Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-26-16, 03:25 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Bevo - I might be mistaken, but I think Seals & Crofts were part-time members of The Champs (Tequila).

2. Stay - Written and sung by Maurice Williams (and the Zodiacs). Williams also wrote "Little Darlin'" for The Diamonds.
6. Angel Baby - Rosie & the Originals (Rosie, who had a great voice, was a favorite of a few of The Beatles.
14. There's a Moon Out Tonight - The Capris, an Italian-American Doo-Wop group out of NYC.

Keep the Ball Rollin'
Old 08-26-16, 04:30 PM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
11. Hollywood Argyles ( Was Seals or Crofts in this?)

7. Dave Clark and his great band, The Dave Clark Five. (On of my all-time top five rave ups - "Anyway you Want It") If the Beatles produced the Mersey Sound the DC5 came in with the Tottenham Sound. (I think)

2. Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs. (Jackson Brown ends a lot of his shows with this. Google and you tube it.) Also, check out Tom Hanks' induction sppech for teh abnd into the Rock Hall. Tom talks a bout growing up in Cleveland and listening to and loving the band. Really , really good.

This is a great list! " Mr. Custer" - I use to listen to this at the Hill brothers' house. One of them use to act it out. Wild!! ("Forward - Ho!")
Bevo,

11 Correct, The Hollywood Argyles took Alley-Oop to #1 in 1960.Seals & Crofts were in The Champs ( Tequila) at one time as OWK states in his post. The Hollywood Argyles were essentially one guy, Gary Paxton who was "Skip" of "Skip and Flip" who had the hits "It Was I" and "Cherry Pie" both hits about the same time. Paxton made up the name Hollywood Argyles because the recording studio was located at corner Hollywood Blvd and Argyle Street.

7.Incorrect on a technicality. The song " I Like It Like That" in the mid 60's,1965 to be exact by the DC5 only reached # 7 on the charts. The tune I am looking for reached #2 in the early 60's , 1961 to be exact. I may have misled you. The version I am looking for was really released as " I like It Like That Part 1" My error I didn't add the "Part 1" in the title. Try again, I know you know this song.

2. Correct, Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs had the first hit of "Stay" They were originally called The Gladiolas. This song at one time was the shortest #1 song in duration in pop history,not sure if it still is or not. It was also a hit for The Hollies, The Four Seasons, Jackson Browne, and Rufus and Chaka Khan over the years. I love the Jackson Browne show closer version as well.

I'm glad you liked the song Mr. Custer, but do you or one of the Hill Brothers have a guess ? The song did reach #1 in 1960

JB
Old 08-26-16, 04:48 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
JB,
I've always been the 1st to say when I'm defeated. I had the Hollywood Argyles, but Bevo was too quick at the draw for me.

Great quiz, but despite my advanced age, I am humbled. I got nuthin'.

I do, however, look forward to learning from everyone else! Thanks for the quiz.
Old 08-26-16, 04:52 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
Bevo - I might be mistaken, but I think Seals & Crofts were part-time members of The Champs (Tequila).

2. Stay - Written and sung by Maurice Williams (and the Zodiacs). Williams also wrote "Little Darlin'" for The Diamonds.
6. Angel Baby - Rosie & the Originals (Rosie, who had a great voice, was a favorite of a few of The Beatles.
14. There's a Moon Out Tonight - The Capris, an Italian-American Doo-Wop group out of NYC.

Keep the Ball Rollin'
OWK,

Yes you correct about Seals& Crofts being pt members of The Champs

2 Correct, but Bevo beat you to the punch with Maurice Williams and The Zodiacs. I forgot about Williams penning "Little Darling" Very good.

6."Angel Baby" by Rosie and The Originals is correct. It reached #5 in 1961.
Didn't know she was a fave of The Beatles.

14. "There's A Moon Out Tonight by The Capris is also correct. It got as high as #3 in 1961. Definitely a NYC Doo-wop group as you describe. The voice overlay ending in tis song is one of the most famous endings of a song in rock history according to those who know these things.

Good start on the quiz. I'm off to the Lima Senior- Middletown game where
the 1996 State Championship D1 Lima Sr Spartans are being honored tonight on their 20th anniversary of their win over Cleveland Iggy. Also first game for our new football coach, Andre Griffin, Archie's son. Should be a fun night, but Spartans' cupboard is not as full this season and could be a challenging season. Maybe late tonite or tomorrow before I get back to the quiz.

JB
Old 08-26-16, 05:06 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Since I messed up "I Like It Like That", thus that question remains in play , I"ll take Mr. Custer for a guy whose last name was Verne and I believe his first name was Frank.

Final answer: Frank Verne

The Hill boys were a hoot; one was 2 years and the older was 1 year older than me. Plus, I had a late birthday (August). So, I was often with these two guys when they were 2 and 3 years older than me. Both served in Viet Nam, and I certainly salute that.

I don't want to derail the quiz because it's great but I do have a quick story.

In '65, the boys had a Halloween party and invited me. The party was held on a screened-in porch. Everyone there was older than I. I pleasantly took a seat next to the record player and started playing 45's. Actually, the brothers were my first involvement with guts who had lots of records. I even recall playing "Turn, Turn, Turn by the Byrds when this blondie decided to have some fun and came over and sat on my 14-year old lap and held me very closely.

She was cute but among the physical reactions taking place, the one she probably didn't anticipate was that I instantly had a major nose bleed. Don't want to go "blue" here so you can make up your own punch lines for my predictament. I simply recall being as flushed as I ever have been before or since and the faucet was on! Now, I had probably smooched a time or two or three before this but the suddeness of it all overwhelmed me. Actually, I recall the "sit down" part with great excitement and a bit of tenderness. (In other words, who was this Goddess?!) The fact that she was from a different town added to her allure. We saw each other out and about after that - usually at dances. But nothing more occurred. Sweet!!

Back to this excellent quiz. Sorry.
Old 08-26-16, 09:37 PM
All World

Quote:

In '65, the boys had a Halloween party and invited me. The party was held on a screened-in porch. Everyone there was older than I. I pleasantly took a seat next to the record player and started playing 45's. Actually, the brothers were my first involvement with guts who had lots of records. I even recall playing "Turn, Turn, Turn by the Byrds when this blondie decided to have some fun and came over and sat on my 14-year old lap and held me very closely.

She was cute but among the physical reactions taking place, the one she probably didn't anticipate was that I instantly had a major nose bleed. Don't want to go "blue" here so you can make up your own punch lines for my predictament. I simply recall being as flushed as I ever have been before or since and the faucet was on! Now, I had probably smooched a time or two or three before this but the suddeness of it all overwhelmed me. Actually, I recall the "sit down" part with great excitement and a bit of tenderness. (In other words, who was this Goddess?!) The fact that she was from a different town added to her allure. We saw each other out and about after that - usually at dances. But nothing more occurred. Sweet!!

Bevo - Thanks for the "bevo" (short story as only Bevo can tell them). Just like the old quote from Love Story, you never have to say you're sorry for broaching a subject of the AARP Thread.

How'd Upper do tonight?

ROCK ON!
Old 08-26-16, 10:16 PM
All American

Lost to River Valley 48-12. 42-6 at the half.
Old 08-26-16, 10:50 PM
All World

Quote:
Lost to River Valley 48-12. 42-6 at the half.
Thanks for the score, but that had to have been a tough one.
Old 08-27-16, 08:34 AM
All American

Quote:
Since I messed up "I Like It Like That", thus that question remains in play , I"ll take Mr. Custer for a guy whose last name was Verne and I believe his first name was Frank.

Final answer: Frank Verne

The Hill boys were a hoot; one was 2 years and the older was 1 year older than me. Plus, I had a late birthday (August). So, I was often with these two guys when they were 2 and 3 years older than me. Both served in Viet Nam, and I certainly salute that.

Bevo,

Another great Bevo story from yesteryear. I swear this could have been an episode on either "The Wonder Years" or "Leave It To Beaver".

Your answer to who sang Mr Custer is very very close. His last name was Verne, just not "Frank". If no one comes up with first name you will get credit, otherwise you can receive 1/2 credit if someone gets the first name. One final comment. . .before someone asks, his first name is not "Jules".

JB

Last edited by Johnstown Benny; 08-27-16 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-27-16, 09:57 AM
All American

1. Shep and the Limelighters . (I almost put Shemp - the other Stooge; sort of like Gummo the other Marx brother; so how is Gummo closely associated with the Great American Song Book?)

10. Apache - by The Shadows. (Was that Gene Vincent's band?)

These songs are all in my head. I had a paper route when I was between 9-13. I walked it a lot and sang the songs all the time

Last edited by Bevo; 08-27-16 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-27-16, 01:27 PM
All American

Quote:
1. Shep and the Limelighters . (I almost put Shemp - the other Stooge; sort of like Gummo the other Marx brother; so how is Gummo closely associated with the Great American Song Book?)

10. Apache - by The Shadows. (Was that Gene Vincent's band?)

These songs are all in my head. I had a paper route when I was between 9-13. I walked it a lot and sang the songs all the time
Bevo,

Shep and The Limeliters is correct for #1. The song "Daddy's Home" reached #2 in 1961.

10 The Shadows were the back-up band for English superstar, Cliff Richard and even though they took "Apache" to the top of the charts in 1960 in England it never made the top 40 on the American Bill Board and The Shadows never had a top 40 hit on the U.S. charts but Cliff Richard had 9 songs make the American Top 40. In a real bit of irony, the last song Cliff Richard had on the Bill Board Top 40 was back in 1982 with a cover version of "Daddy's Home" ! How strange is that ?

I need the artist who recorded a cover of The Shadows song " Apache " and had it reach #2 on the American Bill Board Top 40 in 1961. You actually correctly answered a more difficult question than the original question, close but no guitar lol.

Gene Vincent's band of "Be_Bop-A-Lula" fame were "The Blue Caps"

I have no idea of the Gummo Marx connection to the Great American Songbook

JB
Old 08-27-16, 01:40 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
JB,
I've always been the 1st to say when I'm defeated. I had the Hollywood Argyles, but Bevo was too quick at the draw for me.

Great quiz, but despite my advanced age, I am humbled. I got nuthin'.

I do, however, look forward to learning from everyone else! Thanks for the quiz.
Monclova Steve,

Hang in there buddy, I am sort of putting these questions in chronological order starting with 1960 working my toward the 70's and eventually ending in the late 80's. You will have plenty of opportunity to catch up once I get thru the geezer era. I also may consider alternating eras, first with a 60's quiz and then with an 80's quiz. It's a work in progress as I am doing the research myself and can't afford an intern or research assistant, lol.

Thanks for your comments.

JB
Old 08-27-16, 01:53 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
Monclova Steve,

Hang in there buddy, I am sort of putting these questions in chronological order starting with 1960 working my toward the 70's and eventually ending in the late 80's. You will have plenty of opportunity to catch up once I get thru the geezer era. I also may consider alternating eras, first with a 60's quiz and then with an 80's quiz. It's a work in progress as I am doing the research myself and can't afford an intern or research assistant, lol.

Thanks for your comments.

JB
JB,
I know I'm young at heart. I certainly try to keep a young perspective on everything. I must have done it so well that, for some reason, you're seeing me as decades younger than I actually am.
Thanks for the compliment!
Old 08-27-16, 02:11 PM
All American

The late Gummo Marx's ex-wife, Barbara, is Frank Sinatra's widow. I don't know if she was Gummo's widow also or if they were divorced. She does not come off real well in the Sinatra biography I read this year. Not a hatchet job but neither does Frank.
Old 08-27-16, 02:12 PM
All World

Quote:
JB,
I know I'm young at heart. I certainly try to keep a young perspective on everything. I must have done it so well that, for some reason, you're seeing me as decades younger than I actually am.
Monclova Steve - Please do take the above as a compliment. You can never be too rich, too smart, too healthy or too young. I also think the guy who recorded "Apache" was the same one who did "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly"

"JB" - I saw where Lima upended Middletown last night.

I think I can add the first name from "Mr. Custer". The artist was LARRY Verne.

At this point, are we permitted more guesses?

Keep the Ball Rollin'
Old 08-27-16, 02:52 PM
All American

Smile

Quote:
JB,

Absolutely take it as a compliment ! Now that I understand you may be years older than I thought, I may have to throw in some old tunes from vaudeville . Just kidding. However, I will later on be asking a question about The song "The Entertainer" which was written in 1902 by Scott Joplin and hit the charts at #3 in 1974, so be prepared. I'll bet OWK has the original release on one of those Edison discs he used to play on his Victrola, lol.

JB
Old 08-27-16, 03:13 PM
All American

Quote:
Monclova Steve - Please do take the above as a compliment. You can never be too rich, too smart, too healthy or too young. I also think the guy who recorded "Apache" was the same one who did "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly"

"JB" - I saw where Lima upended Middletown last night.

I think I can add the first name from "Mr. Custer". The artist was LARRY Verne.

At this point, are we permitted more guesses?

Keep the Ball Rollin'
Yes, the Spartans managed to beat Middletown 24-17 in one of the ugliest games I've seen in a long time. Lima had 17 penalties for 137 yds. They have a long way to go ! The first quarter took 47 minutes. The Spartans do have one solid D1 prospect in Jaden Walker who rushed for 215 yds and a couple tds. Archie Griffin was there to watch his son, Andre get his initial win as our new coach. Have an interesting story about Archie at our game last night I'll share later, getting ready to head to cookout right now.

Hugo Montenegro did the theme from "The Good, Bad, and the Ugly" but not "Apache"

Larry Verne is correct answer for Mr Custer. giving you and Bevo shared credit since he came up with last name.

Yes,everyone can now answer 3 more questions.

More later, gotta run.

JB

Last edited by Johnstown Benny; 08-27-16 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-27-16, 03:43 PM
All American

For the record, I actually DO know most of the songs in the quiz. For some reason (probably my own feebleness of mind, body, and soul), I couldn't think of the names of the artists.

There. I feel SOOOOO much better now.
Old 08-27-16, 05:13 PM
All World

Quote:
For the record, I actually DO know most of the songs in the quiz. For some reason (probably my own feebleness of mind, body, and soul), I couldn't think of the names of the artists.

Good for you, Monclova Steve! Now I have to take advantage of JB's trivia quiz because I'm among the oldest (if no THE oldest) of the AARP Boys.

Here are three more guesses:
15. Teen Angel, Mark Dinning
16. A Million To One, Jimmy Charles
17. He'll Have To stay, Skeeter Davis

ROCK ON
Old 08-27-16, 07:53 PM
All American

I get a bad mark on the Marx brothers. Barbara Sinatra was married to Zeppo. Same result.
Old 08-27-16, 09:26 PM
All American

Quote:

If you feel better, then I feel better also.

JB
Old 08-27-16, 09:29 PM
All American

Quote:
I get a bad mark on the Marx brothers. Barbara Sinatra was married to Zeppo. Same result.
No problem, it was the same result either way.

JB
Old 08-27-16, 09:46 PM
All American

Quote:
Good for you, Monclova Steve! Now I have to take advantage of JB's trivia quiz because I'm among the oldest (if no THE oldest) of the AARP Boys.

Here are three more guesses:
15. Teen Angel, Mark Dinning
16. A Million To One, Jimmy Charles
17. He'll Have To stay, Skeeter Davis

ROCK ON
15 Teen Angel by Mark Dinning is correct. Mark Dinning took this all the way to #1 in 1960. His sister, Jeannie wrote the song.

16 A Million To One by Jimmy Charles is correct. This was a toughie. It made it to #5 in 1960. Good Job.

17 He'll Have To Stay by Skeeter Davis is incorrect. This song was an "answer" song to the Jim Reeves song "He'll Have To Go" which peaked at #2 on the pop charts and #1 on the country charts. This song reached #4 on the pop charts.

JB

As Meatloaf would say ,"Two Out Of Three, Ain't Bad"

JB
Old 08-27-16, 09:57 PM
All World

Quote:
As Meatloaf would say ,"Two Out Of Three, Ain't Bad"
JB

I got the opportunity to watch My Music - Cornerstones of Rock PBS Special. I really enjoyed the program, especially The Buckinghams, The American Breed and, of course, Rick Derringer and "Hang on Sloopy". The American Breed, with its original members, looked like a group of businessmen who just walked on stage. They were, however, very good. Also, I never knew that a verse had been deleted from "Hang on Sloopy".

ROCK ON

Last edited by One Who Knows; 08-27-16 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-27-16, 11:26 PM
All American

Every kid on the Little League World Series teams is 5'8", 160. That's me at graduation!
What happened to the girlie pitcher from two years ago, Monique Davis. She was very good but said she wanted to play basketball for Uconn. She's be 15. she wa tough and was so athletic. Hope it is going well for her. Cover of S.I., if I remember correctly!
Old 08-29-16, 07:11 AM
All World

It seems like we've had a bit of a SNAFU. I'm just posting to see if the everything is working properly. I would be a real shame to have technical difficulties when Diva is due to reappear on this thread.

Keep the Ball Rollin'
Old 08-29-16, 08:32 AM
All American

Quote:
It seems like we've had a bit of a SNAFU. I'm just posting to see if the everything is working properly. I would be a real shame to have technical difficulties when Diva is due to reappear on this thread.

Keep the Ball Rollin'
OWK,

I'm not sure if we have a SNAFU or just an impasse ??. I'm thinking maybe everyone is trapped out at this point. Anyway,we had 8 of the 18 questions answered before activity ended. At this point anyone can use any source available in an effort to close out the remaining 10 unanswered questions. Feel free to google, call a reference librarian, or ask uncle Billy if he remembers any of those oldies but goodies.

JB
Old 08-29-16, 08:49 AM
All American

Cool

I could not log in last night.

Here's what I found and I am sure you noticed that many of these songs seemed to be prefaced with the one of two sets of words; either, "last dance" or "lady's choice". Really now, was there anything better than holding on real tightly?

16. "A Million to One" - Jimmy Charles

17. "He'll Have to Stay" - Skeeter Davis

13. Knew this right a way when I cheated;" Mule Skinner Blues" by The Fendermen. Yet, another song that I first heard at the Hill brothers' house.
Old 08-29-16, 08:51 AM
All World

Quote:
OWK,

I'm not sure if we have a SNAFU or just an impasse ??. I'm thinking maybe everyone is trapped out at this point. Anyway,we had 8 of the 18 questions answered before activity ended. At this point anyone can use any source available in an effort to close out the remaining 10 unanswered questions. Feel free to google, call a reference librarian, or ask uncle Billy if he remembers any of those oldies but goodies.

JB
"JB" - The only SNAFU was mine! I wasn't sure if you automatically got three more guesses after midnight. Here are a few more guesses:

7. I Like It Like That, Chris Kenner
10. Apache, The Shadows
18. Mother-In -Law, Ernie K. Doe

Keep the Ball Rollin'
Old 08-29-16, 09:16 AM
All American

Quote:
I could not log in last night.

Here's what I found and I am sure you noticed that many of these songs seemed to be prefaced with the one of two sets of words; either, "last dance" or "lady's choice". Really now, was there anything better than holding on real tightly?

16. "A Million to One" - Jimmy Charles

17. "He'll Have to Stay" - Skeeter Davis

13. Knew this right a way when I cheated;" Mule Skinner Blues" by The Fendermen. Yet, another song that I first heard at the Hill brothers' house.
Bevo,

Purely a coincidence, but you are right about holding on real tight observervation. How 'bout these two for a little "grinding" music. . .
" When A Man Loves A Woman" by Percy Sledge or 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" by The Righteous Brothers ?

#16 is correct, but OWK answered it first
#17 is incorrect, but OWK had the same answer, are you guys tagteaming,lol
#13 is correct and why was I never invited to the Hill Brothers house?
I used to love their coffee.

JB

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: