Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-27-18, 07:08 AM
All American

OneTiger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8br10 View Post
I was a little disappointed to find out Phillips was the 5a state champs and Illinois goes up to 8a. But overall, I thought PC looked very good!
I was at the Gahanna/Reynoldsburg game last year and now Gahanna's starting QB goes back to Pick North and their best defensive lineman/ TE linemen going to TCU goes to Pick C.
Is Pickerington an open enrollment or did these players move into the district?
Phillips is 5A but since they won the two state championships in 3 yrs. they have petitioned to move up two classifications to 7A. In Illinois if you win 2 in a row you automatically move up (per friends of my son who grew up in Chicago). Fairfield county is open-enrollment but schools can close the doors due to being at max. numbers for said school. The QB and TE you refer to moved into the schools boundary they now attend.
Old 08-27-18, 07:11 AM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
I don’t care where a kid sleeps or if he really moves . OHASSA doesn’t care either( they may say they do but zero real enforcement.I said it tongue in cheek . Tigers looked really good overall for week one and I think they have too much muscle for Pick North as I know you do to One T .

Pick C still top dog and as a program the momentum
will keep the program strong indefinitely eith a very strong home base coupled with others who will want to move in .

The Chicago team has about 600 kids in their school but it’s an academy like charter school so they have enough talent with the lower numbers but depth is a problem going against a Pick C level team . Tigers O- line looks different than last year but even losing some talented kids in other areas they look the same and have reloaded nicely . Pick C as I have sId many times combines raw city like ability with solid Suburban organization discipline and coaching better than anyone else.

Program looks and feels different than it did when I first saw it in the early 2000”s and other progrMs do as well but to lesser extents . Very impressive effort by the Tigers
Old 08-27-18, 10:16 AM
All Region

Professor.Klump is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTiger View Post
PN's first four games are Eastmoor/Mifflin equivalent teams for which they will get minimal L2 points from come play-off time. Even with Gahanna's QB.
What about week 3???

RAMNATION ALMIGHTY(DIII CHAMPS)
Old 08-27-18, 10:23 AM
All District

sscje is on a distinguished road
QUOTE=CHUCKYDUCK;7094219]Not impressed. And I could care less about PN or their schedule. Funny how you always attack their program when you do not like what someone says. And did I hear the announcer say today your D tackle transferred from Gahanna this year? So your comments are laughable.[/QUOTE]

CHUCKDUCK, I have watched mostly quietly for a couple seasons now as OneTigger has attacked PN for no reason other than having Zero class. It is refreshing to have someone who has no ties to either team take notice and speak up. Correct, yesterday the D tackle was a transfer from Gahanna as well as a Sophomore RB, both 1st game as Tigers. A starting WR/CB, LB,RB and OL yesterday, along with a back up O lineman all are "transfers" from past PN teams. The QB used to be a Reynoldsburg kid if I'm not mistaken.

OneTigger needs to start putting his energy into his team and quit worrying about others. In another post last week when he was worrying about PN, he said PN had a cupcake pre league schedule. State Final 4 Olentangy Liberty, Dublin Jerome and then 5-star recruit Zach Harrison and Olentangy Orange are hardly cupcakes. One may say that although Phillips has some big time players, their D-5 championships in Illinois ( out of 8 levels), didn't compare very well to the Ohio D-1 State Champion. The Tigers looked strong to me, exactly as expected, but maybe Phillips turned out to be a cupcake. Week 2 vs a Canada team could also be perceived as cupcakeish by some. Trotwood is D3 but legit.

Long story short, its nice that someone else notices the OneTigger may have very purple shaded glasses at all times.
Old 08-27-18, 10:24 AM
All American

InTheDarke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor.Klump View Post
What about week 3???

I agree. Looks like he forgot.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-18, 10:48 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheDarke View Post
I agree. Looks like he forgot.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
PN ...stands for Pickerington North. They are not playing Trotwood week #3.
Old 08-27-18, 10:50 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor.Klump View Post
What about week 3???

PN does not play RAMNATION week three.
Old 08-27-18, 11:05 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscje View Post
QUOTE=CHUCKYDUCK;7094219]Not impressed. And I could care less about PN or their schedule. Funny how you always attack their program when you do not like what someone says. And did I hear the announcer say today your D tackle transferred from Gahanna this year? So your comments are laughable.
CHUCKDUCK, I have watched mostly quietly for a couple seasons now as OneTigger has attacked PN for no reason other than having Zero class. It is refreshing to have someone who has no ties to either team take notice and speak up. Correct, yesterday the D tackle was a transfer from Gahanna as well as a Sophomore RB, both 1st game as Tigers. A starting WR/CB, LB,RB and OL yesterday, along with a back up O lineman all are "transfers" from past PN teams. The QB used to be a Reynoldsburg kid if I'm not mistaken.

OneTigger needs to start putting his energy into his team and quit worrying about others. In another post last week when he was worrying about PN, he said PN had a cupcake pre league schedule. State Final 4 Olentangy Liberty, Dublin Jerome and then 5-star recruit Zach Harrison and Olentangy Orange are hardly cupcakes. One may say that although Phillips has some big time players, their D-5 championships in Illinois ( out of 8 levels), didn't compare very well to the Ohio D-1 State Champion. The Tigers looked strong to me, exactly as expected, but maybe Phillips turned out to be a cupcake. Week 2 vs a Canada team could also be perceived as cupcakeish by some. Trotwood is D3 but legit.

Long story short, its nice that someone else notices the OneTigger may have very purple shaded glasses at all times.[/QUOTE]

Let's wait till seasons end and we'll compare L2 points to see which school played cupcakes....deal? As far as Chuckycluck goes look at his previous posts and see how much of a PC hater he is and how he whines about PN players who advance to PC. 5-star OO.....is that an attempt at humor?
Old 08-27-18, 12:06 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTiger View Post

Long story short, its nice that someone else notices the OneTigger may have very purple shaded glasses at all times.
Let's wait till seasons end and we'll compare L2 points to see which school played cupcakes....deal? As far as Chuckycluck goes look at his previous posts and see how much of a PC hater he is and how he whines about PN players who advance to PC. 5-star OO.....is that an attempt at humor?[/QUOTE]
Old 08-27-18, 12:10 PM
All District

Deal on part 1.

I don't know Chuck and have never seen a post of his, but will say that you get very sensitive if a post doesn't go your way and you proceed to sling mud.

Zack Harrison is a 5 star recruit ( ranked #3 overall player in the country) so no, it was not an attempt at humor.
Old 08-28-18, 05:11 PM
All Region

tiger56dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heelinohio View Post
Good, entertaining game today. Phillips will likely have more D-1 recruits than any other team PC will face this season. Their decision to play so many in the box effectively stopped the Tigers' run game, but at a huge cost... PC's offensive line needs a lot of work. It will be interesting to see how the 6-5 325 lb. monster tackle (#77) progresses.

Agree! Phillips looked terrible so hard to judge PC. Obviously PC skill guys are awesome but the O line is the key to championships and canít help but be less dominant with all the new players. My assessment with very little data is PC will be good enough for playoffs but not great this year. Very hard to sustain with a public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-18, 06:25 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger56dad View Post
Agree! Phillips looked terrible so hard to judge PC. Obviously PC skill guys are awesome but the O line is the key to championships and canít help but be less dominant with all the new players. My assessment with very little data is PC will be good enough for playoffs but not great this year. Very hard to sustain with a public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PC has great position coaches and after studying film will focus on weaknesses that need attention. It wouldn't be fair to this years seniors to say they won't go far in the play-offs so I won't. I will say this though, next year.....look out. This team is young and talented.
Old 08-28-18, 09:50 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Back in 2009 a defending state champion from Illinois came to Cincinnati to play Ohio's D1 runner-up from the previous year - very similar result. Recruiting is based on frame/potential but Ohio plays different ball than Illionois. Impressive win for PC, but it was only a matter of time until they wore down this team. Reminded me a lot of said game above:
Elder 49
East St Louis (IL) 28
Old 08-29-18, 09:24 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Illinois HS football is very sub par and the top dogs in the state would not sniff a title in Ohio. Many years ago a mediocre Wayne team of that year beat their top dog East St. Louis in the Ohio vs USA challenge. East St.Louis went on to win the state title that year with Wayne being their only loss.

I saw a lot of games this week including the top dogs in Ohio and PC looked the most impressive.
Old 08-29-18, 09:28 PM
All American

darbydavidsonfan is on a distinguished road
I don’t understand all the negative. Pickerington Central went out and did what they needed to do. They’re the defending D1 champs and appear to at the very least be a legitimate contender this year. Long way to go, but a great start.
Old 08-29-18, 09:42 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by darbydavidsonfan View Post
I donít understand all the negative. Pickerington Central went out and did what they needed to do. Theyíre the defending D1 champs and appear to at the very least be a legitimate contender this year. Long way to go, but a great start.
I saw Mentor beat Ed's
I saw Hoban take it to Iggy
Saw Colerain man handle LaSalle
Saw Pick Central destroy Phillips....

In my opinion, Pick Central was the most impressive. Not because of who they beat but they just looked the part.
Old 08-30-18, 05:08 AM
All World

I agree Vamps, the only thing they aren't at this point anyway as solid as last year is the offensive line which always takes the longest to develop when you have a totally new unit of first year starters.
Old 08-30-18, 06:26 AM
This is the year

gocards is on a distinguished road
I think PC should definitely be the favorite in Ohio D1 this year but I don't think this was a game that showed it. I saw them play a team that was poorly conditioned and playing a defensive style of ball that wouldn't stop any of the top D1 teams in Ohio. When is the last time you saw a D1 football team that couldn't even kick an extra point. They lined up with a straight ahead kicker that kicked it 10' under the cross bar and didn't even try after that.

I would love to see another matchup between PC and Colerain in the playoffs this year. It would be a great game and I think Colerain matches up better size wise and has much better depth than they did last year.
Old 08-30-18, 06:41 AM
All World

Yes , I think a Colerain - PC match-up is likely if not inevitable at some point as is a Mentor -Ed's match-up IMO. Shame that new teams rarely make it into this power mix but "it would be what it be"" and may be every blue moon you get an upset ?

Gut feeling right now, I say Colerain may be the best in the R-2- R-3 State South semi feeder.

Winner of Mentor -Ed's { No disrespect to Iggy but I trust some that say they aren't that final 4 or final type team?} plays the winner of PC-Colerain. This isn't to say that a Cinci Catholic or a PN can't get hot and be better on a given night of course
Old 08-30-18, 07:11 AM
All Region

Walt is on a distinguished road
Pump the brakes just a little guys. It’s week one... a lot of football yet to be played. Like scrimmages, I don’t put too much stock in week 1 performances good or bad. I can’t think of any teams that looked the same in weeks 9, 10, 11, etc. as they did in weeks 1, 2, 3… some teams get better some teams get worse. Kids mature as they gain experience, kids get injured, kids who were back-ups or JV emerge… a lot of things change. The 2017 Tigers of last November and December were nothing like the 2017 Tigers of August or September.

That said, the biggest question or concern coming into the season about the 2018 Tigers is how the o-line would play. I thought they played pretty well in their debut. Phillips has 8 or 9 guys in the box and 9-11 guys within a couple yards of the LOS but the Tigers were able to run the ball effectively.

Two additional random things....

Central is now 7-0 vs. out-of-state teams (not including Canadians). Since the 2009 season we’ve played teams from Indiana, California, Virginia, South Carolina, Michigan, and now Illinois. All of these teams were coming off good seasons (a few defending state champs), predicted to have good seasons, loaded with multiple guys with D1 offers, and all of these teams went on to have winning seasons and advance at least a few rounds in their own state’s playoffs. However, none of these teams have been as physical as the Tigers or as physical as other Ohio teams the Tigers have faced. I definitely think this speaks to the brand of football being played in Ohio. Not saying that Ohio football is the best, but I do think we play more physical than a lot of other states and I think it shocks some of these out-of-state opponents when they play us.

Second, some of you commented about the Phillips fan sitting in front of the press box chanting “overrated”…. If you were at the game you may have noticed the three 40-50 year old men standing right behind the Tigers bench talking trash/heckling the Tigers players. And I don’t mean like light hearted trash talk or the usual stuff… they were targeting specific players and calling them out. I get that student sections will do this, but those are 16-17 yr old kids getting on their peers, not adult men.
Old 08-30-18, 07:19 AM
All Region

Walt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocards View Post
I would love to see another matchup between PC and Colerain in the playoffs this year. It would be a great game and I think Colerain matches up better size wise and has much better depth than they did last year.
I would too! Like I said, a lot of football to be played. Iíll just be happy if weíre playing at that point of the season But Iíve enjoyed the Central vs Colerain games in the past. Weíve had a few good ones and I thought your team, coaches, and fans were classy in the previous meetings.
Old 08-30-18, 07:42 AM
All World

I am not overreacting to week one, but the dynamic is that the same teams are getting to the same places every year and like the inevitability of the Cavs -Warriors getting to the NBA finals the last few years that's what is readily apparent here.

Yes I watched on TV in a nice cool living room and heard that guy who mysteriously shut the heil up late first half the last 59 seconds to be precise.

I feel the Phillips team did what they thought they had to , to compete up front . They gave up big pass plays as a result of that obviously or just a result of PC having better football players. Phillips is a magnet school and academy , Magnet means that it's not held to Physical geographic barriers. That's why with the small enrollment they have that many D-1 kids . Power publics that are nationally ranked almost without fail develop their own kids and have excellent feeder programs but ALSO GET TALENTED KIDS COMING LATER.

