Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Notices

Old 08-14-12, 08:37 PM
Freshman

Boltblogger is on a distinguished road
Will it be Avon Lake again in the Southwestern Conference?

As in most years, Avon Lake is the choice of many to win the Southwestern Conference football title again. I have talked to some people who think Brecksville will have a good shot, and you can never, ever count out Jim Ryan's Olmsted Falls teams.

But how about North Olmsted? The Eagles have 36 lettermen back from a 5-5 team in 2011 that came a few plays away from being 7-3. This story was posted just this evening at beafanatic.com:

http://www.beafanatic.com/news.php?r...#axzz23LVL4Cap

The story says North Olmsted's numbers are back up and that they have a nice group of skilled players coming back. Do the Eagles have enough to win the SWC this year?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-12, 08:44 PM
All Yappi

cjb56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltblogger View Post
As in most years, Avon Lake is the choice of many to win the Southwestern Conference football title again. I have talked to some people who think Brecksville will have a good shot, and you can never, ever count out Jim Ryan's Olmsted Falls teams.

But how about North Olmsted? The Eagles have 36 lettermen back from a 5-5 team in 2011 that came a few plays away from being 7-3. This story was posted just this evening at beafanatic.com:

http://www.beafanatic.com/news.php?r...#axzz23LVL4Cap

The story says North Olmsted's numbers are back up and that they have a nice group of skilled players coming back. Do the Eagles have enough to win the SWC this year?
Didn't get to see it, but I heard North Olmsted got worked over pretty hard by Avon last Saturday. The Eagles of N.O. just can never seem to get over the hump in the SWC, though they usually have talent. Falls will always be in the hunt with Ryan, but I think it's between Avon Lake and Brecksville this year. Brecksville needs to keep Tupa healthy, because Avon Lake doesn't respond well to solid passing attacks.
Old 08-14-12, 08:57 PM
Freshman

I think Avon is going to work over a bunch of teams...maybe even Avon Lake for a third year in a row! I agree with you on the Brecksville comment. But if North Olmsted's defense can get the job done, the Eagles might just stay in the race until at least Week 8 or so.
Old 08-14-12, 09:12 PM
All Yappi

cjb56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltblogger View Post
I think Avon is going to work over a bunch of teams...maybe even Avon Lake for a third year in a row! I agree with you on the Brecksville comment. But if North Olmsted's defense can get the job done, the Eagles might just stay in the race until at least Week 8 or so.
North Olmsted was close last year, so maybe they can get over the hump this season and win the title. Heck, an 8-2 probably gets them in the playoffs in R1. Getting Elyria off the schedule will help, because they are going to bury a lot of teams in 2012.

What I would really like to eventually see is Avon, Lakewood, Midview and North Ridgeville merge into the SWC, but it's not going to happen.
Old 08-15-12, 01:28 AM
All Region

Monsignor is on a distinguished road
ya got to run with the big dogs...

Avoiding Elyria would improve N.Olmstead's playoff chances?

I say play 'em anyway! Compete at a higher level and let the kids have fun.

This is why Avon Lake will continue to decline. They blow thru a patsy schedule and then get crushed in the playoffs. Last year then won eight straight and still missed the playoffs. Avon Lake would probably drop Avon off the schedule if they could.
Old 08-15-12, 07:18 AM
All Ohio

Myron is on a distinguished road
Brecksville has been the one team, since it joined the SWC in 2005, that hasn't seemed intimidated by Avon Lake's 'aura/mystique,' and would not be a surprise to win the league. Especially with the best QB the league has seen in a long time, and a solid group of athletes.

I have heard the same things all you jave about North, though they have had a couple good RBs in Remy and Tomlinson who have now graduated. Maybe North kept hearing the nice expectations, and the drubbing by Avon (no embarrassment there) will get them into better focus.

Falls could struggle to make the playoffs this year; but repeating what has been stated already, Ryan will maximize what his team is capable of. If they are a six-win team, rest assured that is about the best they were capable of.

Westlake??? They've been making noise about contending for several years and are perennially a 4th-6th place team. Any news on what they have?
Old 08-15-12, 08:54 AM
All Yappi

cjb56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsignor View Post
Avoiding Elyria would improve N.Olmstead's playoff chances?

I say play 'em anyway! Compete at a higher level and let the kids have fun.

This is why Avon Lake will continue to decline. They blow thru a patsy schedule and then get crushed in the playoffs. Last year then won eight straight and still missed the playoffs. Avon Lake would probably drop Avon off the schedule if they could.
I agree with your philosophy. I'm not saying North Olmsted should have dropped Elyria, or even that they did (Elyria may have dropped them). I'm only saying that Elyria would very likely have been a loss, and not having that loss could be enough to get them into the Region 1 playoff field with an 8-2 record. Would they be as prepared as they would have if they had to battle a strong Elyria team this year? No.

Avon Lake was just moved up to D1 for the first time. It will be hard for them to make the playoffs, and compete at D1, with their schedule and enrollment numbers. The notion that they have underachieved as a program is ridiculous, however. Their worst years would be many teams best seasons in many moons. They win their league and make the playoffs nearly every season, and have done so for two decades now. They won a state title and played for another. I would stack their accomplishments up to any DIVISION 2 program in Ohio. People seem to forget they are a D2 (until last year). Maybe they could have schedule heavier in the non-conference in some years, but they've done as well as nearly any public school during Coach Dlugosz's time at the school.
Old 08-15-12, 10:07 AM
All Region

throwback
Having the smallest enrollment in Div1 makes it pretty tough. The Avon game should be a good one. Rumblings are that the Shoremen will have a passing game this year to go with a bruising running game. Their junior fullback is a beast.

It remains to be seen if offensive coordinator Laird will have more influence over coach Dlugosz's ground pound mentality. Dlugosz has a 192-41 record, state championship, and state runner-up. It is kind of hard to challenge that kind of success. His worst record at AL is 7-3. Not bad for small closed enrollment school who loses some of their best players to Eds, Ignatius, and Elyria Catholic. They probably will never have the horses to compete with the big boys at Div1 but will probably be Div 2 or the new Div 1A at the next re-alignment.
Old 08-15-12, 03:30 PM
All District

GONEATNOON is on a distinguished road
I think its Brecksville's conference to lose.........If they stay healthy and don't get pass happy they should finish 8-2. The big question is how many games if any will be interrupted by a possible teacher strike.
Old 08-15-12, 09:27 PM
All Region

iwasthatguy is on a distinguished road
Westlake is much improved- I think they will beat North Olmsted this year.
Brecksville has a great offense. What about their D though?
I also heard Avon Lake has a solid passing game to go with that great running game- plus their D will be good.
OF- lot of questions.

I think Avon Lake gets it done. I also think they will pound Avon this year.
Old 08-15-12, 10:30 PM
All Yappi

cjb56
Pound Avon? After being outscored 59-10 by Avon the last two times, Avon Lake would be happy with a one point win in triple overtime. I'm pretty sure Avon would be happy just winning again by any margin.
Old 08-16-12, 07:51 AM
All American

clevfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwasthatguy View Post
Westlake is much improved- I think they will beat North Olmsted this year.
Brecksville has a great offense. What about their D though?
I also heard Avon Lake has a solid passing game to go with that great running game- plus their D will be good.
OF- lot of questions.

I think Avon Lake gets it done. I also think they will pound Avon this year.
I heard Westlake handled Lakewood last Saturday, a result opposite of last year's scrimmage. Lakewood lost a lot to graduation and might struggle early, but I heard Westlake was big and physical.

I'm happy to hear North Olmsted's numbers are back up, and they won't be an easy game for anyone on their schedule, but if I had a dime for every time I've heard "they were only a few plays away from beating Avon Lake/Olmsted Falls/Amherst," then, well, you know. I'm not saying it's never going to happen, just that I wouldn't bet on it this year.
Old 08-16-12, 08:50 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevfan View Post

I'm happy to hear North Olmsted's numbers are back up, and they won't be an easy game for anyone on their schedule, but if I had a dime for every time I've heard "they were only a few plays away from beating Avon Lake/Olmsted Falls/Amherst," then, well, you know.
Boy, ain't that the truth.

Same could be said for Westlake
Old 08-16-12, 09:00 AM
All Yappi

cjb56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
Boy, ain't that the truth.

Same could be said for Westlake
You can add Berea to that list, as well. "Ohh, Berea has athletes that will blow away the SWC this year"...but it never happens.

For Berea, though, Dave McFarland is back as head coach. He's a winner, so I would expect Berea to be very competitive as long as he's the coach, and it could be real intersting next year after the merger with Midpark.
Old 08-16-12, 10:41 AM
All Region

iwasthatguy is on a distinguished road
Hey CJB, did Avon and OF scrimmage this year? Just curious about OF, they seem like a mystery this year.
Old 08-16-12, 04:00 PM
All Yappi

cjb56
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwasthatguy View Post
Hey CJB, did Avon and OF scrimmage this year? Just curious about OF, they seem like a mystery this year.
Yes, they scrimmaged OF. Being the first scrimmage, it was a little stale at the beginning. As they went, you could see Avon had a pretty good personnel advantage, and they definitely went over the top of Falls' pass defense quite often...but both teams had starters sitting a lot, mixed with back ups, doing situational stuff, etc., so it wasn't an ideal look at either team.

If you're asking for simply an eyeballing of the team? They will be hard-pressed to hang with Avon Lake and Brecksville, IMO. It does not look like one of the championship Falls teams, but Ryan and Co. do a great job...and that gives them a fighting chance.
Old 08-16-12, 06:26 PM
Grumpy

EagleFan will become famous soon enough
Avon Lake last 11 years in SWC and who they lost to:

2001: 7-0
2002: 6-1 (Olmsted Falls)
2003: 7-0
2004: 7-0
2005: 7-0
2006: 5-2 (Olmsted Falls, Brecksville)
2007: 7-0
2008: 6-1 (Brecksville)
2009: 6-1 (Olmsted Falls)
2010: 6-1 (Brecksville)
2011: 7-0

I have to believe it would be hard to predict they won't win the SWC this year. they have won or shared the title 10 of last 11 years at a minimum
Old 08-16-12, 06:35 PM
All Yappi

cjb56
Here's a preview of the Shoremen:

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2...for-avon-lake/

Here's a an audio interview of Coach Dlugosz:

http://weol.northcoastnow.com/audio/...%20dlugosz.mp3
Old 08-17-12, 06:59 AM
All American

Con_Alma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
You can add Berea to that list, as well. "Ohh, Berea has athletes that will blow away the SWC this year"...but it never happens.

For Berea, though, Dave McFarland is back as head coach. He's a winner, so I would expect Berea to be very competitive as long as he's the coach, and it could be real intersting next year after the merger with Midpark.
Dave McFarland is the head Coach at Midpark this year not Berea. I know he wants the be the head Coach at the combined schools but rumor is it won't be him.
Old 08-17-12, 08:24 AM
All Yappi

cjb56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con_Alma View Post
Dave McFarland is the head Coach at Midpark this year not Berea. I know he wants the be the head Coach at the combined schools but rumor is it won't be him.
Uh oh. In that case, expect a fight from Midpark. Berea will be the same old story. It's too bad McFarland can't get the combined school coaching job. He's the best coach in the system, by far.
Old 08-17-12, 01:53 PM
All Ohio

Since Brecksville joined the SWC in 2005, note from EagleFan's post that they have alternated seasons beating Avon Lake.

If the pattern holds, it is the Bees turn again this year...

Also interesting that only Falls and Brecksville have beaten them in this time period. I am guessing the last loss Avon Lake had to a non-Falls/Bees SWC team would have been to one of the solid Amherst teams around '98-'00.

Last edited by Myron; 08-17-12 at 03:47 PM..
Old 08-17-12, 07:03 PM
Varsity

Champ Kind is on a distinguished road
Brecksville's biggest obstacle to winning the SWC is the impending teachers' strike.
Old 08-18-12, 09:11 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
Brecksville has been the one team, since it joined the SWC in 2005, that hasn't seemed intimidated by Avon Lake's 'aura/mystique,' and would not be a surprise to win the league. Especially with the best QB the league has seen in a long time, and a solid group of athletes.

I have heard the same things all you jave about North, though they have had a couple good RBs in Remy and Tomlinson who have now graduated. Maybe North kept hearing the nice expectations, and the drubbing by Avon (no embarrassment there) will get them into better focus.

Falls could struggle to make the playoffs this year; but repeating what has been stated already, Ryan will maximize what his team is capable of. If they are a six-win team, rest assured that is about the best they were capable of.

Westlake??? They've been making noise about contending for several years and are perennially a 4th-6th place team. Any news on what they have?
There is an early preseason Westlake football story at beafanatic.com. Sounds like they're still making the same noise.
Old 08-20-12, 02:31 PM
All Region

throwback
Per the Plain Dealer today, Avon will have 10 players suspended for the first 2 games this season. Coach Elder had no comment as to who the 10 were or why they were suspended other than they had violated team rules. It might have a major impact on Friday night's game depending on which players are on suspension. Miraculously the "I was that guy" prediction of a pounding might come true. I'm sure the Shoremen would rather play them at full strength. Game is at AL.
Old 08-20-12, 03:53 PM
All Yappi

cjb56
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwback View Post
Per the Plain Dealer today, Avon will have 10 players suspended for the first 2 games this season. Coach Elder had no comment as to who the 10 were or why they were suspended other than they had violated team rules. It might have a major impact on Friday night's game depending on which players are on suspension. Miraculously the "I was that guy" prediction of a pounding might come true. I'm sure the Shoremen would rather play them at full strength. Game is at AL.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Avon win anyway. It will just be tougher with the ten players out.
Old 08-22-12, 10:00 AM
All Region

throwback
CJB- Avon will allegedly have 6 starters missing. Would you like to reconsider your prediction? It sucks that this happened but kudos to coach Elder and the Avon administration for addressing it.
Old 08-22-12, 10:48 AM
All Yappi

cjb56
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwback View Post
CJB- Avon will allegedly have 6 starters missing. Would you like to reconsider your prediction? It sucks that this happened but kudos to coach Elder and the Avon administration for addressing it.
No, I still think Avon will win a close game. Avon will still have more experienced players on the field that night. AL is breaking in more inexperienced starters this year. If Avon can keep Lucas from running wild, they stand a great chance of winning. It should be a good game, either way.
Old 08-22-12, 01:34 PM
All Region

throwback
You might be underestimating the AL passing game this year. My sources tell me it is a major upgrade to last year's. Packing 8 in the box might be a problem for Avon as a strategy. AL's lines are big again this year and they also have some speed on the outside. The offense up the middle will be very strong. What would have been a close game won't be due to Avon's missing starters. Last year's Avon team is gone and they too will have a lot of inexperience. My guess is that Dlugosz will pound the middle with his star full back until Avon stops him and then open up a little to the outside receivers. That's been Coach D's style. He will make you stop him pounding you to set up the pass. The big question is how effective Avon's Offense will be missing some starters.
Old 08-22-12, 06:29 PM
All Yappi

cjb56
Yes, I've heard AL could have a good passing game this year, so that's a factor.

I guess I base Avon winning a close game on a few observations.

-- Look at the 2010 game, when an experienced Avon Lake team...with a great returning passing game with Toy at QB, Willoughby at WR (a D1 recruit), the other WR (who was an all-SWC player, and I cannot remember his name for some reason), and a Mihalik at TE (a D1 recruit)...and a big strong line led by Bohan (a D1 recruit), and Avon's defense held them to a FG in a 21-3 win. That was a young Avon team coming off a 6-4 season.

-- Avon's new starters won't be inexperienced, because Coach Elder develops depth during the season by rotating players in and out constantly, and by putting two or three back ups at a time in the games to give them real experience...even in playoff games. Avon Lake, on the other hand, typically puts in new starters each season who only have JV experience, because they tend to play their starters...especially senior starters...nearly every snap. They improve as the year goes on, but they will be green in a season opener.

-- Avon returns big experienced lines on both sides of scrimmage, which always helps.

-- Avon Lake has always been susceptable to complex pass offenses, and that is a signature of Avon's program.

-- Finally, I think Avon is AL's heads a little bit, judging by some of the comments in the AL preview in the newspaper. Now Avon gets to play the underdog role in this game, too, so I'm thinking AL might press too much.

Nobody really knows what will happen, though, and I expect another good, clean game between these two border rivals. As Coach Dlugosz would point out, the team that wins will be the team that makes the fewest mistakes.
Old 08-22-12, 10:05 PM
All Ohio

FremontKeith is on a distinguished road
What are the chances of the Brecksville-Broadview Hts teachers actually going out on strike?