Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
Old 12-04-13, 12:21 PM
All District

Make a Play is on a distinguished road
Does anybody know when the tickets go on sale for the St Ed's vs St V-M game?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-13, 04:24 PM
Junior Varsity

CoachHoops is on a distinguished road
I am predicting the Dowell twins are going to surprise a lot of people this year on the basketball court. Remember, you read it here first!
Old 12-07-13, 04:26 PM
All Yappi

EaglePride01
Eagles take opener at John Adams 94-39.
Old 12-08-13, 09:05 AM
All Ohio

sehs
Does anybody know what happened at the game last night? The PD said there wasn't an incident involving one of our players and some fans.
Old 12-08-13, 09:42 AM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
CatAlum will have the details soon enough
Old 12-08-13, 01:28 PM
All Yappi

EaglePride01
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs View Post
Does anybody know what happened at the game last night? The PD said there wasn't an incident involving one of our players and some fans.
Apparently there was some extracurricular activity between two players after a foul and the John Adams fans came out of the stands throwing punches. Not sure which players, if any, got involved at that point and may be facing suspension. Whole thing sounds pretty sad.
Old 12-08-13, 11:13 PM
Junior Varsity

Bballdog is on a distinguished road
Derrick Funderburke of St Eds only kid ejected which means auto 2game suspension.....dunno what The School will tack on
Old 12-09-13, 09:13 AM
All Yappi

EaglePride01
Was Funderburk actually ejected? The PD article stated that it was unclear if any players were actually issued ejections, but that Flannery did not play Funderburk following the incident. The game recap from St. Edward's website states that Funderburk was put in the locker room for his own safety.
Old 12-09-13, 06:45 PM
All Ohio

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
Why would an elite blue blood program like Ed's even play John Adams. I heard not many starters played in the second half and they won by like 60. What is the point of playing a subpar team full of thugs at their place with thugs in the stands. Zero reason. There is a reason why schools like John Adams have a bad reputation - they have earned it.
Old 12-09-13, 07:28 PM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
Is your school on the schedule? If not, then their is the answer.
Old 12-09-13, 07:36 PM
All Ohio

Yes we play Ed's at the end of the season at home.
Old 12-09-13, 07:55 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
I wish people were more careful about throwing the word "thug" around so casually.
Old 12-09-13, 09:11 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
Why would an elite blue blood program like Ed's even play John Adams. I heard not many starters played in the second half and they won by like 60. What is the point of playing a subpar team full of thugs at their place with thugs in the stands. Zero reason. There is a reason why schools like John Adams have a bad reputation - they have earned it.
I don't know that John Adams has a bad reputation. Where did you get that? Admittedly, it's an inner city school and was closed for a few years due to a re-build.

It may not have worked out well, but I tip my hat to Flannery (and O'Toole) for playing games in the inner city at "their place". Seems like the Christian thing to do. I'm sure Flannery expected a better game.
Old 12-09-13, 09:18 PM
Grumpy

EagleFan will become famous soon enough
Seems difficult to find clear information on what happened.
Old 12-09-13, 09:20 PM
All Ohio

The Adams coach openly admitted after the game about the school. He said they have been trying to eliminate that kind of behavior. He said it was a shame it happened. That tells me there is an issue and that it's been on going. Hard fouls happen in basketball - even more so it seems when a team is getting blown out. The Adams kid had no right slamming the Ed's kid on his head and its fair to say the Ed's kid should not have thrown a punch. That being said either this was planned or the kids in the stands (thugs) were just looking for a chance to cause trouble. If you slam a kid on his head or come out of the stands to fight - I'm sorry your a thug. It is what it is. Ed's get zero benefit playing that school and now will likely be short handed against SVSM.
Old 12-10-13, 06:54 AM
Junior Varsity

Bballdog is on a distinguished road
Here to set record straight as I was an eyewitness to the brawl.....Funderburke and kid did get tangled under the basket after Adams player fouled Funderburke then during the tanglement in which Funderburke was trying to push the Adams player off Funderburke fired 2 shots to the head of the Adams player before he was slammed to ground then all hell broke loose....8 Adams players suspended including best player Devon Robinson and Eds Funderburke
Old 12-10-13, 07:11 AM
All Ohio

What about the kids coming out of the stands and Funderburke's father. I heard that the kid was getting the crap beat out of him and that his Dad had to come to his rescue and in the process got arrested. Can you shed any light on the entire situation. Also is what are the suspensions for Ed's . Will it effect the SVSM game.
Old 12-10-13, 08:54 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
The Adams kid had no right slamming the Ed's kid on his head and its fair to say the Ed's kid should not have thrown a punch. That being said either this was planned or the kids in the stands (thugs) were just looking for a chance to cause trouble. If you slam a kid on his head or come out of the stands to fight - I'm sorry your a thug.
Didn't see this, obviously, but I'm trying to understand your position. People coming out of the stands? Thugs. Person who slams kid on his head? Thug.

How about the punch thrower....thug?

fwiw...I've seen Flannery handle discipline issues in the past and he's always been great with that sort of thing. If a kid needs a "time out", Flannery will take care of it.
Old 12-10-13, 05:23 PM
Junior Varsity

CoachHoops is on a distinguished road
I was there. Crazy and very sad...that's all I have to say.
Old 12-10-13, 06:47 PM
All Ohio

My position is that anything that happens on the floor during play should be handled by the refs. That includes slamming a player on his head or throwing a punch. Coming out of the stands and jumping a player is thug behavior.
Old 12-10-13, 10:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
My position is that anything that happens on the floor during play should be handled by the refs. That includes slamming a player on his head or throwing a punch. Coming out of the stands and jumping a player is thug behavior.
You called their players thugs...TWICE. Just trying to figure out your standards.
Old 12-11-13, 03:52 PM
All Yappi

EaglePride01
Will there be a webcast of the game this Friday?
Old 12-11-13, 04:33 PM
Junior Varsity

johnnysportsfan69 is on a distinguished road
Altercation

I was at the game also. The Robinson kid kick started emotions in the first minute of the game when he got tied up by Hamilton. It was a clean play that Robinson over reacted to and began taunting & dancing towards Hamilton for no valid reason. He clearly didn't like being tied up for a jump ball because that's all it was. I didn't understand the fan's reaction on Robinson's dunk either as the JA fans went ballistic over a 2 point dunk to close it to 40-19.

Fast fwd with Robinson and 2 defenders crowding Funderburke to the point he couldn't even turn and outlet on the play in question. They did not provide enough space for him to turn and see the floor and the fact that Robinson got elbowed when Funerburke turned was his own fault. The JA players at that point should have let the Ref make the proper call but they took matters into their own hands creating a riot. While Funderburke may have thrown the 1st punch, they're aggressive behavior put him in a very defensive position of be attacked or go into protect mode. I don't know the exact rule but there is basketball protocol that you do not put your face in another guys face without giving room to maneuver. If anyone doesn't agree with that, then there is no question Funderburke did zero wrong and Robinson has no one to blame but himself. Funderburke did not extend the elbows at ALL.

If I'm a college coach watching that game and Robinson is on my list, he's now off of it. IMO, he initiated the bad emotions when he challenged Hamilton to a show down in the initial 60 seconds of the game. THUG is in no way associated with Funderburke because he reacted to defend himself - he was attacked!

I'd hate to see what would have happened to Funderburke if him and his Dad didn't defend the player. Those 3 and their "posse" out of the stands weren't charging to give out Xmas Cards - they were on a mission regardless if the Ed's player would not have thrown the punch. If the OHSAA wanted to get the situation right, they would NOT suspend Funderburke. He didn't choose to be in that situation, JA players put him there and blamed Funderburke for their bad judgment resulting in a "bow" in the chops. If you don't want to get elbowed, my suggestion would be to not put your face in the guys elbow.

In summary, Robinson didn't like someone being physical with him when he got "jump balled" early in the game and wanted to fight, and conversely when Robinson himself got over physical with Funderburke, he didn't like those results either. He blew it for himself, his school, his community, HS basketball, and Eds doing them the favor of going out there to play. Bet it won't happen for another 20 years! Thank God for the Metal Detector entering the gym.
Old 12-11-13, 05:39 PM
All Ohio

That is pretty much what I heard. I again question why elite teams even take the chance by playing in that environment. The negative far outweighs the positive. I'm guessing Adams is off the 2014 schedule for Ed's. There are a ton of teams in the suburbs that the Eagles can play and beat by 60 - safely.
Old 12-12-13, 06:02 AM
All Region

fballfan is on a distinguished road
Nice write about former Eagle Jake Lorbach, now at OSU as a walk on.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.s...l#incart_river
Old 12-12-13, 06:03 AM
All Region

fballfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePride01 View Post
Will there be a webcast of the game this Friday?
Yes the game will be webcast
Old 12-12-13, 09:07 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
That is pretty much what I heard. I again question why elite teams even take the chance by playing in that environment. The negative far outweighs the positive. I'm guessing Adams is off the 2014 schedule for Ed's. There are a ton of teams in the suburbs that the Eagles can play and beat by 60 - safely.
It's interesting. Chaotic events can be perceived (and analyzed) in very different ways by those who witness them. Yesterday, I spoke with a St. Ed's-affiliated adult who was at the game, who opined that the incident really got out of hand as a result of St. Ed's parent(s) going onto the court.
Old 12-12-13, 10:22 AM
All Yappi

hs sports fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePride01 View Post
Was Funderburk actually ejected? The PD article stated that it was unclear if any players were actually issued ejections, but that Flannery did not play Funderburk following the incident. The game recap from St. Edward's website states that Funderburk was put in the locker room for his own safety.
The recap in The Plain Dealer says that he sat on the bench for the rest of the game: http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...er-john-adams/

Quote:
Flannery said he was trying to pull people away from Funderburk, and that he did sit on the bench the rest of the game.
Norm Weber's recap on the St. Ed's site sounds made up and is completely unprofessional, which is probably why he writes for them and is not a member of the media. http://www.sehs.net/?page=SEHS_BBall_Home

Quote:
The game was marred by an incident. Derek Funderburk came down with a rebound and was pulled to the ground and out of bounds by a John Adams player. At that point the John Adams student section stormed the floor.

The game had to be stopped and Funderburk was taken to the locker room, where he could be safe for the rest of the game. There was some security at the game to restore things to sanity.

“There was not enough security,” St. Ed’s Coach Eric Flannery said. “The police finally showed up later and said they were not even aware that a game was taking place. Security was beefed up after the incident. At that point we decided to put it to them and play our best.”
First of all, nobody on here claiming to have witnessed the incident has said anything about Furnderburk being "thrown to the ground." Exaggerate much?

And the quote from Flannery seems 100% made up. I don't believe he would make such a statement knowing it would go on the school's website. If he did, then he set a bad example for his players.
Old 12-12-13, 10:23 AM
All Yappi

hs sports fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
fwiw...I've seen Flannery handle discipline issues in the past and he's always been great with that sort of thing. If a kid needs a "time out", Flannery will take care of it.
According to this article from a few years ago, Ed's has a policy that doubles any suspension handed down by the OHSAA.
http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...xt-four-games/
Old 12-12-13, 10:58 AM
Junior Varsity

johnnysportsfan69 is on a distinguished road
Affiliated Parent off base

Funderburke was on the ground, at the bottom of the pile, with multiple people punching and even trying to kick him. He surfaced with a huge knot on his head.

The parent is mis-informed and I'm pretty certain if you interviewed St. Ed's fan base they would disagree with that assertion.

Funderburke got ganged up on and one of the players was grabbing his hips trying to pull him to the ground while the other 2 were stepping in to inflict punches. Then the JA fans piled on - then all heck broke loose. This is the way it happened.