Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
Old 06-17-19, 10:03 AM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure what's better for the Lakers with this trade, acquiring Anthony Davis, or getting rid of Lonzo Ball?

That said the Lakers still have alot of work to do. Davis gives them a really good player, but other than Kuzma, they've dumped the rest of their roster. I think the point that no one is bringing up is the decline in LeBron. He's not 2016 LeBron, not even close. He doesn't, can't play defense like he used to, and that is as much of the problem moving forward than his offense. His jump shooting has got better, but he still commands alot of minutes and wants the ball in his hands most of the time.
And we've been down this road before. Just last summer, when LeBron went to LA, talks of championships was all summer long. And we saw how that came about. Be careful listening to the "experts" they only talk about the Lakers because they are popular. Heck during the NBA playoffs we heard more about Lakers, Magic Johnson quitting and LeBron nonsense more than we heard about the eventual champions Raptors.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-19, 10:04 AM
All World

I'm not sure what's better for the Lakers with this trade, acquiring Anthony Davis, or getting rid of Lonzo Ball?

That said the Lakers still have alot of work to do. Davis gives them a really good player, but other than Kuzma, they've dumped the rest of their roster. I think the point that no one is bringing up is the decline in LeBron. He's not 2016 LeBron, not even close. He doesn't, can't play defense like he used to, and that is as much of the problem moving forward than his offense. His jump shooting has got better, but he still commands alot of minutes and wants the ball in his hands most of the time.
And we've been down this road before. Just last summer, when LeBron went to LA, talks of championships was all summer long. And we saw how that came about. Be careful listening to the "experts" they only talk about the Lakers because they are popular. Heck during the NBA playoffs we heard more about Lakers, Magic Johnson quitting and LeBron nonsense more than we heard about the eventual champions Raptors.
Old 06-17-19, 10:40 AM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
I think LeBron isn't quite what he was 3-4 years ago, but he's still awfully damn good. I'd expect to hear the term "load management" a lot over the next few regular seasons with him.

All that really matters for him and the Lakers is getting to the playoffs fully healthy. At that point we'll find out what he actually has left in the tank.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-19, 10:40 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post

I think LeBron will be back strong after all of the rest he's had. That's the only real rest he's had in years. 2016 LBJ, no, but a top 5 player.

I think the biggest issue will be those two figuring the other out. LeBron has flourished with shooters that create spacing. Davis can shoot from the outside, but he's not that type of player. The Lakers' personnel staff has a job ahead of them in filling out a successful roster.
Old 06-17-19, 05:13 PM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
He will never get along with someone that can score more and easier than him...BAM!
Old 06-17-19, 06:02 PM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Wondering what odds I can get on LeBron winning MVP? I bet they are really high considering he likely wont get a ton of minutes. But I figure anything over 15-1 is good value. He was around 4-1 to start the year for the 2018-2019 season
Old 06-18-19, 10:26 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
And if Klay decides decides he wants to play where his dad played ?
Can't see him leaving GS, though if he does join LA, that would certainly give them some much needed shooting.
Old 06-18-19, 10:36 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Wondering what odds I can get on LeBron winning MVP? I bet they are really high considering he likely wont get a ton of minutes. But I figure anything over 15-1 is good value. He was around 4-1 to start the year for the 2018-2019 season
The MVP moving forward is going to be an interesting debate. It's trendy now to take games off and only play 60-65 games. I think it can work against you in individual awards. At times, Joel Embiid was the most valuable player last season, but he missed too many games. Kawhi will never win a regular season MVP because he misses too many games.

Does this devalue the MVP award? Many criticize players who don't win championships or make deep playoff runs, when the MVP is a reflection of the regular season body of work.
Old 06-18-19, 10:50 AM
All Yappi

Read yesterday if the Davis trade goes through on July 6 which is when the NBA moratorium on deals opens up, the Lakers won't have enough money to offer a max deal to a FA. They would have to move another player like Mo Wagner which probably wouldn't be difficult to do. Instead of going for Kemba, they could get several vets on $10 mill deals instead to help fill out the roster. Will be interesting to see how this whole off-season goes.
Old 06-19-19, 08:33 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Read yesterday if the Davis trade goes through on July 6 which is when the NBA moratorium on deals opens up, the Lakers won't have enough money to offer a max deal to a FA. They would have to move another player like Mo Wagner which probably wouldn't be difficult to do. Instead of going for Kemba, they could get several vets on $10 mill deals instead to help fill out the roster. Will be interesting to see how this whole off-season goes.
Kemba Walker is a volume shooter...his career stats...41% shooter, 35% 3 point shooter.
LeBron and AD will be 1-2 on shot attempts for the Lakers, with Kuzma likely being #3. You bring in a guy like Walker who shoots alot, and it simply will not work. Walker is also 6-1, so he's going to have some issues defensively. With LeBron on the floor, you have a lesser defender already. Remember, this is 2019 LeBron, he's not played defense the last couple of seasons, he can't.

The smart move for the Lakers is to get several vets, but the more people you put with LeBron, they more issues you can have.

And yes, it's going to be interesting.
Old 06-19-19, 08:40 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Can't see him leaving GS, though if he does join LA, that would certainly give them some much needed shooting.
He may even like a share of the limelight back if Durant goes elsewhere.

The top shelf perimeter D would make up for the streaky shooting, if he did go to LA.
Old 06-19-19, 08:41 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think the Lakers would be better off with two or three good role players (think PJ Tucker) rather than one max guy like Kemba or Jimmy Butler to fill out the roster
Old 06-19-19, 08:46 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
The NBA really needs a hard salary cap, and it needs to be able to extend the reckoning of its mandated players/owners revenue sharing requirements to the G League payrolls. The players and a few agents are going to ruin the game.

I truly believe that the Globetrotters v. Generals dynamic of superteams can kill interest in the game, but what do I know. I can't believe that they can get people to buy tickets for regular season walk-through games at the prices they get.
Old 06-19-19, 11:13 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
He may even like a share of the limelight back if Durant goes elsewhere.

The top shelf perimeter D would make up for the streaky shooting, if he did go to LA.
He's stated he wants to stay in GS and if they offer him the max they can give - which they've stated they'll do - I would imagine he'll stay put.
Old 06-19-19, 11:15 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
I think the Lakers would be better off with two or three good role players (think PJ Tucker) rather than one max guy like Kemba or Jimmy Butler to fill out the roster
I would 100% agree. Fill it out with 3-and-D guys like Tucker, Ariza, etc. Not sure who will be available come July but another max player vs. 2 or 3 guys who fit that 3-and-D role is probably a bad idea LAL.
Old 06-19-19, 11:21 AM
All Yappi

I'd have to agree that loading up on $8-10M 3 & D guys makes more sense for the Lakers than adding another max salary. The only legit max salary guy that I'd love on that team is Klay, who'll probably miss most if not all of next season anyway. Adding another ball dominant guy, especially if they're questionably efficient, would probably not be great. Anthony Davis is too good to be forced into a spot-up shooter role offensively, and I'd expect a rapid fallout.

Old 06-19-19, 02:38 PM
All World

Quote:
The NBA really needs a hard salary cap, and it needs to be able to extend the reckoning of its mandated players/owners revenue sharing requirements to the G League payrolls. The players and a few agents are going to ruin the game.

I truly believe that the Globetrotters v. Generals dynamic of superteams can kill interest in the game, but what do I know. I can't believe that they can get people to buy tickets for regular season walk-through games at the prices they get.
It really doesn't matter what form of payment you have for the players, the league has changes in player attitude more than anything else. There was a time when a player was drafted, was that franchises #1 player and stayed. Pre 2010, there's very few instances where a team's best player left.

I think the NBA will be fine, yes there may come a day when a few guys try to start their own league, but they rarely work. The NBA has a very good group of young stars right now and more continue to come out.
Old 06-19-19, 10:11 PM
All Yappi

Sounds like 14red gets his wish no more lavar on ESPN anymore.
Old 06-19-19, 10:12 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
It really doesn't matter what form of payment you have for the players, the league has changes in player attitude more than anything else. There was a time when a player was drafted, was that franchises #1 player and stayed. Pre 2010, there's very few instances where a team's best player left.

I think the NBA will be fine, yes there may come a day when a few guys try to start their own league, but they rarely work. The NBA has a very good group of young stars right now and more continue to come out.
Yeah before 2010 nobody ever left their original team in FA
Old 06-20-19, 08:33 AM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Couldn't agree more. MLB, too. 100% guaranteed money is insane. Look at contracts like Miguel Cabrera and Chris Paul. Ludicrous. Hell, even Jason Kipnis' $14 million this year is a travesty.

The NFL's model is the best one, by far, but the unions are so strong in the NBA and MLB that only a complete shutdown by the owners - and I mean for an entire year and beyond, if necessary - is the only way to rein in that runaway train. However, I think we all know there isn't enough resolve on their part to swallow that bitter pill.
Old 06-20-19, 08:34 AM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He ain't the only one. Finally...a decision by ESPN that makes sense.
Old 06-20-19, 10:40 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Only took him sexually harassing the First Take host on live TV.
Old 06-20-19, 12:45 PM
All World

Quote:
Don't worry, Fox/ Colin Cowherd has welcomed him with open arms.

This may be the best decision ESPN has made in years though...
Old 06-20-19, 12:50 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedevil View Post
Couldn't agree more. MLB, too. 100% guaranteed money is insane. Look at contracts like Miguel Cabrera and Chris Paul. Ludicrous. Hell, even Jason Kipnis' $14 million this year is a travesty.

The NFL's model is the best one, by far, but the unions are so strong in the NBA and MLB that only a complete shutdown by the owners - and I mean for an entire year and beyond, if necessary - is the only way to rein in that runaway train. However, I think we all know there isn't enough resolve on their part to swallow that bitter pill.
Depends on who's side you're on. The players/ union would say that because they feel they are the draw, THEY should get a certain percentage of the profits. Baseball rakes in the money not because it's popular, but because there is so much product. 162 games, all televised, along with national broadcasts just keeps the money coming in.
Oddly, basketball is considering less games? How can you justify paying the guys the same for less games?

I'm amazed the NFL hasn't got any closer to guaranteed contracts, but the issue there is the number of players and they roster changes. There are so few guys who play more than a few years in the NFL.
Old 06-20-19, 12:52 PM
All World

Quote:
Only took him sexually harassing the First Take host on live TV.
Not only that, it was Jalen Rose's wife! Imagine that awkward conversation. Then again, I would't put it past ESPN, the NBA and Levar all being in cahoots and scripting this whole thing.
Old 06-20-19, 05:23 PM
All Yappi

The Pels have traded that Lakers pick (#4) to the Hawks for picks #8, #17 and #35 in tonight's draft....I imagine that David Griffin isn't finished wheeling and dealing yet for tonight.

Old 06-20-19, 06:05 PM
All Yappi

I thought Griffin turned down 8 and 10. I guess he wanted more picks as opposed to those two
Old 06-20-19, 07:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I thought Griffin turned down 8 and 10. I guess he wanted more picks as opposed to those two
He also got next year's protected 1st from the Cavs (which Atlanta had acquired for Korver)
Old 06-20-19, 07:36 PM
All Yappi

I love the Jaxson Hayes pick for the Pelicans. Perfect compliment in the post to Zion. I think he has elite potential as a rim protector and as a pick and roll lob guy.

Old 06-20-19, 07:57 PM
All Yappi

Agreed. Should be a great fit with Zion, and Lonzo as well.

Congrats to Jaxson of Archbishop Moeller High School