Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-07-19, 12:52 PM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
My eye test saying Senzel is the best CF this team has had in 10+ years. While not elite on defense, he is above average. He has the speed to cover most hits to CF and has sound fundamentals out there. At the plate, he has enough power, good swing, makes good contact and is a good base runner. The guy has it all.
I don't trust your eyes... and how about we just allow the kid to play for a season or two before we make a bunch of assessments??
Great start for the kid, no doubt, glad we have him. But 4 games does not a career make. Contact?? Yes the 3 home runs are nice, but he has struck out 7 times in 21 plate appearances. Just like a young pitcher, he'll need to make the adjustments as teams make adjustments to him. Scott Schebler had alot of success a few years back until the league figured him out.

I do like that the kid sees alot of pitches. As for now, our outfield seems to be set with Winker, Senzel and Puig. I think you'll see Dietrich rotate days off from 3rd, 2nd, 1st and LF. He's got to stay in the lineup somehow.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-19, 01:50 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
I don't trust your eyes... and how about we just allow the kid to play for a season or two before we make a bunch of assessments??
Great start for the kid, no doubt, glad we have him. But 4 games does not a career make. Contact?? Yes the 3 home runs are nice, but he has struck out 7 times in 21 plate appearances. Just like a young pitcher, he'll need to make the adjustments as teams make adjustments to him. Scott Schebler had alot of success a few years back until the league figured him out.

I do like that the kid sees alot of pitches. As for now, our outfield seems to be set with Winker, Senzel and Puig. I think you'll see Dietrich rotate days off from 3rd, 2nd, 1st and LF. He's got to stay in the lineup somehow.
Well, Hamilton has 0 hrs and 24 ks, so....
Old 05-07-19, 02:05 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur is on a distinguished road
Quote:

They are more trustworthy than your eyes.

No.
Old 05-07-19, 03:21 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
My eye test saying Senzel is the best CF this team has had in 10+ years. While not elite on defense, he is above average. He has the speed to cover most hits to CF and has sound fundamentals out there. At the plate, he has enough power, good swing, makes good contact and is a good base runner. The guy has it all.
We'll find out how good Senzel is after a year or two. Right now, yeah, he looks great (and I think he's going to have a fine career, based on what we've seen as of now).
However, I'm not a believer in making judgements about players based on a very small sample size.
As for my vote for the top CF the Reds have had in 10 years? Hands down, Shin Soo-Choo in 2013.
Old 05-08-19, 07:39 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Well, Hamilton has 0 hrs and 24 ks, so....
In the past 10 years, Hamilton has 365 runs scored, 277 stolen bases and played centerfield at a gold glove level.

Let's let the kid get settled in and put some numbers up, check back with me in 2024. Barring injury, yes, he SHOULD have a good to great career, but we hear these things all the time.
Old 05-08-19, 07:41 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
We'll find out how good Senzel is after a year or two. Right now, yeah, he looks great (and I think he's going to have a fine career, based on what we've seen as of now).
However, I'm not a believer in making judgements about players based on a very small sample size.
As for my vote for the top CF the Reds have had in 10 years? Hands down, Shin Soo-Choo in 2013.
Choo had 1 year with the Reds. One year better than 7? Nah, I'll stick with Billy. And even if you like Choo, can't be hands down. Incredible how you guys watch baseball. And Choo wasn't even a centerfielder anyway, he was a liability in the centerfield.
Old 05-08-19, 07:56 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Choo had 1 year with the Reds. One year better than 7? Nah, I'll stick with Billy. And even if you like Choo, can't be hands down. Incredible how you guys watch baseball. And Choo wasn't even a centerfielder anyway, he was a liability in the centerfield.
Agreed, being around longer automatically makes you better. I mean who was a better pitcher for the Reds? The guy who was only here for 3 years but posted a 33-16 (67.3%) record with an ERA of 3.31 and a WHIP of 1.179 or the guy who was around for 8 years and posted a record of 105-94 (52.8%) record with an ERA of 4.05 and a WHIP 1.268?

Choo played 150 games in centerfield and 3 in left field for the Reds that year. He was a centerfielder for the Reds. No wonder you never have any idea what you're talking about, you're watching something else thinking it's a Reds game!
Old 05-08-19, 11:34 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
2013 Choo had an OBP of .423 with 21 HR, 20 SB, and 107 Runs scored. Billy never approached 100 runs scored, because his OBP was garbage. That is clearly the best CF season for a Red in recent memory. Hands down.

In his 160 career games as a CF, he made 5 errors, fielding percentage .987. 9 OF assists. Exact opposite of a liability.

Incredible how you watch baseball.
Old 05-08-19, 02:43 PM
All American

Quote:
Your opinion is not a surprise. It was the same opinion you were espousing back when the Reds signed Choo, saying repeatedly that Drew Stubbs was the better player.

Oh, those JJHuddle days were great, weren't they?
Old 05-08-19, 04:10 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
In the past 10 years, Hamilton has 365 runs scored, 277 stolen bases and played centerfield at a gold glove level.

Let's let the kid get settled in and put some numbers up, check back with me in 2024. Barring injury, yes, he SHOULD have a good to great career, but we hear these things all the time.
So you are saying Billy averages under 37 runs scored per season and zero gold gloves? Do you think that is good?
Old 05-08-19, 04:12 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
Your opinion is not a surprise. It was the same opinion you were espousing back when the Reds signed Choo, saying repeatedly that Drew Stubbs was the better player.

Oh, those JJHuddle days were great, weren't they?
Drew Stubbs. Figures 14stepchild was a Stubbs fan.
Old 05-08-19, 06:24 PM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Quote:

How many gold gloves?
Old 05-09-19, 10:45 AM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
How many gold gloves?
"Gold glove level". It's one of those highly ambiguous and subjective terms to describe someone who's not actually accomplished winning the award.
Old 05-09-19, 03:10 PM
All American

The concern with Hamilton was never about his defense. He is indisputably an outstanding CF. He's also a good base stealer. Those are his strengths.
The problem, of course, which 14Red repeatedly overlooks, is that he has never 1) hit well enough to produce runs, and 2) gotten on base enough to make his speed enough of a weapon.
Both of those problems vastly outweigh his abilities as a CF, according to the lack of interest in him by all (but one) of the teams in MLB.
Old 05-09-19, 07:15 PM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
"Gold glove level". It's one of those highly ambiguous and subjective terms to describe someone who's not actually accomplished winning the award.
14red lives on those terms
Old 05-10-19, 11:13 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
So you are saying Billy averages under 37 runs scored per season and zero gold gloves? Do you think that is good?
Well, to be more precise than 14Red is, Billy has scored those runs in about 7 seasons. so he averages over 50 per season. Still not great...
Old 05-12-19, 07:04 AM
All Ohio

PeterDragon is on a distinguished road
I was gonna say Hamilton hasn't been in the bigs for 10 years...Then I considered the source.
Old 05-12-19, 07:35 AM
All American

Reds' bullpen works 5 innings -- 0 runs, 1 hit, striking out 8 of the last 10 batters.
A nice night's work.
Old 05-12-19, 11:32 AM
All World

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
If they would only start hitting , pitching starting and bullpen seems to be much improved and now the hitting has left the ballpark. That is the difference between being on the top or the bottom of the list, bottom is lacking something and top has it all.
Old 05-12-19, 12:35 PM
All World

Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
If they would only start hitting , pitching starting and bullpen seems to be much improved and now the hitting has left the ballpark. That is the difference between being on the top or the bottom of the list, bottom is lacking something and top has it all.
Against the Giants, in the early innings, they look like the best hitting team in baseball. It’s weird to see them knock the cover off the ball the first 3 Innings against one team, then go totally cold.
Old 05-12-19, 01:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
Well, to be more precise than 14Red is, Billy has scored those runs in about 7 seasons. so he averages over 50 per season. Still not great...
Oh, I knew he screwed it up, but used his numbers anyway.
Old 05-12-19, 01:42 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDragon View Post
I was gonna say Hamilton hasn't been in the bigs for 10 years...Then I considered the source.
I let him have his “Germans bombed Pearl Harbor” moment.
Old 05-12-19, 03:40 PM
All World

Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
So bizarre how the Reds just tee off on Giants Pitching early in games.
Old 05-13-19, 09:43 AM
All World

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
The Reds are now 6-13 in one run games. How much are Managerial moves impacting that record?
Old 05-13-19, 09:55 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
The Reds are now 6-13 in one run games. How much are Managerial moves impacting that record?
This isn't just the current managerial problem. On sporstsquak last week they were talking about it over the last 5-7 years or so and they have like a .350% in those games and the next worse in baseball was like .450.

Give or take a few %, but the points are valid as its been a systemic issue in the last 5-7 yaers.
Old 05-13-19, 10:32 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
This isn't just the current managerial problem. On sporstsquak last week they were talking about it over the last 5-7 years or so and they have like a .350% in those games and the next worse in baseball was like .450.

Give or take a few %, but the points are valid as its been a systemic issue in the last 5-7 yaers.
That is an incredible stat, if true. I will do some digging around.

Assuming it is true, what do they mean by "systematic"? The organization drafts players that choke? Ownership and management are OK with losing close games? I'd love to know what they mean by that word. Sounds like nonsense.

It all boils down to 2 things IMO. Manager decisions and players performing.
- Iglesias has blown 4 games late
- Yesterday was Hernandez' turn
- I've pointed out a few questionable Bell decisions earlier in the season on this thread.

Yesterday, again, MadBum was pitching, so Bell loads up the lineup with righties. Barnhart, Winker, Dietrich, VanMeter on the bench. So when Bell needs a PH against the Lefty closer, he has no one from the right side. Poor planning.
Old 05-13-19, 12:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
That is an incredible stat, if true. I will do some digging around.

Assuming it is true, what do they mean by "systematic"? The organization drafts players that choke? Ownership and management are OK with losing close games? I'd love to know what they mean by that word. Sounds like nonsense.

It all boils down to 2 things IMO. Manager decisions and players performing.
- Iglesias has blown 4 games late
- Yesterday was Hernandez' turn
- I've pointed out a few questionable Bell decisions earlier in the season on this thread.

Yesterday, again, MadBum was pitching, so Bell loads up the lineup with righties. Barnhart, Winker, Dietrich, VanMeter on the bench. So when Bell needs a PH against the Lefty closer, he has no one from the right side. Poor planning.
Took a bit of looking on Mcallister's tweeter account but here it is:

Worst Record in One-Run Games since 2014
Reds 90-157 (.364)
Rays 114-141 (.447)
Twins 93-115 (.447)
Blue Jays 104-124 (.456)
White Sox 119-135 (.469)
Old 05-13-19, 12:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Took a bit of looking on Mcallister's tweeter account but here it is:

Worst Record in One-Run Games since 2014
Reds 90-157 (.364)
Rays 114-141 (.447)
Twins 93-115 (.447)
Blue Jays 104-124 (.456)
White Sox 119-135 (.469)
3 different managers.
Quite a bit of turnover from year to year.

That is a pretty big gap between worst and second worst considered 2-5 is just .020 apart.
Old 05-14-19, 09:07 AM
All World

This is such an interesting start to the year for this Reds team.
Pros...
-the starting pitching has done a 180 from the past few years. This starting staff has been excellent.
-the bullpen, while having some bumps, has been overall really good
-the team has played on the west coast twice, and have played the most road games in all of baseball
-no Scooter

Cons
-while better recently, this team has not hit anywhere near expected. Votto is hitting .207
-Can this starting staff, who, other than Roark is relatively young, keep this pace up?
-this team relies alot on the long ball

The team has alot of home games coming up and with teams in the division. I think every team in the division has been in first place except the Reds. The Cardinals, who were in first place last week, is now in 4th. The Cubs seem to have things figured out. But largely everyone in the division has been up and down so far.
Old 05-15-19, 10:19 PM
All Yappi

Good 1 run win tonight.

I am always looking at teaching moments and the game winning hit was another one I could talk to the boy about.

Anyone heard of Merkle's Boner...…...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: