looking at 1st base and did not see the interference and the plate umpire says it was not his call. Is this the correct call?
If it happened as you described, that's interference on the runner. He should have been ruled out and the batter runner awarded first base. (unless it was obvious that the batter runner would have been put out as well, then he could have been declared out as well.

As far as who's call is it........

The base umpire should not be looking at first base until the ball is thrown to first. (If he's looking at first, what if the throw goes to third?). Both umpires has the ability to make the interference call on this play.

One of them should have gotten it
Old 05-07-15, 07:49 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
To piggy-back AllSports12 ...

Keep in mind that the field umpire has first play in the infield (i.e. on the bases, not at home), so that person better be looking at the initial action.

In terms of coverage for that infraction, either umpire can get that one.

By rule, the fielder has the first right to field the ball. The fact the runner was in/out (or whatever) of the baseline is extraneous.
Old 05-08-15, 10:26 AM
All District

jasrccw is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-08-15, 10:53 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
If it happened as you described, that's interference on the runner. He should have been ruled out and the batter runner awarded first base. (unless it was obvious that the batter runner would have been put out as well, then he could have been declared out as well.

The base umpire should not be looking at first base until the ball is thrown to first. (If he's looking at first, what if the throw goes to third?). Both umpires has the ability to make the interference call on this play.

I know if the runner is hit by the batted ball while a fielder still has a reasonable chance at it is an out and the hitter is credited with a hit.
Do you know how this situation is ruled with the runner interference?
Old 05-08-15, 11:40 AM
All World

Quote:
I know if the runner is hit by the batted ball while a fielder still has a reasonable chance at it is an out and the hitter is credited with a hit.
Do you know how this situation is ruled with the runner interference?
The runner can be guilty of interference without getting hit.

If in the judgment of the umpire he (physically or verbally) obstructs, impedes, hinders, or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play..... you have interference...
Old 05-08-15, 11:49 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
The runner can be guilty of interference without getting hit.

If in the judgment of the umpire he (physically or verbally) obstructs, impedes, hinders, or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play..... you have interference...
Yes, I undertand that. Maybe I worded it incorrectly.
In the present scenario, if the runner was charged with interference for making contact with the fielder, or in other ways such as you described, would the batter be credited with a hit? Or are you lumping in getting hit by the batted ball into the same interference category in which he would get credited with a hit?
Old 05-08-15, 12:14 PM
All World

Quote:
Yes, I undertand that. Maybe I worded it incorrectly.
In the present scenario, if the runner was charged with interference for making contact with the fielder, or in other ways such as you described, would the batter be credited with a hit? Or are you lumping in getting hit by the batted ball into the same interference category in which he would get credited with a hit?
Oops! That's on me...... I misunderstood your question....

The ball hitting a runner is not automatically an out and a hit.... If the ball hitting the runner prevented an obvious double play, then two outs can be awarded.

In your second scenario, a fielder's choice would be the logical scoring decision...... Then again, I really don't bother with scoring decisions, as they have no bearing on what goes on between the dugouts.
Old 05-08-15, 12:58 PM
All District

Voice is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Correct, however remember that the fielder is protected only on his initial attempt at fielding the ball in NFHS rules. If the ball is not fielded cleanly then no interference if contact is made after, In fact if the fielder bobbles the ball and then contact with the base runner is made, you may have obstruction. Make that call and see what happens.
Old 05-09-15, 07:10 AM
All World

Saw that situation happen once.... The crew working the game got it right and the day ended early for defensive coach
Old 05-16-15, 07:50 AM
All World

GCPRO
Varsity HS Baseball-late game(though that fact matters little) a hitter at the plate who has not been previously in the game. With a 2-1 count coaches realize that this kid was not in the line up and had not been reported as a sub. Hitter ends up walking and then the defensive HC asks the plate umpire if the sub hitter had been reported into the game. He is told no and after 10 plus minutes of talking with the base umpire and both HCs the hitter, who is now at first, stays in the game.
In the subsequent 10 games played since this incident each umpire crew has been asked the correct call on the substitution. I believe the answer favors the hitter should have been called out for not been reported in. Subsequently it was told that once a player is at the plate he is "in the game" regardless of being reported in.
My bigger question would be why do umpires keep line up cards if it doesn't matter if a kid is reported or not? All manners of situations could arise. Examples-your ss plays defense but doesn't hit and who would catch it, especially when you are the visiting team because usually the home book is the "official" book? A player pinch hits two or more times during a game and is also undetected?
I realize these are extreme examples but can occur along with many others.
Old 05-16-15, 08:03 AM
All Region

bb9
There is no penalty for an unreported sub in high school baseball. Umpires keep line up cards because there could also be illegal subs, such as a substitute coming out and then reentering at a later time, or the scenario you gave with someone pinch hitting twice.