Not judging but it is real and the top 50 nationally are almost always Catholic , private academy's or Publics that attract kids to transfer in at higher rates than the next tier down The success breeds success in terms of getting the ELITE kids to transfer in often with multiple offers already or would easily get them at some point regardless of joining forces with other top players.

I mean I hardly expect a kid like Crenshaw to suit up for Columbus South high school . I am a Co fan and was rooting for the Tigers in 2011 and last year in the finals and before that . I will just type what I think though, the transfer dynamic is old news now, many programs get them , some get the better players and more of them , and the same teams often show up at the same points most years . They work hard have good coaches and better players most years . it's up top the others to catch up or try to . .
Old 09-12-18, 09:18 PM
Freshman

Young Breezy is on a distinguished road
I'm still trying to figure out how this Phillips' poor offense looked like a juggernaut on the ground in the 1st half against Pickerington. There's several top teams in IL I don't think Phillips scores a single point against. Not on the ground for sure.
Old 09-13-18, 05:41 AM
All World

Are you the loud mouthed chanter of 'OVERRATED " may be the most obnoxious thing I have heard on any High School broadcast .

Look man I know that wasn't you most likely , but you are posting for the first time here , what's you reasons for disparaging Pickerington Central?

Top High schools in Illinois and Indiana for that matter are HUGE , MUCH BIGGER ON AVERAGE IN THE TOP DIVISIONS as Ohio enrollments . Are you saying that Illinois football is superior to Ohio pound for pound?

If so , you are wrong . I realize that the magnet school Phillips is smaller I am referring to the teams you say could shut out Phillips are probably the catholics and or the huge publics that dot the greater Chicago area. I would say Pick Central and the other top 3-4 Publics could hold their own against Illinois 's top publics no matter the size. Smaller school football ? Ohio mops floor with Illinois smaller programs
Old 09-13-18, 08:44 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
Are you the loud mouthed chanter of 'OVERRATED " may be the most obnoxious thing I have heard on any High School broadcast .

Look man I know that wasn't you most likely , but you are posting for the first time here , what's you reasons for disparaging Pickerington Central?

Top High schools in Illinois and Indiana for that matter are HUGE , MUCH BIGGER ON AVERAGE IN THE TOP DIVISIONS as Ohio enrollments . Are you saying that Illinois football is superior to Ohio pound for pound?

If so , you are wrong . I realize that the magnet school Phillips is smaller I am referring to the teams you say could shut out Phillips are probably the catholics and or the huge publics that dot the greater Chicago area. I would say Pick Central and the other top 3-4 Publics could hold their own against Illinois 's top publics no matter the size. Smaller school football ? Ohio mops floor with Illinois smaller programs
Not me. That guy sounded like a crazy man. I wasn't disparaging Pickerington, just giving some perspective given some of the unflattering commentary on IL Football seen in this thread. Phillips is not a magnet school. They have 600 kids and pretty much bullied PC on the ground and PC is nearly 3x the size of Phillips. There are some smaller schools I think would shut Phillips out too. Also smaller ones that would dominate them...again like Rochester in Central IL. I don't even want to bring up Trotwood Madison. Or St. Ed's last year.
Old 09-13-18, 09:05 AM
All World

So in other words Illinois is vastly superior to Ohio in High school football and small average teams would beat Ohio teams like a drum. Got it . What would sound like if you WERE DISPARAGING ? ?

So could PC or a Mentor or any Ohio team in D-1 possibly win a state title in Illinois on any level? Oh that's right didn't Phillips win one? So you are saying Phillips just gets ids from a few blocks radius on the south side? Got it . Thanks for joining with no agenda. lol
Old 09-13-18, 09:07 AM
All World

Illinois produces much more college talent than Ohio is also you take ? What other ways is Ohio football vastly inferior to Illinois ? Come on man , you joined and posted for a reason go to town mention al your evidence that shows there are much better teams and more talent in Illinois than Ohio?

Go for it .
Old 09-13-18, 09:08 AM
All World

Trotwood isn't the same team this year and PC took care of them as well . Chicago Simeon is also a small neighborhood school?
Old 09-13-18, 09:19 AM
All World

Simeon career academy is a vocational - career school that I am fairly sure can draw students" {athletes } from a wider area than it's own neighborhood.

Seeing as you have to apply to go there I think it's a bit wider area than a few neighborhoods . Zero attendance boundaries . Phillips academy takes students via application from OUTSIDE their boundary's . No athletes come from outside ?

Last edited by Harrycrane; 09-13-18 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-13-18, 09:54 AM
Freshman

You're unhinged. I would be too if Phillips bulldozed my team. The thought of that is unsettling. The internet is great because you can find information like this: http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Qua...School-Options

Not trying to hear your excuses pal.

Simeon is a basketball school.