Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who will win each district in the DIV Bowling Green?
[Elida] Antwerp (Antwerp) 1 5.56%
[Elida] Ayersville (Defiance) 0 0%
[Elida] Continental (Continental) 0 0%
[Elida] Crestview (Convoy) 13 72.22%
[Elida] Fort Jennings (Fort Jennings) 0 0%
[Elida] Hicksville (Hicksville) 0 0%
[Elida] Lincolnview (Van Wert) 0 0%
[Elida] Ottoville (Ottoville) 0 0%
[Elida] Parkway (Rockford) 0 0%
[Elida] St John's (Delphos) 0 0%
[Elida] Wayne Trace (Haviland) 2 11.11%
[Findlay] Arcadia (Arcadia) 0 0%
[Findlay] Columbus Grove (Columbus Grove) 1 5.56%
[Findlay] Cory-Rawson (Rawson) 0 0%
[Findlay] Holgate (Holgate) 1 5.56%
[Findlay] Kalida (Kalida) 2 11.11%
[Findlay] Leipsic (Leipsic) 0 0%
[Findlay] Mc Comb (Mc Comb) 0 0%
[Findlay] Miller City (Miller City) 0 0%
[Findlay] North Baltimore (North Baltimore) 0 0%
[Findlay] Pandora-Gilboa (Pandora) 9 50.00%
[Findlay] Patrick Henry (Hamler) 0 0%
[Fostoria] Arlington (Arlington) 6 33.33%
[Fostoria] Calvert (Tiffin) 1 5.56%
[Fostoria] Hardin Northern (Dola) 0 0%
[Fostoria] Hopewell-Loudon (Bascom) 1 5.56%
[Fostoria] Mohawk (Sycamore) 0 0%
[Fostoria] New Riegel (New Riegel) 0 0%
[Fostoria] Old Fort (Tiffin) 1 5.56%
[Fostoria] Riverdale (Mt. Blanchard) 0 0%
[Fostoria] Seneca East (Attica) 0 0%
[Fostoria] St Joseph Central Catholic (Fremont) 3 16.67%
[Fostoria] Vanlue (Vanlue) 0 0%
[Napolean] Edgerton (Edgerton) 0 0%
[Napolean] Edon (Edon) 0 0%
[Napolean] Emmanuel Christian School (Toledo) 0 0%
[Napolean] Fayette (Fayette) 0 0%
[Napolean] Hilltop (West Unity) 1 5.56%
[Napolean] Maumee Valley Country Day (Toledo) 2 11.11%
[Napolean] Montpelier (Montpelier) 0 0%
[Napolean] North Central (Pioneer) 0 0%
[Napolean] Ottawa Hills (Toledo) 0 0%
[Napolean] Pettisville (Pettisville) 6 33.33%
[Napolean] Stryker (Stryker) 1 5.56%
[Napolean] Toledo Christian (Toledo) 3 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-18, 10:31 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
DIV Bowling Green Regional

Discuss the DIV Bowling Green and pick a champion from each district...

Brackets:
Elida: http://brackets.myohsaa.org/bracket....s=20369&not=11
Findlay: http://brackets.myohsaa.org/bracket....s=20366&not=11
Fostoria: http://brackets.myohsaa.org/bracket....s=20373&not=11
Napolean: http://brackets.myohsaa.org/bracket....s=20358&not=12
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-18, 09:12 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Nice to see some variety in the voting....but c'mon, Pettisville and Arlington have as much chance of moving on as the Browns do of winning the Super Bowl....lol. This Regional is Crestview's to lose....and I don' t see that happening. Knight fans can start packing their bags for Columbus
Old 02-13-18, 09:48 AM
Junior Varsity

braygatron4 is on a distinguished road
If not Pettisville/Arlington, who else from that District will make it out? Pettisville, Toledo Christian, and MVCD have an equal chance to make it to regionals from Napoleon. And Arlington is the best average team in the horribly weak Fostoria district.

None of these teams would be favorites over the top four seeds in the Elida/Findlay Districts. Really wish they would go to a super-district seeding to even out the Districts. They do this in The Columbus/Dayton Districts. I'm sure teams/fans wouldn't mind traveling a little further in return for the top teams getting spread out. The top three teams in Elida District -- Crestview, WT, Delphos St. John's -- realistically should all be in Regionals with maybe Pandora-Gilboa being the other.
Old 02-13-18, 09:56 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by braygatron4 View Post
If not Pettisville/Arlington, who else from that District will make it out? Pettisville, Toledo Christian, and MVCD have an equal chance to make it to regionals from Napoleon. And Arlington is the best average team in the horribly weak Fostoria district.

None of these teams would be favorites over the top four seeds in the Elida/Findlay Districts. Really wish they would go to a super-district seeding to even out the Districts. They do this in The Columbus/Dayton Districts. I'm sure teams/fans wouldn't mind traveling a little further in return for the top teams getting spread out. The top three teams in Elida District -- Crestview, WT, Delphos St. John's -- realistically should all be in Regionals with maybe Pandora-Gilboa being the other.
Sorry, didn't read it close enough....I missed the part about "each district"....thought the voting was for who would win the regional. In that case, the Birds and Devils probably deserve a couple votes
Old 02-13-18, 10:12 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
Sorry, didn't read it close enough....I missed the part about "each district"....thought the voting was for who would win the regional. In that case, the Birds and Devils probably deserve a couple votes
In that case, you're right. Crestview's regional to lose. Still think P-G has as good of a shot as anyone to take them down, though.
Old 02-13-18, 02:36 PM
All District

thereckoning is on a distinguished road
Good thought process for sure. The problem lies within the Super-sectional that Crestview/Wayne Trace/St Johns has elected into via the Northwest District. At some point, one would think that coaches would see this as a problem and ask out of the super-sectional format in the northwest district and get back to traveling like they did a few years ago. Crestview and St Johns would still meet in Districts (most likely) because they have for a long time, but Wayne Trace could go north.
Old 02-13-18, 05:13 PM
Junior Varsity

allohiotraveler is on a distinguished road
Very much agree with Crestview's regional to lose. While experienced though, youth may get them in the regional... Look at how long it took Helm, Bolenbaugh, and Etzler to break through. I realize neither of the three with like Javin. However, we shall see. I watched P-G and think they have a lack of impact players. Johnson is very good, but ball handling is an issue for most of the team, outside a few players. I think a matchup with St. Henrys or Fort Loramie is imminent for the Knights.
Old 02-14-18, 12:52 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by allohiotraveler View Post
Very much agree with Crestview's regional to lose. While experienced though, youth may get them in the regional... Look at how long it took Helm, Bolenbaugh, and Etzler to break through. I realize neither of the three with like Javin. However, we shall see. I watched P-G and think they have a lack of impact players. Johnson is very good, but ball handling is an issue for most of the team, outside a few players. I think a matchup with St. Henrys or Fort Loramie is imminent for the Knights.
Only one player in the rotation younger than a junior, correct? And a few of them have been playing varsity since frosh/soph year and are juniors and seniors. I think Crestview's time has arrived. And agree that St Henry is going to be a state showdown for them. Two teams that "know" eachother and likely play summer ball against eachother. Makes for a good story if it comes to that.
Old 02-14-18, 01:01 PM
All District

BacktoBack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Very much agree with Crestview's regional to lose. While experienced though, youth may get them in the regional... Look at how long it took Helm, Bolenbaugh, and Etzler to break through. I realize neither of the three with like Javin. However, we shall see.
That was one of the best high school teams I have ever seen anywhere. And when I say team, I mean synergy, synchronicity, unity. I was shocked when I heard Helm wasn't playing basketball, but rather baseball at the next level. When I think of great high school teams(especially at the D3/D4 level), they are the gold standard to me.

Have not seen Javin since early this year and am looking forward to it. Unless something strange happens, I agree with the others that it is Crestview's regional to lose.
Old 02-15-18, 12:56 PM
Junior Varsity

That team (2013-2014 Crestview Knights) was fun to watch. Their state semifinal game was Thursday night against New Madison Tri Village and those two little communities rocked the Schott. I believe that was a close game through and through. This Crestview team is tough as well. Jeremy Best can coach these kids up. I worry about shooting from this team, outside of Butts and Etzler. Kline can be suspect. That makes me think they could get upset.. but it seems likely they won't. Might be forming a nice two year dynasty (Lincolnview 95-97)?
Old 02-15-18, 01:25 PM
All American

Quote:
I guess like anything else, strange things can happen, but if both teams play as well as they can, PG's got nothing for Crestview. Personally I think that if PG palyed the same schedule as Delphos St Johns or St Henry that they're likely a 15-16 win team at best instead of the likely 21 that they'll end up. I just don't see their schedule preparing them to face the teams they're going to see if they manage to get out of the District
Old 02-17-18, 11:06 PM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
I guess like anything else, strange things can happen, but if both teams play as well as they can, PG's got nothing for Crestview. Personally I think that if PG palyed the same schedule as Delphos St Johns or St Henry that they're likely a 15-16 win team at best instead of the likely 21 that they'll end up. I just don't see their schedule preparing them to face the teams they're going to see if they manage to get out of the District
Who's the head coach at PG?
Old 02-20-18, 10:46 AM
All District

Quote:
That team (2013-2014 Crestview Knights) was fun to watch. Their state semifinal game was Thursday night against New Madison Tri Village and those two little communities rocked the Schott. I believe that was a close game through and through. This Crestview team is tough as well. Jeremy Best can coach these kids up. I worry about shooting from this team, outside of Butts and Etzler. Kline can be suspect. That makes me think they could get upset.. but it seems likely they won't. Might be forming a nice two year dynasty (Lincolnview 95-97)?
Who is Butts? Sheets? Good analysis, but I believe you are cutting this team short.

The stout kid is one of the best post players in D IV. Kline is a game changer on either end of the floor. Dealey, Gibson, Sheets, Vining are all great players and can catch fire any night. And we all know Etzler is D 1 material. I believe there's a few names I could be missing.

This is quite possibly the best team I've ever seen play outside of the Lincolnview teams in the 90s (for a small division 4 team). Better than the '14 knights.
Old 02-20-18, 10:06 PM
Junior Varsity

Yes I am sorry... Wade Sheets...

And we will see. I personally won't be crowning them the way you are currently through. Considering the knights were 29-0, playing a tough schedule as well, I will not give that title away easily. However, they are mostly all juniors. Lets see if they make it to the state before we delegate them the best team in D4 history. Remember Lincolnview should've won two if it wasn't for Jason Collier.
Old 02-21-18, 02:21 PM
All District

Quote:
Yes I am sorry... Wade Sheets...

And we will see. I personally won't be crowning them the way you are currently through. Considering the knights were 29-0, playing a tough schedule as well, I will not give that title away easily. However, they are mostly all juniors. Lets see if they make it to the state before we delegate them the best team in D4 history. Remember Lincolnview should've won two if it wasn't for Jason Collier.
Not the best team in D IV history. The best team outside of that Lincolnview team in recent history. They were great. The 29-0 knights were great but there weren't many great teams that season. If we are going to look at best teams in D IV history, we can go back to the Wayne Trace teams with Welch or the old Crestview teams with Doug Etzler. Even the LCC teams with the Hutchins brothers. We are of course referring to this era and a Northwest Ohio area. We could go back to the Bobby Hoying teams of St. Henry or the Lawrence Funderburk teams of Columbus if we are crowning supremacy overall. A debate for another day. As for teams in Northwest Ohio, I haven't seen all the games, but from what I have seen, this Crestview team has a two year run to state on their hands.

However, I see you are a Crestview fan and can respect your opinion. You likely see many of the games
Old 02-21-18, 03:07 PM
Junior Varsity

UKnowIt is on a distinguished road
Liberty Benton District:
Pandora over Miller City
North Baltimore over Kalida

Pandora over Kalida

Fostoria District: A VERY BAD DISTRICT
Arlington over St. Joe
Mohawk over New Riegel

Arlington over Mohawk

Elida District:
Crestview over Ottoville
St. Johns over Wayne Trace

Crestview over St. Johns (if someone is beating Crestview, DSJ is the only team that can)

Napoleon:
Toledo Christian over Pettisville (UPSET)
MVCD over Ottawa Hills

TC over MVCD (if MVCD had their big kid i would pick them but heard hes out with an ACL)

BG REGIONAL:
Pandora Gilboa vs Arlington (weakest district i have ever seen)
Crestview vs Toledo Christian (wildcard pick)

Crestview beats Pandora in the regional final

I just don't see how anyone in this regional can have the fire power that Crestview has. They have size, strength and solid enough guard play. Outside of the knights i think it is a very weak year in NW Ohio.
Old 02-21-18, 06:12 PM
Junior Varsity

Fayette 79 is on a distinguished road
Obviously with my name I am from Fayette...I will admit the BBC is a very weak conference but even with that...Pettisville is a very good team. Their losses are to Wauseon and Archbold...not exactly 2 slouches...lol

The key for Pettisville is their guard play, they are very quick and very good defensively. They have 3-4 guards who can handle the ball and really pressure you on defense. They have a couple of big kids inside, I believe both of them are 6'5 and they can go deep on the bench as well so foul trouble is not an issue. I honestly think it would be an upset if Pettisville didn't make the Regional but that is just my opinion.

Pettisville and Crestview could be a very good Regional Semi-Final.
Old 02-21-18, 10:41 PM
All Region

Smalls is on a distinguished road
Pettisville will earn it if they make it to the regional. They will need to get by Toledo Christian who is a very gritty well coached team, who just beat Anthony Wayne who has a 5 point loss to Wauseon. Would then more than likely see Ottawa Hills who is playing way better late in the year than at the beginning or Maumee Valley who even without Woodley is scary with their athletes. Key for Maumee Valley is shot selection and defending without fouling. They have to lead the state in fouls. They don't seem to back off even when in foul trouble early. Just not in their DNA to play passive.

I know Stryker is in the mix, but I don't see them beating both OH and MV.

Last edited by Smalls; 02-21-18 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-22-18, 12:39 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereckoning View Post
Not the best team in D IV history. The best team outside of that Lincolnview team in recent history. They were great. The 29-0 knights were great but there weren't many great teams that season. If we are going to look at best teams in D IV history, we can go back to the Wayne Trace teams with Welch or the old Crestview teams with Doug Etzler. Even the LCC teams with the Hutchins brothers. We are of course referring to this era and a Northwest Ohio area. We could go back to the Bobby Hoying teams of St. Henry or the Lawrence Funderburk teams of Columbus if we are crowning supremacy overall. A debate for another day. As for teams in Northwest Ohio, I haven't seen all the games, but from what I have seen, this Crestview team has a two year run to state on their hands.

However, I see you are a Crestview fan and can respect your opinion. You likely see many of the games
I think the debate can be made... but it won't be this year... I still think Fort Loramie will beat them come State Semis... BUT I think next year they are the perennial favorites and it won't be close... Both Etzlers, Sheets, Kline will be one scary lineup and it will be exciting... Jeremy Best is a great coach but sure has enjoyed a great crop of talent to come through Convoy!

And actually not a Crestview fan.... I hope my team gets to see the state this year though.. Best chance for a long time.
Old 02-22-18, 11:38 AM
All District

Quote:
I think the debate can be made... but it won't be this year... I still think Fort Loramie will beat them come State Semis... BUT I think next year they are the perennial favorites and it won't be close... Both Etzlers, Sheets, Kline will be one scary lineup and it will be exciting... Jeremy Best is a great coach but sure has enjoyed a great crop of talent to come through Convoy!

And actually not a Crestview fan.... I hope my team gets to see the state this year though.. Best chance for a long time.
Ahh. You got me. Your bio says Convoy Crestview. Yes. Loramie/Crestview should be a showdown. Crestview's length (6'7, 6'4, 6'3) in the starting lineup and 6'8 and multiples over 6'1 coming off the bench with their firepower should give Loramie all they can handle.

Of course, we are forgetting about some of the powerhouses in the state. Look out for a few of the Cleveland/Columbus area schools
Old 02-22-18, 11:47 AM
Junior Varsity

UKnowIt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ahh. You got me. Your bio says Convoy Crestview. Yes. Loramie/Crestview should be a showdown. Crestview's length (6'7, 6'4, 6'3) in the starting lineup and 6'8 and multiples over 6'1 coming off the bench with their firepower should give Loramie all they can handle.

Of course, we are forgetting about some of the powerhouses in the state. Look out for a few of the Cleveland/Columbus area schools

Cornerstone is coming out of cleveland and I don't think Loramie or Crestview will beat them...not sure if either of them will come within 15
Old 02-22-18, 02:43 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKnowIt View Post
Cornerstone is coming out of cleveland and I don't think Loramie or Crestview will beat them...not sure if either of them will come within 15
Yes. A team I was referring to. They have traveled and played some good teams. Did the same last year and got bounced by JFK, but should be an experienced team coming in.
Old 02-23-18, 08:50 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Yes. A team I was referring to. They have traveled and played some good teams. Did the same last year and got bounced by JFK, but should be an experienced team coming in.
I'd put my money on the Canton regional winner taking State. Cornerstone Christian seems to be the favorite, but their regional final matchup could be a great game. The regional semi opposite of them is almost certainly going to be a AP #1 vs. AP #2 matchup in Mansfield St. Peter's (1) v. McDonald (2). Either of these teams have a chance to take down Cornerstone. Other than that, I don't see anybody from the BG regional that could take down Cornerstone..Crestview has the best chance of all, and I wouldn't put it past them to pull of the upset. Depends on how well they'll be able to handle pressure and if they can shut down Bothwell, which seems borderline impossible.
Old 02-23-18, 09:29 AM
All Region

Cornerstone is a good team, but not unbeatable.

Stritch outscored them by 21 in the 2nd-4th quarters. Bothwell (17 points) sat for about 3 minutes that game when he rolled his ankle, but that was after Stritch already took the lead.

When I look at highlights on Cleveland.com I question if other teams even attempt to play defense against him beyond the 3 point line. It seems like shot after shot is taken with no one else in the picture. He is a talented player, how teams lose him on defense is beyond me. Need to have someone in his hip pocket at all times.
Old 02-23-18, 11:48 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Cornerstone is a good team, but not unbeatable.

Stritch outscored them by 21 in the 2nd-4th quarters. Bothwell (17 points) sat for about 3 minutes that game when he rolled his ankle, but that was after Stritch already took the lead.

When I look at highlights on Cleveland.com I question if other teams even attempt to play defense against him beyond the 3 point line. It seems like shot after shot is taken with no one else in the picture. He is a talented player, how teams lose him on defense is beyond me. Need to have someone in his hip pocket at all times.
Solid man to man defense is on its way to becoming a lost art. Through the years it has been taught less and less...and it shows...
Old 02-23-18, 01:05 PM
Junior Varsity

I didn't even know that my bio said that! I may have to change that.

In reference to the Canton region, CCA is a tough team, with Bothwell perhaps being the top player in Division 4. Mansfield St. Petes is definitely a tough team. Jakubick is quite tough and they are a team that gets it done. Anyway possible. However, McDonald is where I draw the line. This team is quite notorious for playing a weak district and schedule and then losing in the regional. Certainly not a state contender and definitely not the AP #2 team in the state....

I certainly think CCA is the favorite but if they don't make it, this title is wide open..

Hoping a public school finally gets back to winning.
Old 02-23-18, 09:53 PM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBack View Post
Solid man to man defense is on its way to becoming a lost art. Through the years it has been taught less and less...and it shows...
Come visit us at Delphos SJ and in the MAC. Lots of tough, tight man defense.
Old 02-24-18, 07:46 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay Fan View Post
Come visit us at Delphos SJ and in the MAC. Lots of tough, tight man defense.
I've been down there a couple of times and I agree.

I have to believe you guys are starting the kids off the right way at an early age. Most kids up here that show any ability end up running and breaking full court zone presses throughout elementary school.

Pretty sad actually. But I'm also getting old and nostalgic.
Old 02-26-18, 02:52 PM
All District

St. Pete and CCA will have to play eachother in Regional finals. That'll be a good one. Outside of Delphos SJ making it to state, I believe that the winner of Kettering/Bowling Green (regional winners) in semi-state will be a public school and the winner of the Canton/Athens (regional winners) side of semi-state will be a private school.

All in all, it makes for a good state finals matchup when those dis-interested in the teams get to see a public vs. private matchup.
Old 03-03-18, 05:53 AM
All Region

Three TAAC teams still alive in the Napoleon District.

Toledo Christian vs Edgerton

Maumee Valley vs Ottawa Hills

I like Toledo Christian over Edgerton. Might as well flip a coin between Maumee Valley and Ottawa Hills.