Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-21-18, 12:00 AM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
I love the Wise Guys moniker.
Old 04-21-18, 10:13 AM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Some good pictures of Earle B. in the Dispatch this morning. One in particular shows the somewhat diminutive Bruce, each arm thrust outward to each side , ball cap tipped slightly forward, holding back his players at the start of SPRING practice. A couple of the players are smiling as if saying, "I can't believe how much fun and exciting this is!"

Heard a fan last night tell this Bruce story. He said he got to know Earle through some philinthrophic organization and the guy said he wondered what it was like to enter the field at The Horseshoe on game day.

Some time went by and the gentleman was called by Bruce and he said he wanted to take him for a ride. Earle picked the guy up in Earle's car and they drove to the stadium where the outer gates were flung open. Earle drove to the exact spot where the team would gallop onto the field and just let the car idle there for a bit before lunging forward (briefly), as though entering the stadium at full speed.

Earle Bruce - another great character of sports.
Old 04-21-18, 02:44 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
The Gambler?
That sounds right. "Straight Arrow" Art Schlichter.

Remember Doug "White Lightning" Donley? I think he was on that Buckeye team, too.
Old 04-21-18, 07:24 PM
All American

Hey - song guys! Several months ago we were off in the bushes talking a bout groups that are somewhat obscure (at least to the older folks here). This led us to the band called The Sundays and their evocative song "This Is Where The Story Ends". Great song that I had never heard of.

Then, one of you cool cats - I'm thinking it was Zurnado, Eagle Guy, Black Hawk, one of the younger wayward ones who had a song where the refrain or repeated verse has something to do with "going to the woodshed". Then one of you all said that in England that is a euphemism for working on something - not necessarily music and that it is a fairly well known saying.

What was that band and song???
Old 04-21-18, 08:13 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hey - song guys! Several months ago we were off in the bushes talking a bout groups that are somewhat obscure (at least to the older folks here). This led us to the band called The Sundays and their evocative song "This Is Where The Story Ends". Great song that I had never heard of.

Then, one of you cool cats - I'm thinking it was Zurnado, Eagle Guy, Black Hawk, one of the younger wayward ones who had a song where the refrain or repeated verse has something to do with "going to the woodshed". Then one of you all said that in England that is a euphemism for working on something - not necessarily music and that it is a fairly well known saying.

What was that band and song???
"This Is Where the Story Ends", The Sundays.

Zunardo had a great "add-on",explanation that "going to the woodshed" referred to working on music - but not only a Brit saying (as I had offered earlier). It's my belief that the person in the song went down to the woodshed to cope with her sadness - a sanctuary of sorts. Glad that - in the end - she was now "on the inside". I imagine more than one singer/musician has done the same thing, going to their "happy place".

I could be wrong as it happened one time before - a long time ago.
Old 04-21-18, 10:50 PM
All American

Ok; somehow I thought it was in addition to the song by The Sundays.

Good Job!

Good movies: Isle of Dogs and A Quiet Place. Good song - Lay Lady Lay
Old 04-22-18, 09:31 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road

(the pictures are of Sharom Tate)

:>---

EGA
Old 04-22-18, 10:13 AM
All American

Two very evocative songs. "Here's Where... ." reminds me of a sad, late 60's song.

"Lay Lady, Lay", for me has relationship memories.

Sharon Tate would be 74 today. One of the many cultural reference points for people of a certain age.

No politics but sometimes I consider the Manson women/girls and their lives in prison. Of course, I guess the key term there is "lives". Most everything does come down to choices, doesn't it?
Old 04-22-18, 05:38 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
In 1979, he went 11-1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
As I get older, I don't remember every game like I used to (especially from 38 years ago), so I had to look it up: a 17-16 loss to USC in the Rose Bowl. So close.

Who was on that Buckeye team?
Two that come to mind were Jim Laughlin and Todd Bell, who combined for the winning score against Michigan that year, giving Earle an 18-15 victory at Ann Arbor. Laughlin blocked a punt in the 4th quarter and Bell ran it in for the winning score.

I got to meet Laughlin in 2002 at The Game while working as a Redcoat. OSU had given special letters to former Buckeyes, giving them access to the field to do a pre-game cheer for the football team. This friendly unassuming guy shows up (he absolutely did not look like a player) and tells my co-worker on the gate he forgot his letter. My co-worker had no idea who he was, and told him he couldn't come through, But I looked over, recognized the smile (and eyebrows) and said, "Any guy who blocks a punt to beat Michigan deserves to come through".

Laughlin thanked me and said he was happy there were folks who still remembered that. I read later where he played in the NFL for seven years.

Sadly, Todd Bell passed away in 2005 at the age of 46.
Old 04-22-18, 08:50 PM
All World

Quote:
Two very evocative songs. "Here's Where... ." reminds me of a sad, late 60's song.

"Lay Lady, Lay", for me has relationship memories.

Sharon Tate would be 74 today. One of the many cultural reference points for people of a certain age.

No politics but sometimes I consider the Manson women/girls and their lives in prison. Of course, I guess the key term there is "lives". Most everything does come down to choices, doesn't it?
It do, it do. As I have matured , I realize we all do not have the same physiological makeup (something someone in another thread so ably brought up), possibly making some folks more susceptible to be easily influenced than others.

We can all think of instances and events where this has occurred over the years. Fortunately, the vast majority of us (I think) have not fallen prey to their ruses. Could it be we just didn't come in contact with one of these jokers? Hmmm...

Does anyone remember the programmers/coders who committed suicide believing they would ascend to the Hale Bopp comet - or some such thing? Weird and sad.
Old 04-22-18, 09:05 PM
All American

Yes, I do recall that Hale Bopp stuff. Seems like the "leader" was a gray-haired crack pot who wore a robe.

I, as we all have, have made some really stupid decisions - but, thankfully, nothing illegal or overly dangerous. And, I have been lucky at times regarding fate. However, there were some bad dudes around in my little town that could easily have led me astray. Older, much tougher "hoods".

I am sure all of us had pretty decent parents and didn't want to disappoint them. And, then even as a first rate knucklehead I did not want my teachers or principals to be mad at me - although I gave them enough nonsense to be furious at times.

Although, I don't consider myself to be religious in a "practicing" way, I went to Sunday School every week with my friends for years. As I and Diva have pointed out many times, Upper Sandusky is a small town - you are never more than five blocks from anything here. I truly enjoyed walking the ten minutes it took several of my friends and I to walk to Sunday School on a beautiful morning.

As luck would have it, our Sunday teacher one year had a brother playing basketball at Ohio Wesleyan in Delaware and we got to go to a game there (great time) and we talked basketball a lot at the end of our hour Sunday class. Church probably had a more profound effect on some of of us than others and maybe it seeped into me also.

I am feeling religious right now - Thank God, the Cavs won!!

Last edited by Bevo; 04-22-18 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-23-18, 04:40 PM
Varsity

rdlwolverine is on a distinguished road
Taken to (or behind) the woodshed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
"This Is Where the Story Ends", The Sundays.

Zunardo had a great "add-on",explanation that "going to the woodshed" referred to working on music - but not only a Brit saying (as I had offered earlier). It's my belief that the person in the song went down to the woodshed to cope with her sadness - a sanctuary of sorts. Glad that - in the end - she was now "on the inside". I imagine more than one singer/musician has done the same thing, going to their "happy place".

I could be wrong as it happened one time before - a long time ago.
To me the phrase being taken to or behind the woodshed referred to getting a whooping. Also my father-in-law would use a phrase involving a derogatory racial term and the woodshed to indicate someone was of mixed ancestry.
Old 04-23-18, 07:52 PM
All American

No woodshed here! Tonight's good songs: Here Comes My Baby - The Tremelos, Shakin' All Over - Johnny Kidd and The Pirates or The Guess Who (check out The Skeleton Dance).

As for Here Comes My Baby - Wyandot County Fair Grounds' Dining Hall on a hot July night in 1967. Sweat. My friends and I and all of the girlies. Youth is wasted on the young!
Old 04-23-18, 08:09 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlwolverine View Post
To me the phrase being taken to or behind the woodshed referred to getting a whooping. Also my father-in-law would use a phrase involving a derogatory racial term and the woodshed to indicate someone was of mixed ancestry.
Luckily, I was never taken to the woodshed!

Bevo: I was a Sunday school goer, too, in addition to being "enrolled" in the church's Wednesday night youth club. Looking back, this may have kept me from being sent by my parents to "reform school" as was often threatened. (I guess I was a Katzenjammer kid like Hans and Fritz). I also played on my church's basketball team, which leads me to: Go Cavs! Maybe, they will squeak out this series...
Old 04-23-18, 09:17 PM
All American

Son here says, "Cavs win the series!"

One time when my dad, after finding seven bottles of Strohs beer under my bed, ask me if I "Liked living there?" Scary!! Almost as bad as when Louie and I got caught in the back yard "sleeping out" at 14 with two of our more intrepid and enlightened female acquaintances. (Trust me - nothing ever happened during these forays - other than some really sloppy kissing!). Nothing wrong with that.

Nevertheless, this time my dad AND the police were involved. Needless to say, these innocent shenanigans are exhibits A and A + concerning my reference to poor decision making.

After this, I believe I was encouraged to attend church three times a week, including - like you said - our Wednesday Night MYF (Methodist Youth Fellowship) meetings. Under the concept of making lemonaide out of lemons, we slow danced to records for about 50 of the 60 minutes we met. (It is amazing that one could slow dance to Shirley Bassey belting out "Gold Finger".) However, this led to further involvement of church officials. I couldn't catch a break and was in desperate need of a mentor of some sort!!

After these things, I wasn't so concerned about being sent away - as by then I was considering running away!

Too much Rock and Roll! !

Last edited by Bevo; 04-24-18 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-23-18, 11:22 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Great stories, guys!
Boy, my formative years must have been boring.
Old 04-24-18, 06:34 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
Great stories, guys!
Boy, my formative years must have been boring.
Sadly, I'm thinking the same thing. We didn't have MYF meetings like that at my church!
Old 04-24-18, 07:03 AM
All American

Least anyone believe I did this all summer long, my summers were probably like 98% of yours...maybe 95. But, summer was 90 days long then and I tried to squeeze every ounce out if it.
Summer in the mid 60's for a wayward adolescent boy in a small town consisted of swimming, camping out, fishing, playing catch, shooting baskets, going to the movies, kissing girls (my success rate was right around the Mendoza line), petty larcency and breaking and entering.

My friend Chuck, who lived "katty-cornered" from East School had an old rope swing and a big truck tire by a tree in his front yard. We spent a lot of time around that swing and sitting on that tire - talking. We did the same thing into the darkness under a street light at the intersection of Bigelow and Third in front of his house. I'd love to hear or see a transcript of those conversations; circa, 1963-67. Talking about whatever passed for talking about life at that age, watching the moths play tag with the light.

Ohiopup - thanks for The Skeleton Dance and I do recall the dancing chorus line.

Last edited by Bevo; 04-25-18 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-24-18, 07:08 AM
All Yappi

^

This always reminds me of this...

V

BONES....

EGA
Old 04-24-18, 01:29 PM
All American

I seem to have obliterated one of my posts which may make some of the others even more incomprehensible than usual.

The petty larcency and breaking and entering reference referred to my friends and I camping out and basically running all over town until the wee hours of the morning. We spent most of the night terrorizing girls' residences. But, we also would trek to the park pool.

Since the dad of whoever's house we were at would be yelling (do you know what time I have to get up?!) at us to "shut up!", we would accommodate him by leaving the premises.

We didn't know this at the time, but the police always knew who was where and mostly what we were doing. We pretty much left a trail for the cops by knocking on the windows of the houses of our female peers of Upper Sandusky. All law enforcement had to do was follow the pattern of the complaints coming in. We spent the night running all over town, being clothes' lined by clothes lines every where - with a barking dog or two thrown in for atmosphere.

The park part of these camp outs - especially during the hottest parts of summer - consisted of going to the park and climbing through a very conveniently open outside rest room window, then simply stepping onto a bench to be inside the pool. A quick dip and we would high tail it out of there.

Nothing made the heart race faster than to be in the water, cowering against a pool side wall while a patrol car drove slowly around the roads in the park. Very slowly.

The petty theft part of these small town nights involved Sheck's Grocery. Because Upper was basically a crime free zone, the grocers left their water melons out at night and even though it was right up town, we would still manage to haul a mellon out of there and either carry or put it in an oversized bike basket and haul it to the park.

Where once again we would enter through the rest room window, climb the ladder on the high board and one of us would drop it into the pool. Sort of what Letterman did 20 years later.

Any other delinquents out there? I was often scared to death and exhilarated at the same time.

But, trust me on this, there was nothing worse than getting busted by the man and hauled home, marched up to your front door and handed over to your parents. Nothing.

Nevertheless, I'd love to be my 14-year old self sitting under that street light, talking to Chuck generally about the night ahead and specifically the Isles' sisters.

Last edited by Bevo; 04-24-18 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-24-18, 02:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Does anyone remember the programmers/coders who committed suicide believing they would ascend to the Hale Bopp comet - or some such thing? Weird and sad.

Marshall Applewhite

EGA
Old 04-24-18, 02:32 PM
All American

And people think I'm nuts! He's the guy!! And, those are definitely the right songs!
Old 04-24-18, 07:22 PM
All American

Tonight's hits to click: Bob Dylan 30th. Anniversary Concert - My Back Pages; and the great raver, Friday on My Mind by The Easy Beats. (Use to be a radio station out of Cleveland that played this on Friday morning during the school year - circa: 66-69.)
Old 04-24-18, 08:30 PM
All World

Quote:
Tonight's hits to click: Bob Dylan 30th. Anniversary Concert - My Back Pages; and the great raver, Friday on My Mind by The Easy Beats. (Use to be a radio station out of Cleveland that played this on Friday morning during the school year - circa: 66-69.)
Damn hippies.

Next two after FOMM:

And, recent mention on this thread. Love it.

More nice skeletons. Freaking, yet funny!

Talking about whatever passed for talking about life at that age, watching the moths play tag with the light.

Good job!
Old 04-24-18, 10:07 PM
All American

WOW! Great stuff!!

I'll bet a million dollars that I saw Jason and Argonauts at the Star Theater in Upper San.

She's Not There and Tell Her No were great Zombie songs. I believe I was in the eighth grade when they both came out. Funny, She's Not There has a haunting quality to it and sounds like a good song to have Zombies dancing to it!

The Zombies played in New York just within the year. I saw an article about it and it was a sell out for around a week. Apparently, the band was playing a very famous album of theirs from a few years later in their early careers. A very highly thought of "concept" album that continues to draw raves today. I do not know the record.

Last edited by Bevo; 04-24-18 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-25-18, 07:04 AM
All Yappi

Tidbit Trivia...

Ray Harryhausen who did the stop-motion on the skeletons in Jason and the Argonauts,
used graphic representations of other 'monsters' from some of his previous films on the
shields of the skeletons.

EGA
Old 04-25-18, 09:04 AM
All Yappi

Mike, told his wife he was going to play 18 holes of golf with
his card playing buddies; Jim, Bill, and Harry.

His wife said: "OK but don't be late for dinner, your Mom is
coming over.

The guys have a 9 AM tee time, and off Mike goes.

Later that day Mike gets home at 10 PM, and the little woman is
just fuming mad.

Wife: "And JUST where have you been?"

Mike: "I'm sorry I'm late honey, but on the 3rd hole, Harry had a
heart attack."

Wife: "Oh! I'm sorry for being angry, so you've been at the hospital
with Harry."

Mike: "No, from then on; it was hit the ball, draggg... Harry,
hit the ball, draggg... Harry, hit the ball, draggg... Harry..."

- - -

ba-dump-bump

Enjoy the nice weather today.

EGA
Old 04-25-18, 09:22 AM
All American

I read about Ray Harryhausen last night. None other than Tom Hanks stated that Citizen Kane was not the greatest movie ever made - Jason and the Argonauts was.

Year released - 1963; so I am positive I saw it at the Star Theater in U.S.
Old 04-25-18, 09:06 PM
All American

I am a Cavs' fan - difficult to criticize 'bron for anything he does.

Tonight's nuggets include the great John Hartford song, Gentle On My Mind, which certainly helped Glen Campbell's career get going and which also opened The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour.

And at the other end of the spectrum Pushin' Too Hard by The Seeds. I have a nightmarish memory of The Seeds playing this in a sitcom that featured Kaye Ballard (who?) Older posters will know. Might have been an episode of Bewitched.

Remember how those "hip" comedies of the mid to late 60's tried to capture the youth movement by having a rock band play or by including a long-haired guy with a horrible British accent? Gross!!

Last edited by Bevo; 04-25-18 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-25-18, 09:32 PM
All Region

coldshoulder is on a distinguished road
A little bit contrarian, but I've been groovin on some Jimi Hendrix lately..."Crosstown Traffic" and the deliberate and soulful "The Wind Cries Mary".

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: