Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-18-18, 03:40 PM
All World

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Is this an attempt to resurrect his starting career, or a chance to showcase him for trade purposes?? Best of luck to him.
And another good bat in the lineup.
It's an attempt to appease him. He wants to start. The Reds aren't trying to win so why not?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-18, 04:21 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
FINALLY!!! Lorenzen gets a start tonight.
Bat him 4th!
Old 09-18-18, 04:34 PM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Yeah, the reds just arenít going to spend money on two legit TOR starters, thatís just asinine to expect. What they can do, is look at how the Rays had success this year by unconventionally managing their rotation by having a planned pitching relay. This strategy could be effective in Cincinnati as we seem to have a glut of guys who can effectively go full-out 2-3 innings.
I have heard it thrown around. More so in the beginning of the season when quality starts were truly few and far between and the bullpen was really racking up innings. Basically a start by committee. Don't really need an ace in that model. We seem to have a plethora of guys who are good for about 1 time through the lineup.
Old 09-19-18, 08:55 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice start by Lorenzen, not really sure what the difference is between him starting and going 4 innings/ 50 pitches and throwing innings 4-5-6....
Old 09-19-18, 10:53 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Nice start by Lorenzen, not really sure what the difference is between him starting and going 4 innings/ 50 pitches and throwing innings 4-5-6....
The HUGE difference is that he is frequently pitching innings 4-5-6 when we are trailing 6-1 after another sad outing by a lesser pitcher. A waste of one of your best pitchers.

And as for the "this is to appease him" comment by Indiandad, maybe so. But more likely someone finally woke up, looked at the numbers and said "hey, this guy is one of our 4-5 best pitchers. Let's put him in the rotation." If he doesn't get a fair shot at the rotation next spring, it is pure stupidity.

I've said it a hundred times, give your best pitchers more innings so that they can have the biggest impact on winning. it is not rocket science.
Old 09-19-18, 10:56 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Lorenzen definitely should get more innings than Romano and probably more at bats than Hamilton.
Old 09-19-18, 11:31 AM
All World

Quote:
The HUGE difference is that he is frequently pitching innings 4-5-6 when we are trailing 6-1 after another sad outing by a lesser pitcher. A waste of one of your best pitchers.

And as for the "this is to appease him" comment by Indiandad, maybe so. But more likely someone finally woke up, looked at the numbers and said "hey, this guy is one of our 4-5 best pitchers. Let's put him in the rotation." If he doesn't get a fair shot at the rotation next spring, it is pure stupidity.

I've said it a hundred times, give your best pitchers more innings so that they can have the biggest impact on winning. it is not rocket science.
I believe Lorenzen started the season on the DL.
Old 09-20-18, 06:26 AM
All World

The Reds have a bunch of 2 pitch pitchers. This is why the 3rd time thru the lineup they get hammered. It's also a league wide issue. I saw an article that said the Diamondbacks lead the league in highest average innings from starters at 5.7. The Reds get 5.1 per.
Old 09-20-18, 07:56 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
The Reds have a bunch of 2 pitch pitchers. This is why the 3rd time thru the lineup they get hammered. It's also a league wide issue. I saw an article that said the Diamondbacks lead the league in highest average innings from starters at 5.7. The Reds get 5.1 per.
I think you'll see teams continue to use the bullpen sooner and sooner. Metrics say that the opponents batting average continues to climb as a pitcher goes through the lineup more.
The whole pitch count thing just keeps kids from developing any stamina or other pitches.
Old 09-20-18, 10:13 AM
All World

Matt Harvey keeps getting more available with each start.
Old 09-20-18, 11:15 AM
All Ohio

I don't know what is meant by "getting more available with each start". please explain.

He had 3 good starts in the middle of August, then a terrible one. Then 3 decent starts to begin Sept, then last night's stinker. How do you mean "more available"?

Do you mean the Reds should be less likely to want to keep him and pay him? So he is more available to other teams? I hope that is the case.
Old 09-20-18, 04:08 PM
All World

Quote:
I don't know what is meant by "getting more available with each start". please explain.

He had 3 good starts in the middle of August, then a terrible one. Then 3 decent starts to begin Sept, then last night's stinker. How do you mean "more available"?

Do you mean the Reds should be less likely to want to keep him and pay him? So he is more available to other teams? I hope that is the case.
Is there a price at which you'd be willing to sign Harvey for 2 yrs?
Old 09-20-18, 04:41 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
First off, let me admit that I know nothing about what comparable pitchers currently earn, so take what I say with that in mind.

MH has clearly gotten better as a pitcher during his time with the Reds. His ERA (starting @ 7.00 with the Mets) has gotten better each month since then, with each month registering in the 4 range and going lower each month. I see him as a dependable starter who knows how to pitch and can serve as an example to some of the younger guys.

What would I offer? Since he's a free agent, I would offer in the neighborhood of $10 million since the price for decent starting pitching has become a joke. If that's not good enough, then so be it.
Old 09-20-18, 04:54 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
First off, let me admit that I know nothing about what comparable pitchers currently earn, so take what I say with that in mind.

MH has clearly gotten better as a pitcher during his time with the Reds. His ERA (starting @ 7.00 with the Mets) has gotten better each month since then, with each month registering in the 4 range and going lower each month. I see him as a dependable starter who knows how to pitch and can serve as an example to some of the younger guys.

What would I offer? Since he's a free agent, I would offer in the neighborhood of $10 million since the price for decent starting pitching has become a joke. If that's not good enough, then so be it.
I would add that the Reds should sign him at that only if they have added 2 TOR pitchers either in FA or by trade. Harvey makes sense as a #4 or #5 starter on a contender.
Old 09-21-18, 08:32 AM
All World

Quote:

Let's face it, if Harvey was lights out and pitched great, the Reds would have 0 shot at resigning him. He'd go to LA/ Chicago or Boston and sign a $150 mill contract.

However, with him being up and down, the Reds have a chance of possibly signing him to team friendly, one year deal and he may end up working out. In no case do I sign him long term.
Old 09-21-18, 11:23 AM
All Ohio

OK I agree with all that. Sign him only for the right price, short-term, and only if you are trying to win next year. He is not an ace but he could be a valuable middle of rotation (3-4) in my opinion.

What is the right price? No more than $6-8M per year for 1-2 years IMO. If he wants more, wish him good luck elsewhere.

Want to hear something interesting?

Current contracts of studs:
- Kluber - may win another Cy Young - making 7.7M per year on his contract which ends 2020.
- Sale - dominant when healthy - making 6.5M per year, contract ends 2020
- Bumgardner - 7M per year - ends 2020
- DeGrom - 7.4M per year - ends 2021

Bargains!
Old 09-21-18, 01:30 PM
All American

Quote:
OK I agree with all that. Sign him only for the right price, short-term, and only if you are trying to win next year. He is not an ace but he could be a valuable middle of rotation (3-4) in my opinion.

What is the right price? No more than $6-8M per year for 1-2 years IMO. If he wants more, wish him good luck elsewhere.

Want to hear something interesting?

Current contracts of studs:
- Kluber - may win another Cy Young - making 7.7M per year on his contract which ends 2020.
- Sale - dominant when healthy - making 6.5M per year, contract ends 2020
- Bumgardner - 7M per year - ends 2020
- DeGrom - 7.4M per year - ends 2021

Bargains!
Where did you get your information?
According to spotrac and baseball-reference, those salaries aren't even close!
I would suggest you re-check your sources.
Old 09-21-18, 01:47 PM
All American

Here are some links to those contracts:
Kluber https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/clevelan...y-kluber-8504/
2018 salary is $10,700,000 2019 salary is $15,200,000

Sale https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/boston-r...ris-sale-7278/
2018 salary is $12,500,000 2019 salary is $15,000,000 (club option)

Bumgarner https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/san-fran...umgarner-7510/
2018 salary is $12,000,000 2019 salary is $12,000,000 (club option)

DeGrom's info is accurate.

Last edited by Monclova Steve; 09-21-18 at 02:00 PM..
Old 09-21-18, 03:21 PM
All World

Quote:
Where did you get your information?
According to spotrac and baseball-reference, those salaries aren't even close!
I would suggest you re-check your sources.
Those were probably average salaries over the life of the contracts.
Old 09-21-18, 03:25 PM
All World

Matt Harvey: 2 yrs/$19M 3rd yr team option for $14M with $2M buyout.

Anyone else care to guess?

I'd be Ok with a deal like this if he is rounding out a contending rotation.
Old 09-21-18, 04:34 PM
All American

Quote:
Those were probably average salaries over the life of the contracts.
If that's the case, then the numbers are irrelevant to today's prices. If the Reds' front office tries to use numbers like that to make offers to free agents, we're going to be looking at the same faces in spring training.
Old 09-21-18, 04:43 PM
All American

Quote:

Not bad. That 3rd year seems a little pricey, but if he met certain performance standards I'd have little problem with it.
The Reds have to face facts. The big pile of young starting pitchers just hasn't produced the quality starting rotation that they had hoped. Yes, there are a few (Desclafani, Castillo, Reed, Lorenzen) that may fill the spots, but that is making a LOT of assumptions.
I agree that 2 FAs are needed.
Old 09-21-18, 10:10 PM
All World

Quote:
Not bad. That 3rd year seems a little pricey, but if he met certain performance standards I'd have little problem with it.
The Reds have to face facts. The big pile of young starting pitchers just hasn't produced the quality starting rotation that they had hoped. Yes, there are a few (Desclafani, Castillo, Reed, Lorenzen) that may fill the spots, but that is making a LOT of assumptions.
I agree that 2 FAs are needed.
In this scenario, the 3rd year is a team option with a $2M buyout so essentially it becomes a 2 year $21M contract and if he returns to form then the 3rd year would be a bargain.

At best (for Harvey) he would be getting a 3 yr/$33M deal. Not bad....
Old 09-22-18, 08:10 AM
All American

Luis Castillo, last 15 games:
2.93 ERA
1.05 WHIP

Pretty good case for a rotation spot in 2019.
Old 09-22-18, 09:04 AM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Yes, that's a big if though knowing the Reds. I haven't seen anything from the front office that suggest they expect to have a winner on the field next season. Granted there is a lot of offseason ahead of us.
Old 09-22-18, 02:38 PM
All Yappi

Youíre on drugs if you think the Reds will spend $10m/yr on Harvey AND two top of the rotation FAs. Why not talk about building the new Reds stadium on Mars?
Old 09-22-18, 04:16 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Youíre on drugs if you think the Reds will spend $10m/yr on Harvey AND two top of the rotation FAs. Why not talk about building the new Reds stadium on Mars?
Totally agree. And I'm a huge Reds fan but I'm really starting to question what some of the people in this board expect from the team next year? They're the third worst team in the NL and double digits behind the next closest team in the NL Central. 4th place, maybe 3rd, in the NLC seems like a better goal than "contender".
Old 09-22-18, 04:37 PM
All American

Silly me. I've never been a rose-colored glasses kind of guy. In fact, I've predicted (within 3 games, anyway) the Reds' W/L record for the past 4 years. I see this team's starting lineup as ready to contend -- especially with Sensel coming along; I see the bullpen the same way; I only see the poor starting rotation as a barrier to contending for a post-season berth.
Adding a proven starter along with Harvey to a group consisting of Lorenzen, Reed, Castillo, and Desclafani should be enough to boost the Reds into contention.
Agree or disagree, but if you think that's far-fetched please feel free to express yourself by making some points instead of just casting aspersions.
Old 09-22-18, 10:28 PM
All World

Quote:
They are allowed to trade for TOR pitching.
Old 09-23-18, 04:14 PM
All World

troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
Adam Duvall/ last 30 games 5 for 45 .111 average 0 HR 0 Rbi. Overall hitting .191

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: