Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-02-18, 04:36 PM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECfb View Post
First I am already stuck up here
Second I don't have a sister. So fail
You must really be lost being north of the Mason-Dixon line. Bet when you left home you had a hard time leaving your brother's behind.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-18, 06:14 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Who in the hell would want to come up to that ugly part of United States in the middle of the Winter
It's really quite attractive under a foot of freshly fallen snow!
Old 01-02-18, 06:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
A couple of thoughts... If Alabama defeats Georgia does that mean that the 3rd best team in the SEC won the national championship and therefore cements the thought of many that the SEC is the strongest conference in the universe? Does it mean that Georgia will have to relinquish the SEC championship?
As for the suggestion that the first four seeded teams in an eight team play-off scenario should have a home game...Right do you honestly believe any school from the SEC would agree to a game in Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio or Pennsylvania in December?
Well if they want to advance in the playoffs and that's the game they draw they'll have to right?
Old 01-02-18, 09:24 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
Right it was Clemson imploding not Bama’s D.
You do realize that was UCF’s super bowl and just another game for Auburn right ?
LMAO
So you're claiming Auburn didn't mind being embarassed on National TV? That they even invited it?

What you're saying might support the narractive you wish to be true but it sure puts Auburn in a bad light. I very much doubt they under appreciated the talent at UCF. Auburn is too good to do that. Many of those players I'd bet, shared the same high school leagues. They weren't complete unknowns.
Old 01-02-18, 09:41 PM
All American

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Ask anyone that has “college football” as a job, media people, scouts etc. The biggest problems with bowl games is getting kids “up” to play in them. There are teams that simply use them for recruits and a vacation.
Old 01-02-18, 10:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Ask anyone that has “college football” as a job, media people, scouts etc. The biggest problems with bowl games is getting kids “up” to play in them. There are teams that simply use them for recruits and a vacation.
I guess I don't find that unbelievable but is it a phenomena that started with Play-offs? I would find it unbelievable back in the day, when bowl games were our champ vs. yours.
Old 01-02-18, 11:06 PM
All American

SECfb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I guess I don't find that unbelievable but is it a phenomena that started with Play-offs? I would find it unbelievable back in the day, when bowl games were our champ vs. yours.
Don't want to speak for him. My thoughts are definitely since the 4 team playoff has been in effect the bowl games just don't have the meaning they once did. Even since they had the 2 team national championship, they have become of less interest. These are just college kids, and sure they want to win the game, but hard for everybody to be all in. Especially if certain teams were in the running to make it to the playoff, or title game.
Old 01-03-18, 12:31 AM
All American

A college kid in the Midwest in the winter... the team made it to a bowl in Florida where it’s 80 degrees and girls are aplenty on the beaches. On top of that every player receives “swag” up to $550 worth. Where do you think there minds are leading up to a game that won’t get them anything more then what’s mentioned above.
Old 01-03-18, 02:53 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Don't want to speak for him. My thoughts are definitely since the 4 team playoff has been in effect the bowl games just don't have the meaning they once did. Even since they had the 2 team national championship, they have become of less interest. These are just college kids, and sure they want to win the game, but hard for everybody to be all in. Especially if certain teams were in the running to make it to the playoff, or title game.

Quote:
A college kid in the Midwest in the winter... the team made it to a bowl in Florida where it’s 80 degrees and girls are aplenty on the beaches. On top of that every player receives “swag” up to $550 worth. Where do you think there minds are leading up to a game that won’t get them anything more then what’s mentioned above.
When I asked the question, I thought from what you were previously saying I was going to get more facts and quotes and less "My," speculation the views of others and less personal view. I don't see anything mentioned in the replies that is different than it ever was, at least since the days there were a few fruit and flower bowls followed by a couple all-american bowls.

They've always been "college kids," going to warm places (some less warm now)with lots of distractions.

I was suggested to "Ask anyone that has “college football” as a job, media people, scouts etc." I'm guessing that's not either one of you?

Since all we appear to have is "presumption," I still then think it's presumptious and even derogatory to think that a team like Auburn, a very competitive group that wants to "win the game," that knows the talent they're about to face, would not be motivated, would not prepare, would not do everything they could to NOT be that team that lost to a G5.

Avoiding embarrassment can be very motivating as it's its own kind of pressure, much like a one-off play-off. As far as general "fan" interest, that seems very motivated by what day the games are held. Those are verifiable numbers, not personal view.
Old 01-03-18, 05:37 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Who in the hell would want to come up to that ugly part of United States in the middle of the Winter
Lookin' good in Alabama, Columbiana style -

Old 01-03-18, 11:44 AM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
As for the suggestion that the first four seeded teams in an eight team play-off scenario should have a home game...Right do you honestly believe any school from the SEC would agree to a game in Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio or Pennsylvania in December?
That would be my dream scenario. Just like in the NFL play-offs where warm weather teams have to come north to play the higher seed. Instead of Whisky playing Miami on their home field, have the U come north to Madison during the holidays or have bammy come to Columbus to celebrate the New Years. Let see how well they do.
Old 01-03-18, 03:27 PM
All District

J.R. Swish is on a distinguished road
That is what makes the 8 team playoff so attractive to many. The SEC schools would not have a choice but to show up. Think about it....college football would get matchups that fans have dreamed about. This year you would have had OSU going to Bama in the 4-5 matchup. UCF would have gotten their chance at Clemson in the 1-8 game. USC at Oklahoma and Penn St at Georgia. Talk about a great day of college football!!
Old 01-03-18, 03:50 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Even a 12-team would been great this season:

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Alabama

5. Ohio State Vs. 12. UCF
6. Wisconsin Vs. 11. Washington
7. Auburn Vs. 10. Miami
8. USC Vs. 9. Penn State
Old 01-03-18, 04:37 PM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't get how a fan of the sport would be opposed to a 6 or 8 team playoff unless they liked how the current system benefited their team in some way. Who doesn't want to see more playoff games between top competition?
Old 01-03-18, 06:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
I don't get how a fan of the sport would be opposed to a 6 or 8 team playoff unless they liked how the current system benefited their team in some way. Who doesn't want to see more playoff games between top competition?
I think you nailed it NEO - the SEC supporters like the status quo because they already have an automatic bid and after this year they may have two automatic bids!

Frankly, the other conferences need to act NOW to push for an 8 team playoff sooner rather than later. This talk of waiting to 2026 is silly. This has to happen no later than 2020. And if the SEC balks, then do it without them.
Old 01-03-18, 06:46 PM
All American

PAC 12 commissioner Larry Scott has said this about expansion “We’ve got no interest in exploring that, we really think we got it right with four teams in terms of balancing the regular season and the excitement of the Playoff.”
Old 01-03-18, 08:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
PAC 12 commissioner Larry Scott has said this about expansion “We’ve got no interest in exploring that, we really think we got it right with four teams in terms of balancing the regular season and the excitement of the Playoff.”
Then he is an idiot and a perfect example of the small group of slithering low life's inhabiting college football who would cling to their little prejudices even if it means screwing the members of the conference that he collects a pay check from. Because the PAC 12 would benefit more than ANY OTHER P5 conference with an 8 team playoff that includes an automatic bid for its champ. What a tool this guy is.
Old 01-03-18, 08:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Swish View Post
That is what makes the 8 team playoff so attractive to many. The SEC schools would not have a choice but to show up. Think about it....college football would get matchups that fans have dreamed about. This year you would have had OSU going to Bama in the 4-5 matchup. UCF would have gotten their chance at Clemson in the 1-8 game. USC at Oklahoma and Penn St at Georgia. Talk about a great day of college football!!
Actually, the staffers for Golic and Wingo duplicated the old BCS metrics that were in play before the Playoff Selection Committee started doing their thing, and UCF finished 9th. No sh1t.
Old 01-03-18, 08:57 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Actually, the staffers for Golic and Wingo duplicated the old BCS metrics that were in play before the Playoff Selection Committee started doing their thing, and UCF finished 9th. No sh1t.
But the idea is that in an 8 team playoff format the highest rated non P5 team would get an automatic bid. So in that type of a situation UCF would have made the playoffs as the highest rated non-P5 team and been awarded an 8 seed.
Old 01-03-18, 09:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
But the idea is that in an 8 team playoff format the highest rated non P5 team would get an automatic bid. So in that type of a situation UCF would have made the playoffs as the highest rated non-P5 team and been awarded an 8 seed.
But the best non-P5 team wasn't good enough to make an 8 team field. Why cheat the real #8 ?
Old 01-03-18, 09:11 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
But the best non-P5 team wasn't good enough to make an 8 team field. Why cheat the real #8 ?
Think of what makes March Madness exciting...those early round upsets by a mid major.

Group of 5 absolutely should be included.

If you are a power 5 that didn't win their conference and didn't have a resume to grab an at large then you have nothing to complain about.
Old 01-03-18, 09:14 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Then he is an idiot and a perfect example of the small group of slithering low life's inhabiting college football who would cling to their little prejudices even if it means screwing the members of the conference that he collects a pay check from. Because the PAC 12 would benefit more than ANY OTHER P5 conference with an 8 team playoff that includes an automatic bid for its champ. What a tool this guy is.
No way are there any changes before 2026.
Old 01-03-18, 09:38 PM
All World

What is preventing changes prior to 2026?
Old 01-03-18, 09:41 PM
All American

Quote:
What is preventing changes prior to 2026?
A contract with ESPN worth 5.7 BILLION.
Old 01-03-18, 09:51 PM
All World

And you think ESPN would be against the prospect of getting 2-4 additional playoff games?
Old 01-03-18, 10:11 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
Think of what makes March Madness exciting...those early round upsets by a mid major.

Group of 5 absolutely should be included.

If you are a power 5 that didn't win their conference and didn't have a resume to grab an at large then you have nothing to complain about.
Only 2 at large....If you are markedly better than the Go5 team, yeah, you have something to complain about.
Old 01-03-18, 10:38 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Not cheating anyone Cabe. Just giving the other 64 FBS schools competing who are not members of the P5 an automatic bid! Think of this group as a 6th conference. Heck, if you give the Pac 12 an automatic bid you're cheating someone to.

BTW, you have to take baby steps with these guys. For me 12 would be a great number with automatic bids going to the P5 conference champs & the highest rated non-P5 team. That way you have 6 wild card bids that are decided using the current formula. But let's get to 8 first and then after a couple of years seeing how great an 8 team playoff is we can move to the final format of 12 teams.
Old 01-03-18, 10:42 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
No way are there any changes before 2026.
Why, is this a constitutional amendment or a commandant from God?
Old 01-03-18, 10:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
And you think ESPN would be against the prospect of getting 2-4 additional playoff games?
I suspect espn would be very happy to see a modest expansion of the playoffs.
Old 01-03-18, 10:48 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Higher ratings for 4 games would be great at the price they paid. Doubly so considering its a network in flames.