Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Barberton Magics

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-12-13, 01:57 PM
BuckeyeInsider BuckeyeInsider is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 01-21-13
Posts: 995
Can we discuss anything anymore ?

Someone mentioned Taylor Mitchell is ineligible ? Is this the same Mitchell that was now our best basketball player ?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-12-13, 02:21 PM
frecriss frecriss is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-10-03
Location: THE Magic City
Posts: 16,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInsider View Post
Someone mentioned Taylor Mitchell is ineligible ? Is this the same Mitchell that was now our best basketball player ?

If you are talking about Brandon Taylor-Mitchell, yes he is ineligible for fall sports. Hopefully he gets his act together and gets eligible by the winter sports season. He probably would have been our starting QB this season.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-12-13, 04:36 PM
BuckeyeInsider BuckeyeInsider is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 01-21-13
Posts: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by frecriss View Post
If you are talking about Brandon Taylor-Mitchell, yes he is ineligible for fall sports. Hopefully he gets his act together and gets eligible by the winter sports season. He probably would have been our starting QB this season.
ok, Thank you.. Just wasn't sure why the 45 players thread got closed.. I thought he was a soph not a freshman ?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-12-13, 04:42 PM
Time4Purple Time4Purple is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-01-12
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInsider View Post
ok, Thank you.. Just wasn't sure why the 45 players thread got closed.. I thought he was a soph not a freshman ?
He's a soph. He played QB last year as freshman.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-12-13, 04:46 PM
BuckeyeInsider BuckeyeInsider is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 01-21-13
Posts: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4Purple View Post
He's a soph. He played QB last year as freshman.
Ok Ty.. Hopefully Barberton has some patience and this young man can get his act together...

Now when you say would of started QB, you don't mean he would of started over # 7 do you ?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-12-13, 06:30 PM
Time4Purple Time4Purple is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-01-12
Posts: 247
So here's what I'm trying to understand...

I keep hearing about us losing kids to other schools but do we have any former middle school players now playing for other high schools... either public or private? (Please don't mention Chippewa.... I don't need that craziness spilling over to this BARBERTON thread)

...or is academic ineligibility the real reason we only have 45-players? It sounds like both our 9th and 10th gr classes are impacted substantially by academic ineligibility.

Any players at St-V, Hoban, Walsh, Norton, Wadsworth, Northwest,Kenmore, anywhere...?
I'm not aware of any but there must be some....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-12-13, 06:40 PM
God'sCountry God'sCountry is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-17-10
Posts: 545
Bad job on coaches. Guarantee he's eligible for bball season.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-12-13, 07:02 PM
Time4Purple Time4Purple is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-01-12
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by God'sCountry View Post
Bad job on coaches. Guarantee he's eligible for bball season.
Please tell me I'm misunderstanding your post....

You are not blaming a kid being ineligible on coaches, right?
Please tell me I'm mis-reading this.....PLEASE.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-12-13, 07:15 PM
Time4Purple Time4Purple is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-01-12
Posts: 247
Hey, BuckeyeInsider... to continue a friendly discussion from the other thread:

"If we want to start talking about SMALL LEAGUES then lets start picking on the PTC, who has Kent, who would spank Barberton in football.."

Traditionally, the top 2 football programs over time in WCL are Dalton and Smithville. Here are enrollments from OHSAA.

ROOSEVELT (KENT) - 433 boys , 448 girls
BARBERTON - 496 boys , 435 girls
SMITHVILLE - 154 boys , 150 girls
DALTON - 127 boys , 115 girls

I sure ain't gonna argue with you about Barberton vs Kent. But, the facts are that schools in the WCL don't compare at all with Barberton or Kent. It's apples and oranges.
Don't get me wrong... there are exceptions...Norwayne last few years could play with just about anybody.
But playing Rittman, Hillsdale, and Waynedale every week is not quite the same as playing Cuyahoga Falls, Kenmore, and Hoban.
A player who chooses to go play at a smaller school like one in WCL, is choosing to play a lower-tier of competition in general.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-12-13, 07:29 PM
cgamble cgamble is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-07-11
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4Purple View Post
Hey, BuckeyeInsider... to continue a friendly discussion from the other thread:

"If we want to start talking about SMALL LEAGUES then lets start picking on the PTC, who has Kent, who would spank Barberton in football.."

Traditionally, the top 2 football programs over time in WCL are Dalton and Smithville. Here are enrollments from OHSAA.

ROOSEVELT (KENT) - 433 boys , 448 girls
BARBERTON - 496 boys , 435 girls
SMITHVILLE - 154 boys , 150 girls
DALTON - 127 boys , 115 girls

I sure ain't gonna argue with you about Barberton vs Kent. But, the facts are that schools in the WCL don't compare at all with Barberton or Kent. It's apples and oranges.
Don't get me wrong... there are exceptions...Norwayne last few years could play with just about anybody.
But playing Rittman, Hillsdale, and Waynedale every week is not quite the same as playing Cuyahoga Falls, Kenmore, and Hoban.
A player who chooses to go play at a smaller school like one in WCL, is choosing to play a lower-tier of competition in general.
Or maybe they're choosing better surroundings because they have seen what's happening to the town and even some of their closest friends and/or classmates. Or maybe they enjoy being able to go out on the field and play hard without having to wonder if their "fans" will be degrading them on Yappi the next day. Or hey maybe it's not even their choice at all. Maybe their parents move and they just want to play. No matter the reason it is not your job to judge or bash. And as for the other thread there's no way anyone believes that you don't know who the 2 that went to Chippewa were or that you were giving a hypothetical situation.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-12-13, 08:02 PM
God'sCountry God'sCountry is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-17-10
Posts: 545
Noone cares about you anymore. It wouldn't be football season without cgamble whoever you are commenting on the barberton forums. Noone was ripping and any kids before you piped in. It was only stated that why is there only 45 players. A simple comment of I know two went to Chippewa are there anyother kids playing elsewhere is not a nock on anyone. So please do us all a favor and move from the forums like you did from the town.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-12-13, 08:05 PM
God'sCountry God'sCountry is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-17-10
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4Purple View Post
Please tell me I'm misunderstanding your post....

You are not blaming a kid being ineligible on coaches, right?
Please tell me I'm mis-reading this.....PLEASE.
Not blaming them but they can help. Basketball players seem to find the basketball court why can't football players stay on thd football field. Does the bball team have study table and fball not? Gotta be something different
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-12-13, 08:18 PM
cgamble cgamble is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-07-11
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by God'sCountry View Post
Noone cares about you anymore. It wouldn't be football season without cgamble whoever you are commenting on the barberton forums. Noone was ripping and any kids before you piped in. It was only stated that why is there only 45 players. A simple comment of I know two went to Chippewa are there anyother kids playing elsewhere is not a nock on anyone. So please do us all a favor and move from the forums like you did from the town.
Cgamble would never comment if the few of you who keep making negative remarks would quit. There was most definitely a negative comment made about Chippewa's league and I'll respond to them as long as they are being made. Don't like it don't read them. The only time I've ever commented on a thread first was to wish the Magics good luck against the falls.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-12-13, 08:21 PM
cgamble cgamble is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-07-11
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by God'sCountry View Post
Noone cares about you anymore. It wouldn't be football season without cgamble whoever you are commenting on the barberton forums. Noone was ripping and any kids before you piped in. It was only stated that why is there only 45 players. A simple comment of I know two went to Chippewa are there anyother kids playing elsewhere is not a nock on anyone. So please do us all a favor and move from the forums like you did from the town.
Lets recite the whole quote not just part of it

"How many Barberton kids are CURRENTLY playing for other high schools?
I know of 2 -- both at Chippewa -- getting that super-challenging competition of the WCL . For those who don't know, the WCL is where our '140 lb' lineman would be considered LARGE."
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-12-13, 09:43 PM
Time4Purple Time4Purple is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-01-12
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by God'sCountry View Post
Not blaming them but they can help. Basketball players seem to find the basketball court why can't football players stay on thd football field. Does the bball team have study table and fball not? Gotta be something different
Good point. Something sure seems like it has to be done. I think basketball is easier because you are dealing with a much smaller group of kids.... plus I think lots of kids screw-around in spring quarter... which makes them miss football season.

I know if I was head-coach, I'd really be spending some energy trying to fix this problem. It's not the coaches fault, but it's a problem that he needs to address... somehow.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-12-13, 10:18 PM
Time4Purple Time4Purple is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-01-12
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgamble View Post
Or maybe they're choosing better surroundings because they have seen what's happening to the town and even some of their closest friends and/or classmates. Or maybe they enjoy being able to go out on the field and play hard without having to wonder if their "fans" will be degrading them on Yappi the next day. Or hey maybe it's not even their choice at all. Maybe their parents move and they just want to play. No matter the reason it is not your job to judge or bash. And as for the other thread there's no way anyone believes that you don't know who the 2 that went to Chippewa were or that you were giving a hypothetical situation.
We moved this thread so we could have a discussion between BARBERTON fans... but I guess u found us. I know better, but I just can resist so I'll respond to u one more time.. I know I'd be better off beating my head on wall, but oh well, here goes...

Everybody knows about the QB, He's heckuva young athlete and it would have been good for Barberton if he'd stayed -- he would have likely been a good player at Barberton some day.

I heard there was a 2nd player left for Chippewa too. Didn't know a name or anything else -- never heard much about this player. Apparently he's a Gamble so I've found out. I'm glad things are going great for young Mr. Gamble at Chippewa. I hear he's quite a strapping young man. Good for him -- and Chippewa.

BUT...None of this was the point of my original post that got u all freaked out. Nobody is out to get you -- I'd have to know who u or your kid even are to be out to get you.

Here was the point that I was trying to make to BARBERTON fans:
1. Barberton is not losing players to football powerhouses like St-V or Massillon -- like many keep implying. We are losing lots of them to academic ineligibility.
2. We have only lost 2 players (a very good young QB and "some other guy" were what I knew at time) and that was to Chippewa.
3. Chippewa is NOT a football powerhouse stealing our players. Chippewa is a small school in a league full of small farm towns.
4.My comment about 140 lb lineman was an insiders JOKE which BARBERTON FANS who follow these threads would recognize from recent discussions.

But since you have brought it up, I will clarify these facts again -- and these are facts -- they are not my opinion:
1. The Wayne County League is made up of D5-7 teams.
2. D5-7 are the 3 smallest divisions in OHSAA-- and there are divisions for reason.
3. The WCL teams are not overly strong even for D5-7 teams (other than Norwayne recently).

This is nothing personal. The WCL is a great league.. for what it is... a league of small farm towns that lets boys play football. Good for them.

What the WCL is NOT is a football juggernaut stealing the top football players from other larger schools like Barberton.

Now, cgamble, I don't expect u to understand any of this for obvious reasons...but I just had to say it anyway. Good luck in the big game against rival Rittman this year !!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-12-13, 11:58 PM
cgamble cgamble is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-07-11
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4Purple View Post
We moved this thread so we could have a discussion between BARBERTON fans... but I guess u found us. I know better, but I just can resist so I'll respond to u one more time.. I know I'd be better off beating my head on wall, but oh well, here goes...

Everybody knows about the QB, He's heckuva young athlete and it would have been good for Barberton if he'd stayed -- he would have likely been a good player at Barberton some day.

I heard there was a 2nd player left for Chippewa too. Didn't know a name or anything else -- never heard much about this player. Apparently he's a Gamble so I've found out. I'm glad things are going great for young Mr. Gamble at Chippewa. I hear he's quite a strapping young man. Good for him -- and Chippewa.

BUT...None of this was the point of my original post that got u all freaked out. Nobody is out to get you -- I'd have to know who u or your kid even are to be out to get you.

Here was the point that I was trying to make to BARBERTON fans:
1. Barberton is not losing players to football powerhouses like St-V or Massillon -- like many keep implying. We are losing lots of them to academic ineligibility.
2. We have only lost 2 players (a very good young QB and "some other guy" were what I knew at time) and that was to Chippewa.
3. Chippewa is NOT a football powerhouse stealing our players. Chippewa is a small school in a league full of small farm towns.
4.My comment about 140 lb lineman was an insiders JOKE which BARBERTON FANS who follow these threads would recognize from recent discussions.

But since you have brought it up, I will clarify these facts again -- and these are facts -- they are not my opinion:
1. The Wayne County League is made up of D5-7 teams.
2. D5-7 are the 3 smallest divisions in OHSAA-- and there are divisions for reason.
3. The WCL teams are not overly strong even for D5-7 teams (other than Norwayne recently).

This is nothing personal. The WCL is a great league.. for what it is... a league of small farm towns that lets boys play football. Good for them.

What the WCL is NOT is a football juggernaut stealing the top football players from other larger schools like Barberton.

Now, cgamble, I don't expect u to understand any of this for obvious reasons...but I just had to say it anyway. Good luck in the big game against rival Rittman this year !!
Oh I completely understand the facts , just tired of the negativity but I'll just thank you for the well wishes. And as I stated weeks ago best of luck to the Magics.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-13-13, 01:11 AM
BuckeyeInsider BuckeyeInsider is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 01-21-13
Posts: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4Purple View Post
Hey, BuckeyeInsider... to continue a friendly discussion from the other thread:

"If we want to start talking about SMALL LEAGUES then lets start picking on the PTC, who has Kent, who would spank Barberton in football.."

Traditionally, the top 2 football programs over time in WCL are Dalton and Smithville. Here are enrollments from OHSAA.

ROOSEVELT (KENT) - 433 boys , 448 girls
BARBERTON - 496 boys , 435 girls
SMITHVILLE - 154 boys , 150 girls
DALTON - 127 boys , 115 girls

I sure ain't gonna argue with you about Barberton vs Kent. But, the facts are that schools in the WCL don't compare at all with Barberton or Kent. It's apples and oranges.
Don't get me wrong... there are exceptions...Norwayne last few years could play with just about anybody.
But playing Rittman, Hillsdale, and Waynedale every week is not quite the same as playing Cuyahoga Falls, Kenmore, and Hoban.
A player who chooses to go play at a smaller school like one in WCL, is choosing to play a lower-tier of competition in general.
I get your point on Kent's size compared to WCL but Kent is also way bigger than every school in the PTC ( Ravenna could be close ).. You brought up players look smaller when they join a smaller league ( The WCL ) so I brought up the point that the PTC is petty darn small league also but still have plenty of players that are BIGGER than the tiny line Barberton has..

I'll say this and I will argue with any other fan from any other school but all Barberton is missing is a little depth and big guys on both sides on the line.. Barberton's line is embarrassingly small... Barberton does have talent though.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-13-13, 01:11 AM
BuckeyeInsider BuckeyeInsider is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 01-21-13
Posts: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgamble View Post
Or maybe they're choosing better surroundings because they have seen what's happening to the town and even some of their closest friends and/or classmates. Or maybe they enjoy being able to go out on the field and play hard without having to wonder if their "fans" will be degrading them on Yappi the next day. Or hey maybe it's not even their choice at all. Maybe their parents move and they just want to play. No matter the reason it is not your job to judge or bash. And as for the other thread there's no way anyone believes that you don't know who the 2 that went to Chippewa were or that you were giving a hypothetical situation.
THIS ^^^ nice post...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-13-13, 01:16 AM
BuckeyeInsider BuckeyeInsider is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 01-21-13
Posts: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by God'sCountry View Post
Noone cares about you anymore. It wouldn't be football season without cgamble whoever you are commenting on the barberton forums. Noone was ripping and any kids before you piped in. It was only stated that why is there only 45 players. A simple comment of I know two went to Chippewa are there anyother kids playing elsewhere is not a nock on anyone. So please do us all a favor and move from the forums like you did from the town.
How about to go back in find the post where she wished Barberton the best of luck before the season started ..

2 I brought up the name Gamble as a example of players we don't need to pushing out of the door or maybe try harder to keep here... 6-5 280.. Noo Baberton doesn't need that at all.. So no it was not Mrs Gamble..

3 Time4Purple ( not calling you out ) brought up gambles name in the Youth results after I made a stupid comment.. Get your facts straight and while you or anybody else wants to run their mouths remember she is doing it under HER NAME.. You are men doing it under hidden names...

Purple that was directed towards country not you..
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-13-13, 01:19 AM
BuckeyeInsider BuckeyeInsider is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 01-21-13
Posts: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by God'sCountry View Post
Not blaming them but they can help. Basketball players seem to find the basketball court why can't football players stay on thd football field. Does the bball team have study table and fball not? Gotta be something different
How many kids are on the varsity roster on football compared to basketball ? I think it's a lot easier to take time and help a kid out when you only have to worry about 12 players, not 45... The more kids there are, the more that are bound to get in trouble.. Common sense man
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-13-13, 05:41 AM
Time4Purple Time4Purple is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-01-12
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInsider View Post
I get your point on Kent's size compared to WCL but Kent is also way bigger than every school in the PTC ( Ravenna could be close ).. You brought up players look smaller when they join a smaller league ( The WCL ) so I brought up the point that the PTC is petty darn small league also but still have plenty of players that are BIGGER than the tiny line Barberton has..

I'll say this and I will argue with any other fan from any other school but all Barberton is missing is a little depth and big guys on both sides on the line.. Barberton's line is embarrassingly small... Barberton does have talent though.
You are absolutely right. Most every team has some big guys. Its more a matter of depth. So big schools should be able to have a pool of 15 big guys form their line. Smaller schools may only have 5 big guys. So no depth and no internal competition. Barberton due to low player turnout is like a small school in many ways... nice skill position talent and some good lineman...but lack of lineman depth.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-13-13, 07:21 AM
RocketEagle RocketEagle is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-10-13
Posts: 249
Don't you actually have to have to have players others would want...BEFORE saying they are losing players to St. V etc? QB is IT!!!

Kenmore may be taking the Magics to the woodshed to relieve their stress.

Cards have played a superior opening schedule in Knapp's first year as the man.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-13-13, 09:29 AM
akron1 akron1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-16-07
Posts: 1,564
^^^^ That juggernaut on Cleve-Mass Rd? Way to make the city look stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-13-13, 12:43 PM
BuckeyeInsider BuckeyeInsider is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 01-21-13
Posts: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4Purple View Post
You are absolutely right. Most every team has some big guys. Its more a matter of depth. So big schools should be able to have a pool of 15 big guys form their line. Smaller schools may only have 5 big guys. So no depth and no internal competition. Barberton due to low player turnout is like a small school in many ways... nice skill position talent and some good lineman...but lack of lineman depth.
Does Barberton have a program that develops kids that are too big to play with other kids at a young age ? I remember around the time I moved here is you weighed to much you couldn't play.. Why not have some type of Oline Dline training for these kids
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-13-13, 12:45 PM
BuckeyeInsider BuckeyeInsider is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 01-21-13
Posts: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketEagle View Post
Don't you actually have to have to have players others would want...BEFORE saying they are losing players to St. V etc? QB is IT!!!

Kenmore may be taking the Magics to the woodshed to relieve their stress.

Cards have played a superior opening schedule in Knapp's first year as the man.
I'm just going out on a limb but didn't you guys lose to Norton ? way to look like a
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-13-13, 12:45 PM
frecriss frecriss is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-10-03
Location: THE Magic City
Posts: 16,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInsider View Post
Does Barberton have a program that develops kids that are too big to play with other kids at a young age ? I remember around the time I moved here is you weighed to much you couldn't play.. Why not have some type of Oline Dline training for these kids
Barberton's youth football program doesn't have a weight limit.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-13-13, 12:47 PM
BuckeyeInsider BuckeyeInsider is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 01-21-13
Posts: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by frecriss View Post
Barberton's youth football program doesn't have a weight limit.
Or that works.. Anything is better then telling a young kid he can't play because he's too big
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-13-13, 10:02 PM
frecriss frecriss is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-10-03
Location: THE Magic City
Posts: 16,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketEagle View Post
Don't you actually have to have to have players others would want...BEFORE saying they are losing players to St. V etc? QB is IT!!!

Kenmore may be taking the Magics to the woodshed to relieve their stress.

Cards have played a superior opening schedule in Knapp's first year as the man.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-13-13, 10:09 PM
frecriss frecriss is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-10-03
Location: THE Magic City
Posts: 16,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInsider View Post
I get your point on Kent's size compared to WCL but Kent is also way bigger than every school in the PTC ( Ravenna could be close ).. You brought up players look smaller when they join a smaller league ( The WCL ) so I brought up the point that the PTC is petty darn small league also but still have plenty of players that are BIGGER than the tiny line Barberton has..

I'll say this and I will argue with any other fan from any other school but all Barberton is missing is a little depth and big guys on both sides on the line.. Barberton's line is embarrassingly small... Barberton does have talent though.
Barberton's starting offensive line:

Jordan Grof 6' 210
Khalil Looney 6'2 255
David Denson 5'10 225
Tanner McLaughlin 6'1 195
Robbie Craig 6'3 265

NT Brad Kozak is 6' 240

I wouldn't say that is embarrassing. Maybe they just look small because the QB is 6'5.

But, there is not a lot depth. Bright side is that all of the above will return in 2014.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.