Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Notices

Old 10-01-12, 11:23 AM
Freshman

GRAND SLAM is on a distinguished road
pee wee rankings

Saturday night at a pee wee game and the announcer congratulates a few teams ranked in the state of Ohio for pee wee. Tell me this can't be true. Whats next Mel kipper ranking 8 year olds.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-12, 11:51 AM
All District

thenation is on a distinguished road
The NFPA has always ranked youth football. Actually they are pretty accurate despite the whiny parent and daddy baller coaches that post in their forum. If you were at a game that congratulated a few teams then you must have been at Hamilton or Edgewood. Both good programs and should be proud. I understand one of the two Hamilton 6th grade teams is very good and dominant in the OVYFL this year. Even heard they shut out Fairfield Red. Also Edgewoods 6th grade Blue has come out of no where and been blowing teams up. I even heard the coaches got into some trouble for scoring. Heard they are big, fast and play nasty defense. My nephew plays for Madison and got beat by this team in the summer, hadn't been beat in years, I think they're still pissed. My understanding is one of the Edgewood 2nd grade teams will not be beaten this year period. Good to see that program back on the map.
Old 10-01-12, 12:42 PM
All District

westsideballer is on a distinguished road
The mighty have fallen. Ross Rams 6th grade stops Edgewood Blue 2-0 yesterday at Edgewood. This is the same Ross Rams who played in the OVYFL championship game as 4th graders and won a Super Bowl in the SFL last year as 5th graders. Solid team with good athletes. Funny thing is the Edgewood White 6th grade beat Ross earlier this year 8-6 and Edgewood Blue is supposed to be the better team. It will be interesting in Edgewood in 2 weeks when Blue plays White the final game of the regular season.
Old 10-01-12, 01:15 PM
All District

Wow! Hadn't heard that one. 2-0? A safety wins the game? Not exactly a shoot out but sounds like a real slobber knocker. Would like to see Ross, Madison, Edgewood and the Hamilton Blue Stars in some tournament play this fall. Bring your own ambulance...lol. What about Little Miami and Oak Hills? Anybody heard if they are still any good? What happened to the mighty Three Rivers??
Old 10-01-12, 01:21 PM
All American

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Best pee wee football in Cincy is played by the Catholic grade schools (now GCYL, used to be CYO on the eastside and Western League, I think, on the west) . Anytime we ever played one of these community sponsored teams we beat them up pretty good. I remember scrimaging a "2 time Super Bowl champ" from Clermont Co. and being surprised that we handled them easily (I think it was 4th/5th graders). And honestly we were just average at best.
Old 10-01-12, 01:28 PM
All World

BlueBomber94 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin20 View Post
Best pee wee football in Cincy is played by the Catholic grade schools (now GCYL, used to be CYO on the eastside and Western League, I think, on the west) . Anytime we ever played one of these community sponsored teams we beat them up pretty good. I remember scrimaging a "2 time Super Bowl champ" from Clermont Co. and being surprised that we handled them easily (I think it was 4th/5th graders). And honestly we were just average at best.
Yeah, all the catholic feeder schools to the high schools have a great football. Our Lady Of Lourdes and Our Lady Of Visitation are always, top dog on the West Side. I'd like to see them play some other teams. Sometimes Visitation would invite a Burlington, CANADA team and whoop em up and sometimes Visitation would get whooped. Also they would scrimmage the Oak Hills Middle Schools and whoop them up too.
Old 10-01-12, 01:34 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBomber94 View Post
Yeah, all the catholic feeder schools to the high schools have a great football. Our Lady Of Lourdes and Our Lady Of Visitation are always, top dog on the West Side. I'd like to see them play some other teams. Sometimes Visitation would invite a Burlington, CANADA team and whoop em up and sometimes Visitation would get whooped. Also they would scrimmage the Oak Hills Middle Schools and whoop them up too.
The IHM/ST.V varsity went to Gatlinburg last Thanksgiving and won 3 games in 3 days by an average score of like 35-6. Supposedly these were good teams from the East and Midwest but I have no idea. I guess they thought they were good enough to travel to Tenn. with a chance of winning.
Old 10-01-12, 02:09 PM
All American

middieforever3 is on a distinguished road
worse thread ever
Old 10-01-12, 02:11 PM
All Ohio

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by middieforever3 View Post
worse thread ever
Worst, also. I'm waiting for someone to talk about how big of a beast one of these kids are or detailing how much upside they have, lol.
Old 10-01-12, 02:17 PM
All World

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Worst, also. I'm waiting for someone to talk about how big of a beast one of these kids are or detailing how much upside they have, lol.
It's bad enough we all have a jones for teenage boys playing football, having a jones for 8 and 9 years old playing football is SO much worse....
Old 10-01-12, 02:23 PM
All Yappi

the_big_toe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin20 View Post
I can't imagine why someone would set something up like this for these kids. How sad would it be to have one of your life's big accomplishments to be a pee wee "Super Bowl Championship"? Dude, your life peaked before you even got to high school.
Old 10-01-12, 02:37 PM
All American

Yeah, kinda funny but that's what they called it.
Old 10-01-12, 02:40 PM
All Yappi

kent16 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_big_toe View Post
I can't imagine why someone would set something up like this for these kids. How sad would it be to have one of your life's big accomplishments to be a pee wee "Super Bowl Championship"? Dude, your life peaked before you even got to high school.
I'm sure it's a nice little money maker for the people who created it
Old 10-01-12, 02:41 PM
All District

civilwarrior is on a distinguished road
Close this, it is so far off what yappi is about in my humble opinion.
Old 10-01-12, 03:42 PM
All World

Quote:
If that was your biggest accomplishment in life, then that would be your problem, not the folks that set it up.

I'm guessing that would have been your biggest life accomplishment?
Old 10-01-12, 04:03 PM
All Ohio

geekers is on a distinguished road
somebody pass the popcorn..this should be good reedin'!
Old 10-01-12, 04:21 PM
All American

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Ranking PeeWee teams like this is entirely appropriate - if you're Jerry Sandusky.
Old 10-01-12, 04:28 PM
All Yappi

the_big_toe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
If that was your biggest accomplishment in life, then that would be your problem, not the folks that set it up.
Actually, it is also irritating for those of us who bump into people like you socially (at a bar or restaurant, years later) and we end up having to hear you drone on and on and on about how GREAT you were back in the day. It's really pathetic when that "back in the day" is back in grade school.

Ooops, did I say "you" instead of "them" or "they". Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
I'm guessing that would have been your biggest life accomplishment?
Is that your best attempt at an ad hominem?
Old 10-01-12, 07:08 PM
All American

hoodrat is on a distinguished road
Isn't this the High School football forum? Geesh.......
Old 10-01-12, 07:50 PM
All Ohio

Lynus24 is on a distinguished road
This is freakin funny....got me thinking about a kid I played pee-wee ball with....guy was an absolute beast...5'10" about 240 could run like a deer. He would walk to practice smoking cigarettes at the age of 12...I think he's in prison now...honest to god's truth. He could be talking about those great days of pee-wee football too.
Old 10-01-12, 08:16 PM
All Ohio

88streaks is on a distinguished road
Why is this thread even open!?
Old 10-02-12, 04:31 AM
All Region

edgewood cougars 101 is on a distinguished road
edgewood k-1 blue 6-0 ranked 3rd in state
Old 10-02-12, 05:55 AM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
Can someone name me the kids that are in the Pee Wee Heisman watch? I hear Kenny Ibreaktaclesoki is the front runner.
Old 10-02-12, 06:44 AM
All District

Pee Wee football is for fun and really helps develope a genuine interest in the sport. I know my son really took to football after he started playing it. He got super interested in all levels of football when he got good at it, started, and was having fun. I say leave it alone, they can call their championship game whatever thay want, Super Bowl, Superdy Duperty Bowl whatever.....If you don't like it move on. And for those of you who are, stop projecting your glory days banter onto people who are proud of their kids and having fun with it. You're the one at the bar brooding over your lack luster one year varsity career. Its a good thing all the real studs on the team grew up and moved on so the truth went with them. Its ok snapper head we won't tell them how you lettered on the kick off team.......I can hear ole Bruce now......
Old 10-02-12, 07:08 AM
All District

tune89 is on a distinguished road
I think some pee wee programs are taking a hit on the number of youths playing football. Flag football is increasing in popularity due to the concussion concerns. Kids do not have to play tackle football at young age to be sucessul at football. Tom Brady didnt start playing til 14.
Old 10-02-12, 07:37 AM
All World

Quote:
Actually, it is also irritating for those of us who bump into people like you socially (at a bar or restaurant, years later) and we end up having to hear you drone on and on and on about how GREAT you were back in the day. It's really pathetic when that "back in the day" is back in grade school. Ooops, did I say "you" instead of "them" or "they". Sorry.
Is that your best attempt at an ad hominem?
Nice try going off topic.

Like I said, it's YOUR problem if that's your life's greatest accomplishment. Some of us have evolved since grade school.

Again, I don't see a problem in holding such events. Do you?
Old 10-02-12, 08:24 AM
All American

wildbill044
I still haven't really heard anything about rankings of the peewee's. Where is this list? This isn't even possible on a national level- even if you do attend one of the tournaments in Tennessee. It's barely possible on a local level at the end of the season. All leagues have their super bowls. Some leagues are competitive, most are recreational and instructional as it should be pre- jr high.

As someone who's coached 4 different youth teams over the last 10 years in non-competitive Milford, I can say that there are good and bad teams out there in every league. CYO isn't that much better than any other. We played in the CYFL, which is a solid league, but has weight requirements every week. In that league we diluted the talent over 2-4 teams so everyone got plenty of playing time. In scrimmages over the years we got our as ses handed to us by CYO teams and we beat a couple. We took our entire team one year to the SOYFAI league. One team per age. That league was much more challenging for our kids than the CYFL because we were essentially playing against all star teams. The weight restrictions were different. I understand some parents in Lakota wanted to form an "outlaw" league a few years ago- essentially a select peewee league, and I'm sure that was another step up. Still, there's NO WAY you can say your youth team is ranked this or that when you are only playing other teams in your league and the Catholics and the publics are not mixing.

Are you going to use the Tennessee tournament as the barometer? Can't do that really either, but you can get close. We took a team to Knoxville in 2010 to play in the "Battle in Rocky Top" "national championships". First they ask you what your record was during the year and did you want to play in the American or National division. I'm guessing one of those is for select and one for recreational. They then tried to match you up with 2-3 other teams who claimed to be in your bracket. We ended up playing three games in two days. All three teams we played were Tennessee teams that were twice our size, but played smashmouth. Our spread was something they weren't prepared to deal with and we won 2 out of 3 games, losing the third in the last minute. I remember their coaches/ players/ and parents lamenting that they were playing "another cincinnati team". forest Hills ended up beating Lakota for the "championship" in our bracket 8-6. The funny thing is, none of that was listed on their website. We took two teams from Milford that year alone and I know many have gone down since but not even a mention in the "past attendees" section.

Point is it was all for fun and a memorable experience. We had a great time that weekend and that's why we went.

More on the tournament, visit their website. Apparently it's been combined with the kick off classic tournament.

http://www.leaguelineup.com/welcome....ttleinrockytop

also, found it funny that the stud from Louisille Trinity James Quick was a stud in this tournament as well. Look at the 2006 11U MVP

http://www.leaguelineup.com/miscinfo...&sid=359284747

Last edited by wildbill044; 10-02-12 at 09:58 AM..
Old 10-02-12, 08:29 AM
All Region

warriordad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND SLAM View Post
Saturday night at a pee wee game and the announcer congratulates a few teams ranked in the state of Ohio for pee wee. Tell me this can't be true. Whats next Mel kipper ranking 8 year olds.
It's a JOKE to rank 8 yr olds IMO.
Old 10-02-12, 09:40 AM
All District

HSFB is on a distinguished road
I agree, warriordad, ranking 8 yr. olds at a bit much.
Old 10-02-12, 03:41 PM
Junior Varsity

Cocky14 is on a distinguished road
Went to "Rocky Top" Had a blast beat a Boone County KY team lost to a Joplin Mo team and They told us no Allstar teams or all the kids had to be from the same school/town and the Host team The "Pilot Fire" were all studs they were as tall as us Coaches and they were the real deal. Don't get hung up on the rankings it is all fun teaching a sport you love to kids that want to learn. Shout out the the local WOJFC in Dayton area fairly competitive and lots of fun.