Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-10-16, 11:09 AM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
9. Woodrow Wilson H.S. - Dallas - Davie O'brien 1938 TCU. and Tim Brown N.D., 1987

Mater Dei H.S. - Santa Ana, Cal. - John Hurate 1964 N.D. and Matt Leinart USC, 2004

(Groovin' this morning to Barenaked Ladies holiday music.)
Old 12-10-16, 01:54 PM
All Ohio

JoshuaRanch is an unknown quantity at this point
6 Mike Garrett of USC of the Chiefs, Paul Horning of ND and the Packers did not play because of injury (hoping)
Old 12-10-16, 04:06 PM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
Since it's another day, I'll go with a few more guesses:

2. Who is the only Heisman winner to have a college stadium later renamed in his honor ?
Kinnick Stadium, Iowa

5. Who is the only Heisman winner to have also played for his college in the NCAA D1 Basketball Final 4 ?
Terry Baker, Oregon State

6. Who was the first Heisman winner to play in a Super Bowl. This is a tricky question because another Heisman winner was suited up for the other team, but did not play in the game due to an injury.
Jim Plunkett?

ROCK ON!
OWK,

2. Kinnick Stadium named after Nile Kinnick, halfback from Iowa who won the Heisman in 1939 is correct. Iowa Stadium which opened in 1929 was renamed Kinnick Stadium in 1972.

5. Terry Baker, Oregon State quarterback who won the trophy in 1962 was also the starting point guard for the Beavers 4 months later before losing to the U.C. Bearcats in the semifinals.

6. Jim Plunkett is incorrect. See JoshuaRanch's answer above. It was Mike Garrett, the 1965 winner who was a rookie with the Kansas City Chiefs in their 35-10 loss to the Green Bay Packers. Paul Hornung the 1956 winner was in uniform for the Packers, but didn't play due to an injury.

JB
Old 12-10-16, 04:17 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
I checked - Gradishar.

Bevo,

#13 is correct, the late John Hicks finished 2nd, Archie Griffin,5th, and Randy Gradishar finished 6th in the balloting in 1973, the year John Cappelletti of Penn State won the award.

JB
Old 12-10-16, 04:19 PM
All American

Quote:
9. Woodrow Wilson H.S. - Dallas - Davie O'brien 1938 TCU. and Tim Brown N.D., 1987

Mater Dei H.S. - Santa Ana, Cal. - John Hurate 1964 N.D. and Matt Leinart USC, 2004

(Groovin' this morning to Barenaked Ladies holiday music.)

Bevo,

Both high schools and all 4 Heisman winners are correct.

JB
Old 12-10-16, 04:27 PM
All American

I will do a final update either later tonight or in the morning, but according to my calculations there are only two and a half questions remaining.

I show these questions remaining :

1. Still need the name of the Heisman winner that future President Gerald Ford tackled in a college game. It was not Bruce Smith of Minnesota.

JB
Old 12-10-16, 04:44 PM
All Ohio

1 Hoppalong Cassidy of Ohio State
Old 12-10-16, 04:47 PM
All Ohio

10 I'm guessing Deoin Sanders, but I don't think he won the Heisman
Old 12-10-16, 05:16 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
1. Still need the name of the Heisman winner that future President Gerald Ford tackled in a college game. It was not Bruce Smith of Minnesota.

JB
Here are a couple more guesses:

10. Bo Jackson, who won the Heisman in 1985, played 4 seasons in the NFL and 8 seasons in Major league baseball. . .What other Heisman winner other than Bo Jackson played 2 seasons of major league baseball and 2 seasons of NFL football ?
Ohio State Buckeye and Elyria native Vic Janowicz

12. Name the only Heisman winner to win the Heisman at one school after backing up a Heisman winner at another school. Bonus points for naming the schools and both Heisman winners.
Danny Kannell started his career at Florida State, so he might have backed up Charlie Ward.

ROCK ON!
Old 12-10-16, 09:07 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
Here are a couple more guesses:

10. Bo Jackson, who won the Heisman in 1985, played 4 seasons in the NFL and 8 seasons in Major league baseball. . .What other Heisman winner other than Bo Jackson played 2 seasons of major league baseball and 2 seasons of NFL football ?
Ohio State Buckeye and Elyria native Vic Janowicz

12. Name the only Heisman winner to win the Heisman at one school after backing up a Heisman winner at another school. Bonus points for naming the schools and both Heisman winners.
Danny Kannell started his career at Florida State, so he might have backed up Charlie Ward.

ROCK ON!
Danny Kannell never won the Heisman. I do believe the answer is Cam Newton who had a cup of coffee at Florida the year Tim Tebow won the Heisman.

As for #1, all I can think is that Gerald Ford had to be in his 60s when he served as Commander-in-Chief (I wasn't alive in those days), so whoever he tackled had to be looong ago.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 12-10-16 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-10-16, 10:12 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Danny Kannell never won the Heisman. I do believe the answer is Cam Newton who had a cup of coffee at Florida the year Tim Tebow won the Heisman.

As for #1, all I can think is that Gerald Ford had to be in his 60s when he served as Commander-in-Chief (I wasn't alive in those days), so whoever he tackled had to be looong ago.
My Bad! I meant Danny Wuerffel.

Mr. Slippery - You are probably correct with Cam and Tebow, but I inadvertently typed Danny Kannell instead of Danny Wuerffel. Thanks for catching my error.

Let's go all the way back to the first Heisman winner, Jay Berwanger. He played at The University of Chicago and back then they played Michigan.

ROCK ON!
Old 12-11-16, 12:31 AM
All American

Got a pretty good snow right now in God's Country - Upper Sandusky.
Old 12-11-16, 08:16 PM
All American

Final Summary of Heisman Quiz. Sorry for the delay in posting this.

Who was the only Heisman winner to be tackled by a player who would one day become President of the United States ? Bonus points for also naming the future president who made the tackle. Jay Berwanger was the Heisman winner that was tackled by future president Gerald Ford back in 1934. OWK

2. Who is the only Heisman winner to have a college stadium later renamed in his honor ? Nile Kinnick - OWK

3. Name the only Heisman winner who played for a team with a losing record in the year he win the trophy. Paul Hornung - OWK

4. The legendary coach, Paul, "Bear" Bryant in his long career only coached one Heisman winner, name the player. John David Crow - OWK

5. Who is the only Heisman winner to have also played for his college in the NCAA D1 Basketball Final 4 ? Terry Baker - OWK

6. Who was the first Heisman winner to play in a Super Bowl. This is a tricky question because another Heisman winner was suited up for the other team, but did not play in the game due to an injury. Mike Garrett - JoshuaRanch

7. Only one Heisman winner has gone on to coach another Heisman winner in college. Name the coach and the player he coached. Steve Spurrier was the coach and Danny Wuerffel the player.- Mr. Slippery

8. Who is the only Heisman winner who also participated in the Winter Olympics ? Herschel Walker - Mr. Slippery

9. There are two high schools in the country that have each produced 2 Heisman winners. Looking for the 2 high schools and the 2 players from each school. Woodrow Wison HS in Dallas, Texas ( Davey O'Brien and Tim Brown) and Mater Dei HS in Santa Ana, California ( John Huarte and Matt Leinart) - Bevo

10. Bo Jackson, who won the Heisman in 1985, played 4 seasons in the NFL and 8 seasons in Major league baseball. . .What other Heisman winner other than Bo Jackson played 2 seasons of major league baseball and 2 seasons of NFL football ? Vic Janowicz - OWK

11. Who was the oldest player to win the Heisman ? Chris Weinke - afwpatfire

12. Name the only Heisman winner to win the Heisman at one school after backing up a Heisman winner at another school. Bonus points for naming the schools and both Heisman winners. Cam Newton Florida /Auburn, and Tim Tebow/Florida Mr. Slippery.

13 Here's your lucky 13 extra credit question. . . In the 1973 Heisman vote. three players from The Ohio State University were among the top 6 vote getters, but none of the 3 won the award, John Cappelletti of Penn State was the winner, who were the 3 Buckeyes that finished in the top 6 vote getters that year ? John Hicks, 2nd, Archie Griffin,5th, and Randy Gradishar, 6th. - Bevo

I'll close with a strange fact that has nothing to do with the Heisman Trophy at all, but I found interesting nevertheless. If Ohio State would beat Clemson in the Fiesta Bowl later this month it would be the second time they would have won the Fiesta Bowl this year. They beat Notre Dame in January of 2016 and play Clemson in December of 2016.

JB
Old 12-11-16, 09:13 PM
All American

Lucky 13. for the Bucks!

The weather tonight - freezing rain and a moderate snow falling. More than we had at any one time last year. pretty!
Old 12-14-16, 11:00 AM
All Region

coldshoulder is on a distinguished road
Totally out of the blue, random one-trick NBA trivia question; name the following player:

I never actually played for them, but I was the Dallas Mavericks' first-ever, first-round draft pick.
Old 12-14-16, 11:25 AM
All American

Jim Jackson or the other guy he fought with for Toni Braxton.
Old 12-14-16, 12:24 PM
All Region

Jim Jackson and the "other guy" are both INCORRECT.
Old 12-14-16, 12:39 PM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
I feel like I know the answer to this question. The name is on the tip of my tongue. I remember the name is sort of out of the ordinary, but I can't place it yet.
Old 12-14-16, 02:50 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldshoulder View Post
Totally out of the blue, random one-trick NBA trivia question; name the following player:

I never actually played for them, but I was the Dallas Mavericks' first-ever, first-round draft pick.
From Depaul, 6"6 tweener from Chicago?
Old 12-14-16, 03:43 PM
All Region

DePaul's Mark Aguirre is INCORRECT.
Old 12-14-16, 03:58 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldshoulder View Post

I followed the NBA to a certain degree when I was younger, but I had no idea how long the Mavericks had been in existence. Had to look it up. Nice trivia question and answer.
Old 12-14-16, 04:04 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
I followed the NBA to a certain degree when I was younger, but I had no idea how long the Mavericks had been in existence. Had to look it up. Nice trivia question and answer.
Same here, Zunardo. Like you, after looking it up, my lips are hermetically sealed!
I was surprised as I didn't remember his being drafted by Dallas. He had a nice career.

Good question, coldshoulder!
Old 12-14-16, 07:19 PM
All American

Wasn't trying to be flippant; don't know a lot about the Mavs or their origin. Was it Jamal Mashburn - not the first draftee but the "other guy".

Obviously, didn't look it up. If there is a category beyond " I don't have a clue" that's where I am.

I am at work on my early NBA quiz, previously mentioned. May present this as self-scored. Take it one night, I'll post the answers the next night. Just wasn't sure if there would be enough interest. I'll run it out soon.
Old 12-14-16, 07:32 PM
All Region

The answer to my question is NOT Jamal Mashburn; and I don't believe he was the "other guy" you're thinking of, either.

Wasn't that Jason Kidd (along with Jim Jackson) who was competing for Toni Braxton's affections ? Eh, may be it was Mashburn?....I never really pay a whole lot of attention to stuff like that.
Old 12-14-16, 09:00 PM
All American

Yes, I believe it was Kidd; and, thus began Jim's 12-team odyssey.
Old 12-14-16, 09:12 PM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The singers on 8. and 10.

I have four pages of notes in color codes, arrows drawn everywhere, boxes, circles, blocks. It's been a great quiz. Stayed pretty hot Sunday - Thursday.

OWK would know these; maybe Diva; some other codger!
I'm taking a break from the Christmas cookies, candy, and gingerbread men over been baking for days in catch up.

Did Bevo just call me a codger? I did have a birthday last Friday but I don't think I'm that old yet!
Old 12-14-16, 09:23 PM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
I had to look it up and yes the gentleman has a very unique name.
Old 12-14-16, 10:17 PM
All American

That semi colon was meant to separate you or you could just be a "codgette".

Given that you have a daughter around 30, you have a ways to go before codger status.
Old 12-14-16, 10:27 PM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
Correction, my friend: Our eldest is 33, but I will never be a codger. I'm making sure of that. Getting up early to go swim my mile. I cycled today on my Cyclops.

It is stinkin' cold here in Upper Sandusky! Wind chill is -4!
Old 12-15-16, 08:45 AM
All Region

Gonna give it 24 hours, until this afternoon. Thanks to those whose curiosity led them to fire up the 'ol Google machine, but have kept their lips, or in this case, actually, fingertips, hermetically ?... (really?)....sealed.

Our good friend One Who Knows must be on a double secret employment mission of sorts....perhaps he's on Trump's transition team.... Cuz I thought for sure by now he'd chime in with the correct answer.

I used to love watching The Andy Griffith Show back in the 60's. Here's a classic, for those who have 5 extra minutes.:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: