Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-08-18, 12:19 AM
Varsity

OVTC is on a distinguished road
A Witness to History

Dustin Horter will drop a time under 4:00 in the mile or under 3:58.60 in the 1600. I guarantee it. I will be at every meet he goes to up until he starts classes at Indiana.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-18, 06:37 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVTC View Post
Dustin Horter will drop a time under 4:00 in the mile or under 3:58.60 in the 1600. I guarantee it. I will be at every meet he goes to up until he starts classes at Indiana.
Does he have a plan to run an the circuit this summer?

I'd like to see some simulated race situations in June and July that enable him to be in a field of runners that could push him to this pace.

Prefontaine?
Old 05-08-18, 01:51 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
OVTC, I guess you already know that his next race is at the GMC championships at Mason this weekend. He set two league records last year running 4:07.52 in the 1600 and coming back with a !:54.56 in the 800.
Old 05-08-18, 07:53 PM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Horter has proven that he can solo great times in any distance. He will go under 4 in a HS race with no help....a la Jim Ryan
Old 05-08-18, 08:13 PM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
Horter has proven that he can solo great times in any distance. He will go under 4 in a HS race with no help....a la Jim Ryan
I would love to see it happen, but it is highly unlikely. To go from 4:04.82 in the mile to under 4 in the short amount of time left in the season is just not going to happen. On a related note, would someone please have a camera rolling when he runs the next 4 weeks?
Old 05-11-18, 11:44 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Horter went 4:11.85 in the 1600m and 1:54.20 in the 800. After all the hype the mile at Mason received last week, there had to be a letdown this week.
Old 05-12-18, 05:06 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Horter went 4:11.85 in the 1600m and 1:54.20 in the 800. After all the hype the mile at Mason received last week, there had to be a letdown this week.
Good grief.

League meets are usually about racing for points (cue '609's complaints about See and other runners who won things yet also raced in a way that would help their teams) unless you're on a team that has absolutely no shot at contending for a high finish, and even then, the goal is usually to be league champion in the event and not worry about the time.

Also, I'm betting the league meet managers didn't go out of their way to establish an artificial environment with rabbits, spectators lining the track, and heaven knows what else...
Old 05-12-18, 08:57 AM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Exactly, Mr. Slippery. While it's always a bonus if a kid can run a PR or meet record in a league/conference championship, it all depends on the state of training/recovery, schedule, weather, and a number of other factors. NO ONE can PR week-in, week-out, nor should that kind of pressure be placed on anyone, let alone kids. For those of the quality to be competitive in the state tournament, the goal should always be for a peak during that last two weeks. Horter & his coaches have done a fine job till now; I suspect they'll continue to do a fine job going forward.
Old 05-12-18, 09:02 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
Mr. Jim RYUN only ONCE ran under 4:00 in a HS-only race - that being his famed 3:58.3 mile at the '65 Kansas State meet. That race is available on YouTube is an incredible accomplishment made on a natural surface and in typical Kansas windy conditions. I equate it Michael Carter's famed 81' 3 1/2" shot put effort when it comes to being truly monumental.

Old 05-12-18, 09:23 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Good grief.

League meets are usually about racing for points (cue '609's complaints about See and other runners who won things yet also raced in a way that would help their teams) unless you're on a team that has absolutely no shot at contending for a high finish, and even then, the goal is usually to be league champion in the event and not worry about the time.

Also, I'm betting the league meet managers didn't go out of their way to establish an artificial environment with rabbits, spectators lining the track, and heaven knows what else...
Horter set the city record last year at his league meet in 4:07.52 breaking Mike Vitucci's city record. He also ran the dream mile at Mason the week before last year with the hype surrounding the Mason meet with spectators lining the track, with the individual introductions, etc. East had no realistic chance at the league title this year or last year. East finished 8th almost 100 points behind the winner this year.
Old 05-12-18, 04:34 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Lancermania has always been one for dramatic statements like this. Kid ran an unreal time and did what was needed.
Old 05-12-18, 10:00 PM
Varsity

OVTC is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

My concern is that the OHSAA will not give him credit for breaking Bob Kennedy's time in the 1600m since the race was a mile in length and Horter did not stop at the 1600m. I just don't think they much care there was an FAT clock at the 1600m mark. The race was billed as a mile run not a 1600m run. He has 3 more shot at it.
Old 05-13-18, 06:06 AM
All Ohio

Newton's Third is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVTC View Post
My concern is that the OHSAA will not give him credit for breaking Bob Kennedy's time in the 1600m since the race was a mile in length and Horter did not stop at the 1600m
My concern is that just because there was not a camera at 1600 meters do we pretend that Kidder and Borchers did not run a mile faster than Horter ran 1600? If Kidder ran 9.5 meters farther yet faster than Horter ran 1600 meters it is pretty clear who holds the record camera or not. If they change the 1600 to 1590 meters and someone runs 4:08 should all who ran 1600 be forgotten?
I would like to see Horter run a time by the end of the summer that puts things like this to rest but until that time he does not truly have a 1600 meter record in my eyes.
Old 05-13-18, 07:54 PM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton's Third View Post
My concern is that just because there was not a camera at 1600 meters do we pretend that Kidder and Borchers did not run a mile faster than Horter ran 1600? If Kidder ran 9.5 meters farther yet faster than Horter ran 1600 meters it is pretty clear who holds the record camera or not. If they change the 1600 to 1590 meters and someone runs 4:08 should all who ran 1600 be forgotten?
I would like to see Horter run a time by the end of the summer that puts things like this to rest but until that time he does not truly have a 1600 meter record in my eyes.
I don't understand why a camera at 1600 would not be sufficient for a record. Wouldn't it fulfill the requirements? Please educate me. Altor? Can you provide insight on this?
Old 05-13-18, 08:43 PM
All Ohio

Newton's Third is on a distinguished road
A camera would be sufficient. Kidder and Borchers did not have a camera in their mile runs from previous years but they ran a mile faster than Horter ran 1600 meters so the record is actually much faster than Kennedy's OHSAA mark. If we are comparing converted marks it gets dicey determining the better mark but when the 1609 meter time is faster than Horter's 1600 meter time the superior mark is clear.
Old 05-13-18, 09:11 PM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofrunning View Post
Altor? Can you provide insight on this?
In a word: No.

The NFHS rulebook requires an FAT time for national records, but does not mention whether a split time during a longer race qualifies. Even if it did, the rulebook only specifies what is required to establish a national record. What any other organization does, whether it's a state association, a conference or league, a school, etc, is entirely up to them.

I did a quick look on the OHSAA website, and found nothing stating either way there either. I doubt it's something the Board of Directors ever considered when they approved the current record policy.
Old 05-13-18, 09:22 PM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
FWIW, the NCAA rule book doesn't mention split timed records either. But, since that rule book also specifies that the NCAA offices will only keep records for their championship tournaments only, I can see why they wouldn't care about such a scenario.
Old 05-14-18, 11:38 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania's post,

"I need my statistical advisors to weight in on this monumental issue: JAVMAN83 and Seek Up are you guys out there. Would it be acceptable to give Horter credit for breaking both 1600 meter and mile records from the same race?"

JAVMAN83 reply,

"ABSOLUTELY. An electronic clock at 1600m qualifies absolutely. That would be recognized by ATFS (Association of Track and Field Statisticians) . Alan Webb's 1500m HSR was set enroute to his mile record as there as an electronic clock at the 1500m point in Eugene".

Last edited by Lancermania; 05-16-18 at 11:39 AM..
Old 05-16-18, 11:35 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Since there is some disagreement on this forum about whether Horter's en route time at Mason will count as the all time OHSAA state track and field record in the 1600m run, I have contacted the person at the OHSAA office (Tim Stried) as being responsible for state records to get a definitive answer.
Old 05-16-18, 12:23 PM
All American

The whole adaption of the 1600m & 3200m meters by the NFHS has caused nothing but consternation to statisticians since they were adopted. They are a bastardization. Should've stuck with the Mile & 2 Mile or go to the internationally recognized 1500m & 3000m/5000m. No one, and I mean NO ONE else runs the 1600m/3200m except for American high schools! Arghhhh!
Old 05-16-18, 12:41 PM
All District

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
I see in the meet program he is running 1600 and 3200 at districts. Will he do the double at state?
Old 05-19-18, 11:03 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Horter is running in one post season meet, one final shot at breaking 4:00 in the mile before he starts college at IU: Brooks PR Invitational in Seattle, WA. The New Balance Outdoor Nationals tried to entice him to go to their event in North Carolina, but he opted for the Seattle event.
Old 05-20-18, 07:42 AM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Easiest to just ask here - What region is Lakota East?
Old 05-20-18, 07:49 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Lakota East will be at the DI Southwest Regional at Huber Heights Wayne. Horter will run both the 1600m and 3200m runs. Thanks to Chris Greene of Ohio Milesplit, here is a video of Horter running the 1600m run at the Winton
Woods District Meet. http://oh.milesplit.com/videos/290659

Last edited by Lancermania; 05-20-18 at 10:59 AM..
Old 05-20-18, 10:34 AM
All District

apeg is on a distinguished road
Winton Woods District Meet
Old 05-20-18, 05:29 PM
Lancers lead the way!

You go first. Tell us your evidence that he isn't, then I will present my evidence that he is
Old 05-20-18, 06:55 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Here is your quiz question. Answer it correctly and I will tell you all. Where did Horter's coach go to high school and what was his biggest achievement while there
Old 05-20-18, 07:15 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Here is your quiz question. Answer it correctly and I will tell you all. Where did Horter's coach go to high school and what was his biggest achievement while there
Fairfield HS, and state 1600 meter champion.
Old 05-20-18, 07:53 PM
Lancers lead the way!

I believe he coached high school in Iowa before going to East. Did he get the job at East when Jason Lindsey retired, got married, and rode off into the sunset. Jason was the first coach to win both a boys and girls state cross country championship.
Old 05-20-18, 08:52 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Since the quiz question was answered correctly, I will answer Rohbino's questions. Yes, I talked to Horter's coach Friday night at Winton Woods. There was an extended storm delay and there was plenty of time to chat. I went up to the coach to tell him my gut hunch is that the OHSAA will not allow Horter's 1600m en route time of 4:03.40 in the mile at the Mason Invitational to count as the state record for 1600 meters since it was not a 1600 meter only race.

He then told me that Dustin had accepted an invitation to the Brooks PR Invitational at SHORELINE STADIUM, SHORELINE, WASHINGTON on June 8th to run in the one mile run. Here is what Brooks says about the meet, "Every athlete invited will be flown out in style for an all expenses paid experience where Brooks will be hooking these kids up and making sure they not only run fast, but have a great time."

He also told me that Dustin had turned down an invitation from New Balance to run in their New Balance Outdoor Nationals June 15th-17th at Aggie Stadium in Greensboro, N.C.. As JAVMAN said earlier, Dustin should do what is best for Dustin and everyone else should go fly a kite. Dustin does not want to extend his high school season another week, but wants to get ready for I.U. which is the next stage in his life.

Last edited by Lancermania; 05-20-18 at 09:47 PM..