Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-09-17, 02:48 PM
Varsity

Toms0655 is on a distinguished road
Week 8: Canton South (6-1) @ Marlington (5-2)

NBC and playoff spots on the line this week for Marlington’s homecoming game. I think it will be another good game and probably another game down to wire for the Dukes...who ya got?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-17, 02:50 PM
All American

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
Marlington
Old 10-09-17, 03:34 PM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
I think marlington wins by a couple
Points, more battle tested, used to being in this situation
Old 10-09-17, 04:10 PM
All Region

Old Wildcat is on a distinguished road
This could be a barn burner, not high scoring but might come down to who has the ball last. South's defense seems to be there strong point, same for Marlington. On paper the Dukes offense looks better. Bottom line it will come down to who takes care of the ball. Special teams vwill be a factor most likely. I'll take the Dukes by 7.
Old 10-09-17, 04:21 PM
All District

MINFAN is on a distinguished road
Seeing both teams I think it's pretty even. Both teams have decent speed- I think south will win it in a close one- they have a very good lineman that is a difference maker- i like South by 3..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-17, 08:55 PM
All District

Starkflavor is on a distinguished road
Any Canton South posters out there care to give some opinions?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-17, 08:56 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Rooting for Marlington.
Old 10-10-17, 05:06 PM
Varsity

Toms0655 is on a distinguished road
Big Time Sports TV game this week
Old 10-10-17, 05:59 PM
All World

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Go Dukes!
Old 10-13-17, 10:32 AM
All Region

Mr. Wildcat_09 is on a distinguished road
Huge opportunity awaits the Wildcats come 7:00 p.m. tonight. A win all but assures them of their first playoff appearance since 2008 (99% according to Drew Pasteur) and keeps them alive in the NBC race (would need some week 10 help from the Dukes against Alliance).

While this will be South's toughest game (outside of Alliance) of the year up to this point, I am confident the Cats can get a statement win on the road for the following reasons...

4-0 away record - Two wins came against struggling teams (1-6 Cloverleaf and 0-7 Minerva), but the Cats impressed in their other two road wins. A 33-21 week 3 win over CVCA is looking better each week, as the Royals are 5-2 and just outside the DIV playoff picture and still in the PAC race (with Manchester still looming, though). Also, a 47-27 week 5 win over Salem was also impressive. I know comparing same opponents is apples to oranges, and high school football is based on matchups, week-to-week health and schemes, and a myriad of factors, but Marlington snuck out a 20-16 win over Salem at home the following week.

Last week's bounce back win - The question among South fans all year during our first-half winning streak was how we will handle adversity as a team that hasn't been in this type of situation for three years. Alliance drilled us in every facet in week 6, and the Cats bounced back to beat an underrated West Branch team last week, 30-21. A sluggish start saw the Cats give up 21 points to a really good WB offense in the first half, but the defense stepped up with a second half shutout to seal the win. Responding to a disappointing week 6 performance was imperative in getting South's playoff chances back on track.

Health - The Cats don't have much depth, but look to be at full strength tonight. They were without two-way starter and leading receiver Riley James last week, and numerous players have been banged up. James is a go tonight which should help QB Silas Snyder navigate that physical Marlington defense.

Senior leadership - The Wildcats didn't win many games the past 2 years, but people close to the program knew that talent was there. Now that the kids are believing in themselves, having senior leaders like QB Silas Snyder and LB Jared Perez should have every South fan feeling confident for this big road test. Other seniors Quentin Hughes and Mehki Reid are being disruptive forces on the defensive line week to week. Senior WR-DB Jabril Muhammad and Senior LB-RB Tayshaun Ezell are big contributors on both sides of the ball after barely seeing the field on Friday nights last year. Senior WR Beau Robbins had an 81-yard TD catch last week. If Snyder and the offense can sustain some long TD drives and the defensive front 7 can limit Marlington's versatile running game, I think South fans have a good chance at having a memorable drive home down Route 62.

As a former South player and Wildcat lifer, it's been truly awesome to see the success these kids have had up to this point. The new coaching staff has done a tremendous job and the pride in Wildcat football is back in the community. There's nothing better than to be playing meaningful mid-October football, especially against a quality opponent and program in Marlington.

See you at the game!
Old 10-13-17, 11:11 AM
All Region

Mr. Wildcat_09 is on a distinguished road
While I'm at it, here's some info on the history of the South-Marlington series:

Overall series - Canton South 33, Marlington 22 (2 ties)

The teams split their contests in 1936 and 1937 as Canton Township High School and Marlboro High School. The schools were members of the Stark County Class B League.

1962 - Marlington moves from the Stark County Class A League to the AA League, and loses to South 36-6. South goes 9-1, wins the AA League and has possibly the best team in school history.

1963 - Marlington ruins South chances to claim a second outright Class AA title, upsetting the Wildcats 6-0.

1964 - Marlington beats South 20-7 in their first matchup as members of the Federal League. They will play each other as Federal League opponents until 1984, (the schools would keep the series going out-of-conference until South joined the NBC in 1990)

1966-1978 - South wins every matchup, except for a 6-6 tie in 1968.

1988 - Marlington defeats South 26-20 in 3 OTs (only 3 OT game in CS history).

1990 - Marlington beats South 14-7 in the first NBC matchup between the schools. The series is tied 5-5 in the 1990's.

1991 - South returns the favor with a 20-14 overtime win.

1995 - Marlington wins 35-0 and makes the playoffs for the first time in school history.

2006, 2007, 2008 - South wins every matchup, helping them make three straight playoff appearances. A 42-7 win in 2008 is the last victory the Wildcats own vs. the Dukes.

2009 to present - The Wildcats have been on the short end of the series throughout the Duke football renaissance of the 2010's. The past 3 games have been really good games. 25-21 in 2014 (South gives up a couple late TD bombs in the pouring rain to lose), 27-24 in 2015 (don't remember much), and 48-35 in 2016 (South concedes a 35-34 4th quarter lead to the 10-0 Dukes, Jaq Sampson runs for a million yards).

I didn't realize that South hasn't won in this series since 2008. Definitely have to hand it to Marlington's program and the success they've had over the past 7 or 8 years. Hopefully the Cats can get the monkey off their back tonight!!

Last edited by Mr. Wildcat_09; 10-13-17 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-13-17, 02:35 PM
All Region

Bigtimesportsohio is on a distinguished road
Big Time Sports TV Game. Replay Saturday 9am Sunday 7pm Spectrum 989 MCTV 128. We will upload the game to the Big Time Sports Vimeo Page to watch world wide 24/7. Follow us on Facebook Twitter@btsohio and Instagram@bigtimesportsohio
Old 10-14-17, 05:34 AM
All Region

Old Wildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
I think marlington wins by a couple
Points, more battle tested, used to being in this situation
What a great HARD fought game by two hard playing teams. I said in a earlier post I thought it might come down to special teams and I think it did. Buckeye Elite graet perdiction on how close it was. Was there actually a screw up ? Did South get 5 plays the last drive? I guess we will see on the TV broadcast. Again it was an awesome game by both squads.
Old 10-14-17, 07:24 AM
All World

South will need the Louisville game to get up week 11 that's tough
Old 10-14-17, 10:56 AM
All District

satoshi node is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
South will need the Louisville game to get up week 11 that's tough
That's not quite accurate. From all indications if South beats Carrollton they are in.

Many questionable calls went against south last night. Despite it all they had their chances. It's a tough pill to swallow when you outgain the other team by one hundred yards and have 13 more first downs and come up the losing end. No one expected South to be 6-2 at this point. They still have a lot to play for.
Old 10-14-17, 11:14 AM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by satoshi node View Post
That's not quite accurate. From all indications if South beats Carrollton they are in.

Many questionable calls went against south last night. Despite it all they had their chances. It's a tough pill to swallow when you outgain the other team by one hundred yards and have 13 more first downs and come up the losing end. No one expected South to be 6-2 at this point. They still have a lot to play for.
Projected to be an 8 seed at 7-3. But it will be close.
Old 10-14-17, 03:22 PM
All District

Starkflavor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by satoshi node View Post

Questionable calls? South had 5 downs to score at the end. 4th and 1 QB sneak that wasn't close. Pass interference calls. It was a good football game that could've went either way. Good luck to South

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-17, 05:30 PM
All World

Don't want to lose again tho, the 8 seed is somewhere nobody wants to be playing the big red