Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-20-18, 09:44 PM
fleadog101 fleadog101 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 03-18-13
Posts: 150
fleadog101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Possible trouble in the future for Benson Stadium

I have been doing some research on concert venues in the state of Ohio I have found something interesting.

Before I get into this discussion I want you to know that I want you to understand that I very much want the Hall of Fame Village project to succeed.

With that being said I have found the big successful outdoor venue for concerts without a doubt is Blossom Music center located just outside Cleveland Ohio in the Cuyhoga Valley National park system. It was constructed in 1966 and completed in 1968 at a cost of 8 million and was named after the Blossom Family a major contributor to its development.
Listed capacity is 23,000 and is currently in use.

Ponderosa Park just outside Salem Ohio opened in 1970 and closed in 2010 it was a major venue for Country Music all of the top Country stars performed here. 21,000 was the official seating capacity.

The Polaris/Germain Amphitheater was an outdoor venue in Columbus Ohio it was the largest venue for concerts before Nationwide arena Mapfire stadium and the Value city arena were built. It's seating capacity was listed at 20,000. I was built in 1993 completed for first concert June 1994. The venue had a major riot during one of the concerts where major destruction occurred. The venue closed in the fall of 2007 and was demolished in 2012.

Ponderosa Park closed in part of back taxes and like Polaris/Germain Amphitheater faced and was not successful in winning a lawsuit against it for noise both parks agreed to close as a settlement and paid out damages to the claimants.

Both venues suffered huge declines in there final 5 years as in events and attendance.

Blossom has had great success because of its location and almost 0 residential neighborhood and good traffic flow in and out. Even though Polaris/Germain was next to I 71 it had major difficulties.

I have said all of this with where and what I'm questioning about the concert side of Tom Benson Stadium how long before the law suits start coming in about the noise from concerts. Now comes Jackson Township who wants to build an Amphitheater of 2,500 seating capacity both will face this obstacle.
As I see the situation in Stark County with both Benson and Jackson Twp. The residential neighborhoods are much closer and I do see this as a potential Red Flag to both so far as concerts. This is going to be a real problem in the long run. I am also questioning the long sustainability of Benson in the concert venue business

I'm going to say this again I want the Hall of Fame Village and Jackson Twp. to succeed so there is no misunderstanding.
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 04-20-18, 10:26 PM
Perry 67's Avatar
Perry 67 Perry 67 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-03-02
Location: Perry Township Ohio
Posts: 7,910
Perry 67 is on a distinguished road
It is for FOOTBALL.

The concerts are an add on. You can't hear that type of concert at Benson in the surrounding neighborhood with that small a venue. I have been to two of the HOF concerts and there is no problem. 77 makes more noise than a concert. The stadium is for football. There are very few homes left in the exact vicinity of the stadium. What I would complain about is where the parking will be located. A parking deck would have to be as big as the one in Cleveland between The Jack and The Q. Also the stadium is kind of down in a hole below the homes on the West side. Next?
  #3  
Old 04-20-18, 10:36 PM
fleadog101 fleadog101 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 03-18-13
Posts: 150
fleadog101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry 67 View Post
The concerts are an add on. You can't hear that type of concert at Benson in the surrounding neighborhood with that small a venue. I have been to two of the HOF concerts and there is no problem. 77 makes more noise than a concert. The stadium is for football. There are very few homes left in the exact vicinity of the stadium. What I would complain about is where the parking will be located. A parking deck would have to be as big as the one in Cleveland between The Jack and The Q. Also the stadium is kind of down in a hole below the homes on the West side. Next?
I lived in the Neighborhood we used to play growing up in Fawcett Stadium and yes you can hear outside the stadium.

Parking will be the dagger that will kill this it has been a problem for a long time even when Fawcett was going strong to support this venue you need at least a min. 6,500 parking spaces to support this.
  #4  
Old 04-21-18, 12:32 PM
EagleFan's Avatar
EagleFan EagleFan is offline
-
 
Join Date: 03-04-02
Location: Ohio
Posts: 21,323
EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Lots of analysis here but what’s the point?
  #5  
Old 04-21-18, 02:04 PM
Sykotyk Sykotyk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Location: Lowellville, OH
Posts: 4,279
Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Lots of analysis here but what’s the point?
Just to denigrate it, I think.

The stadium isn't really set up well for big concerts. The 'stage' was more for the enshrinement ceremony than it is for a traditional stage for a major performance. You might have some type of festivals, etc. But, I can't see it being a major issue.

The big deal is getting the stadium used for football. Youth tournaments. State playoffs and finals. The NCAA D3 title. Maybe try some type of "Herbstreit Challenge" from years ago and bring in a bunch of local teams for a Week 1 'extravaganza' of football.

Maybe get the MAC title game (doubtful, as they seem to love Detroit and its dome). But, maybe get some other MAC games as a neutral site. Maybe a Kent State would play there for a televised game as some sort of 'showcase' to start the season, etc.

But, if the stadium is centered around the PFHOF and a shrine to football in general... make the stadium about football.
  #6  
Old 04-21-18, 04:15 PM
GregG GregG is offline
Moderated User
 
Join Date: 12-23-17
Posts: 298
GregG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Lots of analysis here but what’s the point?
The people of Canton don’t have any hope and think hitching on the coattails of a Uber successful business like the NFL is stupid. Just look at the city, it isn’t going anywhere and these people are too scared to change.

A suggestion for the “noise” of a concert that’s scheduled 4x year, tear the stadium down and construct a state of the art outdoor gun range. That would shut up these people who are so damn negative.

I laugh because the cars zooming on 77 have a peaceful sound like you’re in your favorite meditative state. Put some of the people out of their misery!
  #7  
Old 04-21-18, 05:22 PM
1234567 1234567 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-26-12
Posts: 18
1234567 is on a distinguished road
People live in Jackson so they never have to step foot into a city like Canton.
People in Jackson pay their bills. Jackson is thriving.

Canton is dead. Even the bars and grocery stores in Canton are closing. The last mayor of Canton moved to Jackson. Will the last person to leave Canton please turn out the lights.
  #8  
Old 04-21-18, 05:24 PM
queencitybuckeye queencitybuckeye is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-12-09
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,448
queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Germain didn't fail, the real estate became too valuable for other purposes.
  #9  
Old 04-21-18, 09:35 PM
tom 48 tom 48 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Posts: 4,487
tom 48 will become famous soon enough
Polaris was a dump, especially compared to Blossom and even Riverbend.

Polaris/ Germain:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus...ming-down.html

Blossom:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=3&ajaxhist=0

Riverbend:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0

Last edited by tom 48; 04-21-18 at 09:48 PM.
  #10  
Old 04-22-18, 07:13 AM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 1,743
my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
Just to denigrate it, I think.
Correct. He started two anti-Benson threads although a Benson thread has already been on the board for awhile.

People who enjoy the notion that this will fail are pretty twisted. There have already been a number of successful concerts there but his point seems to be it can't be successful
  #11  
Old 04-22-18, 07:29 AM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 1,743
my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234567 View Post
People live in Jackson so they never have to step foot into a city like Canton.

Canton is dead. Even the bars and grocery stores in Canton are closing. The last mayor of Canton moved to Jackson. Will the last person to leave Canton please turn out the lights.
heff/chiefy/sam the b has yet another new account?
  #12  
Old 04-22-18, 08:01 AM
1234567 1234567 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-26-12
Posts: 18
1234567 is on a distinguished road
The most famous things in Canton was Fawcett Stadium Named after a dead guy
Mckinley monument named after a dead guy
Mckinley high school named after a dead guy
Aultman hospital named after a dead guy
Tom Benson stadium Named after a dead guy
Timken Jr high named after a dead guy

Canton should have the funeral home hall of fame
  #13  
Old 04-22-18, 08:50 AM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 10,880
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
We need a couple more Benson Stadium threads...
  #14  
Old 04-22-18, 08:37 PM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 1,743
my2sense is on a distinguished road
I know right?

Since some seem worried about high school stadiums. how about the relic in North Canton? If they don'y pass the levy - and many believe it is unlikely - how will the 80 year old facility stay viable?
  #15  
Old 04-24-18, 08:49 PM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 1,743
my2sense is on a distinguished road
130,000 people successfully attended events at am unfinished Benson in 2017 but it probably won't work out when finished
  #16  
Old 05-02-18, 08:32 AM
Raymo Raymo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-30-09
Location: PRO FOOTBALL HOF CITY
Posts: 5,265
Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234567 View Post
The most famous things in Canton was Fawcett Stadium Named after a dead guy
Mckinley monument named after a dead guy
Mckinley high school named after a dead guy
Aultman hospital named after a dead guy
Tom Benson stadium Named after a dead guy
Timken Jr high named after a dead guy

Canton should have the funeral home hall of fame
Your so positive,good thing your not in the dead zone,BAM!
  #17  
Old 05-02-18, 08:47 AM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 13,393
Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleadog101 View Post
I have been doing some research on concert venues in the state of Ohio I have found something interesting.

Before I get into this discussion I want you to know that I want you to understand that I very much want the Hall of Fame Village project to succeed.

With that being said I have found the big successful outdoor venue for concerts without a doubt is Blossom Music center located just outside Cleveland Ohio in the Cuyhoga Valley National park system. It was constructed in 1966 and completed in 1968 at a cost of 8 million and was named after the Blossom Family a major contributor to its development.
Listed capacity is 23,000 and is currently in use.

Ponderosa Park just outside Salem Ohio opened in 1970 and closed in 2010 it was a major venue for Country Music all of the top Country stars performed here. 21,000 was the official seating capacity.

The Polaris/Germain Amphitheater was an outdoor venue in Columbus Ohio it was the largest venue for concerts before Nationwide arena Mapfire stadium and the Value city arena were built. It's seating capacity was listed at 20,000. I was built in 1993 completed for first concert June 1994. The venue had a major riot during one of the concerts where major destruction occurred. The venue closed in the fall of 2007 and was demolished in 2012.

Ponderosa Park closed in part of back taxes and like Polaris/Germain Amphitheater faced and was not successful in winning a lawsuit against it for noise both parks agreed to close as a settlement and paid out damages to the claimants.

Both venues suffered huge declines in there final 5 years as in events and attendance.

Blossom has had great success because of its location and almost 0 residential neighborhood and good traffic flow in and out. Even though Polaris/Germain was next to I 71 it had major difficulties.

I have said all of this with where and what I'm questioning about the concert side of Tom Benson Stadium how long before the law suits start coming in about the noise from concerts. Now comes Jackson Township who wants to build an Amphitheater of 2,500 seating capacity both will face this obstacle.
As I see the situation in Stark County with both Benson and Jackson Twp. The residential neighborhoods are much closer and I do see this as a potential Red Flag to both so far as concerts. This is going to be a real problem in the long run. I am also questioning the long sustainability of Benson in the concert venue business

I'm going to say this again I want the Hall of Fame Village and Jackson Twp. to succeed so there is no misunderstanding.
Should move this thread to the General Board as the discussions of concert venues in Ohio would be better served over there.

With that being said this is the 1st time I have ever heard the words Blossom Music Center and good traffic flow in and out in the same sentence. That place is notorious for lousy traffic flow and after close to 50 years they still have not figured out how to move cars in and out of that place efficiently. The only place I have sat in more concert traffic in Ohio is Legend Valley/Buckeye lake.
  #18  
Old 05-02-18, 02:03 PM
Rangerfan Rangerfan is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 07-07-02
Location: New Knoxville
Posts: 441
Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Should move this thread to the General Board as the discussions of concert venues in Ohio would be better served over there.

With that being said this is the 1st time I have ever heard the words Blossom Music Center and good traffic flow in and out in the same sentence. That place is notorious for lousy traffic flow and after close to 50 years they still have not figured out how to move cars in and out of that place efficiently. The only place I have sat in more concert traffic in Ohio is Legend Valley/Buckeye lake.
I sat in some Legendary traffic jams at Buckeye Lake in the 1983-1986 time frame.
  #19  
Old 05-02-18, 08:53 PM
THE OWNER THE OWNER is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-07-15
Posts: 161
THE OWNER is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
130,000 people successfully attended events at am unfinished Benson in 2017 but it probably won't work out when finished
Can you please post what Canton McKinley made money wise last year playing at TBS.
  #20  
Old 05-02-18, 09:08 PM
Summa Summa is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-30-08
Posts: 1,898
Summa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Should move this thread to the General Board as the discussions of concert venues in Ohio would be better served over there.

With that being said this is the 1st time I have ever heard the words Blossom Music Center and good traffic flow in and out in the same sentence. That place is notorious for lousy traffic flow and after close to 50 years they still have not figured out how to move cars in and out of that place efficiently. The only place I have sat in more concert traffic in Ohio is Legend Valley/Buckeye lake.
Blossom is one of the best amphitheater’s in the nation aesthetically. The woods surrounding the venue and ample room and additional natural beauty inside the make it one of the best. Most larger metro amphitheater’s are cookie cutter with unnatural constructed hills and a basic pavilion and a fence tightly around the venue. The problem with Blossom is that many big acts refuse to perform there due to all the red tape and ridiculous restrictions from local authorities.
  #21  
Old 05-03-18, 06:56 AM
Raymo Raymo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-30-09
Location: PRO FOOTBALL HOF CITY
Posts: 5,265
Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE OWNER View Post
Can you please post what Canton McKinley made money wise last year playing at TBS.
Call the BIG man BAKER,who would know that question on this thread.
  #22  
Old 05-03-18, 08:25 AM
Rusty Anchor Rusty Anchor is offline
Moderated User
 
Join Date: 02-09-18
Posts: 127
Rusty Anchor is an unknown quantity at this point
One thing that nobody somehow has mentioned is the safety concerns. No one in their right mind when subject themselves to being in Canton for a concert. That area is very dangerous and people should fear for their lives walking to their cars.
  #23  
Old 05-03-18, 09:13 AM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 13,393
Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
Blossom is one of the best amphitheater’s in the nation aesthetically. The woods surrounding the venue and ample room and additional natural beauty inside the make it one of the best. Most larger metro amphitheater’s are cookie cutter with unnatural constructed hills and a basic pavilion and a fence tightly around the venue. The problem with Blossom is that many big acts refuse to perform there due to all the red tape and ridiculous restrictions from local authorities.
There is some red tape with Blossom but not anything that crazy. The bigger problem is that the Orchestra eats up most of the Friday-Sunday dates from the 4th of July until Labor Day Weekend. If you are a big act trying to fit together the pieces of a summer shed tour Blossom becomes a big problem to fit into the schedule if you are blacked out of the best money making days of the week.
  #24  
Old 05-03-18, 09:15 AM
THE OWNER THE OWNER is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-07-15
Posts: 161
THE OWNER is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
Call the BIG man BAKER,who would know that question on this thread.
The #1 Canton Mckinley fan on here My2sense. He said 130,000 attended the stadium events so McKinley should be rolling in cash or were the vast majority of that number Hall of Fame events and OHSAA state championship games which McKinley gets zero dollars from. Which the point is whether it's incomplete or completely finished McKinley and the city are getting peanuts out of the deal. sure is a nice stadium though.
  #25  
Old 05-03-18, 10:35 AM
Mackinbiner Mackinbiner is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 6,209
Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE OWNER View Post
The #1 Canton Mckinley fan on here My2sense. He said 130,000 attended the stadium events so McKinley should be rolling in cash or were the vast majority of that number Hall of Fame events and OHSAA state championship games which McKinley gets zero dollars from. Which the point is whether it's incomplete or completely finished McKinley and the city are getting peanuts out of the deal. sure is a nice stadium though.
Canton City Schools is making out pretty good according to this - http://www.cantonrep.com/news/201804...f-village-deal
  #26  
Old 05-03-18, 10:38 AM
Ts1960 Ts1960 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-20-17
Posts: 1,760
Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
The Disneyland of football will make all your dreams happen...
  #27  
Old 05-03-18, 11:45 AM
THE OWNER THE OWNER is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-07-15
Posts: 161
THE OWNER is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
Canton City Schools is making out pretty good according to this - http://www.cantonrep.com/news/201804...f-village-deal
Not the way I read it. Alot of promises and lost revenue.
  #28  
Old 05-03-18, 04:36 PM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 1,743
my2sense is on a distinguished road
Massillon guys cannot bring themselves to say one decent thing or have a hopeful comment. And they call everyone else jealous.
  #29  
Old 05-03-18, 04:49 PM
Ts1960 Ts1960 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-20-17
Posts: 1,760
Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Massillon guys cannot bring themselves to say one decent thing or have a hopeful comment. And they call everyone else jealous.
About Canton, you sir are correct !
  #30  
Old 05-03-18, 05:58 PM
ringer2 ringer2 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-01-13
Posts: 494
ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Anchor View Post
One thing that nobody somehow has mentioned is the safety concerns. No one in their right mind when subject themselves to being in Canton for a concert. That area is very dangerous and people should fear for their lives walking to their cars.
Don’t be ridiculous. There are no safety concerns walking that area.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seems the OHSAA know something you don't about Benson Stadium future? my2sense Football 355 04-28-18 10:17 AM
2017 Year in Review Sykotyk National Football Board 2 01-15-18 12:51 PM
Week 12 Sites Announced! hdvhsmgr Football 14 11-06-17 01:46 PM
OHSAA Title games fleadog101 Football 24 08-28-17 12:17 AM
Crosstown Showdown Leaving Nippert? EHS 2001 Football 74 08-07-17 02:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz