Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-12-17, 09:12 AM
All World

BIG ED is on a distinguished road
Perry at Lake

Panthers lead the all time series 19-10
This is a dangerous game for Perry IMO. They better show up mentally ready to play. Lake would like nothing better than to get a win right now. If Perry shows up and plays like they are capable, they win, if they donít and let Lake get confidence and get into a dogfight, all bets are off.

1987 PERRY 12-7 - H
1990 PERRY 12-10 - A
1991 LAKE 27-7 - H
1992 PERRY 13-7 - A
1993 LAKE 14-6 - H
1994 PERRY 23-21 - A
1995 PERRY 40-19 - A
1996 PERRY 14-7 - H
1997 PERRY 28-8 - A
1998 LAKE 24-7 - H
1999 PERRY 9-7 - A
2000 PERRY 21-14 - H
2001 PERRY 21-0 - A
2002 PERRY 28-0 - H
2003 PERRY 26-7 - A
2004 LAKE 28-18 - H
2005 LAKE 20-0 - A
2006 PERRY 14-7 - H
2007 PERRY 35-28 - A
2008 PERRY 30-27 - H
2009 LAKE 35-7 - A
2010 PERRY 43-33 - H
2011 LAKE 31-14 - A
2012 PERRY 29-7 - H
2013 LAKE 33-21 - A
2014 LAKE 28-14 - H
2015 LAKE 14-10 - A
2016 PERRY 35-0 - H
2016 PERRY 21-7 - H OHSAA PLAYOFF
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-17, 08:23 AM
Varsity

RETREAD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post
Panthers lead the all time series 19-10
This is a dangerous game for Perry IMO. They better show up mentally ready to play. Lake would like nothing better than to get a win right now. If Perry shows up and plays like they are capable, they win, if they donít and let Lake get confidence and get into a dogfight, all bets are off.

1987 PERRY 12-7 - H
1990 PERRY 12-10 - A
1991 LAKE 27-7 - H
1992 PERRY 13-7 - A
1993 LAKE 14-6 - H
1994 PERRY 23-21 - A
1995 PERRY 40-19 - A
1996 PERRY 14-7 - H
1997 PERRY 28-8 - A
1998 LAKE 24-7 - H
1999 PERRY 9-7 - A
2000 PERRY 21-14 - H
2001 PERRY 21-0 - A
2002 PERRY 28-0 - H
2003 PERRY 26-7 - A
2004 LAKE 28-18 - H
2005 LAKE 20-0 - A
2006 PERRY 14-7 - H
2007 PERRY 35-28 - A
2008 PERRY 30-27 - H
2009 LAKE 35-7 - A
2010 PERRY 43-33 - H
2011 LAKE 31-14 - A
2012 PERRY 29-7 - H
2013 LAKE 33-21 - A
2014 LAKE 28-14 - H
2015 LAKE 14-10 - A
2016 PERRY 35-0 - H
2016 PERRY 21-7 - H OHSAA PLAYOFF

Big Ed.... Relax and just enjoy the evening. I wouldn't worry about this game.
Old 10-13-17, 12:39 PM
All District

reggiejackson is on a distinguished road
Perry big
Old 10-13-17, 09:20 PM
All Yappi

Perry 67 is on a distinguished road
Cool Ok!!

Reggie Reggie Reggie!!
Old 10-13-17, 09:58 PM
All Ohio

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Two teams trending in opposite directions. Sad to see Lake at such a impotent level. Lake needs a coaching change.
Old 10-13-17, 10:31 PM
All World

Being it was Friday the 13th and our mascot is a big black cat, I shouldn’t have worried.
Feel bad for the Lake team and their fans. We endured an 0-10 four years ago and it’s no fun.

Last edited by BIG ED; 10-14-17 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-14-17, 12:03 AM
All Ohio

powertrain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Two teams trending in opposite directions. Sad to see Lake at such a impotent level. Lake needs a coaching change.
Completely agree. This program is down and has not been the same since 2010. They have been very, very average at best. Lake just doesn't seem to be as big and strong as they used to be. That is the program as a whole and it starts at the top. Could not believe how empty Lake stands were. Very tough to watch this program deteriorate the way it has. Even in couple playoff appearances, nothing like in years past when you knew Lake was good enough to be a real threat to the state title. On the other hand, Perry is on a roll since Jackson game and next week will be a great one with McKinley.
Old 10-14-17, 12:32 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Good win for Perry. The postseason starts next Friday, unless Solon takes a dive in the last two weeks (not likely). Another return for the Panthers to the game of the week!

Lake will be back eventually. Probably a lot of frustrations boiling over (I don't know the interior mechanics of the situation) but they've got some talent.
Old 10-14-17, 02:00 AM
All Ohio

Wrestling245 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Completely agree. This program is down and has not been the same since 2010. They have been very, very average at best. Lake just doesn't seem to be as big and strong as they used to be. That is the program as a whole and it starts at the top. Could not believe how empty Lake stands were. Very tough to watch this program deteriorate the way it has. Even in couple playoff appearances, nothing like in years past when you knew Lake was good enough to be a real threat to the state title. On the other hand, Perry is on a roll since Jackson game and next week will be a great one with McKinley.
+1 basketball seems to be the move here these days.
Old 10-14-17, 06:36 AM
All Region

BuckeyeUrban is on a distinguished road
This season has been really tough for Blue Streak Nation. Please know from a long time fan, it's not for lack of coaching or lack of effort from the players. It's all about the lack of numbers on the team playing in a league full of teams who don't lack numbers. Lake's roster is as small as I've ever seen it. They've had to pull up a record number of freshmen to fill in at the JV and Varsity levels. The students section this year is as big as I've ever seen it. So many kids who played youth and middle school decided not to play football for different reasons. A school the size of Lake can't afford to lose participants in football and still compete with schools like McKinley, Jackson, Perry, GlenOak and even Hoover and Green. A lot of people are counting on a big, talented freshmen class to save the day in a year or two but most of the schools in the Fed also have good freshmen classes to go along with the talent they already have in the upper grades. Things look bleak for the Lake football program but I wish them the best and I know the coaches and players will work as hard as they can to right the ship.
Old 10-14-17, 08:07 AM
Freshman

Streak80 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Agree. Three games and three continuous clocks. I think the past couple of years the teams had talent but the play calling and offensive was just too predictable. There is no creativity with the team. You have to use ALL your skilled players and get them into the game. We are too easy to figure out. Perry's team did not seem to have more players then Lake. They take what they have and use them! I liked Perry's offense...use multiple running backs! Yes, you always have the one player you go to but not every play! I guess I question why the turnout is low...maybe coaching? I'm sure there are kids that focus on one sport but need to use the players we have. It looked like there were players hurt on the sidelines and I'm sure that had something to do with the loss but not three consecutive games.
Old 10-14-17, 12:30 PM
All World

Perry’s JV’s won this morning 16-14. On a side note, No. 47 for Lake this morning was down on the field for an extended period of time. It looked, through my binoculars, that he may have suffered a concussion or a neck injury. My best to him and hope he recovers soon. Hate to see any player from any team get hurt. I saw a player last night (not at the Perry -Lake game) go down hard and at a bad angle on his leg and it broke, not a pretty site.
Old 10-14-17, 12:36 PM
All Ohio

powertrain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streak80 View Post
Agree. Three games and three continuous clocks. I think the past couple of years the teams had talent but the play calling and offensive was just too predictable. There is no creativity with the team. You have to use ALL your skilled players and get them into the game. We are too easy to figure out. Perry's team did not seem to have more players then Lake. They take what they have and use them! I liked Perry's offense...use multiple running backs! Yes, you always have the one player you go to but not every play! I guess I question why the turnout is low...maybe coaching? I'm sure there are kids that focus on one sport but need to use the players we have. It looked like there were players hurt on the sidelines and I'm sure that had something to do with the loss but not three consecutive games.
Yes Lake is banged up to be sure, but some of the posters keep bringing up numbers. Lake has never had huge numbers and depth has always been a concern for Lake, but it had never stopped them in the past. Why are the numbers the crutch of the issues now? I don't buy it. Take the eye test. Lake kids are not as big and strong as they once were. Perry has 57 kids on their roster, which is about the same as Lake.. Think about it, what has changed at Perry? CULTURE. Before Wakefield took back over the harness, they were a program in disarray themselves, and he quickly turned it around. I watch alot of high school football and Lake is very boring and very basic and yes, as you stated, very predictable. You know exactly what they are going to do 90% of the time. It is about the program. Lake basketball is on the map because McBride is a great coach and he gets the most from his kids. Someone please find Ron Wright and ask him to take over this program. A great high school coach could get this turned around.
Old 10-14-17, 01:06 PM
All Ohio

Wrestling245 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes Lake is banged up to be sure, but some of the posters keep bringing up numbers. Lake has never had huge numbers and depth has always been a concern for Lake, but it had never stopped them in the past. Why are the numbers the crutch of the issues now? I don't buy it. Take the eye test. Lake kids are not as big and strong as they once were. Perry has 57 kids on their roster, which is about the same as Lake.. Think about it, what has changed at Perry? CULTURE. Before Wakefield took back over the harness, they were a program in disarray themselves, and he quickly turned it around. I watch alot of high school football and Lake is very boring and very basic and yes, as you stated, very predictable. You know exactly what they are going to do 90% of the time. It is about the program. Lake basketball is on the map because McBride is a great coach and he gets the most from his kids. Someone please find Ron Wright and ask him to take over this program. A great high school coach could get this turned around.
I made a very similar statement a few weeks ago. I wholeheartedly agree with the culture statement. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 10-14-17, 01:59 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streak80 View Post
I liked Perry's offense...use multiple running backs! Yes, you always have the one player you go to but not every play!
This is what I noticed Lake did last year and it kept them from being more competitive in a couple games. They start putting together nice drives when they mix it up but immediately regress back into using the same kid over and over again. Makes no sense.
Old 10-14-17, 02:57 PM
All Ohio

I said the coach was a problem over a year ago. Off field issues, poor in game decisions, kids not interested in playing for him, etc. Blue Streak Office and others disagreed and said he was great. A change is in order, get someone the parents and players can respect. Maybe Durbin Jr ?
Old 10-14-17, 04:54 PM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Once again I say you play with the kids you have. You say CULTURE needs changed. I will use last nights game as an example....Last year we played Perry twice..first time we played totally flat, the second time we played tougher. Now do you say this years Perry team is that much better then last years? I think their team last year is better then this year. What is different is that Lake has different kids...not as big and definitely not as strong....so you say culture ( Perry has a school enrollment that is almost 200 more boys then Lake and yet they have the same amount as Lake on their roster)...tell me what is the best way to get kids to want to go to the weight room and then show effort? Do you require attendance and if they don't show they don't play?

There are times when you do not have athletes in a class like you have had before. You say culture but you do not take into consideration the schedule. When did Lake football change? When Lake had to play a tough game every week and no breather game...do the people at Green think they would go 3 years and only win 2 Fed games at this point in time? Do you blame the coaches for not beating Dover and Copley? You are going to say look at Ashland no adjustments...well what do you pick....do you say our front can stop their QB from running so they don't throw the ball all over the place? One blitz called and their QB sees it and makes the throw for a TD. Their kid makes a play where the Lake kids don't....sometimes they do have better athletes at positions Lake doesn't.

If you say Ron Wright...look at enrollment numbers for both schools. Look at Louisville...do you see them wanting to get in the Fed? Since the year 2000 Lake is .500...that is approx 180 football games.

Last edited by Bluestreakoffice; 10-15-17 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-14-17, 05:05 PM
All American

Quote:
I said the coach was a problem over a year ago. Off field issues, poor in game decisions, kids not interested in playing for him, etc. Blue Streak Office and others disagreed and said he was great. A change is in order, get someone the parents and players can respect. Maybe Durbin Jr ?
I still disagree...you always make statements with out any facts or numbers...easy for you to do. "Respect" is such a nebulous term for you to use when you don't have to verify. Why don't you make statements you can back up? Your answer is to replace a 1 and 7 coach with a 1 and 7 coach.....that is a bold move.
Old 10-14-17, 06:08 PM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Was Perry the better team than Lake? Yes

Did Perry play harder and with more passion than Lake? Yes

Lake might not be that good, but it seems like things are really spiraling out of control at this point. I know that times have changed, but this is simply disappointing to long time Lake fans. They have a right to complain or ask for a change.
Is it right? I don’t know, but with all the talk of this Freshman class this team better show continued improvement over these next few years. Or something has to change. Coach? League? The youth program? The weight training program? Something has to change. The team I watched last night was soft and weak, can’t remember the last time I have thought that about a Lake team.
Old 10-14-17, 06:40 PM
All American

I would not change leagues. Lake has a really good thing going in basketball and they'd torpedo it by moving to lesser competition.

The 2017 edition of the Blue Streaks would not be any more successful in a different league for football, either. It is what it is this year. What would their options be? The NBC or the Suburban? The NBC would never have them. The Suburban is as tough as the Fed. Lake's only other option would be to try to form something new with Louisville. Lake played everyone in the Fed tough between 2013-2016. I don't know a lot about the coach or the internals of the program but I think staying within the Fed is absolutely the best bet. Next year will be wide open, all new faces on all the teams. Lake can compete.
Old 10-14-17, 06:58 PM
All World

I agree, no other place for Lake and they compete well in most sports.
Old 10-14-17, 07:04 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwpatfire View Post
Was Perry the better team than Lake? Yes

Did Perry play harder and with more passion than Lake? Yes

Lake might not be that good, but it seems like things are really spiraling out of control at this point. I know that times have changed, but this is simply disappointing to long time Lake fans. They have a right to complain or ask for a change.
Is it right? I donít know, but with all the talk of this Freshman class this team better show continued improvement over these next few years. Or something has to change. Coach? League? The youth program? The weight training program? Something has to change. The team I watched last night was soft and weak, canít remember the last time I have thought that about a Lake team.
Yes you are correct that Lake was soft and weak last night. Yet you have to move a starting linebacker from last years team to a defensive tackle because you have nobody that can play the position. When you have to play 200 lb tackles you are going to find a way. The weight room has to become important to the team....Ron Viscounte runs the weight room and you know what he expects. The kids who play other sports and have other activities have to find a time to work out...this right here is the enrollment numbers..so many sports so many kids.

Complain and or ask for a change....I know that I have had this conversation with people on here when Coach Durbin's offense and style of football was completely predictable. I wonder if they remember that.
Old 10-14-17, 07:13 PM
All World

Well Viscounte better step it up! If you play other sports that is acceptable, but if football is your only sport and you don’t show up to the weight room. Sayonara!

I had some of my best high school memories working out in that weight room with my teammates and friends! I would hope these kids would do the same. It’s not work when your having fun!

And BSO, I get it. The horses just aren’t in the stable. The school has some horses the coaching staff needs to find a way to get them in the stable. Other than that it’s just excuses and excuses get old and good teams and programs don’t make excuses.
Old 10-14-17, 07:34 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwpatfire View Post
Well Viscounte better step it up! If you play other sports that is acceptable, but if football is your only sport and you donít show up to the weight room. Sayonara!

I had some of my best high school memories working out in that weight room with my teammates and friends! I would hope these kids would do the same. Itís not work when your having fun!

And BSO, I get it. The horses just arenít in the stable. The school has some horses the coaching staff needs to find a way to get them in the stable. Other than that itís just excuses and excuses get old and good teams and programs donít make excuses.

I know football, you know football, coaching football is a whole different concept. The coaching staff is very aware of what you say. They want Blue Streak Football more then you or I.
Old 10-14-17, 07:43 PM
All World

Agreed
Old 10-14-17, 07:49 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
I still disagree... "Respect" is such a nebulous term for you to use when you don't have to verify. Why don't you make statements you can back up? Your answer is to replace a 1 and 7 coach with a 1 and 7 coach.....that is a bold move.
1. So you believe the issue is lack of talent and not a lack of the current coach's ability to build a healthy program and feeder system?
2. My answer is to replace your current HC who 1-7 with 3 straight running clocks with a young man that will restore the confidence and values of the community the team represents.
Old 10-14-17, 08:02 PM
All American

Quote:
1. So you believe the issue is lack of talent and not a lack of the current coach's ability to build a healthy program and feeder system?
2. My answer is to replace your current HC who 1-7 with 3 straight running clocks with a young man that will restore the confidence and values of the community the team represents.

To your first question yes this year is short on athletes and the feeder system is in place.

To your second question....you want to replace a coach who is having his first losing season? Interesting.
Old 10-15-17, 01:56 PM
All Ohio

As has been clearly pointed out by your more objective Lake fans - other sports are getting the athletes and coaching they need to succeed (see McBride). But football going the opposite direction. Your unwavering support of this coach is interesting. Your own Lake brethren don't understand it.
Old 10-15-17, 02:16 PM
All American

Quote:
As has been clearly pointed out by your more objective Lake fans - other sports are getting the athletes and coaching they need to succeed (see McBride). But football going the opposite direction. Your unwavering support of this coach is interesting. Your own Lake brethren don't understand it.
I am more objective then you realize. I am all in for Lake High Sports and am actively involved where you just make comments that are negative and based on what you think is happening. I also supported Jeff Durbin just as I am doing now....I don't remember how many times that conversations took place do to predictable play calling and issues on athleticism.....

It has been 18 seasons since the 1999 team which was one of Lake's best had a great run for 2 good years....so 2000 starts and now Lake is playing .500 in won and loss... 192 games....142 for Jeff Durbin (Jeff Durbin was 91 and 29 in the 90's a total of 120 games at 75% win average then was 50%, 72-70 with the next 142 games) and 50 for Dan DeGeorge....what has changed since 1999? You seem to want to blast one coach but not the other, what changed from 1999? People look at Lake and remember...well remembering the glory years is the 90's...the 1991 team members are now 44 years old...what changed?

McBride has had a great run and has become successful...name me another sport that has been successful that you are being vague with?

Last edited by Bluestreakoffice; 10-15-17 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-15-17, 02:20 PM
All American

hoodrat is on a distinguished road
Don't worry Blue Streaks, you've always got Green to whup on