Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
Old 03-01-13, 07:34 AM
All World

Joe Daugherty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
From OWS

Shakur Laney, Groveport-Madison dec. Tony DeCesare, Macedonia Nordonia 6-5
Furnas and Laney are upsets IMO. Not that they are not as good as Mario and Tony , Just that they are not as well known due to week schedules and off season events. It's a long way back through the consi bracket and notice how they fall into the consi bracket. Laney & Furnas should place.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-13, 07:47 AM
All Ohio

WrestlingEnthusiast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewallJ View Post
uh, that would have maybe been the most shocking upset of the entire tournament.
I disagree, if Bo Jordan lost that would be the most shocking loss of the tournament. Just sayin.
Old 03-01-13, 07:51 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Daugherty View Post
Furnas and Laney are upsets IMO. Not that they are not as good as Mario and Tony , Just that they are not as well known due to week schedules and off season events. It's a long way back through the consi bracket and notice how they fall into the consi bracket. Laney & Furnas should place.
They might be upsets to people that aren't familiar with them but both are very good wrestlers and capable of beating any 106 in the state (maybe not Assad or Rodriguez) as evidenced with their turnaround from sectionals to districts.

Guitierez will place again as well. He finds a way to win in C Bus.
Old 03-01-13, 07:54 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrestlingEnthusiast View Post
I disagree, if Bo Jordan lost that would be the most shocking loss of the tournament. Just sayin.
agreed!
Nace is a beast and so are most of the 106's.
Big shockers are Laney and Furnas IMO. I heard Laney reversed Tony at the end of the match for the win. Have to wrestle all 6 minutes against this field. Very talented group. leaving work at noon to get down there. Good luck to the Eagles!! Go get it !!!
Old 03-01-13, 07:58 AM
All World

Quote:
They might be upsets to people that aren't familiar with them but both are very good wrestlers and capable of beating any 106 in the state (maybe not Assad or Rodriguez) as evidenced with their turnaround from sectionals to districts.

Guitierez will place again as well. He finds a way to win in C Bus.
I like Payton but I don't see him beating Mario in the consi round. I really think Mario just brain farted or wasn't ready to wrestle. Also Payton has to get past Hoberney. It's a long way back through the consi rounds and the competition is brutal!
Old 03-01-13, 08:11 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I like Payton but I don't see him beating Mario in the consi round. I really think Mario just brain farted or wasn't ready to wrestle. Also Payton has to get past Hoberney. It's a long way back through the consi rounds and the competition is brutal!
I agree. However, Payton did beat Mario at Medina 8-4 so he's capable. That being said a win at Medina is no guarantee of a win at State.
Old 03-01-13, 08:13 AM
All American

Dad4Sports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If he beats Hoberney (or Laney) he will already be guaranteed to place......before any projected match with Guillen
Old 03-01-13, 08:15 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad4Sports View Post
If he beats Hoberney (or Laney) he will already be guaranteed to place......before any projected match with Guillen
True
Old 03-01-13, 08:17 AM
Junior Varsity

In-Hoc is on a distinguished road
There was some 4 over 1 upsets in D3. Mostly in the upper weights!!
Old 03-01-13, 08:19 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad4Sports View Post
Your correct. I was looking one match to far.
I could see Mario getting a rematch with Furnas in the 3rd & 4th place match.
Old 03-01-13, 08:22 AM
All American

bdhof is on a distinguished road
Quote:
agreed!
Nace is a beast and so are most of the 106's.
Big shockers are Laney and Furnas IMO. I heard Laney reversed Tony at the end of the match for the win. Have to wrestle all 6 minutes against this field. Very talented group. leaving work at noon to get down there. Good luck to the Eagles!! Go get it !!!
The beast went 0-2 and is done for the tournament.
Old 03-01-13, 08:24 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
The beast went 0-2 and is done for the tournament.
Yeah I got that. I looked at all three divisions today at 4 am. He is still a beast.
Old 03-01-13, 08:40 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Yeah I got that. I looked at all three divisions today at 4 am. He is still a beast.
Yes, he is. His only loss heading into districts this year was to Assad and he beat Payton multiple times and Furnas. Not sure about other wins but I'm guessing he wasn't 100 percent at this tournament. It's hard to say. Stuff happens at this level. Maybe just a bad day.
Old 03-01-13, 08:46 AM
All American

Dad4Sports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes, he is. His only loss heading into districts this year was to Assad and he beat Payton multiple times and Furnas. Not sure about other wins but I'm guessing he wasn't 100 percent at this tournament. It's hard to say. Stuff happens at this level. Maybe just a bad day.
It seems the kid just maybe picked the wrong time to have a "slump". Last week at district, and then again yesterday, Nace just didn't wrestle like he had all season long. Maybe he just peaked a bit too early......
Old 03-01-13, 08:51 AM
All World

Quote:
I agree. His first match yesterday is on youtube already. Just didn't look like himself. slugish IMO.
What I meant earlier about there being tons of talent in the 106 weight bracket was that almost all of these elite kids can have a great event or a bad one. I think as usual you will see the best ( Assad & Jose ) make the finals and the rest will filter through the consi's and you may see some re matches. ie Mario & Furnas.
Old 03-01-13, 09:52 AM
All Region

joeyb77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportnut101 View Post
Roth .....0-2 guess his 2nd match was tough after all
Right but if you actually read the entire conversation I stand by my comment. His second match was not as tough as Rodriguez in the first round.
Old 03-01-13, 10:17 AM
All American

bdhof is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree. His first match yesterday is on youtube already. Just didn't look like himself. slugish IMO.
What I meant earlier about there being tons of talent in the 106 weight bracket was that almost all of these elite kids can have a great event or a bad one. I think as usual you will see the best ( Assad & Jose ) make the finals and the rest will filter through the consi's and you may see some re matches. ie Mario & Furnas.
This is not an original thought (read it on a Yappi post) but changing 98 (in the good ol days) to 103 to 106 has strengthened this opening weight class considerably. It use to be 98, 105, and 112. So you have compressed the talent of two weight classes into one, making it much more competitive. The bump up from 103 to 106 opened the door for more talent to drift down a weight class.
Old 03-01-13, 10:22 AM
All Region

lang78 is on a distinguished road
I'm pulling for Laney and Furnas
Old 03-01-13, 10:22 AM
All World

Quote:
This is not an original thought (read it on a Yappi post) but changing 98 (in the good ol days) to 103 to 106 has strengthened this opening weight class considerably. It use to be 98, 105, and 112. So you have compressed the talent of two weight classes into one, making it much more competitive. The bump up from 103 to 106 opened the door for more talent to drift down a weight class.
From about 125-130 walking weight pre season. If it were 100 it would cut out at least 5 monsters from the present 106 weight class. It would still be a tough weight just not as loaded. IMO
Old 03-01-13, 10:41 AM
All Ohio

TrappedInParadise
Zane Nelson got pinned? WOW, didn't see that happening....
Old 03-01-13, 10:44 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I agree 100 percent.
Old 03-01-13, 10:45 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Yep, agree with you 100 percent.
Old 03-01-13, 10:53 AM
All District

Old142 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think 103 was good enough , it still opened the door for some 112's weighing about 120 or more to make the cut to 103 strengthening that weight. Think about all the 98 lb 3 and 4 timers who would never have won at 103 or 106 because they were too light ...interesting.
Old 03-01-13, 11:04 AM
All Region

on the groud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old142 View Post
I think 103 was good enough , it still opened the door for some 112's weighing about 120 or more to make the cut to 103 strengthening that weight. Think about all the 98 lb 3 and 4 timers who would never have won at 103 or 106 because they were too light ...interesting.
106 made things tough everywhere. Now this is a very competitive class all the way around.
Old 03-01-13, 11:21 AM
Varsity

CoachH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Hoc View Post
There was some 4 over 1 upsets in D3. Mostly in the upper weights!!
Five #1 seeds fell in Division 1. Of those, three lost again in conso's and are out. All three of those were from the Fairfield district.

I think Kyle Jenkins of Stow beating Jagl from Middletown would be considered an "upset". The kid is ripped but he did place 4th at Mentor and his match against #1 Jagl wasnt even close
Old 03-01-13, 11:24 AM
Varsity

CoachH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachH View Post
Five #1 seeds fell in Division 1. Of those, three lost again in conso's and are out. All three of those were from the Fairfield district.

I think Kyle Jenkins of Stow beating Jagl from Middletown would be considered an "upset". The kid is ripped but he did place 4th at Mentor and his match against #1 Jagl wasnt even close
Add Cody Burcher of Claymont losing in quarterfinals to Decatur of CVCA
Old 03-01-13, 12:12 PM
All Ohio

PIQUA_Bolin
Send a message via Yahoo to PIQUA_Bolin
What happend to Ford from Covington? I thought he made it, but don't even see him on the bracket.
Old 03-01-13, 12:16 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachH View Post

Jagel isn't the type of wrestler that can wrestle from behind. He has to be up or even to wrestle his match. I'm seeing several styles clashing so it's hard to predict who will win based on common opponents. I think Assad will pin Laney. (Once he catches him, lol) I like Guillen, Payton, Dec, and Furnas in conso round.
Old 03-01-13, 12:17 PM
All Region

joeyb77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIQUA_Bolin View Post
What happend to Ford from Covington? I thought he made it, but don't even see him on the bracket.
He made it but was a scratch
Old 03-01-13, 12:52 PM
All District

bearcatrunner is on a distinguished road
So any chance that Danis can pull out the upset here for an all SW final? Only bracket we seem to be doing quite well in at the moment. These weights so far have been disappointing. 160, 170, 220 and 285.

182: Quinton Rosser, Cin. Arch. Moeller dec. Danny Tiley, Hudson 5-3
Gunner Lay, Loveland dec. Nate Hall, Lewis Center Olentangy 6-3
Domenic Abounader, Lakewood St. Edward maj. dec. Andrew Shackelford, Worth. Thom 9-0
Thomas Danis, Mason maj. dec. Charlie Dear, Massillon Jackson 14-5