Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-03-18, 04:47 PM
Dale Cooper Dale Cooper is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-12-18
Location: Twin Peaks, WA
Posts: 486
Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Frosh Football 2018

We knows there’s several potential D1 recruits in this class along with some kids that will be very good HS players. Anyone know of any surprise additions that could be D1 potential players? There’s one potential D1 kid from Visi going to Taylor, but there’s a good possibility he transfers into Elder.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-03-18, 06:28 PM
PURPLE REIGN PURPLE REIGN is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-17-01
Posts: 5,735
PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
We knows there’s several potential D1 recruits in this class along with some kids that will be very good HS players. Anyone know of any surprise additions that could be D1 potential players?
A former poster named PantherBoy or Descartes or RuppDog (I'm forgetting a couple) once told me the number of high-end college players was not an indication of talent. He tried to argue that being named on the GCL 1st and 2nd Teams was a better indication. Maybe you should change your question?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-03-18, 06:40 PM
Dale Cooper Dale Cooper is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-12-18
Location: Twin Peaks, WA
Posts: 486
Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
A former poster named PantherBoy or Descartes or RuppDog (I'm forgetting a couple) once told me the number of high-end college players was not an indication of talent. He tried to argue that being named on the GCL 1st and 2nd Teams was a better indication. Maybe you should change your question?
That poster promptly pointed out, D1 talent isn’t everything. He’s also pointed out several times what a small IQ individual you are for constantly ignoring how recruiting has changed to be based on potential and not output. I believe the example of Mark Miller v Andrew Hendrix was brought up several times.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-03-18, 06:58 PM
PURPLE REIGN PURPLE REIGN is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-17-01
Posts: 5,735
PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
D1 talent isn’t everything.
Exactly. Smartest thing you've said in awhile.

So why contradict yourself and mention it 3X in one post about 14 and 15 year olds?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-03-18, 07:30 PM
Dale Cooper Dale Cooper is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-12-18
Location: Twin Peaks, WA
Posts: 486
Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
Exactly. Smartest thing you've said in awhile.

So why contradict yourself and mention it 3X in one post about 14 and 15 year olds?
You’re showing your limited IQ by missing out on the joke. Regardless, it never hurts to have high D1 talent as long as they’re not being recruited solely on potential.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-06-18, 07:47 AM
purpleandwhite purpleandwhite is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-11-03
Location: Price Hill, OH
Posts: 385
purpleandwhite
How is this class looking on the lines? The successful Elder teams always have a big talented line.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-06-18, 08:28 AM
Dale Cooper Dale Cooper is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-12-18
Location: Twin Peaks, WA
Posts: 486
Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleandwhite View Post
How is this class looking on the lines? The successful Elder teams always have a big talented line.
IDK about this yr, but last yr they had a massive OL. The biggest problem for the rising Sophs was the Defense outside of 2-3 kids. They probably need to move Pohlman or Wandstradt along with Webber to the Secondary. I’m not sure what they’ll do with Cooper Johnson. He reminds me a lot of Messmore, but he might be more valuable on Defense. A lot probably depends on who takes over RB at the Frosh level. I think it’ll be young Ramsey, but there’s no guarantee as he’s also a pretty damn good LB.

Last edited by Dale Cooper; 07-06-18 at 01:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-29-18, 01:20 PM
Dale Cooper Dale Cooper is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-12-18
Location: Twin Peaks, WA
Posts: 486
Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Unfortunately, the Lawrence kid was hurt playing bball for the Panthers Team. He’s going to miss Football, maybe some of Bball.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-29-18, 07:00 PM
voiceoreaso voiceoreaso is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-13-07
Posts: 381
voiceoreaso is on a distinguished road
It appears he will be out for basketball as well. One of Visi's best player from last year is also not playing due to concussion concerns. The only position Ramsey plays on offense is QB. He wont be the RB from this class. His dad would never allow that.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-29-18, 07:26 PM
Johnny Sins Johnny Sins is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 04-29-18
Posts: 38
Johnny Sins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
A former poster named PantherBoy or Descartes or RuppDog (I'm forgetting a couple) once told me the number of high-end college players was not an indication of talent. He tried to argue that being named on the GCL 1st and 2nd Teams was a better indication. Maybe you should change your question?
My favorite was Nelson Van Alden
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-29-18, 09:16 PM
Dale Cooper Dale Cooper is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-12-18
Location: Twin Peaks, WA
Posts: 486
Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoreaso View Post
It appears he will be out for basketball as well. One of Visi's best player from last year is also not playing due to concussion concerns. The only position Ramsey plays on offense is QB. He wont be the RB from this class. His dad would never allow that.
That sucks, especially bc I think he’d get PT on Varsity as a Soph, if not start.

Done playing entirely? And I don’t know what you’re talking about with young Ramsey. He’s not going to be QB, so then he’ll play D. Also, the oldest played FB, I’m not sure why he would object to the youngest playing RB. Ramsey isn’t dumb, he knows how bad the optics would be if he started his son over 2 better QBs, and by all accounts both are better.

I’ll ask again, are there any non feeders in this class that will make an impact?

Last edited by Dale Cooper; 07-29-18 at 09:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-30-18, 08:21 AM
trey2k trey2k is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-21-15
Posts: 2,215
trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoreaso View Post
It appears he will be out for basketball as well. One of Visi's best player from last year is also not playing due to concussion concerns. The only position Ramsey plays on offense is QB. He wont be the RB from this class. His dad would never allow that.
This doesn't make much sense to me. Are you saying he wouldn't let him play RB for safety concerns? But playing QB is fine? The Elder QB runs all the time.

Seems all three QBs have different skill sets. Sounds like the Visi and Antoninus kid can throw, and the Visi and Ramsey kid have some speed and size. Sounds like the Visi kid has both. How is the Ramsey kids passing game?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-30-18, 08:23 AM
Dale Cooper Dale Cooper is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-12-18
Location: Twin Peaks, WA
Posts: 486
Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
This doesn't make much sense to me. Are you saying he wouldn't let him play RB for safety concerns? But playing QB is fine? The Elder QB runs all the time.

Seems all three QBs have different skill sets. Sounds like the Visi and Antoninus kid can throw, and the Visi and Ramsey kid have some speed and size. Sounds like the Visi kid has both. How is the Ramsey kids passing game?
He’s not as skilled of a passer. I think the part about him not playing RB is untrue. Ramsey wants to go out a winner, and I’ve heard his youngest is like Glines from X at RB.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-30-18, 08:24 AM
purpleandwhite purpleandwhite is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-11-03
Location: Price Hill, OH
Posts: 385
purpleandwhite
If Ramsey is playing QB, who would be playing RB?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-30-18, 08:35 AM
Dale Cooper Dale Cooper is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-12-18
Location: Twin Peaks, WA
Posts: 486
Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleandwhite View Post
If Ramsey is playing QB, who would be playing RB?
If he’s not at QB, he should be LB. No clue who the RB is with the Lawrence kid out, hoping there’s a non feeder that could take over.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-30-18, 08:46 AM
Dale Cooper Dale Cooper is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-12-18
Location: Twin Peaks, WA
Posts: 486
Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
And I’m in no way knocking young Ramsey, he’s a freakin stud. He’s just built differently than Peyton. He’s not a natural QB, but he’s still one of the best incoming Frosh in the GCL.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-30-18, 09:05 AM
adselder09 adselder09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-11-07
Posts: 14,281
adselder09 is on a distinguished road
My bet - all 3 will play Qb. One per quarter or half however they decide to do it. If I had to guess you'll see Keller and Ramsey see some time on defense as LB when they're not playing Qb and Hambleton playing safety if he's not playing Qb. Not a bad problem to have IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-30-18, 09:09 AM
Dale Cooper Dale Cooper is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-12-18
Location: Twin Peaks, WA
Posts: 486
Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
My bet - all 3 will play Qb. One per quarter or half however they decide to do it. If I had to guess you'll see Keller and Ramsey see some time on defense as LB when they're not playing Qb and Hambleton playing safety if he's not playing Qb. Not a bad problem to have IMO.
God dam, just move one of them to JV. Neither of those kids will be starting QBs. I’m tired of the politics, every other sport will play Frosh on JV , and every other GCL school will play Frosh on JV for football. Cut the stupid bs. Luebbe will be the starter next year, but one of these 3 is going to be a 2 yr starter. Get them going early. If any of these spineless crybaby JV parents have an issue, screw ‘em, bc they don’t have the best interest of the program in mind.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-30-18, 09:33 AM
trey2k trey2k is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-21-15
Posts: 2,215
trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
My bet - all 3 will play Qb. One per quarter or half however they decide to do it. .
I tend to agree with this. Give them all a chance to prove what they're made of on the field. It would suck to make the decision without seeing them in live game action.

I don't think it's as easy to move kids up in football as it is in baseball or basketball. Yes, a couple may be ready physically, but it sounds like the playbook is vast and complicated. That takes time.

However, if the kid is ready physically and knows the playbook, send him up. It's just really hard to do at the QB position in a very complicated offense.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-30-18, 09:40 AM
Dale Cooper Dale Cooper is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-12-18
Location: Twin Peaks, WA
Posts: 486
Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
I tend to agree with this. Give them all a chance to prove what they're made of on the field. It would suck to make the decision without seeing them in live game action.

I don't think it's as easy to move kids up in football as it is in baseball or basketball. Yes, a couple may be ready physically, but it sounds like the playbook is vast and complicated. That takes time.

However, if the kid is ready physically and knows the playbook, send him up. It's just really hard to do at the QB position in a very complicated offense.
The Offense is way scaled down at the lower levels. I think they probably run 1/2 the Varsity playbook.

I had heard Ramsey was salivating over getting to coach up Hambleton. He’s the most physically mature and experienced, put him on JV.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-30-18, 09:41 AM
trey2k trey2k is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-21-15
Posts: 2,215
trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
This is all easy to say from the Internet. I'm sure it's a much tougher decision in real life.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-30-18, 09:44 AM
Dale Cooper Dale Cooper is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-12-18
Location: Twin Peaks, WA
Posts: 486
Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
This is all easy to say from the Internet. I'm sure it's a much tougher decision in real life.
Playing 3 QBs is pointless. They did that for the rising Jrs as Frosh and it just hinders development. I know Luebbe will start next Yr, but they still need one of these guys as a backup. The other 2 QBs, Thaman and Perdue switched positions.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-30-18, 10:06 AM
trey2k trey2k is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-21-15
Posts: 2,215
trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
But it doesn't sound like there's a clear cut favorite. All 3 can play. That's rare...I think it's pointless to make a decision in that scenario when you haven't even seen them play a real game yet.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-30-18, 10:18 AM
voiceoreaso voiceoreaso is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-13-07
Posts: 381
voiceoreaso is on a distinguished road
The plan right now is definitely for them all to play in the games. If Hambleton and Ramsey aren’t playing defense in the meantime that is a issue. I would be shocked if Keller plays LB at his size. He is small.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-30-18, 10:52 AM
trey2k trey2k is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-21-15
Posts: 2,215
trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Playing 3 QBs is pointless. They did that for the rising Jrs as Frosh and it just hinders development. I know Luebbe will start next Yr, but they still need one of these guys as a backup. The other 2 QBs, Thaman and Perdue switched positions.
How does it hinder development? They all play some games and you get a true view of what each can do. Maybe that takes half the season, maybe the whole season. But whatever the timeframe is, the top 1-2 guys probably becomes apparent and that's who you focus on at QB for the future.

Nobody is saying to do this for the next 3 years.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-30-18, 11:00 AM
Dale Cooper Dale Cooper is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-12-18
Location: Twin Peaks, WA
Posts: 486
Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoreaso View Post
The plan right now is definitely for them all to play in the games. If Hambleton and Ramsey aren’t playing defense in the meantime that is a issue. I would be shocked if Keller plays LB at his size. He is small.
Keller would be a DB. Ramsey and Hambleton should be LBrs. Maybe Hambleton slides to S, but he’s already what 6’3”? If he keeps growing, he might be too big for S.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-30-18, 01:41 PM
College#19 College#19 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 08-26-15
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 198
College#19 is on a distinguished road
Hambleton is a major D1 College prospect at QB. I think Ramsey is smart enough to understand this but he has to have some type of open QB challenge this early in the process. My bet is towards the middle or end of the season Hambleton will be the starting JV QB and maybe even dressing for Varsity.

I think he is one of the best QB prospects we have seen in Cincinnati in a long time. He has great speed, a strong arm, physically a bigger kid, and can make all of the plays you want to see from a QB. If Ramsey messes this up then he should be fired. It isn't too often you get a QB like this in your program.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-30-18, 01:58 PM
adselder09 adselder09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-11-07
Posts: 14,281
adselder09 is on a distinguished road
No chance any of these three dress for Varsity. If there's an injury at the JV level, I could maybe see one playing JV but that's not really the Elder way. Ramsey's son Peyton didn't play any JV as a Frosh and he played 3-years at QB.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-30-18, 01:58 PM
Dale Cooper Dale Cooper is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-12-18
Location: Twin Peaks, WA
Posts: 486
Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by College#19 View Post
Hambleton is a major D1 College prospect at QB. I think Ramsey is smart enough to understand this but he has to have some type of open QB challenge this early in the process. My bet is towards the middle or end of the season Hambleton will be the starting JV QB and maybe even dressing for Varsity.

I think he is one of the best QB prospects we have seen in Cincinnati in a long time. He has great speed, a strong arm, physically a bigger kid, and can make all of the plays you want to see from a QB. If Ramsey messes this up then he should be fired. It isn't too often you get a QB like this in your program.
There’s a lot of talk, he’s done after his youngest graduates in 4 yrs. I can’t imagine he’d intentionally start his youngest over Hambleton out of nepotism. He’s not dumb, he knows even the dimmest of fans would see what he’s doing.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-30-18, 02:09 PM
trey2k trey2k is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-21-15
Posts: 2,215
trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by College#19 View Post
Hambleton is a major D1 College prospect at QB.
Really? How can you say that before the kid ever plays a high school snap?

From the way you're talking, his measurables better be 6'6" and a solid 220. That's would I would expect to see for someone calling a kid a MAJOR D1 college prospect before anyone has ever seen this kid play his first game.

How about we ease up on that a bit.

I mean, I know he's good, but are recruiters already contacting him (hell, maybe they are)?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mentor Cardinals Football 2018 FightingCardinal Football 279 12-03-18 12:19 PM
Barberton: A Coaching Legacy frecriss Barberton Magics 18 11-28-18 11:02 AM
Massillon Football 2018 milqcity2010 Football 498 10-13-18 03:24 PM
Benedictine football alum's inspiring fight against ALS CleBen Football 2 12-15-17 01:51 PM
Week 2: North Canton Hoover Vikings at Louisville Leopards LeopardNation Football 76 09-03-17 07:29 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz