Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-04-17, 11:59 AM
All District

Paydirt is on a distinguished road
https://buckeyeprep.blogspot.com/201...comes.html?m=1

The Irish should be fun to watch in the coming years regardless of what division they play in.
Old 08-04-17, 01:21 PM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paydirt View Post

The Irish should be fun to watch in the coming years regardless of what division they play in.

Always good to know where I can go to find out who the elite 5th grade basketball players are in Ohio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-17, 07:21 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoban2020 View Post
Always good to know where I can go to find out who the elite 5th grade basketball players are in Ohio.

Just stop by the STVM summer basketball camp. You can see them in person.
Old 08-04-17, 07:43 PM
All Region

Quote:
Just stop by the STVM summer basketball camp. You can see them in person.

Or that. Do the elite 5th graders have their camp the week before or after the elite kindergarteners?

Old 08-04-17, 08:30 PM
All District

Quote:
Or that. Do the elite 5th graders have their camp the week before or after the elite kindergarteners?

Youth summer camp is grades 2-8. Things don't generally start picking up til around 6th or 7th grade.
Old 08-08-17, 08:02 AM
All Region

Hoban2019 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

St. V must have gotten some additional members of the Joyce family as coaches. The article mentions "Drew" Joyce as well as "Dre".
Old 08-08-17, 08:16 AM
All Region

Quote:
From the article:
Quote:
The old adage, “the rich get richer and the poor get poorer” is certainly relevant to what’s about to go down at the storied program in Akron.
Quote:
Although Wilson, Peeples and Perie all reside in northeast Ohio, Branham is a Columbus kid, whom many local high school programs have coveted for a couple of years.
Quote:
Coach Dre: “This is one of the most heralded classes in some time; we expect big things from them. "
Quote:
Moreover, players come and go from programs these days, so who’s to say if all 4 players will remain in the program for their entire careers.
The above is a concise summary of what I do not like in high school athletics. Is it legal? Yes. Is everyone involved "good kids/people"? Yes. Does everyone in the program work hard? Yes. I'm not disparaging individual people or their talent or their willingness to work hard.

And, yes, I say the same thing about Walsh girls soccer or Hoban football. I may be in the minority, but I do not like the formation of all-star teams at the high school level.
Old 08-08-17, 04:00 PM
All American

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
STVM Class of 2021 Tae Pierre St Augustine Noah Peeples St Anthony many of the members of this class will be from Local schools. STVM Frosh Football will have 30-34 players on the roster.
Old 08-08-17, 08:01 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
STVM Class of 2021 Tae Pierre St Augustine Noah Peeples St Anthony many of the members of this class will be from Local schools. STVM Frosh Football will have 30-34 players on the roster.
It is still an all-star team, gathered from the Akron and surrounding areas. Last year's varsity had players from Akron, Mogadore, Twinsburg, Barberton, Copley, Malvern, and Groveport.

Yes, yes, I fully understand that all of this is within the rules, that it goes on everywhere, has always been this way, and will never change. All I'm saying is that I don't like it. It is not good for competition within the region.
Old 08-08-17, 09:18 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
It's only going to get worse. Parents are spending $1000s following their kids around starting at age 6 in travel sports. When they get to high school, they are looking for the best fit just like their travel teams. The OHSAA has a real issue and too many old disconnected people to figure out a solution.
Old 08-09-17, 06:56 AM
All Region

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
2022 is looking very good as is the 2023 group. Jury still out on 2024. "doing things the right way" or "You won't make the team" is not the first choice for some. All the Billboards in Ohio won't change 7 (and counting) vs 1!!!
No you're right they need StV's inside secret to recruiting. Most HS dream of having a great class here and there just sad that some schools can do things differently and have great talent every year by not being restricted totheir district. The one thing I'll never understand about Ohio HS sports.
Old 08-09-17, 07:13 PM
All American

"All I'm saying is that I don't like it. It is not good for competition within the region." You must be talking about TT and Hoban Football!!! Show me the difference?
Old 08-10-17, 07:16 AM
All Region

Quote:
"All I'm saying is that I don't like it. It is not good for competition within the region." You must be talking about TT and Hoban Football!!! Show me the difference?
Wow, you really have me tied up in knots on that one. Oh wait, I happen to have already said this, in post #38:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoban2019 View Post
And, yes, I say the same thing about Walsh girls soccer or Hoban football. I may be in the minority, but I do not like the formation of all-star teams at the high school level.
Old 08-17-17, 05:34 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Carl E would never allow a serious attempt at an all-star team to form at Walsh. He would be putting his foot down in seconds.
Huh? Have you noticed the girls soccer team at Walsh? They've won 5 state championships in a row and lost one game over the last 4 years. There is no bigger example of an all-star team than that.
Old 08-17-17, 08:45 PM
All Region

Class of 2021 Akron Area

In semi-related news ... a kid named Dominick Moegerle from the class of 2020 is reported to be transferring from SVSM to Hoban. I found a web site where he was the 9th highest ranked player in Ohio in the class of 2020.

StarstoShine chiming in about Hoban recruiting in 3, 2, 1 ...

Old 08-17-17, 09:05 PM
All District

He saw significant playing time on last years title team as a freshman. He became concerned with playing time with this years freshman class that is coming in. Obviously tk welcomed him with open arms. Who in their right mind wouldn't? I think this may become an issue at st v in the coming years. They are too loaded with talent. There's not enough balls to go around. So Dru is gonna loose some kids. I m guessing he's aware of this as it has happened on prior occasions. VJ King and Jakar Sampson both left for greener pastures and both went on to have good careers. I think Sampson might still be playing in the NBA. Every coach would like to have this problem but it's a problem nonetheless.
Old 08-17-17, 09:16 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
So the question becomes, how does a coach of a team near svsm geographically position themselves to pick up these talented kids that may leave SVSM, because as paydirt said. Theres only one ball. Mike diFalco ought to keep a close eye on this. diFalco, who has connections to college level b ball may be desireable for prospective talents..

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-17, 09:35 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
So the question becomes, how does a coach of a team near svsm geographically position themselves to pick up these talented kids that may leave SVSM, because as paydirt said. Theres only one ball. Mike diFalco ought to keep a close eye on this. diFalco, who has connections to college level b ball may be desireable for prospective talents..

You gotta be able to sell your respective program.
Old 08-17-17, 09:46 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You gotta be able to sell your respective program.
DiFalcos program at Coventry is sellable. Not SVSM, but sellable. Folks who may struggle to get the playing time they need to hone their skills with SVSM, will likely start for the comets. They will get to compete for league crowns, and perhaps then some. They will recieve all the varsity experience they need to hone their skills. They will be well coached by someone with college level connections. They will attend a good school with caring teachers and solid academics. The comets program should be up fo consideration at the very least.

Old 08-18-17, 01:37 AM
All American

Big fish little pond. It's all about being able to
Compete at the highest level.

Last edited by StarstoShine; 08-18-17 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-18-17, 08:10 AM
Freshman

BenSlick2001 is on a distinguished road
Hoban's freshman football team put on a show last night at Louisville RB Kobe Campbell had 100+ yds rushing with a TD RB Damon Ollison had a solid game rushing and Martavien Johnson led Hoban with 125 yds receiving 2 TDs there were 2 other TDs scored vs Louisville second team but the 2021 Knights look scary

Old 08-18-17, 08:34 AM
All Region

Quote:
Big fish little pond. It's all about being able to
Compete at the highest level.
It's not that little of a pond. Hoban won the NCL and made it to the District final last year in Div I. It's not like they are a bottom dweller.
Old 08-18-17, 08:49 AM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSlick2001 View Post
Hoban's freshman football team put on a show last night at Louisville RB Kobe Campbell had 100+ yds rushing with a TD RB Damon Ollison had a solid game rushing and Martavien Johnson led Hoban with 125 yds receiving 2 TDs there were 2 other TDs scored vs Louisville second team but the 2021 Knights look scary

Man, Ollison gets around...Ellet, Wadsworth, Copley, Hoban...

Last edited by Orangeman89; 08-18-17 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-18-17, 08:52 AM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
DiFalcos program at Coventry is sellable. Not SVSM, but sellable. Folks who may struggle to get the playing time they need to hone their skills with SVSM, will likely start for the comets. They will get to compete for league crowns, and perhaps then some. They will recieve all the varsity experience they need to hone their skills. They will be well coached by someone with college level connections. They will attend a good school with caring teachers and solid academics. The comets program should be up fo consideration at the very least.

DiFalco is that you? Lol
Old 08-18-17, 09:43 AM
All American

Henry37 is on a distinguished road
Any "class of 2021" thread and touting of individual performances in a freshman football scrimmage involves some parents who should check their priorities and perhaps explore a hobby.
Old 08-18-17, 06:52 PM
All District

Quote:

In the past students who have left STVM usually left for academies on the east coast who are nationally known and ranked for their basketball programs. For schools in the local area interested in player(s) leaving STVM because of playing time concerns should consider:

Academics
Basketball program (current and historically)
Facilities
Coaching staff
Coaching staff and their ability to get kids into college programs and not necessarily D1. Just because a kid isn't going to Kentucky or Duke doesn't mean he's or she can't play somewhere.

Obviously open enrollment public and privates have much more "wiggle room" when it comes to potentially enrolling a kid. Closed enrollment publics need someone leaving STVM to move or return to a given district which isn't outside the realm of possibility. It's no secret kids come from multiple districts and states (for the Steelers fans) to play at STVM.
Old 08-18-17, 10:21 PM
All Yappi

allworld is on a distinguished road
I like seeing my old friend Denefield reffing in that video. We had some good times balling at Crogan, Indian Mountain, Lions and Valley Vista!

Question is, will those kids be able to keep their eligibility when the get to Hoban or SVSM?
Old 08-19-17, 08:19 AM
Freshman

BenSlick2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry37 View Post
Any "class of 2021" thread and touting of individual performances in a freshman football scrimmage involves some parents who should check their priorities and perhaps explore a hobby.

The thread is about the class of 2021 in the area probably one of the best classes across the board the area has seen if you don't care to hear about freshman accolades don't click on the thread. There haven't been any games in high school football so every football post involves scrimmages sounds like your son must be a sorry bench warmer

Old 08-19-17, 11:33 AM
All Region

I saw some Hoban varsity film from the Louisville scrimmage (Louisville Boosters do that for all games). #25 on varsity had a few nice runs. Is that Campbell, the freshman kid? #20 also ran the ball - I believe that is Trayanum.

Old 08-19-17, 12:36 PM
All Region

Quote:
I saw some Hoban varsity film from the Louisville scrimmage (Louisville Boosters do that for all games). #25 on varsity had a few nice runs. Is that Campbell, the freshman kid? #20 also ran the ball - I believe that is Trayanum.
#25 is Tyris Dickerson
#20 is Deamonte Trayanum