Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-02-18, 10:03 AM
All World

oskar is on a distinguished road
I believe Mojos comment regarding this as a PR problem is spot on. We all went to Elder, we all know what happened is not at the core of what the school is all about. Elder has and does reach out to the community. The problem is that Elder has never been very good at blowing its own horn. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but doesn't help with this particular situation.
Old 06-08-18, 02:37 PM
All World

Jteegardner
here is your chance to express your opinion
http://www.elderhs.org/ under news and events and take the survey
Old 06-08-18, 02:58 PM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jteegardner View Post
I like this. I hope people respond with honesty and maturity, and I hope the school listens, and acts upon the results.

I would have kept it anonymous and targeted it specifically to alumni, but it's a start.
Old 06-08-18, 04:27 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Received the post card for this in the mail the other day, I assume they sent that to alumni only.
Old 06-08-18, 08:22 PM
All American

Vincent and Regina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
I like this. I hope people respond with honesty and maturity, and I hope the school listens, and acts upon the results.

I would have kept it anonymous and targeted it specifically to alumni, but it's a start.
IF you can't sign your name, it doesn't need to be said.
Old 06-09-18, 09:48 AM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jteegardner View Post
If it is not, Elder needs to share the survey link on twitter and facebook.
Old 06-09-18, 03:17 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
If it is not, Elder needs to share the survey link on twitter and facebook.
They sent it to Alumni. I got a mailing. Its on the website. Sometimes you have to do a little work to get results.
Old 06-11-18, 08:31 AM
All American

CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
I get fed up with some on here essentially saying, why don't you tell Elder or keep your mouth shut. LOL I know many, including myself have voiced my concerns directly to Elder, we did not need a survey. However we get no response.

On the survey, it is very interesting and I think a direct result of people reaching out with concerns, as well as the obvious decline in enrollment. I will continue to hold my breath though, since many of us have not even received a response from the administration, my guess is they will receive enough, everything is great responses on this survey to justify staying the course. Heck there are plenty of people on here with their heads in sand to let them believe they should stay the course.
Old 06-12-18, 11:35 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Do the survey and take advantage of the open comment fields. I typed in a couple paragraphs in each. Take it seriously and make suggestions. Yes, I know that it will probably be overwhelmed with "head in the sand", "everything is awesome" clueless suburban alumns, however, I believe, and hope, that the administration is looking for real solutions. I hope my optimism is not misplaced.
Old 06-12-18, 11:54 AM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
clueless suburban alumns
Gimme a break.
Old 06-12-18, 02:10 PM
All World

Quote:
Yes, I know that it will probably be overwhelmed with "head in the sand", "everything is awesome" clueless suburban alumns, however, I believe, and hope, that the administration is looking for real solutions. I hope my optimism is not misplaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire View Post
Gimme a break.
There goes one now. Don't get sand in your eyes my friend. The "its a bad rap", "nothing to see here" types are the problem.
Old 06-12-18, 02:29 PM
All American

Quote:
There goes one now. Don't get sand in your eyes my friend. The "its a bad rap", "nothing to see here" types are the problem.
LOL. The way you say "clueless suburban alums" is just hilarious to me.
Old 06-12-18, 03:01 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire View Post
LOL. The way you say "clueless suburban alums" is just hilarious to me.
Well, LaSalle and St. X seem to do a good job making urban kids feel at home in a suburban setting and Elder manages to make urban kids feel unwelcome in an urban setting. So, you go figure it out. When you have kids living within eyesight of Elder's tower going to other parochial schools, what do you think the problem might be?
Old 06-12-18, 03:49 PM
All World

Here's an example: Two households across the street from each other on Sunset Avenue, two blocks from The Pit. Five kids, all of whom went to St. William. One boy goes to St. X, three boys go to LaSalle and the one girl goes to Ursula. Good Catholic kids, from good Catholic, hard working, middle class families, good students and one athlete and all four boys go elsewhere. Elder didn't even bother to compete for these kids.
Old 06-12-18, 04:49 PM
All Region

voiceoreaso is on a distinguished road
They aren't competing for kids in feeder schools that are farther away either. They dont fight for kids who they know would be assets to Elder. their philosophy is still "We are Elder and you should be privileged to come to Elder". They dont realize that times have changed
Old 06-12-18, 05:15 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoreaso View Post
They aren't competing for kids in feeder schools that are farther away either. They dont fight for kids who they know would be assets to Elder.
Along those lines, I was at the St. Bernard Festival this past Friday night. I checked the big sign of festival sponsors and saw both St. X and LaSalle, but not Elder. I saw the same thing at last year's St. Ignatius Festival and St. Bernard's festival the last time I was there a year or two ago. I'm sure the "sponsorship" from two schools on North Bend Rd actually means they donated a big basket of spirit wear and other paraphernalia for the bid-and-buy booth. There's really no reason Elder can't or shouldn't do that for every parish west of I-75.
Old 06-13-18, 10:50 AM
All American

ElderHSfan02 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ElderHSfan02
Quote:
Well, LaSalle and St. X seem to do a good job making urban kids feel at home in a suburban setting and Elder manages to make urban kids feel unwelcome in an urban setting.
Where did you hear that urban kids feel unwelcome at Elder? Was there a survey or focus group study done? I don't walk the halls of Elder, but by watching Elder sports, I think Elder looks more diverse now than ever. Those kids must feel pretty welcome to enroll and stay at Elder.
Old 06-13-18, 11:30 AM
All American

Quote:
Well, LaSalle and St. X seem to do a good job making urban kids feel at home in a suburban setting and Elder manages to make urban kids feel unwelcome in an urban setting. So, you go figure it out. When you have kids living within eyesight of Elder's tower going to other parochial schools, what do you think the problem might be?
My problem with your comment has nothing to do with this..you made that comment suggesting that every alum living in the suburbs is oblivious to the issues at hand...and that is not the case. Are there some? Of course. But I think generally your comment (insult) is off-base.
Old 06-13-18, 12:44 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderHSfan02 View Post
Where did you hear that urban kids feel unwelcome at Elder? Was there a survey or focus group study done? I don't walk the halls of Elder, but by watching Elder sports, I think Elder looks more diverse now than ever. Those kids must feel pretty welcome to enroll and stay at Elder.
It's a perception that Elder has particularly in urban communities. Whether it's true or not the perception is there and it's Elder job to figure out how to shed it. Probably wouldn't hurt to ask graduates and former students ways they can change this perception. Ask the Moseley's, Portis', McCloud's etc. It's obviously a very sensitive issue but those young men have the most recent experience.
Old 06-13-18, 01:18 PM
All American

I have no idea of the actual diversity numbers with E, Moe, X, and LaSalle, but on the surface, E seems to be the least diverse, by far, even having made some strides recently. I don't know that it's a perception, but a reality. If they aren't the least diverse, I'd be shocked.

The question is...do they care (not saying they should or shouldn't, but perhaps they've made a decision to focus on feeder school kids primarily)? That's why it would be nice to get an idea what they're enrollment strategy is. They don't talk about that kind of stuff, but that's the stuff most people are begging for.
Old 06-13-18, 01:33 PM
All World

Ehs 2005
Quote:
I have no idea of the actual diversity numbers ... If they aren't the least diverse, I'd be shocked.
They aren't the least diverse.
Old 06-13-18, 01:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I have no idea of the actual diversity numbers with E, Moe, X, and LaSalle, but on the surface, E seems to be the least diverse, by far, even having made some strides recently. I don't know that it's a perception, but a reality. If they aren't the least diverse, I'd be shocked.
Elder has 94.5% white students. Moeller has 94.9% white students. LaSalle is 90.2% white. St. Xavier is 90.4% white.

http://www.usaschoolinfo.com/school/...713/enrollment
http://www.usaschoolinfo.com/school/...705/enrollment
http://www.usaschoolinfo.com/school/...709/enrollment
http://www.usaschoolinfo.com/school/...650/enrollment
Old 06-13-18, 01:38 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehs 2005 View Post
They aren't the least diverse.
Who is? Moeller?

LaSalle and X seem diverse.

I see the updated stats...interesting.

Football is down for Moeller (but they're still good), but they kill it in everything else. Is it just being able to pull from a wider range of the city being more centralized?
Old 06-13-18, 01:48 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
I will add too, that Oak Hills High School (the public school district where most of Elder's students live) is 93.7% white students. The two high schools in the Northwest Local School district Colerain and Northwest (where I assume most of La Salle's students live) are 72.2% and 56.8%, respectively. For Moeller it's Sycamore with 74.7%, Mason with 80.4%, Madeira with 90.4%, Lakota West with 77.4%, and 77.8%.

Before anyone loses their cool, Elder needs to expand beyond kids who live in the Oak Hills Local School district.
Old 06-13-18, 01:50 PM
All World

Ehs 2005
Quote:
LaSalle and X seem diverse.
Your previous version of this post noted that they are "very diverse".

If you take a look at the GCL as a whole (outside of GCL South) you'd be surprised of where Elder stands.
Old 06-13-18, 02:11 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehs 2005 View Post
Your previous version of this post noted that they are "very diverse".

If you take a look at the GCL as a whole (outside of GCL South) you'd be surprised of where Elder stands.
On the surface, X, Moe, and LaSalle do seem very diverse. Perhaps most of that diversity is with athletes that are more likely to be seen (some of their athletic teams are nowhere near those percentages). But when I saw the stats, that wasn't very true, I guess.

I don't know, what percentage is "very diverse"?

So then why does Elder get the rap and no one else does (I mean besides chanting racial slurs at basketball games).
Old 06-13-18, 03:12 PM
All World

Quote:
I know that it will probably be overwhelmed with "head in the sand", "everything is awesome" clueless suburban alumns, however, I believe, and hope, that the administration is looking for real solutions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderHSfan02 View Post
Exhibit A
Old 06-13-18, 06:57 PM
All District

?????? is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You and your holier than now, judgemental, old fashioned attitude who resents anyone living in a cookie cutter houseoutside the bus line.
Old 06-13-18, 08:02 PM
All American

Quote:
Here's an example: Two households across the street from each other on Sunset Avenue, two blocks from The Pit. Five kids, all of whom went to St. William. One boy goes to St. X, three boys go to LaSalle and the one girl goes to Ursula. Good Catholic kids, from good Catholic, hard working, middle class families, good students and one athlete and all four boys go elsewhere. Elder didn't even bother to compete for these kids.
Where were you? If you knew these kids, why weren't you talking highly of Elder? I know I have done my fair share of pumping up Elder to friends that have kids that are about to go to high school. So why weren't you talking about Elder to these kids?
Old 06-13-18, 09:20 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent and Regina View Post
Where were you? If you knew these kids, why weren't you talking highly of Elder? I know I have done my fair share of pumping up Elder to friends that have kids that are about to go to high school. So why weren't you talking about Elder to these kids?
I was and I did. They were underwhelmed by the open house (this is going back to five years ago, until last year) and LaSalle offered more money. My boosting this could not overcome Elder's shabby open house effort and the money thrown at them by LaSalle.