Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-30-18, 03:15 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
I think you're severely understating the amount of interest there would be from EVERY feeder school should a public the equivalent of WH opening up on the Westside.
Perhaps. I hope otherwise.
Old 08-30-18, 03:40 PM
All District

Falcon11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Perhaps. I hope otherwise.
I think so too. While westside kids can go to Walnut, it is a long bus ride and you're not very close for any after school functions (sports/clubs/etc.). A lot of kids who are on the fence might take a shot with a free option that is closer to home. Mercy's location is also more central to the westside community than Elder and Seton are. A shorter drive for sure for kids from OHLSD (barring some parts of eastern Delhi).

I also agree that it is a BIG "if" ("if" this new school can get to the level of Walnut). Walnut got it's reputation after years and years of achievement - I would guess it might take awhile for a new school to have that kind of reputation - but being a free option with decent teachers and a nice class selection will get some westside kids for sure.

Also, as others said, better public schools will only help the westside. Hyde Park and Oakley being so close to Walnut definitely is an advantage for those neighborhoods. Kilgour is a big feeder for Walnut I think.
Old 08-31-18, 11:45 AM
All District

Stinkythumbs
I don't know all the particulars of how public schools enrollment works, but with Walnut being a Cincinnati Public School, don't you have to live within the city limits to attend? Wouldn't this be the same case with a Walnut Hills west?
Old 08-31-18, 11:59 AM
All Ohio

CincyHSfootball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkythumbs View Post
I don't know all the particulars of how public schools enrollment works, but with Walnut being a Cincinnati Public School, don't you have to live within the city limits to attend? Wouldn't this be the same case with a Walnut Hills west?
No. A few years back they went to open enrollment. Before that you had to live within the city to get free tuition. If you were outside you had to pay $12,000 to attend. They had over 200 students outside the city limits who were paying tuition at that time.

Since going to open enrollment students living within the city limits get first consideration for attendance. They now have a waiting list of about 400 - 500 students wanting to get in. The school is overcrowded by their standards. That is why the move for a Walnut Hills West campus. My wife has family members whose kids went there and they were very involved in the school.
Old 09-11-18, 11:24 AM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
The old cowboy hat sign at the Arby's on Glenway was removed recently. It was replaced by a smaller sign with the newer Arby's logo.
Old 09-23-18, 06:23 PM
Freshman

Melody is on a distinguished road
The Wingstop on Glenway permanently closed.... the signs on the door say they are "moving" to Madison Rd. in Oakley
Old 09-24-18, 07:03 AM
All District

foreword is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody View Post
The Wingstop on Glenway permanently closed.... the signs on the door say they are "moving" to Madison Rd. in Oakley
There was a Wingstop on Glenway?
Old 09-25-18, 04:29 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreword View Post
There was a Wingstop on Glenway?
Yep in the old Blockbuster/Orange Leaf location. Never went in though
Old 09-25-18, 04:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
The old cowboy hat sign at the Arby's on Glenway was removed recently. It was replaced by a smaller sign with the newer Arby's logo.
Speaking of old neon signs, the Western Bowl sign is in pretty poor shape. Would hate to see it torn down
Old 09-27-18, 06:53 PM
All Yappi

Delhi Par 3 golf course announced on facebook they will be closing for good this fall. So the West side loses another golf course.
Old 09-27-18, 08:17 PM
All Yappi

Unfortunately, golf courses are closing all over the city and country. (In the past 10-15 years, both the Kingswood and Western Row courses in the Mason area closed.)

Hopefully at the very least this land will become a new housing development or another township park.
Old 09-27-18, 10:54 PM
All American

polar panther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
Unfortunately, golf courses are closing all over the city and country. (In the past 10-15 years, both the Kingswood and Western Row courses in the Mason area closed.)

Hopefully at the very least this land will become a new housing development or another township park.
I think I remember someone mentioning on Facebook today that the land was bought or in the process of being bought by Dennis Ott, so that would mean new homes. Storywoods park is just down the street, so a park is doubtful
Old 09-28-18, 05:07 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar panther View Post
I think I remember someone mentioning on Facebook today that the land was bought or in the process of being bought by Dennis Ott, so that would mean new homes. Storywoods park is just down the street, so a park is doubtful
Yes I think the same person said the greenhouse next door was purchased by a builder as well
Old 09-29-18, 01:19 PM
All World

I don't want to go all PBoy and start a boycott or anything, but what the hell is Mimi Hart thinking? Right in the heart of Elder's territory, right next to St. Teresa, she puts up two Purcell Marian open house signs. Her girls went to Seton I believe and her and her ex-inlaws have always been Elder supporters and now they are promoting Purcell?

I don't get it. Maybe she would say that "someone simply asked". I would hope though that, as a neighborhood business, they would support neighborhood institutions like Elder and Seton, rather than a school competing with them across town in Walnut Hills.
Old 09-29-18, 02:17 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't want to go all PBoy and start a boycott or anything, but what the hell is Mimi Hart thinking? Right in the heart of Elder's territory, right next to St. Teresa, she puts up two Purcell Marian open house signs. Her girls went to Seton I believe and her and her ex-inlaws have always been Elder supporters and now they are promoting Purcell?

I don't get it. Maybe she would say that "someone simply asked". I would hope though that, as a neighborhood business, they would support neighborhood institutions like Elder and Seton, rather than a school competing with them across town in Walnut Hills.
Perhaps a long time customer did asked her to put them up? Maybe a grandson is a current PM Student having a good experience. Perhaps a long time customer or family member is now employed at PM. Obviously she still believes in the Catholic education which is a good thing these days.
Old 09-29-18, 02:52 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
Perhaps a long time customer did asked her to put them up?
Maybe, but I would wager the great majority of her customers would not support her doing so and some might just be upset by it. Elder is fighting to keep the kids in the neighborhood who would consider going to Purcell. It would be nice if that effort was supported by all of the highly visible local businesses. But, of course she can do with her business as she wishes. I am sure she would also put an Elder and Seton sign in her windows.
Old 09-29-18, 03:03 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Maybe, but I would wager the great majority of her customers would not support her doing so and some might just be upset by it. Elder is fighting to keep the kids in the neighborhood who would consider going to Purcell. It would be nice if that effort was supported by all of the highly visible local businesses. But, of course she can do with her business as she wishes. I am sure she would also put an Elder and Seton sign in her windows.
Right. If your a customer ask her. If Elder employees support that business they can ask. I heard the Elder Admissions Director say on PSRN last night that they are really stepping up efforts to recruit the Price Hill area for perspective students. Iím almost positive she would put up an Elder/Seton sign if approached by someone like him or another Elder employee.
Old 09-29-18, 10:21 PM
All American

polar panther is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Not saying this is the case here, but Purcell Marian is a school that does have a very good special needs program. Perhaps the Hart family or someone who works there has a special needs student.
Old 09-30-18, 08:47 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar panther View Post
Not saying this is the case here, but Purcell Marian is a school that does have a very good special needs program. Perhaps the Hart family or someone who works there has a special needs student.
Possibly. It was just a shock to see P/M signs at an old and established business at Prout's Corner. Elder really needs those young men who might otherwise consider P/M.
Old 09-30-18, 01:14 PM
All American

Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
Right. If your a customer ask her. If Elder employees support that business they can ask. I heard the Elder Admissions Director say on PSRN last night that they are really stepping up efforts to recruit the Price Hill area for perspective students. Iím almost positive she would put up an Elder/Seton sign if approached by someone like him or another Elder employee.
Heard that too. Thereís a certain 8th grader at Oyler that should be at the forefront of that initiative.
Old 09-30-18, 01:17 PM
All American

Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Also, if these are the Harts with kids who went to Dominic, I think (don’t quote me) one of them went to X.

As others mentioned, PM has very good special needs program. There was even a kid I went to Dominic with who went there for that reason.
Old 10-02-18, 07:52 AM
All Yappi

An update on the construction along Queen City: https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news...raffic-pattern
Old 10-02-18, 08:08 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Also, if these are the Harts with kids who went to Dominic, I think (donít quote me) one of them went to X.

As others mentioned, PM has very good special needs program. There was even a kid I went to Dominic with who went there for that reason.
Mimi's kids were Perrios as in Tim Perrino's children.
Old 10-02-18, 08:59 AM
All American

Visitation_Football
Quote:

I've never seen that place support Elder. In the past I've only seen St X signs and now this year Purcell signs.

Last edited by Visitation_Football; 10-02-18 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-02-18, 09:00 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I doubt it given a great number of the customers have been going there for years and know where the Harts send their kids to high school. I worked there for a while and they were always supportive of Catholic education regardless of the school.
Old 10-02-18, 12:22 PM
All American

CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:

The girls went to Ursula, not Seton. I am unsure of the connection with Purcell, however she was a professor at UC, may still be, and I am sure has customers, family and friends who support a number of different high schools. Meanwhile, I know of no connection she would have to Elder, grandchildren are all too young at this point. Also, I am almost positive Mimi is retired.
Old 10-02-18, 01:13 PM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Do we really care if the local pharmacist supports Elder? Some of you seem to think it's their obligation to.

I don't get it.
Old 10-02-18, 01:46 PM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
The new McAllister's in Dent is doing a booming business. Let's hope it keeps up so we can get more good choices.
Old 10-02-18, 01:55 PM
All American

Visitation_Football
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post
The girls went to Ursula, not Seton. I am unsure of the connection with Purcell, however she was a professor at UC, may still be, and I am sure has customers, family and friends who support a number of different high schools. Meanwhile, I know of no connection she would have to Elder, grandchildren are all too young at this point. Also, I am almost positive Mimi is retired.
Yeah Ursula and X supporters is what I've always heard. I know nothing about them, but others I've talked to over the years have told me they are not Elder supporters at all.
Old 10-02-18, 01:59 PM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitation_Football View Post
Yeah Ursula and X supporters is what I've always heard. I know nothing about them, but others I've talked to over the years have told me they are not Elder supporters at all.
Then they told you wrong.