Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-04-17, 05:07 PM
Lep2002 Lep2002 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-12-01
Location: Liberty Ohio
Posts: 1,133
Lep2002 is on a distinguished road
Let us discuss Jeff Rotsky...

How good of a coach does everyone think he is? Wherever he goes the teams seem to become really good. He won a state title at Chanel (RIP) and built the program at Maple Heights that won a state title a year or two after he left. He did good work at Cleveland Heights before leaving for Euclid and turning them into a darn good team.

Is he a controversial figure in Cleveland? He certainly doesn't come from your typical coaching background...being a successful financial advisor for Morgan Stanley. Will he ever stay at a school long enough to build a legacy there or will he just continue to go from one East side of Cleveland program to another?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 11-04-17, 05:09 PM
cjb56 cjb56 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-15-04
Location: Avon, OH
Posts: 13,401
cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Did Chanel win a title with him as head coach? I don’t remember now. Thought it was Powers?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-04-17, 05:19 PM
Lep2002 Lep2002 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-12-01
Location: Liberty Ohio
Posts: 1,133
Lep2002 is on a distinguished road
I thought so. I know he had a ton of success there. Maybe it was just like Maple Heights where he builds a program up but for whatever reason leaves when the talent is at the highest. I know the Maple Heights team he left was loaded with talent and the Chanel team that dominated D5 may have been one of the best D5 teams in state history.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-04-17, 05:19 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 9,405
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
We should all scream like lunatics to keep this accurate. Never heard any coach in my life scream that much. Kind of disturbing.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-04-17, 05:25 PM
Friday night light Friday night light is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-18-16
Posts: 65
Friday night light is on a distinguished road
when you continue to get away with poaching players from other programs and live off of transfers under shady circumstances your coaching legacy will always be tainted. His running back was at Cleve Hts last year, best receiver was at Garfield as recently as this July and they are just two in a long list of players he pulled (recruited) out of other districts. With all due respect to Euclid it is not any more attractive community and school system than Cleve Hts or Shaker Hts. When I hear at a game that the largest apartment owner in Cleveland is a "proud sponser" of Euclid football it all starts to make sense. He is a crazy man who will win at any cost and that includes circumventing the OHSAA rules every chance he gets. If I was a Euclid born player sitting on the bench behind ringers stolen from other programs I wouldn't be as eager to heap praise on my coach. All he needs is an administration that looks the other way while his shady deals get made and he will win because he has a ton of talent much of which is imported year after year.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-04-17, 05:27 PM
cjb56 cjb56 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-15-04
Location: Avon, OH
Posts: 13,401
cjb56 is on a distinguished road
It was Bill Powers who was HC of the 2001 Chanel state championship team.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-04-17, 05:46 PM
Lep2002 Lep2002 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-12-01
Location: Liberty Ohio
Posts: 1,133
Lep2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday night light View Post
when you continue to get away with poaching players from other programs and live off of transfers under shady circumstances your coaching legacy will always be tainted. His running back was at Cleve Hts last year, best receiver was at Garfield as recently as this July and they are just two in a long list of players he pulled (recruited) out of other districts. With all due respect to Euclid it is not any more attractive community and school system than Cleve Hts or Shaker Hts. When I hear at a game that the largest apartment owner in Cleveland is a "proud sponser" of Euclid football it all starts to make sense. He is a crazy man who will win at any cost and that includes circumventing the OHSAA rules every chance he gets. If I was a Euclid born player sitting on the bench behind ringers stolen from other programs I wouldn't be as eager to heap praise on my coach. All he needs is an administration that looks the other way while his shady deals get made and he will win because he has a ton of talent much of which is imported year after year.
Well I read this and immediately think of coaches like Chuck Kyle and Tom Lombardo that have the luxury of poaching kids from multiple counties every year. This happens. Kids know Rotsky is a good coach and they are drawn to him.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-04-17, 05:51 PM
ClevelandLB ClevelandLB is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 10-09-17
Posts: 20
ClevelandLB is on a distinguished road
Rotsky doesn't belong in the same sentence as Kyle and Lombardo. They forgot more than what that dee bag rotsky knows. He's all bark and no bite.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-04-17, 05:51 PM
marathon345 marathon345 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-30-11
Posts: 160
marathon345 is on a distinguished road
Give Rotsky three more years at Euclid and he will be gone. His shelf life is five to six years.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-04-17, 05:56 PM
EagleFan's Avatar
EagleFan EagleFan is offline
Retired
 
Join Date: 03-04-02
Location: Avon
Posts: 20,099
EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
No titles for Rotsky.

Good motivator. Lack of depth will hurt
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-04-17, 05:57 PM
Wildcat97 Wildcat97 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-29-05
Location: Strongsville, Ohio
Posts: 8,050
Wildcat97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lep2002 View Post
Well I read this and immediately think of coaches like Chuck Kyle and Tom Lombardo that have the luxury of poaching kids from multiple counties every year. This happens. Kids know Rotsky is a good coach and they are drawn to him.
That's a statement that doesn't show an understanding of any of the cited situations......at all
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-04-17, 05:58 PM
Lep2002 Lep2002 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-12-01
Location: Liberty Ohio
Posts: 1,133
Lep2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by marathon345 View Post
Give Rotsky three more years at Euclid and he will be gone. His shelf life is five to six years.
Exactly. Any ideas on why he leaves so frequently?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-04-17, 06:00 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 9,330
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
He's quite controversial. He's a raging lunatic on the sidelines and a world class player poacher. On the other hand, he motivates lost borderline kids to move in a positive direction and has a foundation to help kids.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-04-17, 06:08 PM
Friday night light Friday night light is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-18-16
Posts: 65
Friday night light is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lep2002 View Post
Well I read this and immediately think of coaches like Chuck Kyle and Tom Lombardo that have the luxury of poaching kids from multiple counties every year. This happens. Kids know Rotsky is a good coach and they are drawn to him.
Public schools are supposed to bound by a district. Kyle and Lombardo are not. Furthermore the educational opportunities at Eds and Ignatius are far superior to anywhere Rotsky has landed in his career. Not even close to a comparison that is valid.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-04-17, 06:11 PM
arizonawildcat arizonawildcat is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-13-09
Posts: 6,688
arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Furthermore, Kyle and Lombardo generally do not accept tranfers. 95% of their players come from the 8th grade to Ignatius and Ed's directly.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-04-17, 06:14 PM
Friday night light Friday night light is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-18-16
Posts: 65
Friday night light is on a distinguished road
More likely that Kyle and Lombardo lose players back to publics due to playing time, academics or logistical reasons for parents.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-04-17, 06:16 PM
lc5397 lc5397 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-30-10
Posts: 2,504
lc5397 is on a distinguished road
Public schools don't have to be bound by a district. It's up to them whether they want to be closed or open enrollment. But that's never been the issue with Rotsky. The issue has been kids magically showing up in an apartment in his district just before practice starts in August.

As far as his shelf life at any one place, besides the questions surrounding where his players comes from (which has an ethical component and creates friction within the district if the kids following him start displacing kids who've been in the district for years), Rotsky is basically the Harbaugh of NEO high school football. His screaming, rah, rah act gets old after a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday night light View Post
Public schools are supposed to bound by a district. Kyle and Lombardo are not. Furthermore the educational opportunities at Eds and Ignatius are far superior to anywhere Rotsky has landed in his career. Not even close to a comparison that is valid.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-04-17, 06:16 PM
arizonawildcat arizonawildcat is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-13-09
Posts: 6,688
arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Not to mention the tuition.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-04-17, 06:29 PM
Lep2002 Lep2002 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-12-01
Location: Liberty Ohio
Posts: 1,133
Lep2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Furthermore, Kyle and Lombardo generally do not accept tranfers. 95% of their players come from the 8th grade to Ignatius and Ed's directly.
I have no way of knowing if this is true. Furthermore, I think that stance is very easy to take for a school that is able to go all the way down to Summit County and grab an all star while simultaneously being able to go out to Lorain County to grab an all star.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-04-17, 06:34 PM
arizonawildcat arizonawildcat is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-13-09
Posts: 6,688
arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
An all-star eighth-grader?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-04-17, 06:34 PM
lc5397 lc5397 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-30-10
Posts: 2,504
lc5397 is on a distinguished road
In terms of actual students, Rotsky is probably drawing from a larger pool.

There's a finite number of families interested in a Catholic education that comes with a significant price tag. Rotsky basically has been pulling from Cleveland and the entire eastside of Cuyahoga County for decades.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lep2002 View Post
I have no way of knowing if this is true. Furthermore, I think that stance is very easy to take for a school that is able to go all the way down to Summit County and grab an all star while simultaneously being able to go out to Lorain County to grab an all star.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-04-17, 06:39 PM
lc5397 lc5397 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-30-10
Posts: 2,504
lc5397 is on a distinguished road
Exactly. College football is a crap shoot in terms of projecting 17-18 year olds at the next level. Good luck with 13-14 year olds.

If you look back on the "Bag Man on Campus" series the PD did back in 2009 about 4 "studs" who all ended up going to Eds, three of the four ended up being nice players (including the QB) but none of them ended up being major recruits or anywhere near the hype they got coming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
An all-star eighth-grader?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-04-17, 06:54 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 9,330
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I think I see a little spittle-

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-04-17, 06:54 PM
hsfan60 hsfan60 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-10-06
Posts: 1,765
hsfan60 is on a distinguished road
Powers 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Did Chanel win a title with him as head coach? I donít remember now. Thought it was Powers?
Did what jr could do the previous 2 years! So did the guy that came in at Maple after he hopped to Hts
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-04-17, 06:59 PM
James x2 James x2 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-08-09
Location: Over there
Posts: 340
James x2 is on a distinguished road
The white Ted Ginn

Lee was at Euclid before transferring to Heights and back to Euclid.There are Cleveland kids who have relatives in Euclid .They use their address and get into Euclid so there should be plenty of talent without him doing much recruiting.Ed's and Iggy have gotten talent from this area.There is a lot of potential there.Euclid has always had athletes,just not the motivation and a coach who could produce.Seymore,Banc,andGibbons ring a bell? Sounds like the witchhunt has begun.If Euclid beats Iggy (which would be an eye opener) will Rotsky get the credit he deserves?He recruites the hallways,and works the youth football in Euclid I'm told.The guy helps kids get to college.Talked to his father- in- law at a game and love him or hate him the guy cares about the kids and that's the most important thing.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-04-17, 07:03 PM
Bennies'01 Bennies'01 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-28-04
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 19,110
Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday night light View Post
Public schools are supposed to bound by a district. Kyle and Lombardo are not. Furthermore the educational opportunities at Eds and Ignatius are far superior to anywhere Rotsky has landed in his career. Not even close to a comparison that is valid.
Hmmm...I'd say that the educational opportunities offered at Cleveland Heights are top notch and many students take advantage. I think when we have discussions like this, we look at inputs far too closely without regard to outputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc5397 View Post
As far as his shelf life at any one place, besides the questions surrounding where his players comes from (which has an ethical component and creates friction within the district if the kids following him start displacing kids who've been in the district for years), Rotsky is basically the Harbaugh of NEO high school football. His screaming, rah, rah act gets old after a while.
He was extremely popular amongst players and families in Cleveland Heights. He was act was "old" with a new principal and AD who simply had a different agenda and they conspired to let him go without taking into consideration what he had really done for the program and community.

And FYI, at many of the places where he's been employed (including Euclid currently), it's highly unlikely that the players he's brought in have displaced long-time resident players. The transience rates in inner-ring districts is significant, which is actually very detrimental to program-building the "old-fashioned way."
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-04-17, 07:06 PM
Bennies'01 Bennies'01 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-28-04
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 19,110
Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc5397 View Post
In terms of actual students, Rotsky is probably drawing from a larger pool.

There's a finite number of families interested in a Catholic education that comes with a significant price tag. Rotsky basically has been pulling from Cleveland and the entire eastside of Cuyahoga County for decades.
As a thought exercise, if you're a talented coach, where do you think you have a better chance of being successful: A large, stable all-boys high school, or an inner-ring suburban high school? I think Rotsky has a fantastic track record considering what he's had to work with. Even Chanel was a complete dumpster fire before he got there.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-04-17, 07:08 PM
Lep2002 Lep2002 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-12-01
Location: Liberty Ohio
Posts: 1,133
Lep2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
An all-star eighth-grader?

Of course. Allow me to grab the best 8th graders from multiple counties every year and watch how good my team turns out. When I go all the way down to Twinsburg and poach Shaun Crawford, I don't know how good he will be...but I know he has the potential to be great. The point is the opportunity. Maybe my next Twinsburg athlete isn't Crawford but he could be a solid starter.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-04-17, 07:13 PM
hsfan60 hsfan60 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-10-06
Posts: 1,765
hsfan60 is on a distinguished road
Well spoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandLB View Post
Rotsky doesn't belong in the same sentence as Kyle and Lombardo. They forgot more than what that dee bag rotsky knows. He's all bark and no bite.
Great self promoter
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-04-17, 07:14 PM
Bennies'01 Bennies'01 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-28-04
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 19,110
Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lep2002 View Post
Of course. Allow me to grab the best 8th graders from multiple counties every year and watch how good my team turns out. When I go all the way down to Twinsburg and poach Shaun Crawford, I don't know how good he will be...but I know he has the potential to be great. The point is the opportunity. Maybe my next Twinsburg athlete isn't Crawford but he could be a solid starter.
This is only part of it, and actually only a small part of it. The other part is having access to a large student body of well-resourced, well-supported students who can be developed into football players. In fairness, Kyle single-handedly changed the football culture at Ignatius, so he gets all of the credit for that, but it's extremely unlikely that what he created would be possible at 95% of the other schools in Ohio.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Euclid Head Coach Jeff Rotsky Is A Maniac Bball216 Football 43 09-26-17 12:41 PM
Week 5. (2-2) Spr. Cath. Central @ (4-0) West Jeff roughriderpride Football 4 09-24-17 09:31 PM
Jeff Jaggers Clinic - OCT. 4th and 2018 Spring/Summer Camp Dates Alan Fried Wres. Ac. Wrestling 0 09-12-17 08:47 PM
The Billionaire List: Jeff Bezos Was (Briefly) World's Richest Man Yappi General Board 13 07-28-17 05:36 PM
Forum to Discuss the New "Yappi Sports Wiki" Yappi Yappi Sports Wiki 0 05-01-17 04:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz