Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-30-17, 04:07 PM
Spille Spille is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-06-03
Posts: 5,075
Spille is on a distinguished road
Game of Thrones

Well, after hearing so much of this show, I've decided to start watching over the weekend. I watched the 1st two episodes and must say, I very much look forward to watching more as soon as I can. The opening scene with the white walker really drew me in.

Plenty of characters to dislike already. Joffrey and Viserys lead my short list and I don't feel I'll like any of the Lannisters, except maybe Tyrian.

Anything I need to know about this show before I move forward? I probably won't see anymore until this weekend. I have to pick and choose when I watch with the kids around, so if I get maybe a couple in every weekend, that will be good progress for me.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 10-30-17, 04:11 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 9,401
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Start writing things down....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-30-17, 04:24 PM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 4,702
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
I know Iím in the minority but I didnít like the show. I gave it 1.5 seasons and gave up.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-30-17, 04:29 PM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 12,865
Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
I know Iím in the minority but I didnít like the show. I gave it 1.5 seasons and gave up.
He is like the gay version of Jodie Foster, everyone knows they are gay but they refuse to make a big public stink about it. Kind of ticks off the gay activists as they feel that everyone should be out and proud to show these big numbers.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-30-17, 06:46 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 9,324
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
In season 5, you learn it's all been a dream sequence.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-30-17, 07:25 PM
Yellow_Jacket06 Yellow_Jacket06 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Location: Sidney (Not Australia)
Posts: 30,517
Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
He is like the gay version of Jodie Foster, everyone knows they are gay but they refuse to make a big public stink about it. Kind of ticks off the gay activists as they feel that everyone should be out and proud to show these big numbers.
What the hell are you even talking about?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-30-17, 07:50 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: the Reds will be fine.
Posts: 16,867
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
I know Iím in the minority but I didnít like the show. I gave it 1.5 seasons and gave up.
Plus one. I've seen a couple episodes and it's just not my cup of tea. But I don't really watch any drama series besides Fargo.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-30-17, 07:51 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 16,724
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
In season 5, you learn it's all been a dream sequence.
I thought it was a snow globe? They kept talking about Winter is coming.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-30-17, 08:59 PM
Spille Spille is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-06-03
Posts: 5,075
Spille is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
Start writing things down....
Is it that hard to follow? I understand there are many characters.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-31-17, 11:17 AM
bulldogcountry bulldogcountry is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 12-07-09
Posts: 246
bulldogcountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spille View Post
Well, after hearing so much of this show, I've decided to start watching over the weekend. I watched the 1st two episodes and must say, I very much look forward to watching more as soon as I can. The opening scene with the white walker really drew me in.

Plenty of characters to dislike already. Joffrey and Viserys lead my short list and I don't feel I'll like any of the Lannisters, except maybe Tyrian.

Anything I need to know about this show before I move forward? I probably won't see anymore until this weekend. I have to pick and choose when I watch with the kids around, so if I get maybe a couple in every weekend, that will be good progress for me.
Do yourself a favor and watch The Wire instead.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-31-17, 12:34 PM
EHS 2001 EHS 2001 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-05-02
Location: The Pit Elder High School
Posts: 9,348
EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spille View Post
Is it that hard to follow? I understand there are many characters.
If you do miss something there are plenty of online resources with recaps/explanations of GOT/ASOIAF. The only downside is spoilers.

Here's a great website to keep track of where each main character is in Westeros/Essos throughout the series: https://quartermaester.info/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-31-17, 12:42 PM
TylerDurden TylerDurden is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-12-01
Posts: 14,538
TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Jacket06 View Post
What the hell are you even talking about?
Kevin Spacey
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-31-17, 01:13 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 7,657
winbypin is on a distinguished road
I have binge watching it over the past 3 weeks or so. If you're binge watching, I think it's not too hard to keep track of what is going on.

If you were watching it weekly as the episodes came out and then had to wait many months until the next season started it could be hard to follow maybe.

I think it's pretty good. Not the greatest thing ever but it is entertaining.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-31-17, 01:52 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 33,831
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Read the books
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-31-17, 02:30 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 16,724
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Skip the books if you're over 60. You'll not have enough time to finish and the shows have moved ahead.

I read the first book, about half way. With my eyes, reading can be a bit of a chore so I kind of lost interest but I did enjoy it, he paints a good picture and there are many more details particularly of the history of the families. I like the shows because they take me real places as well as imaginary.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-08-17, 02:30 PM
Spille Spille is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-06-03
Posts: 5,075
Spille is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
If you do miss something there are plenty of online resources with recaps/explanations of GOT/ASOIAF. The only downside is spoilers.

Here's a great website to keep track of where each main character is in Westeros/Essos throughout the series: https://quartermaester.info/
Thanks for the info. This does indeed help!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-08-17, 02:34 PM
Spille Spille is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-06-03
Posts: 5,075
Spille is on a distinguished road
Not quite half way through the 1st season. Last one I watched was episode 4. That was the episode where Danaerys fought back against Viserys for the first time, threatening to cut his hands off, and Tyrion was arrested by Catelyn at the end. Also, met the Clegane brothers for the 1st time. Not sure why, but I have this feeling I'm going to like Tyrion and also feel like "Littlefinger" is a backstabber and up to no good.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-09-17, 11:19 AM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Posts: 3,275
irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spille View Post
Not sure why, but I have this feeling I'm going to like Tyrion and also feel like "Littlefinger" is a backstabber and up to no good.
Hah, your feelings do not deceive you. I love Tyrion's character AND Littlefinger's just because the actor plays it so well. He just looks sneaky.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-09-17, 11:27 AM
OhioBobcatFan06 OhioBobcatFan06 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-06-05
Location: ohio bobcats hoops
Posts: 17,936
OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
I don't think it is hard to keep track of the show (especially if you aren't waiting a year between seasons) but a lot happens/changes. I enjoy reading what people just starting it say because it reminds me how I once viewed certain plot lines and characters.

More than any show, change is constant and I think that is one reason why it is so amazing.

If I had kids, I wouldn't watch it around them and I also wouldn't watch it around my parents or grandparents.

I don't want to spoil anything. All that I will say is Tyrion is my favorite character.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-09-17, 11:43 AM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 16,724
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
The nice think about a binge, it's made worth the effort as so many of those early season interactions become important and are reflected in the most recent season.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-09-17, 11:44 AM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 4,702
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
The Wire and Breaking Bad > GOT's
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-09-17, 12:36 PM
Spille Spille is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-06-03
Posts: 5,075
Spille is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Hah, your feelings do not deceive you. I love Tyrion's character AND Littlefinger's just because the actor plays it so well. He just looks sneaky.
Yes, sneaky is the perfect word to describe Littlefinger. Exactly what I was looking for.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-09-17, 12:40 PM
Spille Spille is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-06-03
Posts: 5,075
Spille is on a distinguished road
I have certainly found myself wanting to watch more, but best I can do is early Saturday and Sunday morning before my kids get up. I had been watching via Kodi but a co-worker gave me the 1st season on DVD, so I may be able to sneak 2 episodes each morning since I won't have to wait for the source to load and find a reliable and good source to watch, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-09-17, 12:42 PM
Spille Spille is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-06-03
Posts: 5,075
Spille is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
I don't think it is hard to keep track of the show (especially if you aren't waiting a year between seasons) but a lot happens/changes. I enjoy reading what people just starting it say because it reminds me how I once viewed certain plot lines and characters.

More than any show, change is constant and I think that is one reason why it is so amazing.

If I had kids, I wouldn't watch it around them and I also wouldn't watch it around my parents or grandparents.

I don't want to spoil anything. All that I will say is Tyrion is my favorite character.
So far, it's not bad. I understand there are many characters and most have not been introduced yet. I do find myself recognizing a character but I often can't remember their name.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-09-17, 05:29 PM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Posts: 3,275
irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spille View Post
So far, it's not bad. I understand there are many characters and most have not been introduced yet. I do find myself recognizing a character but I often can't remember their name.
I still do not know who everyone is, where they are from, etc...?

BB is my all time fav but once everyone started talking about this I figured I'd give it a whirl. Not really into fantasies like this but it has stuck. Binged the first two seasons.

I had to look up a map of Westeros as a point of reference. Then I said to myself am I really looking up a mythical map to better understand a show including sorcery and dragons? Yup.

Lot's of folks on here, who have read the books and have a far better understanding than me have helped greatly as well. Your head will spin trying to figure it all out on your own.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-20-17, 08:32 AM
bob22 bob22 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-18-05
Posts: 997
bob22 is on a distinguished road
A cinema in London is screening all 7 seasons back-to-back over 4 days.

http://watchersonthewall.com/cinema-...k/#more-156642
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-20-17, 09:30 AM
Spille Spille is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-06-03
Posts: 5,075
Spille is on a distinguished road
Finished up season 1 this weekend. With an extra day off this week, I hope to put a good dent in season 2 this week. Really looking forward to watching more.

Favorite character: Tyrion Lannister.
Least favorite character: Joffrey Baratheon. Hated Viserys, his death was pretty sweet.
Best line: Walder Frey to his son - "You're mom would still be a milkmaid if I hadn't shot you into her belly" Or something very close to that.

A breif recap of all the happenings since it's been 7 years since the season aired.

Ned is dead, Joffrey is an arse. Hope Sansa and Arya stick around to avenge their father's death. Feel like they are grooming Arya to be a bad. Sansa needs to toughen up.

Jon Snow, after being convinced to stay with the watch, is getting ready to head North of the wall to search for his uncle Benjen with Mormont.

Robb has captured Jamie Lannister and defeated some of the Lannister forces. Proclaimed king of the north.

Tywin (whom I also dislike) is sending Tyrion to take his place as hand of the king.

Denaerys has her dragons and Khal is dead. Kind of bummed about that, was hoping to see him kick some more .

Stannis and Renly have both stated their claim to the throne.

Looking forward to season 2.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-20-17, 10:16 AM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Trey=YRoevWadeisgood
Posts: 5,057
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
It's so funny reliving all of this through the eyes of a new viewer. He has no idea what he's about to encounter.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-20-17, 12:41 PM
Spille Spille is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-06-03
Posts: 5,075
Spille is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
It's so funny reliving all of this through the eyes of a new viewer. He has no idea what he's about to encounter.
I do wish I could watch more at a time. One per day that I don't have to work is about the best I can do. Excited to start season 2, likely Wednesday morning.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-20-17, 01:29 PM
Buck_98 Buck_98 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-09-16
Posts: 275
Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spille View Post
I do wish I could watch more at a time. One per day that I don't have to work is about the best I can do. Excited to start season 2, likely Wednesday morning.
It will get a little slow about the 3rd season. Stick with it because it gets really good seasons 5-7
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GAME REPORT? Columbus West 36 Columbus South 6 LICKING COUNTY FAN Football 1 10-06-17 11:25 PM
2017 Week 0 (Kentucky) Sykotyk National Football Board 0 09-05-17 10:19 PM
17 Sports Teams Losing Fans in the Last Decade Yappi General Board 37 07-30-17 11:34 PM
Ignatius to Host Varsity Game at Wasmer Field MitchVigil Football 5 07-26-17 06:45 AM
Under ASA Rules, When does a game begin? Yappi Softball 2 05-10-17 03:15 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz