Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > St Xavier Bombers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-16-18, 04:48 PM
All District

2020Dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casting Couch View Post
I heard lasalle may be getting another OL.
Hmmm

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-18, 08:29 PM
All World

ReLoad is an unknown quantity at this point
Sophomore Offensive lineman Jack Kirby gets a mention for his performance at the Combine in Indiana last month while freshman Liam Clifford is clocked at 4.4 in the 40 at the Combine

https://247sports.com/Article/Top-Pe...2018-115321560
Old 03-17-18, 09:02 PM
All World

Great article on Paris Johnson posted 3 days ago on 247sports.com

Meet the nation's No. 1 offensive tackle in 2020 Paris Johnson

Steve Wiltfong - Mar 14, 2:01 PM

Cincinnati (Ohio) St. Xavier's Paris Johnson Jr. has gained 120 pounds in less than three years evolving from a defensive end to a tailor-made offensive tackle.

Cincinnati (Ohio) St. Xavier coach Steve Specht says “when God created left tackles, he created them in the mold of Paris Johnson Jr.”

It just took Johnson awhile to get to this point.

The newly-crowned No. 1 ranked offensive tackle in the Top247 2020 Player Rankings, the 6-foot-7, 285-pound Johnson was only 165 pounds the spring before his freshman year. The mass came fast after that, up to 6-3, 205 as a freshman he shined at defensive end on the 9th grade team. He wrestled at 220 pounds that winter and was up to 265 pounds this past fall where he shined at left tackle late in the season and in the playoffs for the national powerhouse high school football program.

“He’s a special talent,” Specht stated.

College coaches certainly agree.

Rutgers had the foresight to see all this coming and extend a scholarship back in May of 2017. Johnson comes from good genetics, his father played safety at Miami (Ohio) and was selected in the fifth round of the 1999 NFL Draft, but there wasn’t any varsity tape to evaluate at that time. And it was the period where Johnson was making the transition from defensive end to offensive tackle.

Specht said Johnson “was fine at the freshman level, he could dominate games” coming off the edge and chasing the quarterback, but the upside was protecting the passer.

“I definitely was excited about the transition to offensive tackle,” Johnson said. “I love the game and any way I can compete and benefit the team, I’m all for it!”

Trust came into play also for Johnson and his mother Monica.

“I have to give credit to Coach Specht and Coach Terrell (Williams) the strength coach,” she said. “I have to be honest, I did not see it at first, and I did question it, but Paris did what Steve told him to do.”

“I trust Coach Specht and Coach T’s judgement about everything,” Johnson himself added.

They were right as in November the offers trickled in from Cincinnati and Toledo before Michigan State got it rolling in. The elder Johnson worked in an off-field recruiting role for Mark Dantonio during the Spartans run to the College Football Playoff. Clemson offered in early December, Ohio State a few days after that and now just three months later with the tape circulating Johnson has just about every heavyweight including Auburn, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State, Stanford and Tennessee. Alabama is expected soon.

The length is obvious, the athleticism is too. Johnson’s mentality is what makes him unique.

“He’s incredibly aggressive,” Specht said. “He’s able to flip that switch. He’s a great kid, a good boy but when he gets on the field he’s able to make that transition. He plays angry and the best part is he’s young. He’s barely been able to scratch the surface of his talent but he has the demeanor for it.”

Monica says around 8th grade was when Johnson’s goals in football became evident.

“He knew what he wanted to accomplish,” she said. “He’s disciplined in the classroom, stays late after practice, meets with the coaches to study film, always puts other people first. I feel that’s why he is so successful. I felt as his mother I had to put the resources and people in place to help him.”

Johnson would like to name favorites before his junior season. He’s been to Ohio State a few times along with Michigan State and Pittsburgh where his father currently works. Recently he was at Kentucky and Notre Dame. This weekend he'll be back in East Lansing before checking out Michigan. He’ll be back at Ohio State on March 30, Penn State will get a visit on April 2 and back to Pitt on April 3. The plan is to get to Stanford in late June or early July and he’ll also go see Auburn, Alabama, Clemson, Georgia and Florida State in June.
Old 03-19-18, 04:06 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
No idea on Mastrobuono either, but he didn't impress at all last year so not too worried either way.
Hope Hundley plays but don't see him at RB - he can play other spots, while Payne and Newman can only play RB.
Dolle will be good eventually (maybe this year, but we'll see).
Hope Patterson plays JV - didn't impress too much last year so he'll need the reps - he has plenty of time.
Below is link to Newman’s sophomore year highlights

https://new.berecruited.com/athletes/3354637

Last edited by ReLoad; 03-19-18 at 05:18 AM.
Old 03-19-18, 09:57 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
Sophomore Offensive lineman Jack Kirby gets a mention for his performance at the Combine in Indiana last month while freshman Liam Clifford is clocked at 4.4 in the 40 at the Combine

https://247sports.com/Article/Top-Pe...2018-115321560
Liam Clifford 6’2” 185lb freshmen QB with great arm and 4.4 speed.
Freak athlete. Pic from last month combine.....

Last edited by ReLoad; 03-20-18 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-19-18, 10:45 AM
All World

Liam Cliffords 8th grade highlights (Missed freshman year due to injury)

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6080162...d81479c8d76765
Old 03-19-18, 10:50 AM
All World

I don't think I've ever seen an 8th grade QB with that combination of size, speed, elusiveness, vision and arm. His ability to roll left and throw across his body with accuracy and depth is amazing at that age.
Old 03-19-18, 08:12 PM
All World

Article from WCPO's Mike Dyer:

St. Xavier offensive lineman Paris Johnson Jr. commits to the 2020 All-American Bowl

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-sch...-american-bowl
Old 03-19-18, 08:19 PM
All World

Above article Mike Dyer posted today....

CINCINNATI – St. Xavier sophomore offensive lineman Paris Johnson Jr. has verbally committed to the 2020 All-American Bowl.

Johnson, one of the nation’s top players in the 2020 class, tweeted his verbal commitment to the prestigious football all-star game Sunday night. St. Xavier coach Steve Specht confirmed his commitment Monday morning.

"It was huge to have the opportunity to be an All-American," Johnson told WCPO Monday morning. "I was grateful to receive the invitation as a sophomore."

The 2020 All-American Bowl, formerly the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, is scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 4, 2020 in San Antonio.

“We just thought Paris was a no-brainer to invite in the 2020 class,” said John Schmid, Director of Player Personnel for the All-American Bowl.

The U.S. Army is no longer the title sponsor but may be involved in the game in another way. The all-star game is weighing its multiple options for a title sponsor, according to event organizers.

Johnson, who is 6 feet 7 and 285 pounds, is rated Ohio’s No. 1 overall player in the 2020 class and the nation’s No. 7 player nationally in that class as a four-star recruit by 247Sports.

Johnson, who lives in Loveland and attended St. Margaret of York for grade school, has 33 reported scholarship offers, according to 247 Sports. Some of those schools include include Alabama, Ohio State, Stanford, Notre Dame, Michigan State, Auburn, Florida State, Georgia, Clemson, Penn State, Miami (Fla.) and several others.

Mark Porter, Director ScoutingOhio.com, says Johnson looks like he could play left tackle for any college program right now.

"He has all the tools," Porter said. "He's an unreal athlete for his size. As he gets stronger he will be one of the most dominating linemen in the country. He's an awesome pass protector."

St. Xavier, a 2017 Division I regional finalist and Greater Catholic League South Division outright champion, had an 11-2 record in 2017.

Johnson would join a list of other recent All-Americans within the St. X football program including quarterback Sean Clifford (Penn State) and offensive lineman Matt Bockhorst (Clemson) who were selected to the 2017 Under Armour All-America Game.

Prior to that, St. X had U.S. Army Bowl All-Americans in current Ohio State linebacker Justin Hilliard (2015/did not play due to injury) and the late Matt James (2010).
Old 03-20-18, 09:31 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatz View Post
Reload, heard Mastrobuono (sp?) transferred out? Also star Lakota West qb transferred to LaSalle? any truth to those, you always have good intel.
Mastrobuono transferred to Benedictine up in the Cleveland area.
Old 03-20-18, 11:09 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020Dad View Post
Mastrobuono transferred to Benedictine up in the Cleveland area.
Family move back to Cleveland.
May increase the likelihood that Kiessling moves from LB to the DLine
Old 03-20-18, 12:01 PM
All District

Quote:
I would agree, we are deep at the LB position, our biggest void is DL. I see Kiessling holding down one of the Defensive End positions. I have no idea who the nose guard will be.
Old 03-20-18, 05:24 PM
Varsity

River_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Buzz is very appreciative of his time at St. X. From an academic standpoint he made strides that are going to greatly benefit him through high school and beyond. We couldn’t have been anymore impressed with the school. It’s reputation as the best high school in the state is well deserved. But it was time to return home.
After watching three minutes of the Clifford kids highlights I’m positive there is another title or two in your immediate future. Good luck Bombers.
Old 03-20-18, 07:51 PM
All World

L Hand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Eagle View Post
Buzz is very appreciative of his time at St. X. From an academic standpoint he made strides that are going to greatly benefit him through high school and beyond. We couldn’t have been anymore impressed with the school. It’s reputation as the best high school in the state is well deserved. But it was time to return home.
After watching three minutes of the Clifford kids highlights I’m positive there is another title or two in your immediate future. Good luck Bombers.
Once a Bomber, always a Bomber. I am sure Buzz will do great at Benedictine. Of course, he is going to have to trade in royal blue for powder blue and pick up some brown somewhere. Don’t worry, it’ll grow on you.
Old 03-20-18, 08:46 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020Dad View Post
I would agree, we are deep at the LB position, our biggest void is DL. I see Kiessling holding down one of the Defensive End positions. I have no idea who the nose guard will be.
In the past Specht has moved a large offensive lineman to NG with success. Maybe senior Hoffman at 300lb fits the bill.
Old 03-20-18, 09:02 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Eagle View Post
I was looking forward to watching Buzz develop.
I will be following Benedictine closer now.
A solid Divison 2 program.
I thought Buzz could find a starting job his junior year in the defensive front 6 or as a FB if Specht decided to do his Woody Hayes impersonation.
But with Liam Clifford or Wyatt Hudepohl under center he will probably want to utilize receivers like Marshall Lang and Jared Kreimer
Good luck to you, your son and the entire family.
Old 03-20-18, 09:25 PM
All World

2018 Bomber Offense Projection
QB: Liam Clifford, Wyatt Hudepohl, Jared Kreimer or Drew Mayer
WR1: Jared Kreimer
WR2: Marshall Lang
WR3: Pat McIntyre/Liam Clifford
RB1: Chris Payne
RB2: Kellen Newman
LG: Jack Kirby
LT: Paris Johnson
C: ????
RG: Matt Mohn
RT: ????
Old 03-20-18, 09:26 PM
All World

Offensively I think the QB position will come down to either Clifford or Hudepohl.
If Clifford doesn’t win the QB position he will be used as a WR with his 4.4 speed and athleticism.
Specht will keep Kreimer at WR and will get him 20 touches a game using sweeps, direct snaps etc
Lang will have a breakout season and McIntyre will be an effective possession receiver.
Payne and Newman will be a great one-two punch with completely different running styles.
The OLine will be formidable with one of the best tackles in the country who is now 6’8” and a LEAN 295lb and 3 year starters Mohn and Kirby (will be a 3 year starter next season)
Upper class candidates for the center and right tackle positions include seniors Hoffman, Nurre and Fleming and juniors Gardner and Bergmann
Old 03-20-18, 09:27 PM
All World

2018 Bomber Defense Projection
DE: Thomas Kiessling
NG: ????
DE: Garren Carter/Hayden Bailey
OLB: Noah Taylor
ILB: Nate Arthur
OLB: Will MacDonald
S: Raja Bridges
S: Drew Mayer/Trevor Potts
S: Tucker Hundley
CB: B.J. Ferguson
CB: Nathan Stockman
Old 03-20-18, 09:33 PM
All World

Defensively I think Kiessling will move from LB to defensive end while a pair of juniors Carter and Bailey will hold down the other side.
The NG position is a huge question mark.
Taylor, Arthur and MacDonald are best bets for the LB corps however there are a lot of other talented LBs in the program.
I see Stockman with his cover ability, height and athleticism moving to corner opposite returning starter Ferguson.
Both Bridges and Potts have varsity experience and I see Hundley and Mayer (transfer from Colorado) rounding out the secondary
Old 03-21-18, 09:54 AM
All District

Quote:
Defensively I think Kiessling will move from LB to defensive end while a pair of juniors Carter and Bailey will hold down the other side.
The NG position is a huge question mark.
Taylor, Arthur and MacDonald are best bets for the LB corps however there are a lot of other talented LBs in the program.
I see Stockman with his cover ability, height and athleticism moving to corner opposite returning starter Ferguson.
Both Bridges and Potts have varsity experience and I see Hundley and Mayer (transfer from Colorado) rounding out the secondary
With Hoffmans' size he could command a double team and keep the linebackers clean. He moved to the defensive side of the ball last year and I hear he has been really working on his conditioning in the offseason. Also although he is young Gio Albanese may see some time if he is strong enough. I liked what I saw out of him last year, he has a nose for the ball and a super motor.

Last edited by 2020Dad; 03-21-18 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-21-18, 12:25 PM
Varsity

BigFatz is on a distinguished road
Sr Sam Glines may be in cb mix. Ben's younger brother, unfortunately doesn't have Ben's size.

Taul looked pretty good on JV O line last year, brother of varsity TE last yr, he may be in OLIne mix as well.
Old 03-21-18, 10:27 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Cincinnati St. Xavier
08/24 A West Chester Lakota West
08/31 H Cincinnati Colerain
09/07 A Cincinnati Walnut Hills
09/14 A Indianapolis Cathedral (IN)
09/21 H Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller
09/28 A Cincinnati Elder
10/05 A Cincinnati La Salle
10/12 H Mississauga Football North Prep Academy (ON)
10/20 H Cleveland St. Ignatius
10/26 H St. Xavier (KY)
Let's breakdown the opposition
Old 03-21-18, 10:43 PM
All World

Week 1 Opponent: Lakota West
2017 Record: 2-8
Return 5 starters on offense and 6 starters on defense
Key Losses: LB Xavier Peters (Florida State), QB MyJaden Horton (transfer to LaSalle), OL Tyler Bentley (Pittsburgh)
Key Returners: Senior DE Steven Facheaux (4 star recruit), Junior RB David Afari (leading rusher in GMC with 1,109 yards and 5.9 yards per carry), Sophomore LB Landon Rosier (team's 2nd leading tackler), Sophomore LB David Jones (team's 3rd leading tackler)

Outlook: Started 6 sophomores last year including the GMC leading rusher and a couple of solid LBs. Should be able to effectively run the ball and stop the ball but will be shackled by the ineptitude of the amazing Larry Cox

Last edited by ReLoad; 03-21-18 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-21-18, 11:00 PM
All World

Week 2 Opponent: Colerain
2017 Record: 11-3, Lost to eventual state champion Pick Central 41-28 in D1 State Semifinals
Return 7 starters on offense, 6 starters on defense
Key Losses: QB Gunnar Leyendecker, WR/DB Ja'von Hicks (Cincinnati), LB Dan Bolden (GMC leading tackler, Cincinnati), the entire defensive line
Key Returners: Senior OL Rusty Feth, Senior TE/LB Eric Hicks, Senior QB/FB Deane Moore-Smith, Senior RB/DB Syncere Jones, Senior RB J.J. Davis, Senior FB/LB Ivan Pace, Senior LB Luke Bolden (team's 2nd leading tackler)

Outlook: J.J. Davis rushed for an incredible 464 yards in the final 2 games vs StX and Pick Central. Smith-Moore will move to QB and along with FB Ivan Pace and TB Syncere Jones these 4 players will be one of the best running attacks ever seen at the high school level. If they can replace the 3 down linemen the defense should be stifling as they return 6 in the backfield. This team is the favorite in region 4 and possibly in the state.
Old 03-21-18, 11:15 PM
All World

Week 3 Opponent: Walnut Hills
2017 Record: 3-7
Key Losses: skill players Cummings, McDonald and Borden
Key Returning Players: Senior OL/DL Jowon Briggs (Notre Dame, Ohio St, Michigan St, Alabama), Tyrese Dorn, Senior QB Ryan Mickens, Junior RB Tyrese Dorn

Outlook: Lose 3 skill players that accounted for 90% of the offense, will be seriously outmanned against StX as last year (43-0 at halftime), Briggs is one of the best defensive linemen in the city
Old 03-21-18, 11:30 PM
All World

Week 4 Opponent: Cathedral
2017 Record: 7-6, lost to Columbus East in the 4th round of the IN big school playoffs
Return 4 starters on offense and 5 starters on defense
Key Losses: OL Emil Ekiyor (Michigan), RB Markese Stepp (Notre Dame), WR Daijon Collins (Indiana State), ILB Hugh Davis (Boston College), ILB Jackson Barrow (Toledo)
Key Returner: QB - #4 Roman Purcell (Jr) 6'-1" 205 lbs offers from Kentucky and TCU, top ranked QB in midwest in his class
Outlook: Lost 5 D1 players to graduation. QB Purcell is the only returning D1 player but he is a good one. May not have much of a supporting cast this season
Old 03-21-18, 11:37 PM
All World

Week 5 Opponent: Moeller

Old 03-21-18, 11:48 PM
All World

Week 6 Opponent: Elder
2017 Record:6-4, missed playoffs
Return 5 players on offense and 5 players on defense
Key Losses: DE Spencer Bono (Boston College), QB Danny Nieman, WR Jack O'Brien, WR Danny Faillace
Key Returners: Senior QB Michael Bittner, Senior WR Kyle Trischler and Junior OL Jake James

Outlook: Bittner showed promise in Weeks 7 and 8 vs Moeller and Winton Woods and then when the playoff berth was on the line he tanked vs LaSalle in Week 10 throwing 2 interceptions and fumbling twice. Expect another .500 season from the Panthers and a 50/50 chance of making the playoffs.
Old 03-21-18, 11:55 PM
All World

Week 7 Opponent: LaSalle
2017 Record: 10-3) lost to Winton Woods 16-14 in Ohio D2 Region 8 Final
Key Losses: WR Josh Whyle (Cincinnati), QB Griffin Merritt, DB Elijah Ferguson
Key Returners: Junior RB Cam Porter, Senior LB Jarred Uran, Senior LB Garret Bledsoe, Senior LB Brody Ingle
Outlook: The Lancers return a decent RB in Porter and possibly the best LB corps in the tri-state however the slide back to mediocrity continues as the recruiting pipeline continues to dry up.