Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-07-17, 09:02 AM
All District

MooseJaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 red ls View Post
You do realize Wyoming's youth football is getting kicked out of their league this year for having players residing in other school districts that offer youth football correct? So it does happen in the CHL , even at the youth levels.
lol...seriously? You're comparing youth football to OHSAA sports, my God. First off, Wyoming youth football isn't in the CHL - there is no CHL below 7th grade. Secondly, there are no governing bodies in youth sports that set rules. This has absolutely no relevance to the current Deer Park situation.
Old 11-07-17, 10:55 AM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Can we move most of this junk to another thread about DP Issues or something???
Old 11-07-17, 11:26 PM
All District

MooseJaw is on a distinguished road
What is everyone's favorite, and least favorite CHL gyms to watch a game in? Not necessarily because of the opponent - just atmosphere, lighting, floor, seating, view etc etc.
Old 11-11-17, 01:35 PM
All Region

Yeoman is on a distinguished road
I love the Madeira atmosphere--their crowd really gets into it. But the visitors' seating isn't ideal.

Indian Hill's just the reverse. I love it for the accessibility--my father can't do steps any more but at IH you come in at the top of the lower level so we aren't stuck sitting on the floor or looking through a rail. But the atmosphere there isn't much--it's the biggest school in the league and they've had good teams, but they seem to have the fewest students show up to their games.

Wyoming is intense, for sure. But I've never been able to get used to looking at that empty wall on the other side.
Old 11-11-17, 10:50 PM
All American

UnTouchableVoL33 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UnTouchableVoL33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJaw View Post
What is everyone's favorite, and least favorite CHL gyms to watch a game in? Not necessarily because of the opponent - just atmosphere, lighting, floor, seating, view etc etc.
least favorite CHL gyms to watch a game in: Wyoming & Deer Park
favorite: Indian Hill

when I played 99-01 for atmosphere: Reading, Madeira, and Finneytown

atmosphere now a days all pretty much even in my opinion
Old 11-12-17, 07:22 AM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
Here are my superlatives from all the CHL games I watched in the mid-2000s.

Nicest gym: Indian Hill

Best atmosphere (at its peak): Reading

Most underrated atmosphere: Taylor (had some bad teams but always brought out a loud crowd when I would visit)

Best gym/atmosphere combo: Finneytown (maybe a tad biased)
Old 11-13-17, 11:32 AM
All Region

Maybe I'm biased too. But back when the school was big enough and the community involved enough to pack the gym every night, Finneytown was a spectacular place to watch a game. I'd love to take some of you folks in a time machine back to see an Oak Hills game from our brief stint in the big-school division in the early 70s, or any Greenhills game ever.

I guess when the band is there and the students come out it's still good, but sometimes, especially this past year or two, I think back to what used to be and it feels like a cold and empty barn.
Old 11-13-17, 06:42 PM
All American

yappimember67 is on a distinguished road
Played in CHL in late 2000s.

As far as atmosphere, Indian Hill and Madeira were toughest to play. Both schools had a lot of students and were loud.

Although Wyoming was the best team, they never had a huge crowd when I played there.

Deer Park was tough too when they were good from 06-08.
Old 11-14-17, 10:55 AM
All American

BusinessEnd
From a sheer home court advantage I would give the nod to Madeira when they have a good team - visiting fans and team are literally cornered and drowned out by the home fans and student section.

Best gym is Indian Hill although Taylor's new gym is very nice.

Worst gym setup is Finneytown and Deer Park isn't far behind unless they changed some things with the renovation.
Old 11-17-17, 09:04 PM
All Ohio

elks78 is on a distinguished road
DP is the favorite as long as their transfers are eligible and they don’t get bumped by the competive balance issues. Madeira is #2. They return 4 staters and there Top 3 reserves from last year. They had to learn how to play without Cravick and still swept IH and DP. Kyle Johnson will open some eyes this year he is Young senior just 16. They have shooters the best big man and 2 proven pt guards. After Madeira it’s IH followed by Wyoming. Wyoming played 6 last year with possibly 2 more that may help this year. So unless they have transfers or super freshman they will be well down
Old 11-18-17, 07:20 PM
Freshman

Red1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by elks78 View Post
DP is the favorite as long as their transfers are eligible and they donít get bumped by the competive balance issues. Madeira is #2. They return 4 staters and there Top 3 reserves from last year. They had to learn how to play without Cravick and still swept IH and DP. Kyle Johnson will open some eyes this year he is Young senior just 16. They have shooters the best big man and 2 proven pt guards. After Madeira itís IH followed by Wyoming. Wyoming played 6 last year with possibly 2 more that may help this year. So unless they have transfers or super freshman they will be well down
Reading is a really good team as well and Wyoming should still be favorite but overall solid list.
Old 11-18-17, 08:05 PM
All Ohio

I watched Reading today at sportsplus playing against williamsburg. The big transfer Bryce will help and the second big kid looked like he willl help. Itís early but they look better than last year. Madeira played Woodward, Afro-centric from Columbus, Dayton Meadowdale and West Branch a team out Cleveland land. They looked very good except the last 4 min against West Branch. They were missing One starter Mark Manfredi who is still hurt from football.
Old 11-18-17, 08:17 PM
All American

bigv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice Man View Post
I am a hs ref and have coached AAU for
10 years...I see almost every kid in the coty
At some point...like I said I could care less how good
DP is or isn't...but as an OHSAA official
I think it smells fishy...have Gentry fired or
Quit and see how many stay for the education lol.
Go choke on your whistle
Old 11-18-17, 09:15 PM
All Ohio

1 last comment A coach I won’t name (not a Madeira coach). Commented that 4 of DP transfers have to sit out 11 games. They play Wyoming, IH, Reading and Madeira in the 1st 11. I think they lose to IH and Madeira. Sorry Reading was better than I thought but I still think DP is better. Just my opinion. I will out myself as it should be apparent by now that I am a Madeira resident and my son plays for Madeira. hE has both played against and with Shaw and Fiore from IH, Miller and Bryce from Reading so While I would like to see Madeira win the league as long as DP doesn’t I am okay. The whole recruit and transfer thing annoys the crap out of me.
Old 11-18-17, 09:19 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessEnd View Post
From a sheer home court advantage I would give the nod to Madeira when they have a good team - visiting fans and team are literally cornered and drowned out by the home fans and student section.

Best gym is Indian Hill although Taylor's new gym is very nice.

Worst gym setup is Finneytown and Deer Park isn't far behind unless they changed some things with the renovation.
Agree except the drive to Taylor sucks.
Old 11-20-17, 09:20 AM
All Ohio

chlnewbie is on a distinguished road
Its should be a very interesting year! CHL finally is going to be more than a two team race!
Old 11-20-17, 09:52 AM
All District

Eagles123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
1 last comment A coach I wonít name (not a Madeira coach). Commented that 4 of DP transfers have to sit out 11 games. They play Wyoming, IH, Reading and Madeira in the 1st 11. I think they lose to IH and Madeira. Sorry Reading was better than I thought but I still think DP is better. Just my opinion. I will out myself as it should be apparent by now that I am a Madeira resident and my son plays for Madeira. hE has both played against and with Shaw and Fiore from IH, Miller and Bryce from Reading so While I would like to see Madeira win the league as long as DP doesnít I am okay. The whole recruit and transfer thing annoys the crap out of me.
I thought kids that had to sit out 11 games applied to those who transferred into an open enrollment district? If they moved in then they should not have to sit. Doesnt seem to make sense since Deer Park is not open enrollment. I could be wrong about the rule. Can anyone help clarify?
Old 11-20-17, 11:29 AM
All American

BusinessEnd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles123 View Post
I thought kids that had to sit out 11 games applied to those who transferred into an open enrollment district? If they moved in then they should not have to sit. Doesnt seem to make sense since Deer Park is not open enrollment. I could be wrong about the rule. Can anyone help clarify?
Agree - none of the DP players should have to sit because they are REQUIRED to live in Deer Park to go to school there. The only player who may have to sit is Gentry's son because he can go to DP due to his dad's employment and not be required to live in the district.

Now I could call in to question residency, but I think that's already been done in this forum.
Old 11-21-17, 05:54 PM
All Ohio

That was my understanding also but it was a CHL coach making the comment.
Old 11-23-17, 10:49 AM
Freshman

Sports Jock and Chad is on a distinguished road
It is simply OHSAA transfer rules...you are not eligible during your first semester...Bazely sat out at Princeton last year till January...If you transfer in the Spring you are eligible in the Fall....and vice versa...we have a jv player who transfered in the summer and has to sit until January...part of it also has to do with playing for another OHSAA school...If you were not on a roster the previous year you are immediately eligible
Old 11-23-17, 12:54 PM
Freshman

Sports Jock and Chad is on a distinguished road
Taylor has the nicest gym in the CHL...Madiera is a shoebox and the loudest...IH would be better if it was smaller...nice gym but always seems half full even for big games...don't care for Wyoming or Mariemont with stands on one side...Finney is old and beat...prolly was good 40 years ago...DP is okay...Reading was same..ok but now they are playing at Sports Plus during construction...SP is a dump!
Old 11-26-17, 08:46 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Jock and Chad View Post
IH would be better if it was smaller...Finney is old and beat...prolly was good 40 years ago
It's worth remembering that 45 years ago Finneytown and Indian Hill were playing in the Oxford AAA district (anyone here remember their game in '74?). I'm pretty sure they're the only CHL schools that have ever been in the big-school classification, at least since we've had 3+ divisions. There's a reason their gyms are big.
Old 11-27-17, 08:18 AM
All American

BusinessEnd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Jock and Chad View Post
It is simply OHSAA transfer rules...you are not eligible during your first semester...Bazely sat out at Princeton last year till January...If you transfer in the Spring you are eligible in the Fall....and vice versa...we have a jv player who transfered in the summer and has to sit until January...part of it also has to do with playing for another OHSAA school...If you were not on a roster the previous year you are immediately eligible
Your understanding of the transfer rule is incorrect. In basketball you must sit for 11 games if you transfer after 9th grade unless you meet one of several exceptions.
Old 11-28-17, 01:50 PM
Freshman

https://preps.cincinnati.com/polls/B...oys/?year=2017

Any comments on that?
Old 11-28-17, 05:20 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1234 View Post
Who's voting for Finneytown?

Or Taylor, for that matter?
Old 11-28-17, 07:38 PM
All Ohio

chlnewbie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
Who's voting for Finneytown?

Or Taylor, for that matter?

Their Dumb Coaches
Old 11-28-17, 09:17 PM
All Ohio

Iím not sure what the pts signfy for Taylor or Fineytown. Based on what is coming back I would put NCH 1st then Purcel. Until Deer Park proves they can beat a zone and we see what they actually have I will reserve my opinion. Reading handled Williamsburg at sports-plus so I think Willlamsburg is to high In this poll. Madeira beat Mcnick at their gym in a game condition scrimmage. So 3rd sounds right. I think Wyoming takes a big step back and would put them behind the 3 Cmac schools plus IH.

Madeira plays Roger Bacon, Purcell, IH and Reading in their 1st 5 games so we will know a lot preatty quickly.
Old 11-29-17, 09:54 AM
All Region

Youknow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I’m not sure what the pts signfy for Taylor or Fineytown. Based on what is coming back I would put NCH 1st then Purcel. Until Deer Park proves they can beat a zone and we see what they actually have I will reserve my opinion. Reading handled Williamsburg at sports-plus so I think Willlamsburg is to high In this poll. Madeira beat Mcnick at their gym in a game condition scrimmage. So 3rd sounds right. I think Wyoming takes a big step back and would put them behind the 3 Cmac schools plus IH.

Madeira plays Roger Bacon, Purcell, IH and Reading in their 1st 5 games so we will know a lot preatty quickly.
Based on what each team has coming back, no way you can put NCH above Purcell, Purcell returns everyone and i dont see how NCH can compete with Purcells length size and athleticism. Time will tell, Purcell schedule is brutal, first 5 at CHCA, Madeira home, Chaminade Julienne home, Moeller Home, then at Elder.
I agree with Wyoming stepping back in the Chl, might not have enough. Williamsburg being that high is ridiculous. Madiera beating MCnick is interesting. Any idea on Score or if Reedy or Burdick from Mcnick were still injured? Mcnick should compete for GCL this year. Madiera should beat Bacon and reading for sure.
Old 11-29-17, 08:35 PM
All Ohio

Ready played not sure about the other. The game was close never more than 6pts but ‘Madeira led almost the whole game and it was at Mcnick for what that’s worth.. I have a lot of respect for your knowledge. That said NCH brings everybody important back. There 2 gaurds are outstanding and their bigs were very young last year. In my opinion they were the 3rd best d3 team at the end last year evidenced by their close games against Summit.
Purcell vs Madeira should be very interesting. Madeira never played healthy last year with Cravack’s mono and bad ankle sprain early and Wiesoricks football injuries. It’s early but they scrimmaged Woodward a 1pt game, Meadowdale a 1pt game, Afrocentric a win. They most likely play a 2-3 zone against Purcell something Purcell has struggled against.
Old 12-01-17, 10:32 PM
Freshman

Deer park beats St. Bernard 111-47