Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-14-18, 12:50 PM
Varsity

RoughRiderSports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copley King View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if they were to beat Ignatius this year....Hobans underclassmen are fearless and very skilled, I'm thinking they will shock a lot of people...Think about it they've been coached up so well they don't know how to lose and have know fear of the so called big boy teams
Weight Room
Old 06-14-18, 12:54 PM
Varsity

RoughRiderSports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Mick would be a starting QB at most schools but probably not at Hoban.
Ah, the luxeries of hoban football. Take many of the best kids from the surrounding counties. Then your team is awesome and the teams you took the players from get worse.

What you probably meant to say is that Mick was coached up/weight-roomed up in his freshman year that even though he wasn't very good when he entered Hoban, he is now very good.
Old 06-14-18, 01:31 PM
All World

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I wouldn't be shocked if they were to beat Ignatius this year....Hobans underclassmen are fearless and very skilled, I'm thinking they will shock a lot of people...Think about it they've been coached up so well they don't know how to lose and have know fear of the so called big boy teams
Hoban should be favored by a couple touchdowns. Ignatius is totally rebuilding the lines and qb, so they will not get off to a huge start.
Old 06-14-18, 01:31 PM
All District

Copley King is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRiderSports View Post
Ah, the luxeries of hoban football. Take many of the best kids from the surrounding counties. Then your team is awesome and the teams you took the players from get worse.

What you probably meant to say is that Mick was coached up/weight-roomed up in his freshman year that even though he wasn't very good when he entered Hoban, he is now very good.
Mick was good before he got to Hoban... I think Hamm is a great kid and a good QB, I just think Mick can do things that Hamm struggles with and he should get a shot at the starting position...
Old 06-14-18, 01:55 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan 1 View Post
Youíre kidding yourself if you think Mick is ever going to play QB at Hoban while Hamm is there. Hamm is the real deal...and is only going to get better and better and better the next 3 years. Sounds like Mick will get on the field which speaks to his ability. Hope he likes defense.
Hamm is good don't get me wrong, but Mick can throw that dam ball just as good if not better then Hamm... If he had a few more inches in height it wouldn't even be a augerment...
Old 06-14-18, 02:14 PM
All Region

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Mick was good and we are thankful for all the hard work his public school did to prepare him for Hoban. How is Kent going to be this year? Got any middle school kids you want us to take a look at? Hoban has done a great job developing Kent kids.
Old 06-14-18, 02:24 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Old 06-14-18, 02:26 PM
All Region

That is awesome^^^^^^^^^**
Old 06-14-18, 04:03 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby77 View Post
That is awesome^^^^^^^^^**
Well, all the good "beating a dead horse" pictures were used up on the Wolf's never ending CB thread. RIP Wolf!
Old 06-14-18, 04:55 PM
All Region

We were having a nice conversation until the Kent guy showed up.
Old 06-14-18, 05:02 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
I think Massillon will be most up to the task of stopping Hoban. I think Massillon returns a lot this year. I think some of the Massillon faithful should enlighten us as to what Massillon has returning, and how well they will be able to contend with this juggernaut Hoban team.
Old 06-14-18, 05:04 PM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hamm is good don't get me wrong, but Mick can throw that dam ball just as good if not better then Hamm... If he had a few more inches in height it wouldn't even be a augerment...
If Mick is better he will play ahead of Hamm. Thatís the way coach T is if you have been paying attention. Everyone said last year that it wasnít a fair competition when Hamm beat out the senior. I think his performance on the field spoke for itself. You canít use the height argument because the same could be said for Hamm who is about the same height as Mick. Mick will play somewhere as I stated previously. It just may not be at QB.
Old 06-14-18, 05:12 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
I think Massillon will be most up to the task of stopping Hoban. I think Massillon returns a lot this year. I think some of the Massillon faithful should enlighten us as to what Massillon has returning, and how well they will be able to contend with this juggernaut Hoban team.
Washington and Perry will both be the toughest test in D2, at least in Northeast Ohio.
Old 06-14-18, 05:45 PM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Washington and Perry will both be the toughest test in D2, at least in Northeast Ohio.
Avon scrimmages at Massillon at PBTS in August. It's usually a tightly controlled scrimmage with a lot of situational stuff, and a lot of personnel on both sides getting looks they might not get in a regular season game, but it's a chance to see two D2 contenders on the field in your neck of the woods. Aug 7 at 6pm.
Old 06-14-18, 05:46 PM
All Yappi

I only saw Hamm versus Avon, and I felt he was very poised for a freshman QB, and had a very good live arm...as we all saw the next week versus Winton Woods. Hard to imagine him ever losing the job.
Old 06-14-18, 05:55 PM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
Hoban winning titles, let alone games, is just as impressive as Saint Edward winning. Stack the deck and good things happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-18, 06:00 PM
All District

Quote:
If Mick is better he will play ahead of Hamm. Thatís the way coach T is if you have been paying attention. Everyone said last year that it wasnít a fair competition when Hamm beat out the senior. I think his performance on the field spoke for itself. You canít use the height argument because the same could be said for Hamm who is about the same height as Mick. Mick will play somewhere as I stated previously. It just may not be at QB.
The kid Hamm beat out last year really just wasn't that good, just being Honest... His IQ was weak and his arm just wasn't that strong..."just being Honest"....Great kid just not on the level of Hamm on the feild,Hamm is about 2 to 3 inches tall then Mick and has him by a few pounds...Both of them are great boys and really good QB... Either way the Knights will be in good hands
Old 06-14-18, 06:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.S. Furgeson View Post
Hoban winning titles, let alone games, is just as impressive as Saint Edward winning. Stack the deck and good things happen.

It is obviously a huge advantage to draw from a large area, but they still have to produce on the field. Hoban is very talented, but they are also well coached and fundamentally sound. That's a tough combo to beat, as you well know. Back when Dave coached Avon Lake they were always so fundamentally sound and physical, and the years when they had special talent were great years as a result. Hoban has that going in a huge way, now.
Old 06-14-18, 06:18 PM
All District

Hobans backfield should be called the four horsemen....All big strong and fast, it will be a pick your poison kind of deal...All four RB 200lbs plus...
Old 06-14-18, 07:40 PM
All Region

Quote:

St Edward is very well coached. As long as public schools continue to use this narrative the private schools will have a huge advantage. Private schools have it won before the game is even started. I have seen incredibly talented public programs get beat by privates that are not near as talented because their coaches and communities tell them this crap. The programs that just coach and play football donít have this issue. Six of them won state titles because they built programs and quit blaming others. Good programs donít lose good kids.
Old 06-14-18, 10:18 PM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

High School football is not the neighborhood sport it once was. There are still local rivalries and the like, but technology has changed the game. You use to read the Saturday Sportspage to find out what happened the night before. Now video is posted immediately and sites like Max Preps and others like it have results, stats, etc posted hourly. ESPN, Fox Sports, NBC Sports and others, broadcast games weekly. Kids who are serious about moving on know this, and know they need to play for a winner, if they want to be seen. Although itís tough on the local public school and a parochial program which is down, you canít blame the kid for playing where he thinks heíll get his best shot. With camps, scouts, and big time college $$$ in the mix ďIt is what it isĒ.
Old 06-15-18, 08:52 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye53 View Post
High School football is not the neighborhood sport it once was. There are still local rivalries and the like, but technology has changed the game. You use to read the Saturday Sportspage to find out what happened the night before. Now video is posted immediately and sites like Max Preps and others like it have results, stats, etc posted hourly. ESPN, Fox Sports, NBC Sports and others, broadcast games weekly. Kids who are serious about moving on know this, and know they need to play for a winner, if they want to be seen. Although itís tough on the local public school and a parochial program which is down, you canít blame the kid for playing where he thinks heíll get his best shot. With camps, scouts, and big time college $$$ in the mix ďIt is what it isĒ.
Buckeye- many good points, but I have to respectfully disagree that a kid has to play at a top school to be seen. The same technology you reference, coupled with the growth of the scouting process, brings top talent to the attention of schools regardless of where kids play (e.g. the Dowdy kid from Akron North). They have to play at top schools to face top competition, but they can play anywhere now and be seen.
Old 06-15-18, 09:18 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Buckeye- many good points, but I have to respectfully disagree that a kid has to play at a top school to be seen. The same technology you reference, coupled with the growth of the scouting process, brings top talent to the attention of schools regardless of where kids play (e.g. the Dowdy kid from Akron North). They have to play at top schools to face top competition, but they can play anywhere now and be seen.
I think the point is that playing at a school with a state caliber program will enhance the opportunities for exposure to colleges. Example would be Manchester and their current athletes being recruited. Smaller school with a Good program and a couple of exceptional athletes = recruitment. But I will also say that their are athletes at Hoban who would not have D1 offers playing at most public schools in this area. Because of the programís exposure right now and success these players are being seen and recruited by incoming college coaches and being offered.
Old 06-15-18, 09:59 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I think the point is that playing at a school with a state caliber program will enhance the opportunities for exposure to colleges. Example would be Manchester and their current athletes being recruited. Smaller school with a Good program and a couple of exceptional athletes = recruitment. But I will also say that their are athletes at Hoban who would not have D1 offers playing at most public schools in this area. Because of the programís exposure right now and success these players are being seen and recruited by incoming college coaches and being offered.
We tend to focus on the D1 players. And with respect to this upper tier talent, there is a lot of merit to both sides of the argument. If you are good enough they will find you. BUT they will find you more easily at a successful program. To me, though, when you look at the second level players, those who may not be getting D1 looks, those kids are MUCH more likely to be found by D2 and D3 schools at successful high school programs if for no other reason than there are a lot more college recruiters wandering the hallways of those successful programs.
Old 06-15-18, 11:32 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
We tend to focus on the D1 players. And with respect to this upper tier talent, there is a lot of merit to both sides of the argument. If you are good enough they will find you. BUT they will find you more easily at a successful program. To me, though, when you look at the second level players, those who may not be getting D1 looks, those kids are MUCH more likely to be found by D2 and D3 schools at successful high school programs if for no other reason than there are a lot more college recruiters wandering the hallways of those successful programs.
Agreed.
Old 06-15-18, 02:06 PM
All Region

Quote:

You have been trolling Hoban people blaming them for your woes in Kent. Looking back, Roosevelt sucked when these kids were still at Kent. Was that Hobanís fault? Kent has been a laughing stock ever since your legendary coach left. These Hoban kids were still in middle school when the damage was done. Whoís fault was it then? Please enlighten me. How many kids are showing up to workouts in the morning? Yeah, it is the weight room.
Old 06-15-18, 02:45 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
You don't need to go to an elite program to get recruited. Ed Egan managed to get 9 kids playing college ball this year; 2 to d1, 4 to d2, and 3 to d3. Out of a senior football class of about 15. Sure, maybe a program with elite talent like Hoban may get more d1 signees. But Egan got his numbers with fairly average talent.
Old 06-15-18, 02:55 PM
All Ohio

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
Not so sure about that. You still have to be pretty darn good to play D2 and those players are on recruiters radars regardless if the team is 0-10 or 10-0. D-3 is D-3 if you have a pulse a D-3 school will take you for the tuition, now ever seeing the field is a different story? I know kids that were cut their senior year (baseball) and still went to a D-3 college team. One lasted 2 years and one 3 before quitting.
Old 06-15-18, 03:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
You have been trolling Hoban people blaming them for your woes in Kent. Looking back, Roosevelt sucked when these kids were still at Kent. Was that Hobanís fault? Kent has been a laughing stock ever since your legendary coach left. These Hoban kids were still in middle school when the damage was done. Whoís fault was it then? Please enlighten me. How many kids are showing up to workouts in the morning? Yeah, it is the weight room.
Kent had some very good teams from 2006 to 2013, averaging 8 wins a year with four 9 win seasons and only one sub-.500 season. From 2014 to 2017, they've won an abominable 3, 4, 2 and 2 games. That's just plain a systemic program failure, not merely another school siphoning off talent. Would those kids help, sure, but how about taking action to fix some of the problems rather than whine about a school one county and 13 miles away?
Old 06-15-18, 07:13 PM
All Region

I remember Kent not that long ago being good and they also had a pretty strong youth program. Sure the Hoban kids would have helped. I don’t like seeing a community team fall apart. I am kind of tired watching this guy stalk Hoban and Cougar to be specific and blaming them for the failure of a program. Hoban did not take the kids from Kent. The kids from Kent and Ravenna for that matter (both had an impact at Hoban) went looking for something better because the writing was on the wall and both programs proved them right.

Ravenna had an influx of talent that left Hoban and SVSM to come back and they still sucked. Bottom line is that they did nothing with the talent when they had it. It is a program problem. Thank you for backing me. I don’t want to trash this Roughrider guy but enough is enough. Go be a part of the solution.