Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-18-18, 10:24 AM
All American

McClearn7 is on a distinguished road
Heath D-3 District Rankings (Off-Season #1)

These initial off-season rankings will have the wrestlers ranked at the weights that they competed at last season. Iíll start moving wrestlers around as the off-season progresses, but for now, everyone is listed at last yearís weight.

The team rankings are also based off of the returning wrestlers and do not yet include the incoming freshmen.
I paired the freshmen with the school that they were listed at on the Yappi thread about middle school state placers. If there was more than one possible school listed, I took a guess.
If there are any freshmen listed at the wrong school, feel free to let me know. Also, if there are any other wrestlers who have transferred, decided not to wrestle next year, or graduated (but I mistakenly left them in the rankings), please let me know.

I love doing these rankings, but as it has been pointed out before, they are just for fun. To any wrestlers who read these and feel that they are ranked too low, you may be right.
I am bound to be wrong on many of the rankings, but fortunately they have absolutely no impact on how anyone will finish at any tournament this season or any other year.

* = unsure about participation or availability

# = A second wrestler from the same school ranked at the same weight. I will add an extra wrestler to the rankings at each weight that contains a #.

106-
1. Lucian Brink- Coshocton (2nd state)
2. Collin Yinger- Nelsonville-York (5th, 4th state)
3. Joshua Proper- Delaware Christian (SQ)
4. Jon Polley- Pleasant (6th district)
5. Alex Overly- Shenandoah (SQ)
6. Branden Parsons- Caldwell (5th district)
7. Joseph Savage- Toronto
8. Caedden Yager- Barnesville

Brink made one of the biggest jumps in placement in D-3 last year, finishing 2nd in the state after an exciting state finals bout. He posted a pair of wins over Yinger last year as well as victories over state qualifiers Howard Williams and Sky Wisecarver, and state placers Zak Mattin and Aiden McAlexander.

113-
1. Gavin Weaver- Newcomerstown (5th state)
2. Marshal Niswonger- Caldwell (SQ)
3. Austin Guthrie- Coshocton (7th state)
4. Joseph Bonfini- Bellaire (5th district)
5. Chase Ward- Martins Ferry (6th district)
6. Brayden Rittenhouse- W. Muskingum
7. Jake Mathews- Steubenville C.C.*
8. Aiden Aiello- Ready

I underestimated this district at the state tournament, and they showed their grit with a pair of state medals. Weaver lost in the first round but rolled back through the consolation rounds, besting Niswonger (2-1) and Guthrie (3-2) on the way to a 5th place finish.
I ranked Niswonger ahead of Guthrie due to the head to head win by Niswonger (7-5) in the district semis and the fact that Niswonger lost to the wrestlers who finished 3rd and 5th at the state tournament.

120-
1. Brian Palmer- Buckeye Local (6th state)
2. Hayden Johnson- (Richmond) Edison (SQ)
3. Austen Amens- Northmor
4. Carson Rupe- Crooksville
5. Corey Phillips- Coshocton (6th district)
6. Derick Tullis- Grandview Hts.
7. Hayden Pacha- N. Union
8. Kian Belt- Liberty U.

Palmer was one of the bigger surprises in D-3 last year (at least to me). I didnít know anything about the freshman coming into the year, and he improved each week over the season, eventually landing himself on the state podium at the end of the year. Palmer reversed an earlier loss, defeating Johnson in OT in the sectional finals, and he won 3 straight consolation bouts in Columbus (Storm Stanley, Drake Carmean, Trey Sander) while earning a 6th place finish.

126-
1. Klay Reeves- (Johnstown) Northridge (2nd, 8th, 8th state)
2. Logan Hursey- Newcomerstown (6th state)
3. Gavin Ramos- Northmor (8th state)
4. Joey Buckland- West Jefferson (SQ)
5. Donnell Marshall- Centerburg (6th district)
6. Ryley Crall- Union Local (5th district 2017)
7. Garrett Dozier- Toronto
8. Todd Fouts- Trimble

Incoming Freshman:
Niko Christo- Northmor (7th middle school state)

Reeves avenged an earlier loss to Hursey with a 4-3 victory in the semifinals of the district tournament last season. He also defeated Ramos in the sectional finals, Buckland in the district finals, and 2x state placer Devan Hendricks in the state semifinals.

132-
1. Noah Inboden- Nelsonville-York (SQ, 8th state 2017)
2. Andrew Knaup- W. Muskingum*
3. Blake Barrick- Coshocton (SQ)
4. Haden Offenberger- Waterford (5th district)
5. Nate Weaver- Mt. Gilead (6th district)
6. Bryce Farrabee- Barnesville
7. Wyatt Wells- Pleasant
8. Jordan Dalby- Union Local

Unfortunately, Knaup missed the post season last year, though he did post an early season win over Barrick (17-11).
If heís back healthy, he could play a huge role in West Muskingumís chase for a district title.

138-
1. Carter Winegarner- W. Muskingum (8th state)
2. Collin Wiley- Caldwell (SQ)
3. David Chapman- Crooksville (6th district)
4. Brady Crum- Union Local (5th district)
5. J.T. Brown- Newark Cath.
6. Dylan Glotfeldy- Barnesville
7. Jacob Newell- Sandy Valley
8. Reece Wolf- Pleasant

Winegarner avenged his district finals loss to Dallas Scott with a 9-8 victory in the blood round of the state tournament, locking up a spot on the podium as a sophomore last season. He also earned an 8-4 win over Wiley in the sectional finals and a 10-3 victory over Chapman in the district semis, who could provide his stiffest competition at next yearís district tournament.

145-
1. Andrew Halko- Ready (SQ)
2. Mason Kuneff- Bridgeport (SQ)
3. Andrew McFee- W. Muskingum (SQ)
4. Josh Patterson- Ridgedale (6th district)
5. Cameron Woods- Barnesville
6. Hunter Gilbert- Belpre (6th district 2017)
7. Dylan Hershberger- Garaway*
8. Dylan Parman- (Johnstown) Northridge

I was surprised to see Kuneff up at 145 for the post season last year after competing most of the year down at 132. However, he still qualified for the state tournament, defeating McFee 12-0 in the consolation finals of the district tournament, and he also finished a bout shy of placement in Columbus after beating Dylan Schenck in overtime win his first consolation bout.
Halko bested Kuneff 5-1 in the district semifinals to earn his first trip to the state tournament.

152-
1. Conor Becker- Northmor (3rd state)
2. Billy Luft- Newark Catholic (6th state)
3. Coltin Meek- Newcomerstown (SQ)
4. Andy Williamson- Mt. Gilead (6th district)
5. Cameron Blair- Sandy Valley
6. Adrian Abolins- Liberty Union
7. Cody Albaugh- Bellaire
8. Gavin Baisden- Pleasant

Incoming Freshman:
Tabor Lackey- Trimble (3rd middle school state)

Becker had himself a state tournament last year, placing 3rd as a sophomore after falling to state finalist Cumberledge in the first round. Among his wins were a pin over the stellar freshman Dillon Walker in the blood round, another fall over Kyle Ryder in the consolation semis, and an 8-3 win over 3x state placer Chase Moore in the consolation finals.
Heíll be a state title threat in 2019, as will Luft, who defeated Becker 3-2 in the district finals.

160-
1. Santino Kusic- Bridgeport (4th state)
2. Tony Martinez- Northmor (5th district)
3. Brylan Clouse- Barnesville (5th district 2017, 6th district 2016)
4. Reece Franks- Sandy Valley (6th district)
5. Charlie Smith- Buckeye Local
6. Noah Love- Tusky Valley
7. Skyler Cowgill- N. Union
8. Thomas Walters- Coshocton

Incoming Freshmen:
Bryce Keckley- W. Jefferson (4th middle school state)
Jonah Bibler- Pleasant (8th middle school state)

Kusic pulled out one of the bigger upsets of the state tournament last year, knocking off returning state champ James Limongi 3-1 in the quarterfinals. Limongi reversed the result in the consolation finals (2-0), but the quarterfinal win showed that Kusic will be a threat for a spot in the state finals and a state crown in 2019.

170-
1. Ethan Pappas- (Richmond) Edison (SQ)
2. Tristan Bush- Johnstown-Monroe (5th district)
3. Richard McFarland- Martins Ferry (SQ)
4. Joshua Newell- Sandy Valley (6th district)
5. Jarrett Deaton- Bridgeport
6. Michael Herrmann- Steubenville C.C.
7. Kobe Barnett- Liberty Union
8. Brandon Strickland- Mount Gilead

Pappas qualified for the state tournament as a sophomore last year after finishing 3rd at the district tournament where he beat Bush and McFarland in the consolation semis and finals. He also posted a win over D-2 state placer David Tuttle at the OVAC Tournament earlier in the year.

182-
1. Drake Dobson- Martins Ferry (SQ)
2. Colt Snyder- Nelsonville-York (SQ)
3. Chris Cox-Wilson- N. Union (SQ)
4. Mason Wiley- Caldwell (5th district)
5. Justin Jackson- Barnesville
6. Shayne Christian- Buckeye Local
7. Corey Johnston- (Johnstown) Northridge
8. Hunter Everett- Trimble

Snyder cut to 182 late last season, and it paid dividends as he pinned Cox-Snyder in the district semis to claim his first trip to the state tournament as a freshman.
Dobson defeated Snyder in the sectional and district finals (9-1 and 4-3) to claim titles at both events.

195-
1. Hudson Jump- Grandview Hts. (1st, 5th, 7th state)
2. Ian Joyce- Trimble (5th district)
3. Zac Cesario- Buckeye Local (6th district)
4. Jordan Sanders- Newcomerstown
5. Nathan Bomboris- Union Local
6. Casey Fleahman- Liberty U.
7. Garrett Hershberger- Garaway
8. Terrance Slatzer- Fredericktown

Jump has reached new plateaus with each passing season, jumping from 7th to 5th to 1st at state over his first 3 years. Itíll be interesting to see what new heights he can climb to in 2019. An undefeated season? Bonus points in every match? World domination? Whatís next for the talented youth?

220-
1. Donovan McCollister- Nelsonville-York (5th state)
2. Dylan Thompson- N. Union (SQ)
3. River Pappas- (Richmond) Edison (6th district 2017)*
4. Hunter Braithwaite- W. Jefferson (SQ)
5. Dalton Rice- Shenandoah
6. Zack Meade- Barnesville
7. Sam Hardenberg- Ready
8. Dylan Wilson- Danville

Incoming Freshman:
Wyatt Moyer- Sandy Valley (8th middle school state)

I didnít see any results from Pappas last year after the Hoppel Tournament where he beat state alternate Chavion Young 8-7 in the finals. Hopefully, heíll make a return to the mat in the upcoming season.

285-
1. Liam Kirkpatrick- Newark Cath. (5th district)
2. Sheldon Harter- W. Muskingum (6th district)
3. Easton Hitchens- Shenandoah
4. Bailey Garren- Ready
5. Dakota Ross- Belpre
6. Zach George- (Johnstown) Northridge
7. Chet Lohr- W. Jefferson
8. Brendan Maclean- Liberty U.

Kirkpatrick will enter the season as the favorite at this weight-class. He defeated Harter 5-1 in the alternate final at last yearís district tournament after pinning him earlier in the quarterfinals.
Kirkpatrick also posted a pin over state qualifier and former middle school state champ Jeff Meyer and a 4-1 win over a tough Dane Black in the finals of the LCC Tournament.

Teams:
1. Nelsonville-York
2. West Muskingum
3. Northmor
4. Newcomerstown
5. Coshocton
6. Barnesville
7. Caldwell
8. Buckeye Local

Iím surprised to see how fast West Muskingum has become a district trophy threat, but that seems to be one of the advantages of being a D-3 school, more likely to rise from unknown to contender.
Nelsonville-York will again be the district favorite heading into the season, but the margin will be closer than last season where they won by 58 points.
I always expect Northmor to reload, but Iím unfamiliar with their reserves and incoming freshmen other than middle school state placer Christo.

A special thanks to Boro Fan for all the insight into the weights of the wrestlers, Baumís Page, Inside the Circle, the OVAC wrestling website, and Jakeís Wrestling for all of the results that they provide, and to any of the other wrestling nerds that actually read these things.

-Max Pearce

Last edited by McClearn7; 05-18-18 at 07:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-18, 12:59 PM
Junior Varsity

MrWetzelEdTech is on a distinguished road
I believe you have the title/district slightly incorrect. As you mentioned in the post, these are DIII wrestlers, yet you have DII in the title. While each of these wrestlers competed at the Heath District this past season, this is the district that alternates locations between the East District and Central District.

If OHSAA's pattern continues, this thread should just be renamed Coshocton D-3 District Rankings as that's where it is typically held when in the East.

The D2 District meet will likely be in Heath as it typically is when the DIII meet is in the East District.
Old 05-18-18, 07:30 PM
All American

McClearn7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWetzelEdTech View Post
I believe you have the title/district slightly incorrect. As you mentioned in the post, these are DIII wrestlers, yet you have DII in the title. While each of these wrestlers competed at the Heath District this past season, this is the district that alternates locations between the East District and Central District.

If OHSAA's pattern continues, this thread should just be renamed Coshocton D-3 District Rankings as that's where it is typically held when in the East.

The D2 District meet will likely be in Heath as it typically is when the DIII meet is in the East District.
Yep. You're right. I hit 2 instead of 3. This is the D-3 Central/Southeast District.
Old 05-19-18, 07:08 AM
All Ohio

cosh wrestling dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClearn7 View Post
Yep. You're right. I hit 2 instead of 3. This is the D-3 Central/Southeast District.
How DARE You hit the wrong number!! I bet some of these kids won't even be at these weights in the fall!
Old 05-19-18, 07:16 AM
Junior Varsity

PenetrationStep is on a distinguished road
That is a very weak district. This is the reason there should be 1 (maybe 2) divisions. The competition is too watered down
Old 05-19-18, 01:18 PM
Freshman

verybadwrestler is on a distinguished road
What did this District do to you?
We shouldn't be talking trash about other districts.
Old 05-19-18, 01:46 PM
Junior Varsity

I don’t think 1 of those kids would start at an Eds, Graham, Elyria or Lasalle. And that is why the state tournament is watered down.
Old 05-19-18, 01:48 PM
Junior Varsity

And it’s not just this district there’s many weak districts that are painfully watered down - especially at the D3 level. And some at the D2 level
Old 05-19-18, 02:22 PM
Junior Varsity

NCwrestlingmom is on a distinguished road
Yes, I believe the same was said last year. I also recall it produced the state runner up Bodkin. They all have to beat someone, somewhere to go to the show.
Old 05-19-18, 02:58 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCwrestlingmom View Post
Yes, I believe the same was said last year. I also recall it produced the state runner up Bodkin. They all have to beat someone, somewhere to go to the show.
And that kid wouldnít have sniffed the podium in D1
Old 05-19-18, 03:04 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenetrationStep View Post
And the freshman goes to idiot mode by lashing out at a kid! Great job!!
Old 05-19-18, 03:06 PM
Junior Varsity

NCwrestlingmom is on a distinguished road
I’m sure you couldn’t “sniff the podium” either. Pick on someone your own size.
Old 05-19-18, 03:11 PM
Junior Varsity

Not picking on the kid - picking on the format - I personally have no idea who this kid is
Old 05-19-18, 03:16 PM
Junior Varsity

Other than Dylan D’Emilio - not a single D3 kid would have won the D1 tournament and that is a problem
Old 05-19-18, 07:31 PM
Freshman

heartsslayer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Other than Dylan DíEmilio - not a single D3 kid would have won the D1 tournament and that is a problem
There's plenty of the D3 kids that go on and wrestle in college D1 level. I believe Cole Mattin, Tommy Hoskins, Casey Barnett just to name a few , would've been extremely competitive in D1 or D2. Pretty ridiculous statement that your making in my opinion.
Old 05-19-18, 08:04 PM
Junior Varsity

Would anyone other than Dylan DeMilio win D1 this year? The answer is no. It is what it is
Old 05-19-18, 09:42 PM
All Region

knuck97 is on a distinguished road
This dudes an idiot don’t reward him with a response. Probably a kid who couldn’t even make it out of sectionals!!! We have 3 div in this state deal with it.
Old 05-19-18, 10:17 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck97 View Post
This dudes an idiot donít reward him with a response. Probably a kid who couldnít even make it out of sectionals!!! We have 3 div in this state deal with it.
Sorry if the truth hurts you.
Old 05-20-18, 10:46 PM
Freshman

Wrestlinglife is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Other than Dylan D’Emilio - not a single D3 kid would have won the D1 tournament and that is a problem
First, there is zero point in arguing a hypothetical. Second, there have been numerous D3 wrestlers who were the best in the State since I've been involved with the sport. It only shows your ignorance if you aren't aware of that. I'm talking about NCAA champions. Great wrestlers come from everywhere and anywhere. The point of the divisions is to make it more fair for the schools who don't have the type of enrollment that would allow them reasonably compete, teamwise, with much larger schools. Individually, the top 16 in any of the three divisions is going to be loaded with studs. Of course, D1 is going to generally (not always) have more depth. However, it's incredibly biased and short sighted to believe that DIII champs couldn't compete in D1 or win there. Also, what is your point anyway? Every state has divisions, and every sport. So, rather than trolling high school kids on a message board, you might want to review the history of this sport.

Should Ohio also do away with the multiple divisions in football? They have 7 different divisions.
Old 05-20-18, 11:04 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestlinglife View Post
First, there is zero point in arguing a hypothetical. Second, there have been numerous D3 wrestlers who were the best in the State since I've been involved with the sport. It only shows your ignorance if you aren't aware of that. I'm talking about NCAA champions. Great wrestlers come from everywhere and anywhere. The point of the divisions is to make it more fair for the schools who don't have the type of enrollment that would allow them reasonably compete, teamwise, with much larger schools. Individually, the top 16 in any of the three divisions is going to be loaded with studs. Of course, D1 is going to generally (not always) have more depth. However, it's incredibly biased and short sighted to believe that DIII champs couldn't compete in D1 or win there. Also, what is your point anyway? Every state has divisions, and every sport. So, rather than trolling high school kids on a message board, you might want to review the history of this sport.

Should Ohio also do away with the multiple divisions in football? They have 7 different divisions.
Every state has divisions in all sports? Hmmmm California and Indiana must have never gotten that message
Old 05-20-18, 11:49 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Every state has divisions in all sports? Hmmmm California and Indiana must have never gotten that message
I see that you followed my post as much as you follow wrestling. Did I say that every state has divisions in all sports? I said every state has divisions, and every sport. Which bridged into my comment about Ohio HS football (that you carefully ignored). As far as I know, every State has divisions in some sports and Ohio has divisions in all of the sports that I follow.

Most importantly, the fact that you chose to ignore the substance of my post and instead pull out a small comment and bend the words around show that you're just an internet troll. Anyone who has actually competed at the state level in Ohio has more respect and a much better understanding of reality on this topic. So, obviously you aren't in that group... Which explains why you're so hateful toward these kids mentioned above who are obviously much more successful than you.
Old 05-21-18, 12:36 AM
Freshman

Quote:
And that kid wouldn’t have sniffed the podium in D1
In the finals at Brecksville, Bodkin beat Moore-Nash who placed 6th in D1.

Bodkin also has wins over Shafer from Graham (3rd in DII), Ely from Steubenville (2nd in DII), McCoy, who placed 2nd at PA State, Brown from PA (ranked #2 in the state last year), and the West Virginia State champ who was also a runner-up at Nationals.

Not a bad resume for a DIII runner up, eh?
Old 05-21-18, 08:25 AM
All Ohio

Alex overley 106 should probably be put 3rd IMO watch him this season solid kid just needed some wrestling maturity I believe it was his first season
Old 05-21-18, 09:51 PM
Freshman

cradle3 is on a distinguished road
Wouldn't count Congrove (Vinton) out
Old 05-22-18, 08:36 AM
Junior Varsity

MrWetzelEdTech is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosh wrestling dad View Post
How DARE You hit the wrong number!! I bet some of these kids won't even be at these weights in the fall!
I didn't mean it in the sense that I believe everything has to be on point from the the start of the summer wrestling season. I only posted it as it may confuse people who like to follow the results of certain districts and/or divisions. DII and DIII wrestling are in this unique situation, (maybe the only one across all districts and divisions) that flip-flop district meet each year between east and central sites.

This was definitely not a knock on Mr. Pearce who puts forth so much time and effort to gather results-based predictions. I really appreciate his efforts and the efforts of others in this way.
Old 05-23-18, 06:48 PM
Freshman

Gremmie95 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Logan Stieber
Hunter Stieber
Cam Tessari
Chris Phillips
Kaleb Romero

All D3 wrestlers who wrecked D1 and D2 kids for four years....oh yeah, and the first guy won 4 NCAA Championships. Talent isnít limited by division.
Old 05-23-18, 07:22 PM
Junior Varsity

No one said D3 didn’t have some hits but the depth is horrible
Old 05-29-18, 04:23 PM
Varsity

rr23724 is on a distinguished road
As someone who coached in all 3 divisions over 21 seasons (3 then 2 then 1) and always believed the state level was the same for all 3...that is so far from the truth. D1 is vastly superior to D2 and D3. I had kids who wrestled state matches in D2 and D3 including semi finals that would have been round 1 matches or even a late round district match. I was shocked by the jump from D3 to D2 at the state level but then the jump to D1 was overwhelming.

Obviously there are exceptions (Monroeville 4, Romero, Jaggers...), but they are not the norm.
Old 05-29-18, 08:13 PM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr23724 View Post
As someone who coached in all 3 divisions over 21 seasons (3 then 2 then 1) and always believed the state level was the same for all 3...that is so far from the truth. D1 is vastly superior to D2 and D3. I had kids who wrestled state matches in D2 and D3 including semi finals that would have been round 1 matches or even a late round district match. I was shocked by the jump from D3 to D2 at the state level but then the jump to D1 was overwhelming.

Obviously there are exceptions (Monroeville 4, Romero, Jaggers...), but they are not the norm.
D3 220 Gaige Willis & D3 285 Brian Stears are pretty good.

Last edited by darthmalice; 05-29-18 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-30-18, 08:54 AM
All Ohio

This is exactly why there's three divisions if there was only one division the smaller schools might as well get rid of wrestling. It's hard to be competitive when you don't have three to five kids fighting for a weight class. I believe some of it has to do with economics also hard to get to the extra practices and the better camps when the majority of a school can't afford those extras